Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Malignaggi's Letter to Guerrero
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
Akknelle
This comes from Ringtv.com, per Malignaggi. What are you guys' take on this?

An Open Letter To Robert “The Disappearing Ghost” Guerrero from Paulie “Magic Man” Malignaggi

Dear Robert:

For the past 3 months, you and your team have attempted to trick the media and boxing public into believing that you were on a short list to fight the best fighter in the world, Floyd Mayweather. You also called out every Golden Boy Promotions boxer you could between 135 to 147 pounds, proclaiming your health after shoulder surgery and your readiness to step into the ring in a big fight on May 5th. Every time you had a big bowel movement, your publicist sent an email blast about it.

Two days ago, you and I were offered to fight each other on May 5th as an important supporting pay-per-view bout on the Mayweather vs. Cotto blockbuster PPV. I am sure you will agree that Mayweather vs. Cotto will be the biggest pay-per-view show of the year and on the biggest platform imaginable at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas and on HBO PPV. Millions of boxing fans will have the opportunity to finally see if you can back up your recent widespread chatter on the internet.

Robert, I accepted the challenge to fight you within 2 hours of being offered the fight. But I have been informed by our promoter, Golden Boy Promotions, that you have categorically refused to fight me. This news was absolutely shocking to me because I have seen you transform yourself from a cute, soft spoken, California kid to well…someone like me. I give you props for trying to wake up the old boxing farts with sound bites like telling Mayweather to “Step Up Punk” or telling Victor Ortiz 3 days ago that “if you’re really a true warrior, you’ll step in the ring with me.” But take it from an older and wiser Magic Man that has never needed to hide behind a publicist and has always backed up his words by stepping in with the best fighters in the world….if you start talking the way you have been talking…you better be ready to accept whatever challenges come your way.

Robert, I know that you and your team have been present in the Arena for my past two fights and you have seen how good I have looked in dismantling my opponents. And maybe your advisors think that all the garlic in Gilroy won’t protect you should we fight on May 5th. But you need to find the Mexican warrior within yourself and back up your hot air by stepping into the ring on the day of pride and heritage for your people, Cinco De Mayo. Because if you think you deserve to fight the elite boxers in this world, you need to earn it with more than just a trigger happy publicist. You are a paper Champion that has never fought anyone in the Top 100 of boxing. Beating a geriatric Joel Casamayor or the Australian punching bag that is Michael Katsidis does not earn you the right to call out Floyd Mayweather, Amir Khan, and Victor Ortiz. Beating me on May 5th might get you one step closer to that honor.

So come on, Robert. Don’t become a big joke with the boxing world. What are you afraid of? Coming off shoulder surgery? I have had more surgery on my hands than an aging Beverly Hills housewife. Are you for real or are you truly just a ghost with a good publicist?

Always,
The Magic Man

Akknelle
Here's the link, in case anyone's interested.

http://ringtv.craveonline.com/blog/171463-...-in-open-letter
p4pcrown
Guerrero should take the fight..being on that card alone will give him great exposure and the chance to show everyone if he's the real deal like he continues to say he is. He also gets to fight someone in Malignaggi who's fought some of the best in the business. Take the fight Guerrero.
mitukczuk
This is why I like Malignaggi. Dude has a big mouth but he speaks the words of truth. Definitely worth reading!
PlayaPartner
I like this. Put up or shut up Geurrero!!!
BoxingEinstein

Let's do it!! Really interesting fight. The Magic Man is right, The Ghost should've took the fight with Lucas Matthysse or get the winner for Morales/Garcia or maybe even take on Jessie Vargas in order for him set himself up as an elite fighter. The welterweight and jr. welterweight division is locked with all the best fighting each other and The Ghost had a chance to fight one of them but instead ran his mouth. Paulie can school The Ghost with his speed, precision, and experience. The Ghost was a fool for/if turning this fight down.
jrosales13
What's funnier than that letter is the excuse and reason that Guerrero made for not taking that fight.
Akknelle
This was Guerrero's response.

"Look at the facts Paulie, why did I turn you down? You're a tremendous puncher? NO! You make for fan friendly fights? NO! You are a HBO or Showtime approved fighter? NO! Fact is, Eric Gomez at Golden Boy said you wouldn't be approved to fight on a date that isn't a Pay Per View. So if our promoter can convince a network that you are worthy enough to be on your own date, then let's rumble. I got a Shark Tank waiting."

Now, for some reason, Guerrero feels he is worthy to headline his own card, he'd rather do that than go on the Mayweather-Cotto undercard, where he'd get a lot of exposure. At least that's what it sounds like. Which means, he's delusional lol.

jrosales13
QUOTE (Akknelle @ Feb 13 2012, 05:25 PM) *
This was Guerrero's response.

"Look at the facts Paulie, why did I turn you down? You're a tremendous puncher? NO! You make for fan friendly fights? NO! You are a HBO or Showtime approved fighter? NO! Fact is, Eric Gomez at Golden Boy said you wouldn't be approved to fight on a date that isn't a Pay Per View. So if our promoter can convince a network that you are worthy enough to be on your own date, then let's rumble. I got a Shark Tank waiting."

Now, for some reason, Guerrero feels he is worthy to headline his own card, he'd rather do that than go on the Mayweather-Cotto undercard, where he'd get a lot of exposure. At least that's what it sounds like. Which means, he's delusional lol.

It's fine that Guerrero wants to headline his own card. But, his advisers/managers should tell him. That he would get more exposure on the undercard of Maweather-Cotto like you said. Than as the main even of HBO BAD.

Pretty much what happened was that Guerrero let his mouth write a check that his ass is not willing to cash.
daprofessor
malignaggi has just enough speed and movement to make guerrero look very ordinary. if he's smart...he'll seek out a bigger name fighter that is more stationary than the magic man. if he does in fact fight him...anything short of a ko is going to be a disappointment and will kill his chances at bigger pay days.
Cshel86
QUOTE (Akknelle @ Feb 13 2012, 04:25 PM) *
You make for fan friendly fights? NO! You are a HBO or Showtime approved fighter? NO!

Wow...look at the kettle calling the pot black! Guerrero cant seem to land meaningful fights, and when he happens to, something always gets in the way. Truth is, Paulie has fought waaaay more credible opponents than Guerrero, even if the fight was great because he was getting his ass kicked.

Paulie's fought the likes of Cotto, Hatton, Diaz (twice), N'Dou, and Khan. Who has Guerrero fought? Escobedo (unknown, but impressive fight), Katsidis, and his bar buddy Casamayor. Boo hoo!

The funniest part was a couple of years ago, Malignaggi's name was mentioned to face Mayweather, and how did Guerrero's name even get brought up? Yep, thanks to his publicist....
cuzzo707
Paulie does have the tools to make Robert look like a normal fighter with no polish lol. Hey RG there it is, you opened your mouth about a fight and somebody is on your doorstep. What you gon do?
checkleft
As I suspected guerrero your all talk.. before I had a suspicion you ducked out of the maidana card. Now I'm almost sure.
Cshel86
QUOTE (checkleft @ Feb 13 2012, 09:08 PM) *
As I suspected guerrero your all talk.. before I had a suspicion you ducked out of the maidana card. Now I'm almost sure.

Hold that thought, you may be onto something cool.gif
checkleft
Haha been suspecting it for a while..

On another note if maidana wins he's probably in there for a mayweather fight.
Cshel86
QUOTE (checkleft @ Feb 13 2012, 09:28 PM) *
On another note if maidana wins he's probably in there for a mayweather fight.

I can only imagine how much ridicule Mayweather would endure if this fight were to be signed. The thing that would take the edge off of it, would be if it came down to the finale of a tournament. Even then, Floyd would probably catch hell for that as well...
mitukczuk
QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Feb 13 2012, 10:03 PM) *
I can only imagine how much ridicule Mayweather would endure if this fight were to be signed. The thing that would take the edge off of it, would be if it came down to the finale of a tournament. Even then, Floyd would probably catch hell for that as well...

Totally agree with you C'. Maidana vs. Floyd is unthinkable...
Cshel86
QUOTE (mitukczuk @ Feb 14 2012, 07:04 AM) *
Totally agree with you C'. Maidana vs. Floyd is unthinkable...

Yep. Floyd can only talk so much trash, but when a language barrier is present (such as it is with Maidana), then it somewhat sucks the fun out of it. Now, if an off-site incident such as a scuffle or what not, were to hapen between the two, then it may strike the interest of the people. Other than that, I really dont see that happening.

Mr. Guerrero has some heavy lifting to do before he is even mentioned for a big fight. Maybe he should fight the winner of Soto/Matthysse, then he can at least begin to talk some trash if the fight is impressive.

As of now, Malignaggi is his best choice, and is a safe fight that will test his skill, since we know Paulie still has speed, good movement, and decent reflexes.
Th3rd
Stupid for Guerrero to decline this opportunity. A chance to fight in front of millions of viewers on one of the biggest cards of 2012. As a boxing fan i'm not too thrilled about the match up style-wise but for Guerrero to walk away from this is making him look bad
Franchize
Robert Guerrero is so delusional. Paulie is on the downside of his career and hits about as hard as my daughter (who's 2). That being said, he still has a bigger name than Robert Guerrero. Contrary to Robert's belief, casual fans will watch that fight and say "who's that guy Paulies fighting?" Not the other way around.
daprofessor
QUOTE (Th3rd @ Feb 14 2012, 11:46 AM) *
Stupid for Guerrero to decline this opportunity. A chance to fight in front of millions of viewers on one of the biggest cards of 2012. As a boxing fan i'm not too thrilled about the match up style-wise but for Guerrero to walk away from this is making him look bad

that is a very solid point!

coupled with this....

QUOTE (Franchize @ Feb 14 2012, 03:03 PM) *
Robert Guerrero is so delusional. Paulie is on the downside of his career and hits about as hard as my daughter (who's 2). That being said, he still has a bigger name than Robert Guerrero. Contrary to Robert's belief, casual fans will watch that fight and say "who's that guy Paulies fighting?" Not the other way around.

guerrero should take this fight if no other options are available on that date. there won't be a bigger stage for him to stake his claim. score an explosive ko on this show and u'll guarantee urself a good pay day to follow it up.
Cshel86
QUOTE (Franchize @ Feb 14 2012, 02:03 PM) *
Contrary to Robert's belief, casual fans will watch that fight and say "who's that guy Paulies fighting?" Not the other way around.

Well worded! The nerve of Robert, huh? dirol.gif
daprofessor
QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Feb 14 2012, 09:15 PM) *
Well worded! The nerve of Robert, huh? dirol.gif

i liked that line. laugh.gif
Cshel86
QUOTE (daprofessor @ Feb 14 2012, 08:32 PM) *
i liked that line. laugh.gif

laugh.gif

Thanks! Im still laughing at this letter! It had to be the most truthful, condescending, slap-in-the-face, message that I've read in a long while!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.