Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Another Great Weekend of Boxing!
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
Pages: 1, 2
Cheesey1
Another very nice weekend of boxing is here. Definitely something for everyone. From lightweight aka super featherweight to heavyweight. From boxers to brawlers. Domestic and international. Hopefully you fight fans are looking forward to this weekend as much as I am.

I'm only mentioning the more high profile bouts, but I plan on watching everything that's going to be shown. Who are your picks to win?

Friday:
Showtime's Shobox: Jessie Vargas vs. Lanardo Tyner - No disrespect to Lanardo Tyner, but many fight fans expect Jessie Vargas to continue his steady rise up the ranks of the Lt. WW division by adding Lanardo Tyner's scalp to his belt. Who knows though, we saw what happened with Cloud and Campillo last week. Nonetheless, I'm picking Vargas (even though I really should have checked out some of Tyner's earlier fights).

Showtime's Shobox: Deandre Latimore vs. Milton Nunez - 154lb clash. Great division and Latimore's apparently well regarded. I'm sure that I've seen him box before, but the memory circuits are failing me.

FNF: Juan Carlos Burgos vs. Cristobal Cruz - same division as Adrian Broner and Burgos is apparently in the top ten. I'm not familair with him, or Cruz, but let's see what they're about.
FNF: Edgar Santana vs. Manuel Perez

Saturday:
Epix - Start your afternoon off (for those over here) with the heavyweight clash- Alexander Povetkin vs. Marco Huck. This is being billed as a clash of boxer/brawlers. Povetkin is apparently no longer being trained by Teddy Atlas, so that's a bit of intrigue (it might be a temporary thing, not sure). I'm interested to see what the cruiserweight Huck can do. We've had a few cruiserweights move up to heavyweight with success.

HBO: Devon Alexander vs. Marcos Maidana - yup this is it. Boxer vs. Brawler. Accused vs. Accuser. I've got to go with Alexander and I think that he'll either get the late TKO, or a wide decision.
HBO: Adrian Broner vs. Eloy Perez - also another very interesting fight. Broner's looked very solid and at times sublime recently, but was that because of the level of opposition? Eloy Perez seems to be a step up and also seems very confident of his abilities. Good stuff. Going for Broner (please don't do that stupid "comb my hair" shit), but may the best man win. Also can't forget that Broner's newly won title is at stake.
Cshel86
Im ready! Juan Carlos Burgos had little trouble with the last "Cruz" he fought on the JMM/Pac 3 undercard, which was Luiz Cruz. So this one should make for an interesting bout, since Cristobal Cruz is no slouch (though he's lost a whole ass of fights). Burgos is going to dominate though.

Lanardo Tyner may be some type of force for Vargas. Hell, he's gone the distance with Canelo, and actually gave him a decent fight. Vargas may have his hands full because its obvious that Tyner has a chin, as he took Canelo's shots, and he also answers back, even when in trouble.

After I saw the Vargas/Lopez fight, I found out quickly that Vargas gets too excited, gasses out, and finds himself up the creek when he faces a guy with a good chin. This should be a good one. As far as Latimore, Im not sure I've seen his opponent before, but he should look okay. I just remember Latimore from FNFs!

I haven't seen Povetkin or Huck fight, but Im sure I'll enjoy streaming it, since I no longer have Epix with my cable provider. By the way, what time does this air?

Im absolutely ready for the B.A.D. card. Im sure Perez will be a live body for Broner...as long as he uses exceptional head movement and doesn't get caught with a counter. Hook, right, goodnight! Im sure he'll make a fight of it though.

The main event better end as I expect...in a TKO. If it goes to the card, then Maidana is fucked, period, point blank. Devon would come out better by "looking good while losing", rather than the standard St. Louis protocol of a "hometown gimme".

Seriously, he cant afford to receive another decision like this, because at this point, it's twice as bad as losing. It only proves that he's subject to get his ass kicked anywhere outside of the St. Louis area.
jrosales13
Good boxing weekend, 2nd good weekend for boxing in a row.

Note: Lattimore will not be facing Ryan. He couldn't pass an eye exam. He will be fighting Milton Nuņez, a Colombian banger with a weak chin. All 3 losses have been KO'd in the st first round

I think Burgos-Cruz will be the fight of the weekend.

I want to pick Perez to beat Broner but I doubt he gets a decision in the Lou. Even if he deserves to win.

Alexander should and will beat Maidana by decision. And, I don't think it will be a robbery either.
Cshel86
QUOTE (jrosales13 @ Feb 23 2012, 10:38 AM) *

Note: Lattimore will not be facing Ryan. He couldn't pass an eye exam. He will be fighting Milton Nuņez, a Colombian banger with a weak chin. All 3 losses have been KO'd in the st first round

I want to pick Perez to beat Broner but I doubt he gets a decision in the Lou. Even if he deserves to win.

Alexander should and will beat Maidana by decision. And, I don't think it will be a robbery either.

Yeah I just read about Latimore's opponent not being able to pass an eye exam...dude is fucked for future fights if he cant pass an eye exam. Lately, these last-minute opponents have been showing up, so he may put up a decent fight.

As far as your Alexander/Maidana prediction...that's a pretty bold one, but we've seen it before from Alexander (in St Louis), so anything can happen. Im wondering what will happen when he either; gets tired of boxing Maidana or when/if he gets too excited and think he can bang with him.

In the meantime, I'll hold you to your prediction and pray for a great scrap!
jrosales13
QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Feb 23 2012, 11:56 AM) *
Yeah I just read about Latimore's opponent not being able to pass an eye exam...dude is fucked for future fights if he cant pass an eye exam. Lately, these last-minute opponents have been showing up, so he may put up a decent fight.

As far as your Alexander/Maidana prediction...that's a pretty bold one, but we've seen it before from Alexander (in St Louis), so anything can happen. Im wondering what will happen when he either; gets tired of boxing Maidana or when/if he gets too excited and think he can bang with him.

In the meantime, I'll hold you to your prediction and pray for a great scrap!

I think Maidana might run out fo time. He might come on strong late in the fight but it will be too late. Maybe if it was a 12 round fight I could see Maidana doing something. Having it 10 rounds benefits Alexander greatly. He should have no issues here. Maidana team are stupid for not pushing to having it 12 rounds.
Franchize
I kinda lost my enthusiasm about the Maidana vs Alexander fight when I found out it was 10 rounds. WTF is that about?

I think if Alexander wants to win, he's going to have to come out fast yet cautious. It think he needs to fight Maidana like Cotto fought Magarito. Combinations then back on the bicycle.

I agree with CShel. If he gets somemore hometown cooking, his rep will be tarnished. He also probably wont ever get another big fight in St Louis again.
Cheesey1
QUOTE (jrosales13 @ Feb 23 2012, 10:38 AM) *

Thanks, I'll make the change.
Cheesey1
Boxing starts in a few hours!

I completely forgot that it's all star weekend.
Cshel86
QUOTE (Cheesey1 @ Feb 24 2012, 06:36 PM) *
Boxing starts in a few hours!

Man this shit needs to hurry up! I was looking around for the Alexander/Maidana weigh-in pics...no luck just yet.
Cshel86
Hahahaha!!! Bradley's getting his time to shine. Cant knock him that. This fight was partly planned, and partly happening by default, but oh well.
Cheesey1
QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Feb 24 2012, 07:35 PM) *
Man this shit needs to hurry up! I was looking around for the Alexander/Maidana weigh-in pics...no luck just yet.

Tiny Tim's in the studio on FNF. First match is on. Some crisp looking jabs so far.
Cheesey1
QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Feb 24 2012, 09:20 PM) *
Hahahaha!!! Bradley's getting his time to shine. Cant knock him that. This fight was partly planned, and partly happening by default, but oh well.

Bradley..."shine"... With that dome...pun intended?
Cshel86
QUOTE (Cheesey1 @ Feb 24 2012, 09:25 PM) *
pun intended?

Accidental pun, but now that you mention it...yes! laugh.gif

Both of them have shitty records, but that always makes for a great fight! Santana is waiting for Perez to stick his jab, that's where the hesitation on Perez' behalf, is coming from.
Cshel86
Santana's footwork is trash...seriously. He landed a few body shots, but again, that footwork needs a bit of work.
Cshel86
Santana doesn't look like he was ready for Perez's head to be in his chest all night long. Santana gonna land one of those hooks to the body, but he has to handle Perez's activity, which is beginning to increase.
Cshel86
Damn Cheesey, where tha hell did you go that fast? Girlfriend gotcha in the headlock? dntknw.gif

Perez is earning his keep here! He caught Santana with a few good ones!
Cheesey1
Agreed, re. Santana, but an entertaining first bout. Definitely not world beaters, but entertaining.
Cheesey1
QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Feb 24 2012, 09:54 PM) *
Damn Cheesey, where tha hell did you go that fast? Girlfriend gotcha in the headlock? dntknw.gif

No comment...
Cheesey1
QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Feb 24 2012, 09:54 PM) *

Good for Perez.
Cshel86
laugh.gif

The dope man got his ass handed to him! That pressure was just too much for him. Now back to the studio to see how Timmy and Manny loved on each other this week...
Cheesey1
QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Feb 24 2012, 10:07 PM) *
laugh.gif

The dope man got his ass handed to him! That pressure was just too much for him. Now back to the studio to see how Timmy and Manny loved on each other this week...

Ha! "dope man, dope man, that's what they're yellin'"...

Timmy's talking a good game, but whatever.
Cshel86
QUOTE (Cheesey1 @ Feb 24 2012, 10:10 PM) *
Ha! "dope man, dope man, that's what they're yellin'"...

Timmy's talking a good game, but whatever.

It's good for promotion though.

Man I swear FNF used have more than 2 fights, whats good? As far as the Klitz, how in the fuck does a dude slap you, spit in your brother's face, and you manage to get on your fuckin' bike for the whole fight?
Cheesey1
QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Feb 24 2012, 10:18 PM) *
It's good for promotion though.

Man I swear FNF used have more than 2 fights, whats good? As far as the Klitz, how in the fuck does a dude slap you, spit in your brother's face, and you manage to get on your fuckin' bike for the whole fight?

Yup, re. Vitali and Tiny Tim's doing his bit to make the Bobfather proud.

The espn guy got it wrong, Haye was taunting Vitali and Vitali's manager, not Chisora.

Yeah, I also remember FNF having more than two fights (haha, I think that I remember that).
Cshel86
QUOTE (Cheesey1 @ Feb 24 2012, 10:21 PM) *
The espn guy got it wrong

It's ESPN reporting boxing...what do you expect???
Cheesey1
QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Feb 24 2012, 10:26 PM) *
It's ESPN reporting boxing...what do you expect???

Indeed.
Cshel86
Shit...Im ready for Showbox to come on!
Cshel86
Gave the 1st to Burgos...though nothing really happened.

10 - 9 Burgos
Cheesey1
QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Feb 24 2012, 10:29 PM) *
Shit...Im ready for Showbox to come on!

Yeah man, but this one looks like we might get a knock out, at least some knock downs.
Cshel86
Sigh...gave the 2nd to Cruz...still not a lot of action.

19 - 19
Cheesey1
QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Feb 24 2012, 10:29 PM) *
Gave the 1st to Burgos...though nothing really happened.

10 - 9 Burgos

As Teddy's saying, Burgos needs to work behind his jab.
Cshel86
Gayest round of the evening...full of "WTF" moments, but i gave it to Burgos.

29 - 28 Burgos
Cheesey1
QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Feb 24 2012, 10:33 PM) *
Sigh...gave the 2nd to Cruz...still not a lot of action.

19 - 19

This is Burgos' to lose and so far it looks like he might be setting himself up for disappointment.
Cshel86
Gave the 4th to Burgos...this is a wack fight thus far...

39 - 37 Burgos
Cshel86
Fuck it...Im about to stop scoring this one...too boring for my health.
Cheesey1
Very nice left by Burgos.
Cheesey1
QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Feb 24 2012, 10:46 PM) *
Fuck it...Im about to stop scoring this one...too boring for my health.

Sloppy yeah, but I don't find it that boring. It's obvious that Cruz isn't on the same level as Burgos, but I like Burgos' accuracy, when he does throw. Then again Cruz is there to be hit.
Cshel86
QUOTE (Cheesey1 @ Feb 24 2012, 10:51 PM) *
Sloppy yeah, but I don't find it that boring. It's obvious that Cruz isn't on the same level as Burgos, but I like Burgos' accuracy, when he does throw. Then again Cruz is there to be hit.

Funny how I stop scoring the fight, then a knockdown occurs. Irony?
Cshel86
Man, if I hear Bradley say, "Uhhh" or "you know" one more time aggressive.gif

He's actually doing a great job though!
Cheesey1
Burgos is playing himself.
Cheesey1
QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Feb 24 2012, 10:53 PM) *
Funny how I stop scoring the fight, then a knockdown occurs. Irony?

That's the beauty of boxing!
Cshel86
Whoa shit! Burgos went down! WTF???
Cheesey1
QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Feb 24 2012, 11:00 PM) *
Whoa shit! Burgos went down! WTF???

Yeah man, I don't know what he was thinking. This would've been a completely different match if he'd used the jab with conviction and put together some combos.
Cshel86
Whats up with these scores?
Cshel86
Okay Latimore got the 1st round.

10 - 9 Latimore
Cheesey1
QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Feb 24 2012, 11:12 PM) *
Whats up with these scores?

Yeah the scores were crazy, but I guess that Burgos eked it out.
Cshel86
Does Nunez look like Breidis Prescott, or am I trippin'?
Cheesey1
QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Feb 24 2012, 11:16 PM) *
Does Nunez look like Breidis Prescott, or am I trippin'?

Damn man, I had to turn off the boxing. Keep hope alive.
Cshel86
QUOTE (Cheesey1 @ Feb 24 2012, 11:21 PM) *
Damn man, I had to turn off the boxing. Keep hope alive.

Loser glare.gif
Cshel86
What tha fuck??? Latimore got hurt and dropped! Dude, seriously?! How in the fuck do you dominate the whooooole fuckin' fight, then get dropped?

Well they called it a knockdown, but he didn't go down from a punch...but still...c'mon mannnnn dntknw.gif
Cshel86
Wow, so they called a knockdown against latimore in the 10th, though he didn't really get hit by a punch. He ran for the whole fuckin' round anyway. So we're looking at TWO 10 - 8 rounds, but he did win the first 8 rounds.

Man...these last-minute opponents are making their mark this year. Nunez caught Latimore with a little sneaky overhand right that landed on the temple and killed his equilibrium.

The last "knockdown" occurred by way of a headbutt while Latimore was backing up. Now, Laitmore is yelling "Al Haymon, Mayweather Promotions", blah, blah, blah. Dude, sit down somewhere, you did a Khan/Maidana, but you almost didn't make it out of the fight.

94 - 94
96 - 92
95 - 94

Latimore still won by majority decision
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.