Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Mayweathers and other people
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
Pages: 1, 2
mgrover
I don't get it with this guy, why's it always the damn race card? he always pulls it out, first with the whole Manny pacman I sure remember him making comments about pacman coming over to USA making money and then leaving and some other shit about him not being a fighter from the USA, then in that radio interview were he rang up he started saying he was being discriminated against because he was black and then now on the front page trying to talk down someone elses achievement, and the funny thing his father does it too, in that interview constantly saying shit about roach which was funny, saying that they gave him trainer of the year cause he's ill? I don't see it. is it just me? or do they seem to talk down other peoples achievements as if nobody is as good as them.
Hotsauce
freddie roach is a little bit of overrated
mgrover
QUOTE (Hotsauce @ Feb 14 2012, 08:57 PM) *
freddie roach is a little bit of overrated

i can live with that, but saying he only won cause hes ill is attempting to take from a mans achievement
daprofessor
QUOTE (mgrover @ Feb 14 2012, 04:41 PM) *
I don't get it with this guy, why's it always the damn race card? he always pulls it out, first with the whole Manny pacman I sure remember him making comments about pacman coming over to USA making money and then leaving and some other shit about him not being a fighter from the USA, then in that radio interview were he rang up he started saying he was being discriminated against because he was black and then now on the front page trying to talk down someone elses achievement, and the funny thing his father does it too, in that interview constantly saying shit about roach which was funny, saying that they gave him trainer of the year cause he's ill? I don't see it. is it just me? or do they seem to talk down other peoples achievements as if nobody is as good as them.

i've been in gyms all my life....and for the most part, ego seems to be the common denominator in most fighters. some are worse than others. the mayweathers have huge egos. it comes with the territory. as for the race card thing...they're from the midwest. that area of the country seems to be stuck in the past concerning race relations. what he is saying isn't totally true...but i get it. let's not act like an asian performing on this level isn't a big deal.
mgrover
QUOTE (daprofessor @ Feb 14 2012, 10:31 PM) *
i've been in gyms all my life....and for the most part, ego seems to be the common denominator in most fighters. some are worse than others. the mayweathers have huge egos. it comes with the territory. as for the race card thing...they're from the midwest. that area of the country seems to be stuck in the past concerning race relations. what he is saying isn't totally true...but i get it. let's not act like an asian performing on this level isn't a big deal.

i dont follow basketball personally so i cant comment on the last bit, but hes constantly crying about people not giving him his dues and how being black is made it a hard road for him, hes no ali hell he lives a nice life from what hes shown fighthype has he not?yet he still cries and moans
daprofessor
QUOTE (mgrover @ Feb 14 2012, 06:37 PM) *
i dont follow basketball personally so i cant comment on the last bit, but hes constantly crying about people not giving him his dues and how being black is made it a hard road for him, hes no ali hell he lives a nice life from what hes shown fighthype has he not?yet he still cries and moans

u know...i think back to the days where he turned down the hbo contract and called it "slave wages" and i cringe. but in all honesty...he was measuring himself to his counterparts(dlh/gatti) who were making way more money and had less skill. gatti was being approved for certain opponents while he was being denied. he was being held to a higher standard because of his skill. i also think what he failed to realize at the time is that great skills don't always get u paid accordingly. he has since figured out that making urself a draw ala muhammad ali (with less wit and class of course) is a proven way to draw paying customers. in a lot of ways he has matured and grown as a person....but in many others....i.e. the situation with his pops in the gym on 24/7...he hasn't grown one bit. success sometimes breeds complacency. and in this situation....he's focused on the things that make him successful. as for his character...there are areas that need some growing/maturing....but he is what he is...a fighter. he'll figure it out. hopefully.
BoxingEinstein

Terrible post topic and should be closed. This has nothing to do with boxing but only the opinion of a boxer. SMH!

thumbsdown_anim.gif

black eye.gif

wtf.gif
pesticid
I love FMJ's boxing and I have all his fights, but he is just a dumb, ignorant individual. That's a fact, you can't even dispute it. He's a walking contradiction. That's why I don't care to know about fighter's personality cause I don't want this to take away from me watching a great fighter fight, but at the same time a spade is a spade. FMJ is a bigot and racist. His latest tweet against J Lin is another racially motivated comment. They are not talking about Lin cause he is Asian. They are talking about him cause he was undrafted, went to Harvard, graduated with Economics and in his first 5 games in NBA nobody has put the numbers that he's put up. That's the main reason he's talked about, not because he is Asian. If all black players were as good as J Lin then Knicks would win with Melo and Amare one would think. If Lin was black, I mean he would get talked about just as much if not even more. Not even AI has put the numbers that Lin put, Lebron who was talked about a lot more way before he got in the NBA didn't put the numbers that Lin put in 5 games. That's why Lin gets talked about a lot. He also didn't come with any of the pom poms that other NBA players came to the leagues, his contract wasn't even guaranteed until last week and he was like the last player on Knicks' bench. That just goes to show you that he always had the skills but he was always overlooked. Like Kobe said, players don't come out of nowhere, meaning Lin didn't come out of nowhere he was just overlooked for one reason or another, his background might have smth to do with it.
Cshel86
Wow, this is good stuff! I cant lie, both of you (Grover and Professor have excellent points. We all know that when it comes to Mayweather, there aren't many out there who can deny his skills, training methods, and overall knowledge of the sport. No matter how many people speak bad about him, they cant deny his talent.

As far as what Professor brought up about Floyd trying to break through the business and get what he felt he deserved, that's absolutely correct. There were guys (DLH, Gatti, etc) who were getting all of the big breaks, paydays, whatever. Im sure we've ALL felt like this at one point in the job field...there's always those few people who do less than shit, aren't as dedicated, and/or may not be as good as you, but they ALWAYS seem to move up in the ranks.

With that said, Im sure that all of that old shit still bothers him to a degree, regardless of how much money he makes nowadays. When he speaks on race/ethnicity, that usually makes me cringe as well, being the fact that there's so much emotion behind that subject, and let's face it, no matter how good a person sounds when they discuss racial issues, there are just some people out there who already have their minds made up that they are going act out, regardless.

Mayweather has made his path in the sport, and has been the bad guy for the longest now, but what I tend to not understand is how he appears to want people to love him at the same time. You cant have both. As we all know, there are very wealthy and successful people in the world, and Im quite sure they're assholes, with good reason. What FMJ does wrong is, he puts his thoughts out there...knowing that people already hate him since the Pacquiao fight isn't happening, and he isn't as eloquent (if you would) of a speaker.

Does he say things on record that holds much truth? For the most part, and yes, it makes sense. Again, it's hard for people to side with him and his views, when most hate him at the same time. I mean the most recent comment he made was a risky one, and he may have said it without bad intentions...but again, most people dont know how to receive him because all they can think about is "Money Mayweather".
flazi
good points daprofessor. I honestly don't find his comments racist. Controversial yes but he is correct in a way but he needs to see the whole picture. Since its so rare to see an Asian american performing so well in the NBA it becomes sort of a "wow" factor even though there are guys (black white whatever) that perform on an even higher level for years who don't get the recognition that this guy Lin has got cause its more expected of them. Just like in the movie great white hype. Like with Tiger and golf. I never watched golf but since Tiger was playing i was watching. I love the sport but honestly i was watching cause he is black. Nothing wrong with that. And if someone said "you only watch cause he's black" they would have been absolutely correct cause i wouldn't know who the hell else was playing lol. same with hockey or tennis, if a black or latino is playing i am watch cause of them. this is normal.
mitukczuk
Well I think the problem lies in his childhood. Growing up without a father (mostly) in a somewhat culturally biased mid-west while living in a bad neighbourhood (not as bad as he thinks mabybe) is bound to bring some controversy. He bailed out of school in 8th grade if I remember correctly (feel free to correct me I really am not sure).

He can't even speak without taking a break and repeating himself. He is not an educated person and he acts mainly upon emotion, he doesn't think critically because nobody has taught him how to. I am never surprised when he says something like that because without boxing, he would probably end up picking up trash. But boxing is where he's found himself and boxing is where he is Grand-Master with no-one getting even remotely close.

I'll use a quote from The Big Bang Theory "Come for the breasts, stay for the brains"...But in Floyds case it goes "Come for the brains, stay for boxing".
What I am trying to say is, if you want solid conversation or opinions...go to Klitschkos...

I tolerate Floyd's quotes because I don't care about his personality as long as he is so masterful in the ring because that's what matters. IMO
BoxingEinstein
QUOTE (mitukczuk @ Feb 14 2012, 06:40 PM) *
Well I think the problem lies in his childhood. Growing up without a father (mostly) in a somewhat culturally biased mid-west while living in a bad neighbourhood (not as bad as he thinks mabybe) is bound to bring some controversy. He bailed out of school in 8th grade if I remember correctly (feel free to correct me I really am not sure).

He can't even speak without taking a break and repeating himself. He is not an educated person and he acts mainly upon emotion, he doesn't think critically because nobody has taught him how to. I am never surprised when he says something like that because without boxing, he would probably end up picking up trash. But boxing is where he's found himself and boxing is where he is Grand-Master with no-one getting even remotely close.

I'll use a quote from The Big Bang Theory "Come for the breasts, stays for the brains"...But in Floyds case it goes "Come for the brains, stay for boxing".
What I am trying to say is, if you want solid conversation or opinions...go to Klitschkos...

I tolerate Floyd's quotes because I don't care about his personality as long as he is so masterful in the ring because that's what matters. IMO

+1 One of the best comments to date. Good stuff there.
mgrover
QUOTE (BoxingEinstein @ Feb 14 2012, 11:02 PM) *
Terrible post topic and should be closed. This has nothing to do with boxing but only the opinion of a boxer. SMH!

its mainly to do with the front page article, if you dont like it why not move along?

as ben said maybe cause its mayweather hes getting this stick? but anybody stupid or smart, educated or uneducated would of learnt by now how people react.
daprofessor
QUOTE (pesticid @ Feb 14 2012, 07:04 PM) *
I love FMJ's boxing and I have all his fights, but he is just a dumb, ignorant individual. That's a fact, you can't even dispute it. He's a walking contradiction. That's why I don't care to know about fighter's personality cause I don't want this to take away from me watching a great fighter fight, but at the same time a spade is a spade. FMJ is a bigot and racist. His latest tweet against J Lin is another racially motivated comment. They are not talking about Lin cause he is Asian. They are talking about him cause he was undrafted, went to Harvard, graduated with Economics and in his first 5 games in NBA nobody has put the numbers that he's put up. That's the main reason he's talked about, not because he is Asian. If all black players were as good as J Lin then Knicks would win with Melo and Amare one would think. If Lin was black, I mean he would get talked about just as much if not even more. Not even AI has put the numbers that Lin put, Lebron who was talked about a lot more way before he got in the NBA didn't put the numbers that Lin put in 5 games. That's why Lin gets talked about a lot. He also didn't come with any of the pom poms that other NBA players came to the leagues, his contract wasn't even guaranteed until last week and he was like the last player on Knicks' bench. That just goes to show you that he always had the skills but he was always overlooked. Like Kobe said, players don't come out of nowhere, meaning Lin didn't come out of nowhere he was just overlooked for one reason or another, his background might have smth to do with it.

so he was overlooked because he is asian....but he's not being talked about now because he's asian? huh.gif

u can't have it both ways. closedeyes.gif
daprofessor
QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Feb 14 2012, 07:10 PM) *
Wow, this is good stuff! I cant lie, both of you (Grover and Professor have excellent points. We all know that when it comes to Mayweather, there aren't many out there who can deny his skills, training methods, and overall knowledge of the sport. No matter how many people speak bad about him, they cant deny his talent.

As far as what Professor brought up about Floyd trying to break through the business and get what he felt he deserved, that's absolutely correct. There were guys (DLH, Gatti, etc) who were getting all of the big breaks, paydays, whatever. Im sure we've ALL felt like this at one point in the job field...there's always those few people who do less than shit, aren't as dedicated, and/or may not be as good as you, but they ALWAYS seem to move up in the ranks.

With that said, Im sure that all of that old shit still bothers him to a degree, regardless of how much money he makes nowadays. When he speaks on race/ethnicity, that usually makes me cringe as well, being the fact that there's so much emotion behind that subject, and let's face it, no matter how good a person sounds when they discuss racial issues, there are just some people out there who already have their minds made up that they are going act out, regardless.

Mayweather has made his path in the sport, and has been the bad guy for the longest now, but what I tend to not understand is how he appears to want people to love him at the same time. You cant have both. As we all know, there are very wealthy and successful people in the world, and Im quite sure they're assholes, with good reason. What FMJ does wrong is, he puts his thoughts out there...knowing that people already hate him since the Pacquiao fight isn't happening, and he isn't as eloquent (if you would) of a speaker.

Does he say things on record that holds much truth? For the most part, and yes, it makes sense. Again, it's hard for people to side with him and his views, when most hate him at the same time. I mean the most recent comment he made was a risky one, and he may have said it without bad intentions...but again, most people dont know how to receive him because all they can think about is "Money Mayweather".

i love mayweather for his skills and ring intelligence. he's learned a lot from al haymon and it shows. he's not where he is at by accident. he does make very valid points. i don't necessarily agree with all he has to say...but he's entitled to his opinion like everyone else. i can't take anything he or anyone else says to heart though. i feel it's like tv. if u don't like what's on....change the channel. it's that simple.
pesticid
QUOTE (daprofessor @ Feb 14 2012, 08:09 PM) *
so he was overlooked because he is asian....but he's not being talked about now because he's asian? huh.gif

u can't have it both ways. closedeyes.gif

I said background which includes being undrafted, being a Harvard graduate, being cut by numerous teams, having graduated with Economics and being Asian.
daprofessor
QUOTE (flazi @ Feb 14 2012, 07:19 PM) *
good points daprofessor. I honestly don't find his comments racist. Controversial yes but he is correct in a way but he needs to see the whole picture. Since its so rare to see an Asian american performing so well in the NBA it becomes sort of a "wow" factor even though there are guys (black white whatever) that perform on an even higher level for years who don't get the recognition that this guy Lin has got cause its more expected of them. Just like in the movie great white hype. Like with Tiger and golf. I never watched golf but since Tiger was playing i was watching. I love the sport but honestly i was watching cause he is black. Nothing wrong with that. And if someone said "you only watch cause he's black" they would have been absolutely correct cause i wouldn't know who the hell else was playing lol. same with hockey or tennis, if a black or latino is playing i am watch cause of them. this is normal.

someone pointed out that he has scored more in his first five games in the nba than a lot of huge nba stars(past and present) as one of the reasons they're making a big deal about him....but let's be honest. it was a big deal when he had his first break out game. i happen to know very many asians here in socal and it came as no surprise that they were all celebrating him the same way they celebrate pacquiao. it's part of what ppl do. puerto ricans love trinidad. europeans love the klitschkos...african americans aka "the coloreds" love roy jones/floyd mayweather/ali...and asians love them some pac and lin. there's nothing wrong with admitting that.
daprofessor
QUOTE (mitukczuk @ Feb 14 2012, 07:40 PM) *

I'll use a quote from The Big Bang Theory "Come for the breasts, stay for the brains"...But in Floyds case it goes "Come for the brains, stay for boxing".

i disagree with these statements.
daprofessor
QUOTE (pesticid @ Feb 14 2012, 09:17 PM) *
I said background which includes being undrafted, being a Harvard graduate, being cut by numerous teams, having graduated with Economics and being Asian.

being asian has everything to do with his background and him being overlooked, initially. laugh.gif
Cshel86
QUOTE (daprofessor @ Feb 14 2012, 08:16 PM) *
i love mayweather for his skills and ring intelligence. he's learned a lot from al haymon and it shows. he's not where he is at by accident. he does make very valid points. i don't necessarily agree with all he has to say...but he's entitled to his opinion like everyone else. i can't take anything he or anyone else says to heart though. i feel it's like tv. if u don't like what's on....change the channel. it's that simple.

I totally agree. He isn't where at this stage of his career, by accident...and let's not even talk about how much money this guy racks up. He is entitled to his opinion, but it sucks that he's in the position he's in (as far as how the masses view his antics in the megafight).

Im not saying that some of the ridicule he endures is not totally his fault, but its further amplified because he's constantly being placed next to and compared to a guy named Pacquiao...someone that the world feels can do no wrong.

So with that said, he does need to careful of what he says, or at least be prepared for endless ridicule. As you said, you dont agree with everything he says, and I concur.

One of the MAIN reasons I concur, is because he went on that racist rant about Pacquiao a while back, and now he has the nerve to share his opinion about another newly crowned Asian athlete. Like you said (and I also believe), he has the right to his opinion, but he should truly refrain from anything that deals with Asian culture, etc., and he should know that people aren't going to accept his opinion as an "honest and harmless" one.

Truthfully, its hard to come back from that racist rant that he went on, so Im hard pressed to see why he even thought people would give him a chance when he mentioned another Asian athlete. Hell, maybe he doesn't care.
Cshel86
QUOTE (daprofessor @ Feb 14 2012, 08:29 PM) *
being asian has everything to do with his background and him being overlooked, initially. laugh.gif

laugh.gif
daprofessor
QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Feb 14 2012, 09:53 PM) *
laugh.gif

i guess saying that makes me racist? unsure.gif

i'm sure he's an excellent driver though. unsure.gif
mgrover
QUOTE (daprofessor @ Feb 15 2012, 01:54 AM) *

if you mean taxi driver then refer to this sentence( the driver remark is a false stereotype in the uk lol, every asian taxi ive had has been terrible and hardly ever follows any rules of the road at 5am in the morning tongue.gif)

i doubt it makes your racist for the other part, am asian and not offended.
Cshel86
QUOTE (daprofessor @ Feb 14 2012, 08:54 PM) *

Hell nawww laugh.gif

QUOTE (mgrover @ Feb 14 2012, 09:08 PM) *
am asian and not offended.

Grover, you're Asian? (serious question)
pesticid

that winning shot went in cause he is Asian too cool.gif
Hotsauce
floyd is losing money against the knicks
Cshel86
QUOTE (Hotsauce @ Feb 14 2012, 10:55 PM) *
floyd is losing money against the knicks

laugh.gif

I HIGHLY agree with that Hotsauce!
flazi
Floyd is ignorant but not racist. Lin is good very good but too early to crown him (wow just had dennis green flashback lol). Once carmelo get backs there won't be a chance for him to get that many points plus every player will figure him out defensively. I do hope he has succesful career cause we need some more asians in the nba.
hotsauce post is dead on lol.
Hotsauce
QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Feb 14 2012, 11:59 PM) *
laugh.gif

I HIGHLY agree with that Hotsauce!

u know the media will ask him that when he does his promotional tour for the cotto fight.
mitukczuk
QUOTE (daprofessor @ Feb 14 2012, 09:27 PM) *
i disagree with these statements.

As I stated in the comment... "IMO"

Of course there is the "on the other hand" almost to everything I said. And one really can't only blame the childhood and uprbinging for the behavior of the mentioned fighter. There are milions of things that formed Floyd's personality and opinions.

mgrover
QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Feb 15 2012, 02:19 AM) *
Hell nawww laugh.gif

Grover, you're Asian? (serious question)

yeah not far east but middle east but yeah am asian. or an arab not fussed either way really.
Cshel86
QUOTE (mgrover @ Feb 15 2012, 04:56 AM) *
yeah not far east but middle east but yeah am asian. or an arab not fussed either way really.

***scratching my head***

Uhhh...okay
mgrover
QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Feb 15 2012, 02:28 PM) *
***scratching my head***

Uhhh...okay

yeah am like that when am filling in forms lol
Cshel86
QUOTE (mgrover @ Feb 15 2012, 10:58 AM) *
yeah am like that when am filling in forms lol

I couldn't understand that sentence for shit Grover. I almost had to reach for my Ovaltine decoder ring laugh.gif
bnoles4life
if you mean taxi driver then refer to this sentence( the driver remark is a false stereotype in the uk lol, every asian taxi ive had has been terrible and hardly ever follows any rules of the road at 5am in the morning tongue.gif)

[/quote]

Actually, I believe driving terrible and rarely following rules of the road is in the job description of a taxi driver...no matter where you are.

I lived in Japan/Okinawa for 4.5 years and unfortunately, that was some of the most God-awful (read: frustrating) driving I've ever witnessed, from an industrialized nation (Haiti was by far the worst....unbelievable...can't even make that stuff up).

mgrover
QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Feb 15 2012, 04:43 PM) *
I couldn't understand that sentence for shit Grover. I almost had to reach for my Ovaltine decoder ring laugh.gif

usually when am filling in forms for some shit and have to tick the ethnicty ive got to choose and they have asian, middle eastern and arab and am there going wtf do i tick.
Cshel86
QUOTE (mgrover @ Feb 15 2012, 05:03 PM) *
usually when am filling in forms for some shit and have to tick the ethnicty ive got to choose and they have asian, middle eastern and arab and am there going wtf do i tick.

laugh.gif

Usually when I fill out forms and it happens to be an emergency of some sort...I usually check "other" in the race area, rather than African American...if I need speedy service! laugh.gif
neophyte7
Lin is a good player... at least now.. the NBA is grueling and players can endure slumps for 10 game plus in a NEW YORK MINUTE... Look LIN IS BEING injected into the NBA ALL STAR GAME??? NOW that is going too far, yet he is GOING BECAUSE OF THE REASON FLOYD SAID.. HE IS ASIAN.. HE IS THE ONLY ACTIVE ASIAN NBa PLAYER CURRENTLY and the NBA will capitalize off of his RACE and ETHNICITY... If he were a BLack Player no way in hell he would be going to the ALL STAR GAME AN IN ANY WAY.. just because he is a recent and suddenly emerging phenomenon..
daprofessor
QUOTE (mgrover @ Feb 14 2012, 09:08 PM) *

i just came back from the uk! i didn't see a single asian the whole time i was there. blink.gif
daprofessor
QUOTE (pesticid @ Feb 14 2012, 10:20 PM) *
that winning shot went in cause he is Asian too cool.gif

enjoy it while it lasts! looks like he's going to be around for a while. is yao ming still playing? huh.gif
daprofessor
QUOTE (bnoles4life @ Feb 15 2012, 03:13 PM) *

Actually, I believe driving terrible and rarely following rules of the road is in the job description of a taxi driver...no matter where you are.

I lived in Japan/Okinawa for 4.5 years and unfortunately, that was some of the most God-awful (read: frustrating) driving I've ever witnessed, from an industrialized nation (Haiti was by far the worst....unbelievable...can't even make that stuff up).

nice! i lived in oki from 90-92. love that place and miss it big time!
daprofessor
QUOTE (neophyte7 @ Feb 16 2012, 12:12 PM) *
Lin is a good player... at least now.. the NBA is grueling and players can endure slumps for 10 game plus in a NEW YORK MINUTE... Look LIN IS BEING injected into the NBA ALL STAR GAME??? NOW that is going too far, yet he is GOING BECAUSE OF THE REASON FLOYD SAID.. HE IS ASIAN.. HE IS THE ONLY ACTIVE ASIAN NBa PLAYER CURRENTLY and the NBA will capitalize off of his RACE and ETHNICITY... If he were a BLack Player no way in hell he would be going to the ALL STAR GAME AN IN ANY WAY.. just because he is a recent and suddenly emerging phenomenon..

the fans vote in the players for the nba all star games. do u know how many chinese there are in the world? huh.gif
mgrover
QUOTE (daprofessor @ Feb 16 2012, 11:12 PM) *
i just came back from the uk! i didn't see a single asian the whole time i was there. blink.gif

what part?
daprofessor
QUOTE (mgrover @ Feb 16 2012, 07:44 PM) *
what part?

london and portsmouth.
mrchitown
QUOTE (daprofessor @ Feb 14 2012, 04:31 PM) *

I'm from the Midwest. Could you explain to me what you mean by their stuck in the past on race relations?
mrchitown
I didn't see harm in what he said but I think just because it's coming from Floyd, that it gets scrutinized a lot harder then some other people in the spotlight. I also hate the word "race card" because of the negative connotations behind it. I think the public disdain for Floyd is the true reason people are up in arms over his statement. Lin is a player whom I don't check the stat sheets for, in my opinion he's basketball's version of Tebow...I think their both over-rated and have captured the public's attention for doing mediocre things for the most part. But I don't think his intentions weren't meant to create a racial impression, I think he simply stated how he felt, and I'd bet that their are others who feel the same way about Lin who are athletes, celebrities, black, white, etc
pesticid
QUOTE (daprofessor @ Feb 16 2012, 06:13 PM) *
enjoy it while it lasts! looks like he's going to be around for a while. is yao ming still playing? huh.gif

What the heck does Yao Ming have to do with anything, he had a career ending injury.
bull6599
QUOTE (daprofessor @ Feb 16 2012, 06:18 PM) *
the fans vote in the players for the nba all star games. do u know how many chinese there are in the world? huh.gif

Fans vote for the starters. Reserves are chosen by the coaches. And he's in the Rising Stars Challenge ( Formerly Rookie vs Sophomore Game), not the actual All-Star Game
Cshel86
QUOTE (mrchitown @ Feb 16 2012, 11:04 PM) *
I didn't see harm in what he said but I think just because it's coming from Floyd, that it gets scrutinized a lot harder then some other people in the spotlight. I also hate the word "race card" because of the negative connotations behind it. I think the public disdain for Floyd is the true reason people are up in arms over his statement. Lin is a player whom I don't check the stat sheets for, in my opinion he's basketball's version of Tebow...I think their both over-rated and have captured the public's attention for doing mediocre things for the most part. But I don't think his intentions weren't meant to create a racial impression, I think he simply stated how he felt, and I'd bet that their are others who feel the same way about Lin who are athletes, celebrities, black, white, etc

Exactly! I dont see why people are making a big deal of Mayweather speaking his mind. As I posted earlier, I have my reservations about him speaking about an Asian athlete, or anything Asian for that matter. That stems from that ignorant ass racist rant that he went on about Pacquiao...to this day, there's no way anyone can defend his actions for that.

I still dont agree with it, and for the record, it made him look worse than the public already views him. I believe that was frustration that had been building for a long time, but rant was totally unnecessary. On the other hand, I've been seeing worse comments made about Mayweather and his family waaaay before he went on that rant.

Seriously, anybody wonder why Ben disables comments for Mayweather and Pacquiao articles on the front page? He's let up as of late, but Im sure most of have read comments directed towards him in regards to being a monkey (he and his uncles), comments about his children, shit about his family being crackheads, criminals, etc. Let me not even get started the shit I read on youtube and other sites.

NOW, if they were to post some of that shit on television or in articles, then what would be a huge hit to society and proof that ignorance and racism is still at an all-time high. Again, I dont defend him, but some people really need to chill with the "kettle calling the pot black" syndrome.
ks1

That's the mythology/storyline but it's not true. Lin wasn't overlooked at all. He was undrated out of Harvard but got a partially gauranteed contract with the Warrios but was behind Curry and Ellis. Then he was cut in a salary cap move so they could go after a free agent. Then he went to the Rockets but again was stuck behind other players and was cut. Then he went to the Knicks and the rest is evolving. He just didn't fit with his prior teams. There are plenty of undrafted guys who went to major D1 schools who are toiling in the D league and won't even get the look Lin did. At best, they will bounce around from team to team on 10 day contracts.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.