Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 8oz gloves for cotto mayweather
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
Pages: 1, 2
mgrover
8oz gloves eh I wonder why Mayweather wants them? Does he believe that his power isn't enough for Cotto? Am actually curious at what glove size Pacman fought Cotto at because maybe Mayweather wants the KO, to show up Pacman since everything they do is compared to the other. I know Pacman fought De La Hoya with 8oz gloves, but I could be wrong, but am not sure about Cotto. A friend wanted to voice his opinion with Mayweather wants to control boxing, due to the whole, OSDT, usually his camp choose a ref that seems to be suited towards his style and this whole 8oz gloves when the rule is that you can't have them for above 147lb etc etc, am not sure i agree.

what say you?

small print to posting:
if your here to post any idiotic response just get out, and yes you can still think your being a smartass by calling this post idiotic i really dont care.
Cshel86
Man I just read this too...and to say the least, I was baffled. Hopefully this is just the beginning of promotion, and not just something that he really wants. Besides, I believe he bashed Pacquiao about before.
leonthegee
Floyd must not be worried about Cottos power. 8 oz gloves favors Cotto more than Floyd IMO. Theres no way Cotto stops Floyd with 10 oz gloves.

checkleft
I don't like this move, I can't see much benefit to Floyd. On the other hand no pun intended, if Floyd reinjures himself he's gonna look like a fool for this.
Cshel86
QUOTE (leonthegee @ Feb 28 2012, 10:11 PM) *
Floyd must not be worried about Cottos power. 8 oz gloves favors Cotto more than Floyd IMO.

+1
mgrover
i think it may be to do with the fact his hands aren't giving him anymore trouble who knows but if cotto busted pacs eardrums with 10s i doubt he'll need 8s now to do the same, its just whether he'll be able to land like that, which i doubt.
Box in Hand
Floyd is a master boxer. He has already mapped out what to do while we're sitting wondering why. He saw that Cotto got hit a lot by a slow Margarito and with 8 ounce gloves he knows he's gonna be lighting Cotto's ass up. Cotto isn't a hard puncher and even if he was how many believe he's gonna break the Philly shell? Floyd knows what he's doing, he's been to a few barbecues in his life.
bnoles4life
QUOTE (mgrover @ Feb 28 2012, 11:16 PM) *
i think it may be to do with the fact his hands aren't giving him anymore trouble who knows but if cotto busted pacs eardrums with 10s i doubt he'll need 8s now to do the same, its just whether he'll be able to land like that, which i doubt.

To be fair, Pac is made to be hit and remember Pac was quoted as saying, "I wanted to feel his power". Let's not get it twisted, Cotto is strong, but by and large, doesn't have 1 punch power. It's an accumulation thing and by a show of hands, who thinks Cotto is going to stockpile a bunch of shots on Floyd? Zab, who doesn't have the sturdiest of chins, lasted to the 11th (and that's AFTER a couple times Cotto raked his nuts like a xylophone). Paulie, an admitted tough cookie, when the distance and Foreman's downfall (pun intended) was his torn ACL/MCL. Let's look at it like this:

He's had 11 fights above 140....he's TKO'd 5

Judah (11th round...more nut-raking and Judah being Judah)
Foreman (9th round MCL/ACL)
Mayorga (12th round)
Oktay Urkal (11th round)
Michael Jennings (5th round.....WHO?????)

3 stopped by ringside doctors

Gomez (5th round)
Margarito (10th round)
Quintana (5th round)

KO'd BY:

Pac (12th round.....Tebow'd in the ring)
Margs (11th round...well, you all know the story)

My point in all of this is, while Cotto has pretty good "pop", he hasn't really KO'd anyone (Michael Jennings aside) north of 140 w/o some special circumstance. THere's this perception that he was this devastating puncher, but IMO, that was 140 and below. His claim to fame is body work, but since his brain has been scrambled by Chef Margarito, he hasn't been so quick to stand in there and bang like he once did. I see why Floyd wants the 8 oz. gloves, b/c he thinks Miguel will walk into something.
mgrover
also any idea wtf floyd means when on the front page he says he should of been left about cotto, or did he mean cotto should of left top rank.
bnoles4life
QUOTE (mgrover @ Feb 28 2012, 11:59 PM) *
also any idea wtf floyd means when on the front page he says he should of been left about cotto, or did he mean cotto should of left top rank.

He means Cotto should've left TR long before now.
BigFightFan
Cotto will not be stoped with one punch by Floyd, it's going to take an accumulation of punches. 8oz gloves will benefit whoever is landing punches, so I don't see it as an advantage for Mayweather. I have not counted cotto out in this fight and don't believe he will be stoped.
mgrover
he was landing a fair few right hands against ortiz, and when i say fair few it was most of the punches.

also i remember a lot of people mentioning DLH was walking through Mayweathers punches in there fight, maybe he's still insecure about that power.
Cshel86
Maybe he's planning on putting an Arturo Gatti-type beating on Cotto, as would've been the case back in 2005. Maybe, maybe not. With that said, Cotto had waaaay faster hands with 8 oz gloves on, so maybe this will be an advantage for him.

Mayweather on the other, really doesn't need 8 oz gloves. It's not like he throws that many punches anyway, and the few that he does throw, usually land. I just dont want to see the weird "8 oz look" on either guy, as we saw in the Pac/De La Hoya and Pac/Margarito bouts.

If you think about it, Cotto's not a big Jr. MW, so I dont think Floyd's worried about not being able to hurt. I would much rather see Cotto in 8 oz gloves against somebody that he can hit at will, not in this fight though.
mrwigi
Either way you look at it, Floyd is going to punish cotto.. Expect his face to look like hamburger meat around the 8th an d9th rounds.
mrwigi
QUOTE (Box in Hand @ Feb 28 2012, 10:47 PM) *
Floyd is a master boxer. He has already mapped out what to do while we're sitting wondering why. He saw that Cotto got hit a lot by a slow Margarito and with 8 ounce gloves he knows he's gonna be lighting Cotto's ass up. Cotto isn't a hard puncher and even if he was how many believe he's gonna break the Philly shell? Floyd knows what he's doing, he's been to a few barbecues in his life.

+1
I always try to tell people, Floyd not going take the fight, unless he already knows how he going beat his opponent. In his words, there are 2 blueprints to beat Cotto.(Referring to the fact that Miguel has lost 2 fights.)
daprofessor
8oz gloves favor cotto. i think floyd believes he'll be able to bust cotto up with smaller gloves. if they allow the 8oz gloves...this fight is going to be a classic. don't sleep on cotto. cotto will be beating on them shoulders, arms and chest. look for this to be mayweathers toughest fight in a loooong time.
Run and Gun Game Calls
Second verse, same as the first!! This is mosley all over again, people looking for a reason to give cotto a chance when in all reality this is a mismatch. Marketing, floyd is a master at that. Do you really think the jeremy lin comments were just random? Floyd knows if he can piss enough peeps off, the will spend tons in the hopes he will lose the fight. Sad that she wont budge on the 50/50 split with pac, because until he does it isnt happening

These gloves are going to do nothing but make floyd look even faster than he already is with the 10oz gloves
daprofessor
QUOTE (Run and Gun Game Calls @ Feb 29 2012, 03:24 PM) *
Second verse, same as the first!! This is mosley all over again, people looking for a reason to give cotto a chance when in all reality this is a mismatch. Marketing, floyd is a master at that. Do you really think the jeremy lin comments were just random? Floyd knows if he can piss enough peeps off, the will spend tons in the hopes he will lose the fight. Sad that she wont budge on the 50/50 split with pac, because until he does it isnt happening

These gloves are going to do nothing but make floyd look even faster than he already is with the 10oz gloves

wow...someone turning a cotto/floyd thread into a pac/floyd thread. is there a site where this doesn't happen?

on a different note...pac is losing to bradley. u heard it here first.
Run and Gun Game Calls
I could see pac losing to bradley as well, to me at least pac looks to be fading a bit
Cshel86
Why are people still talking about that stupid 50/50 split? Again, one man can move as he pleases, while the other man needs permission from his boss to simply scratch his ass. Move on...
checkleft
QUOTE (mgrover @ Feb 29 2012, 05:25 AM) *
he was landing a fair few right hands against ortiz, and when i say fair few it was most of the punches.

also i remember a lot of people mentioning DLH was walking through Mayweathers punches in there fight, maybe he's still insecure about that power.

Well I think they wore bigger gloves in the dlh fight plus dlh has always had a very good chin. As far as cottos speed improving because of this I don't see it, he is significantly slower than when he was at his peak against mosley.
Run and Gun Game Calls
QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Feb 29 2012, 06:57 PM) *
Why are people still talking about that stupid 50/50 split? Again, one man can move as he pleases, while the other man needs permission from his boss to simply scratch his ass. Move on...

In what way does that negate the fact that one man has made concessions to make the fight a reality while the other keeps coming up with reasons why it cant?
checkleft
QUOTE (Run and Gun Game Calls @ Feb 29 2012, 03:46 PM) *
In what way does that negate the fact that one man has made concessions to make the fight a reality while the other keeps coming up with reasons why it cant?

Fact is they both make reasons why it can't. Before testing was the issue with pac, then when they shoot for a may 5 and when mayweather proposes a may 5 date the cut is an issue all of the sudden. And they propose June 9 knowing mayweather will not be able to make that date.

And to say that one man is the reason for this fight not happening shows your narrow vision in this whole situation. The fact is its been a number of people trying to keep the fight from happening.
Run and Gun Game Calls
QUOTE (checkleft @ Feb 29 2012, 07:55 PM) *
Fact is they both make reasons why it can't. Before testing was the issue with pac, then when they shoot for a may 5 and when mayweather proposes a may 5 date the cut is an issue all of the sudden. And they propose June 9 knowing mayweather will not be able to make that date.

And to say that one man is the reason for this fight not happening shows your narrow vision in this whole situation. The fact is its been a number of people trying to keep the fight from happening.

30m with no ppv revenue is like a 75/25 cut from what i have read. No fighter is going to agree to that, when they are also a huge reason for the draw. But back to the topic, and i apologise for getting it sidetracked, i think the 8oz gloves actually benefit floyd, he can shoot up before the fight, and his hands wont be an issue, its just going to make him faster. I honestly think floyds power is under-rated, as he has gotten older he is sitting down on his punches more
Cshel86
C'mon Run & Gun, spare us all the talks of about the 50/50 split and megafight. Im sure we've all died several deaths discussing it laugh.gif
ks1

You missed the point. Any "concessions" Pac makes are subject to Arum's approval. It should be clear by now that Arum is the boss not Pac and he hasn't conceeded anything.
BrutalBodyShots
Doesn't matter if they are 8oz gloves, 10oz gloves, etc. They could fight with MMA gloves, pillows on their hands or anywhere in between and Mayweather will win, and win big.

Cshel86
QUOTE (ks1 @ Feb 29 2012, 06:28 PM) *
You missed the point. Any "concessions" Pac makes are subject to Arum's approval. It should be clear by now that Arum is the boss not Pac and he hasn't conceeded anything.

Case closed...
Run and Gun Game Calls
Again sorry for bringing pac up in this discussion, this is going to be a very boring fight. Cotto is a very good A- fighter, but not in the elite level it takes to compete with floyd
Cshel86
No problem Run & Gun...
mgrover
its going to look like marquez mayweather I think. Cotto leads, bam countered then Mayweather leads, Cotto tries to counter, bam he takes another punch. The gloves I guess give Cotto a slightly higher chance of KO Mayweather, but I don't think they'll affect much.
bnoles4life
QUOTE (mgrover @ Feb 29 2012, 08:36 PM) *
its going to look like marquez mayweather I think. Cotto leads, bam countered then Mayweather leads, Cotto tries to counter, bam he takes another punch. The gloves I guess give Cotto a slightly higher chance of KO Mayweather, but I don't think they'll affect much.

Especially if Cotto has to "lead" in this fight.
daprofessor
QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Feb 29 2012, 03:57 PM) *

exactly! one man(ny) said he'd take the lesser share to make the fight...the other man tried to hold him to his word. let's move on. laugh.gif
Cshel86
Im praying for exchanges during this fight, but only one of these guys know better. If I cant get that, then I'll just calmly await an action-packed undercard.
daprofessor
QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Feb 29 2012, 08:41 PM) *
Im praying for exchanges during this fight, but only one of these guys know better. If I cant get that, then I'll just calmly await an action-packed undercard.

if mayweather allows cotto to throw on him the way he allowed ortiz to....i think we'll be in for a great fight. cotto is much more accurate with his shots than ortiz.
daprofessor
QUOTE (Run and Gun Game Calls @ Feb 29 2012, 07:06 PM) *
30m with no ppv revenue is like a 75/25 cut from what i have read. No fighter is going to agree to that, when they are also a huge reason for the draw. But back to the topic, and i apologise for getting it sidetracked, i think the 8oz gloves actually benefit floyd, he can shoot up before the fight, and his hands wont be an issue, its just going to make him faster. I honestly think floyds power is under-rated, as he has gotten older he is sitting down on his punches more

pac isn't making 30 mil anywhere but with floyd. floyd can still make that kind of money without pac.
Cshel86
QUOTE (daprofessor @ Feb 29 2012, 07:41 PM) *
exactly! one man(ny) said he'd take the lesser share to make the fight...the other man tried to hold him to his word. let's move on. laugh.gif

Yep..."Pacnesia" hasn't only gotten the best of his fans, but he's been effected by it as well laugh.gif

QUOTE (daprofessor @ Feb 29 2012, 07:46 PM) *
if mayweather allows cotto to throw on him the way he allowed ortiz to....i think we'll be in for a great fight. cotto is much more accurate with his shots than ortiz.

I somewhat agree...but Im just thinking about the Cotto that was allowed to fire away against Clottey and Pacquiao against the ropes, and we all saw how that ended.
daprofessor
QUOTE (mgrover @ Feb 29 2012, 08:36 PM) *

i don't know it's going to be the same. for one, cotto is a bigger guy who seems to have better foot movement than marquez. i don't like how cotto leans in...but it seems to work for him against certain guys. floyd is definitely going to capitalize on that...but i also think cotto is going to get plenty of shots in while floyd is doing his thing. cotto isn't fast, but he has excellent timing and doesn't seem to have trouble dealing with speed. floyd is not much faster than zab...but he is definitely more technically sound. also...zab attacks a whole lot more than floyd. the thing with cotto...when he starts to load up on shots and bang it out...he has always left himself very wide open. but when he boxes...and mixes in the power punches...he's much better. i'm eager to see what game plan he and his new trainer come up with. i can tell u that if he's leaning excessively and loading up, it's going to be an easy fight for floyd...but if he's sitting and throwing with speed and combinations...he'll have a better chance. also...i believe cotto is one of the few that can fight going backwards. floyd hasn't fought anyone like that since zab. zab looked good for a few rounds. i think cotto can use that and be a bit more successful than zab was against floyd. i'm eager to see this fight play out. it should have happened a few years ago...but i'm still excited about it.
daprofessor
QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Feb 29 2012, 08:57 PM) *
Yep..."Pacnesia" hasn't only gotten the best of his fans, but he's been effected by it as well laugh.gif

I somewhat agree...but Im just thinking about the Cotto that was allowed to fire away against Clottey and Pacquiao against the ropes, and we all saw how that ended.

yeah...but styles make fights. i think it's going to come down to a few things i stated in my last post...but i just had this thought... cotto's jab is much better than anyone floyd has fought since dlh...and dlh had a bad elbow going into that fight. cotto has dropped ppl with his jab. also...cotto is pretty good about beating up on shoulders and arms to create open shots. floyd is going to have to put fear in cotto early. floyd is excellent with his counter right and his lead right. i don't think cotto will be as easy to his as ortiz was....
mgrover
nobody mention the ortiz fight am still laughing at what ortiz corner said, hit him, hit anything, shoulders elbow etc they seemed desperate and it was only round 3
Cshel86
QUOTE (mgrover @ Feb 29 2012, 08:56 PM) *
nobody mention the ortiz fight am still laughing at what ortiz corner said, hit him, hit anything, shoulders elbow etc they seemed desperate and it was only round 3

laugh.gif

Not many peeped the Grant gloves that Victor wore either...
BoxingEinstein

Floyd is gonna spank and KO Cotto with them 8 OZ. Mosley has a iron chin and a better chin than Cotto and Marquez got respected by Mayweather so Floyd didn't choose to go for the KO.
neophyte7
QUOTE (mgrover @ Feb 29 2012, 08:56 PM) *

LMAO... it was those right hands to the dome that made them get desperate. Floyd hits harder than given credit for.
checkleft
Didn't he have something like a 80% ko ratio under welterweight?..

Idk if its power, but as a guy that trains and spars his speed and accuracy is amazing. That if anything would be the thing that would stun me the most if I was in the ring with someone like that.
neophyte7
QUOTE (checkleft @ Feb 29 2012, 09:42 PM) *
Didn't he have something like a 80% ko ratio under welterweight?..

Idk if its power, but as a guy that trains and spars his speed and accuracy is amazing. That if anything would be the thing that would stun me the most if I was in the ring with someone like that.

that speed and elusiveness made Ortiz lose his mind in the ring ... LMAO.. I have never seen before him a fighter leap with his head like Floyd's face was a soccer ball.. LMAO... he got KTFO for that shit... LMAO
Franchize

What concessions did Manny exactly make? The fact that he's drug testing like everyone else Floyd is fighting nowadays? Manny himself said "I'll take less money to fight Floyd." When he was called on it, what happened? He wants 50/50. Really, name the last fight in which two top tier guys got a 50/50 split? When you really think about it, why SHOULD Manny get a 50/50 split? He has losses, draws and he's facing a fighter with none. He has @ least 3 fights that he won that are up for debate. His most recent fight, most people think he lost (against a guy who Floyd dismantled and pitched a shut out against).

Furthermore, it pains me that people like Dan Rafael, who's fairly knowledgeable about the sport and has a huge platform for the casual fan out there, doesn't expose the nonsense going on with Bob Arum and Top Rank. The enabler for Bob Arum is the casual fan. Their info comes strictly from ESPN, from guys like Skip Bayless who know absolutely nothing about the sport and is super biased, but poses like an aficianado.

Explain this: Bob Arum complained about this imaginary "outdoor stadium" because the MGM wasn't big enough. Where is Manny's next fight? Where was his last fight? Where was his fight vs De La Hoya? Where was his fight vs Mosley? Where was his fight vs Cotto? Where was his fight vs Ledwaba? Where was the first fight against Marquez? Where was his fight vs Hatton? Where was his loss vs Morales? C'mon now... stop it. Those are FACTS...not speculation.

Manny has fought in the MGM Grand @ least 9 times. Of those 9 fights, all were career milestone fights. Why is it a problem to fight Floyd for $40mill in the MGM but ok to fight Bradley $9mill in the same venue? Is making more money a bad thing?

What pisses me off is that this stuff doesn't get exposed. Alex Ariza blatantly and boldly coming out and saying it's Bob Arum who doesn't want the fight. This is something coming out of PACQUIAO'S CAMP, but it won't make ESPN. But let Floyd say something about Jeremy Lin and it scrolls across the bottom every 5 minutes.
BigDDatHomey
QUOTE (daprofessor @ Feb 29 2012, 07:46 PM) *

Cotta is nowhere near as quick as Ortiz is. 8oz. gloves are because Floyd is going for a knockout. I see a TKO. Cotto's corner isn't going to let him take massive amounts of punishment. Mayweather is going to start being ascertive about the 4th-5th round, then by the 8th they will be ready to throw in the towel.

If Cotta was getting hit by Marg, he will be surgically TKO'd. Remember one thing about Cotto. His face bruises and swells pretty quickly, thanks to loaded wraps.

At the end of the day though, this is boxing and it only takes one punch, or maybe a couple.
daprofessor
QUOTE (BigDDatHomey @ Mar 1 2012, 02:44 PM) *
Cotta is nowhere near as quick as Ortiz is. 8oz. gloves are because Floyd is going for a knockout. I see a TKO. Cotto's corner isn't going to let him take massive amounts of punishment. Mayweather is going to start being ascertive about the 4th-5th round, then by the 8th they will be ready to throw in the towel.

If Cotta was getting hit by Marg, he will be surgically TKO'd. Remember one thing about Cotto. His face bruises and swells pretty quickly, thanks to loaded wraps.

At the end of the day though, this is boxing and it only takes one punch, or maybe a couple.

he's a much smarter fighter than ortiz and is excellent at placing his shots. he will hit mayweathers shoulders and arms to create openings. i'll say this....ortiz rocked mayweather before that headbutt and wasn't able to capitalize on it. if cotto lands that kind of shot on mayweather, don't expect him to miss as much as ortiz afterwards. sure...one punch can change it all. that works both ways with 8 or 10oz gloves.
Jovi
Man i see this fight being a shutout. When i was watching Cotto/Margarito 2 it looked like he was still getting hurt and tired by the end. floyd trains to fight 15 rounds, on top of that mayweather always comes out strong in the first like 4 rounds, Ortiz couldnt make it past it mentally, then failed. Cotto wont last, if you were to watch all of floyd's fight he really does make every fighter look the same one way or another. He hasn't been knocked out in his whole career other than the time when he hurt his hand, with this 8oz Gloves he just wants to beat him faster lol.
Cshel86
QUOTE (daprofessor @ Mar 1 2012, 08:40 PM) *
ortiz rocked mayweather before that headbutt and wasn't able to capitalize on it. if cotto lands that kind of shot on mayweather, don't expect him to miss as much as ortiz afterwards.

Let me guess, Cotto will land just as much on Floyd, as he did against Pacquiao and Clottey when he had their backs against the ropes? All I remember is Cotto throwing wide shots that were getting blocked, and his failure to use an uppercut against a stationary opponent with their backs against the ropes. I'll hold my breath for this one...

QUOTE (Jovi @ Mar 1 2012, 09:34 PM) *
When i was watching Cotto/Margarito 2 it looked like he was still getting hurt and tired by the end.

+1

Im looking at how Cotto was able to land against Margarito in the first fight when they had 8 oz gloves on, but he was still getting hit. Maybe it's because he couldn't hurt Margarito. In this fight, Cotto will be trying to land against a guy who's hard to be hit, and also has the speed and accuracy to hit Miguel whenever he pleases.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.