Acelino Freitas
Mohamed Abdulaev
Genaro Hernandez
JC Chavez
Antonio Demarco
Sharmba
Golota
bnoles4life
First, define "quitting". Then, answer why there's no DLH vs. Hopkins or Kermit Cintron on that list?

If you're referencing the Chris Byrd fight, kinda hard to throw Vitali in that mix, as a shoulder injury prevented him from continuing. From what I remember, he was getting the best of Byrd in that fight.
pesticid
QUOTE (bnoles4life @ Feb 21 2012, 06:29 PM) *
Where's DLH vs. Hopkins? Kermit Cintron?

If you're referencing the Chris Byrd fight, kinda hard to throw Vitali in that mix, as a shoulder injury prevented him from continuing. From what I remember, he was getting the best of Byrd in that fight.

Hey, I agree! Vitaly did what was smart for him to do and DLH although I thought he quit he technically got hit, but yeah I think he quit as well.
Let me add Cintron to the list now.
pesticid
I think rubio quit against Pavlik as well
p4pcrown
judah quit vs khan and cotto quit vs margarito
Sunni6Killer
Lesnar.
BrutalBodyShots
One could argue Morales against Pacquiao III.

pesticid
I haven't seen the Toney vs Holy fight in a long time. I remember Toney landing a hard body shot putting Holy down, I don't think Evander quit,I think his corner threw the towel, but maybe I am wrong.
pesticid
QUOTE (BrutalBodyShots @ Feb 21 2012, 07:00 PM) *

good call, he was sitting on his ass after a punch though so I am not sure if it's fair, although it's not shameful inmy opinion either. I wonder how other people feel about that fight.
pesticid
I thought Bhop kinda quit against Chad
pesticid
I thought Guerrero kinda kinda quit against Yordan, I think he couldv'e continued and Yordan was spanking him as far as I remember, it was also in Cali.
pesticid
Who was the British fighter that quit against Devon Alexander,I am sorry I can't log onto boxrec for some reason, well he quit too.
hitman
i guess what this list shows me is that there are different degrees of quitting. each situation is different. some are more acceptable than others. many of the guys who have "quit" are some of the greatest warriors of all time. duran quit, not because of getting beat up, but because of frustration. cotto and arguello (pryor rematch) fought with all their heart and just got beat down. morales was shot and weight drained and went to war for 3 rounds and knew that he didn't have it anymore and couldn't win. those guys may have quit but their not quitters to me.

then their are guys like bruce seldon who was scared to death and faked getting knocked down vs. tyson. golota quit from fear vs. tyson too. a lot of tyson opponents did. devon alexander fought scared and quit from a cut vs. bradley. cloud was getting his ass kicked much worse and had a much worse cut and he told the doctor "do not stop this fight." alexander put on an acting job with the doctor. those examples of quitting are much less acceptable to me.
mgrover
i dont think all quitters should be labelled that, at the end of the dayh fighters are human, and cant always dig deep, like morales, maybe he just couldnt in that third fight, but his heart should never really be questioned, while someone like ortiz is a lot more unstable thanks to the maidana and mayweather fights, cause am pretty sure he could of stood up after the sucker punch
pesticid
I don't take anything away from fighters that have quit, I was just curious. Vitaly was winning but he had a bad injury. Duran, he was just pissed off. Ray Robinson couldn't take the heat.
Cott's got tired of running and getting hit. I mean at the end of the day they all quit for one reason or another. I guess it just goes to show you that they are all human.I think quitting is looking down upon. I personally don't. Miguel Cotto quiting was the right thing to do.I don't think he should've gone another round to prove that he was more of a man and absorb even more punishment.
Cshel86
Let's not forget about the recent and oh-so-strategically exhibited quit session, by Rico Ramos in the Rigondeaux fight. That motherfucker quit in the locker room and had his "oh shit" moment in the first round...just to plan his exit by letting Rigondeaux unload on him at the end.
pesticid
QUOTE (mgrover @ Feb 21 2012, 08:15 PM) *
i dont think all quitters should be labelled that, at the end of the dayh fighters are human, and cant always dig deep, like morales, maybe he just couldnt in that third fight, but his heart should never really be questioned, while someone like ortiz is a lot more unstable thanks to the maidana and mayweather fights, cause am pretty sure he could of stood up after the sucker punch

This thread isn't about questioning someone's heart although I believe the majority of people associate quitting with lack of heart, I don't agree but that's my opinion.
Robbie Peden got beat so bad by JMM he had to quit, I mean there was no poing. Acelino Freitas though, I don't know about that. Kermit as well. They are still fighters but their circumstances weren't as bad.
pesticid
QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Feb 21 2012, 08:44 PM) *
Let's not forget about the recent and oh-so-strategically exhibited quit session, by Rico Ramos in the Rigondeaux fight. That motherfucker quit in the locker room and had his "oh shit" moment in the first round...just to plan his exit by letting Rigondeaux unload on him at the end.

It's true and it's tough being a fighter. I can try to put myself in his position, he is young, he didn't have a lot of confidence cause of his last fight and who he was facing. Rigo is an amateur legend and the most precise fighter out there next to Floyd. The lights were brighter too. He was scared before he even got in the ring kinda like Spinks against Tyson.
pesticid
QUOTE (p4pcrown @ Feb 21 2012, 06:53 PM) *
judah quit vs khan and cotto quit vs margarito

I disagree, Judah got hit pretty low and pretty hard.If you want to look at a fight where you felt that Judah quit, watch the Clottey fight
p4pcrown
QUOTE (pesticid @ Feb 21 2012, 08:58 PM) *
I disagree, Judah got hit pretty low and pretty hard.If you want to look at a fight where you felt that Judah quit, watch the Clottey fight

Seemed like a fair punch. It didn't look that low, he just had his trunks up high. I felt he could've gotten up but that's just my opinion.
alaganza
I don't mind too much if guys quit for the right reasons. However, the guys that bother me are the ones that quit fighting and run until the goal bell. Example: after Mosley got popped by Manny he basically quit.

I'd rather a fighter not answer the bell and quit on the stool than to do some crap like that.
bnoles4life
QUOTE (alaganza @ Feb 22 2012, 02:41 AM) *
I don't mind too much if guys quit for the right reasons. However, the guys that bother me are the ones that quit fighting and run until the goal bell. Example: after Mosley got popped by Manny he basically quit.

I'd rather a fighter not answer the bell and quit on the stool than to do some crap like that.

Well, the precursor to that behavior was exactly 2 min. deep in the 2nd round of the Mayweather fight.
Cshel86
QUOTE (alaganza @ Feb 22 2012, 01:41 AM) *

Now you really have me thinking which is the lesser of the two evils...quitting on the stool, or giving viewers a false sense of hope until the final bell. I agree though...a guy running his way to the final bell is annoying, especially if the charges are going to show up on my next month's bill laugh.gif

Quitting on the stool, has his perks, very few though. At least the trainer can take the blame for the fight being stopped in the corner...basically saying that he was looking out for his fighter's safety, while the fighter still wanted to continue (though it wouldn't be the truth). Perfect damage control...
alaganza
QUOTE (bnoles4life @ Feb 22 2012, 08:46 AM) *
Well, the precursor to that behavior was exactly 2 min. deep in the 2nd round of the Mayweather fight.

True.

QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Feb 22 2012, 09:27 AM) *
Now you really have me thinking which is the lesser of the two evils...quitting on the stool, or giving viewers a false sense of hope until the final bell. I agree though...a guy running his way to the final bell is annoying, especially if the charges are going to show up on my next month's bill laugh.gif

Quitting on the stool, has his perks, very few though. At least the trainer can take the blame for the fight being stopped in the corner...basically saying that he was looking out for his fighter's safety, while the fighter still wanted to continue (though it wouldn't be the truth). Perfect damage control...

Brother I will let you make your own determination on that. But as for me, I don't like my time to be wasted. If you're not going to fight then go sit down somewhere! And stop wasting everyone's time.
Cshel86
QUOTE (alaganza @ Feb 22 2012, 07:11 PM) *
I don't like my time to be wasted. If you're not going to fight then go sit down somewhere! And stop wasting everyone's time.

laugh.gif

Exactly! Either take the punch that's going to dismantle you, or give it up! No need to leave us hoping! laugh.gif
daprofessor
QUOTE (pesticid @ Feb 21 2012, 07:20 PM) *
Duran
Vitaly
Cotto
Kostya
Sam Peter
Tyson
Smoke Gainer
Sonny Liston
Ray Robinson
The Atomic Bull
Victor Ortiz
Devon Alexander?
Kermit Cintron
DLH?
Rubio
Luis Ramon Campas
Robbie Peden
Acelino Freitas
Mohamed Abdulaev
Genaro Hernandez
JC Chavez
Antonio Demarco
Sharmba
Golota

cotto, robinson and mccall never quit.
daprofessor
QUOTE (bnoles4life @ Feb 21 2012, 07:29 PM) *
First, define "quitting". Then, answer why there's no DLH vs. Hopkins or Kermit Cintron on that list?

u need to go back and watch that one over. byrd made him miss big time...he was gassed and byrd was turning it on.
daprofessor
QUOTE (BrutalBodyShots @ Feb 21 2012, 08:00 PM) *

arguello against pryor 2.
daprofessor
QUOTE (pesticid @ Feb 21 2012, 08:13 PM) *
I thought Bhop kinda quit against Chad

no kinda about it.

he also quit against allen in their first fight.
daprofessor
QUOTE (hitman @ Feb 21 2012, 08:42 PM) *
i guess what this list shows me is that there are different degrees of quitting. each situation is different. some are more acceptable than others. many of the guys who have "quit" are some of the greatest warriors of all time. duran quit, not because of getting beat up, but because of frustration. cotto and arguello (pryor rematch) fought with all their heart and just got beat down. morales was shot and weight drained and went to war for 3 rounds and knew that he didn't have it anymore and couldn't win. those guys may have quit but their not quitters to me.

then their are guys like bruce seldon who was scared to death and faked getting knocked down vs. tyson. golota quit from fear vs. tyson too. a lot of tyson opponents did. devon alexander fought scared and quit from a cut vs. bradley. cloud was getting his ass kicked much worse and had a much worse cut and he told the doctor "do not stop this fight." alexander put on an acting job with the doctor. those examples of quitting are much less acceptable to me.

very good post.
daprofessor
QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Feb 21 2012, 09:44 PM) *

"No matter what anyone says, no matter the excuse or explanation, whatever a person does in the end is what he intended to do all along." -cus d'amato
Cshel86
QUOTE (daprofessor @ Feb 29 2012, 08:32 PM) *
"No matter what anyone says, no matter the excuse or explanation, whatever a person does in the end is what he intended to do all along." -cus d'amato

Well worded...
daprofessor
QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Feb 22 2012, 10:27 AM) *

there was nothing admirable about dlh running for his life in the final rounds of his bout with trinidad. laugh.gif
pesticid
QUOTE (daprofessor @ Feb 29 2012, 08:21 PM) *
cotto, robinson and mccall never quit.

you're wrong!
Franchize
How exactly did Gay La Hoya quit vs Hopkins? I mean I can't stand him but I dont think he quit. He got hit with one of the best body shots I've ever seen. I remember watching the fight live and it sounded like Oscar was crying. He yell out "oooooowwwwww" followed by a smile from Bernard. Reminded me of the 1st time I went too deep in a girl. I had the same reaction *cheese*
daprofessor
QUOTE (pesticid @ Mar 1 2012, 12:27 PM) *
you're wrong!

corner stopped the fight against margarito and pacquiao for cotto. don't take my word....go back and watch the video.

mccall wasn't throwing any punches...but neither was lennox. oliver had a breakdown in the ring...but show me the point where he said he quit or that he couldn't continue.

ray robinson was dehydrated and his corner stopped the fight. show me the footage where he said he couldn't continue.
daprofessor
QUOTE (Franchize @ Mar 1 2012, 01:59 PM) *
How exactly did Gay La Hoya quit vs Hopkins? I mean I can't stand him but I dont think he quit. He got hit with one of the best body shots I've ever seen. I remember watching the fight live and it sounded like Oscar was crying. He yell out "oooooowwwwww" followed by a smile from Bernard. Reminded me of the 1st time I went too deep in a girl. I had the same reaction *cheese*

i concur with the bolded. tmi on the rest though. laugh.gif
Cshel86
QUOTE (daprofessor @ Feb 29 2012, 08:36 PM) *
there was nothing admirable about dlh running for his life in the final rounds of his bout with trinidad. laugh.gif

Not a damn thing! laugh.gif Campillo fucked himself like that in the last round of the Cloud fight...just gave the officials one more reason to screw him over. Funny how Tarver brought up the Oscar/Tito fight in the final round of the Cloud fight, and that shit happened laugh.gif
daprofessor
QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Mar 2 2012, 10:04 PM) *
Not a damn thing! laugh.gif Campillo fucked himself like that in the last round of the Cloud fight...just gave the officials one more reason to screw him over. Funny how Tarver brought up the Oscar/Tito fight in the final round of the Cloud fight, and that shit happened laugh.gif

i couldn't give cloud more than 2 rounds.

as for the trinidad/dlh fight...i watched the fight live and thought it was too close but i was leaning towards trinidad....and in vegas, there's no way trinidad was going to get the nod. after watching the fight several times and scoring it each and everytime....i think trinidad won it. this has been a topic of debate since the fight happened....and it really opened my eyes to the bias by hbo's announcing team. i had to turn the volume down because lampley will have u scoring shit that isn't happening. laugh.gif
pesticid
QUOTE (daprofessor @ Mar 1 2012, 09:45 PM) *
corner stopped the fight against margarito and pacquiao for cotto. don't take my word....go back and watch the video.

mccall wasn't throwing any punches...but neither was lennox. oliver had a breakdown in the ring...but show me the point where he said he quit or that he couldn't continue.

ray robinson was dehydrated and his corner stopped the fight. show me the footage where he said he couldn't continue.

Corner stopped the fight cause Cotto waived the white flag by taking a knee and going down without getting hit. He didn't want to deal with it. Against Pacquiao he was just running away not even jabbing, nothing, he quit again by waving the white flag to be saved.

Mccall quit by crying and not wanting de deal with the situation he was in. So he quit he may not have said, "I quit" but he quit just like Cotto

Ray Robinson quit too, everybody gets dehydrated, fighters, other athletes. They get cramps, headaches, nausia, etc. They decide if they want to keep going or not. Ray's corner stopped the fight cause his eyes were showing that he didn't want it anymore and there were no protests from him. It's a tough pill to swallow but even some of the greates fighters like Duran and Leonard have quit. So no shame in Cotto waving the white flag twice and Mccall sobbying like a newborn. Some fighters can take it and others can't.
pesticid
Can't believe that I left out Mike Tyson. He quit against Holy by biting his ear. He quit against the big white dude by trying to break his arm. I though he quit against Danny Williams as well. I would like to go to his show and ask him a few questions about quitting. He's got the deepest mind in all of boxing so I'm sure I'll get responses even better than from Roy Jones. Well Roy never quit so he wouldn't know any better anyhow.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.