Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Broner vs Gamboa
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
mrwigi
After watching Broner fight this weekend, i started think, how would a fight go between him and Gamboa. I know Adrien hasnt really been tested as of yet, and Gamboa has had fights against solis and solido, but i still think it would make for an exciting fight. So i ask, who should Broner fight next that may prepare him for Yuri. And assuming Gamboa gets passed Rios... And there fight is held at 135.... Who you picking?
Cshel86
Good post! I believe this is a good measuring stick for both of them! Gamboa hasn't fought anybody that pretty much matches him in the skill and speed department, and it will be a while before Broner faces someone close to his skill level...unless he's in the ring with Gamboa.

Great match, but I dont feel that it would happen unless Arum gets his thumb out of his ass and stop carrying his feelings on his shoulders...
checkleft
Idk about Gamboa at these weight classes. He's kind of small but this would be the first fight where a counter puncher is fast enough to counter him and strong enough to hurt him at the same time. He looked really uncomfortable in there against ponce who was trying to counter him. But who knows, this would definitely be an interesting fight
mrwigi
QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Feb 27 2012, 11:12 AM) *
Good post! I believe this is a good measuring stick for both of them! Gamboa hasn't fought anybody that pretty much matches him in the skill and speed department, and it will be a while before Broner faces someone close to his skill level...unless he's in the ring with Gamboa.

Great match, but I dont feel that it would happen unless Arum gets his thumb out of his ass and stop carrying his feelings on his shoulders...

I was pretty much thinking the same thing. I just believe these are the types of fights that boxing needs. I just wonder how long it will be for either fighter steps up to someone who can actually match up with them. I almost wanted to throw Juan Lopez in there as well. I think he would punish Gamboa, but he would have a lot more problems with Adrien.

As far as King Bob is concerned, I have voiced my opinion about him as much as I can, but I will say it once more.. Bob Arum can eat a dick!
mrwigi
QUOTE (checkleft @ Feb 27 2012, 11:27 AM) *
Idk about Gamboa at these weight classes. He's kind of small but this would be the first fight where a counter puncher is fast enough to counter him and strong enough to hurt him at the same time. He looked really uncomfortable in there against ponce who was trying to counter him. But who knows, this would definitely be an interesting fight

I agree with you here. In a battle of two untested fighters, I would have to go with Adrien. He just always looks more comfortable in the ring than Gamboa.
leonthegee
Broner punishes Gamboa at any of the LW or JLW weight classes. Broners got the reach advantage and Gamboa likes to drop his hands. Call Broner cocaine cuz hell knumb up your gums.
Franchize
This would be a FOY candidate. I think Broner would win for one simple reason. He defends himself better than Gamboa. While Gamboa's defense has improved, he still takes too many risks and has lapses defensively. Broner's shoulder roll has improved every fight I've seen him in. I think that will ultimately be the difference.
BoxingEinstein

Broner vs Gamboa would be an instant classic.....but too bad that after Bam Bam is done with Gamboa he would never be the same fighter. Bam Bam will make Gamboa a more hesitant fighter to take chances and get into exchanges after tasting someones power.
daprofessor
bad match up for gamboa. they are equally skilled....and have equal speed. i give the edge in defense to broner. i could see broner stopping gamboa. he's too short for broner and he'd have to fight a totally different style to beat broner because boxing isn't going to work against the taller and equally skilled opponent.
Cshel86
QUOTE (Franchize @ Feb 27 2012, 04:13 PM) *
While Gamboa's defense has improved, he still takes too many risks and has lapses defensively.

+1

The only reason his defensive flaws haven't been exposed, is because he hasn't fought anybody fast enough to make him pay for it. If I remember correctly, Salido had a nice quick moment in their fight because Gamboa got a but careless.

QUOTE (daprofessor @ Feb 27 2012, 04:52 PM) *
against the taller and equally skilled opponent.

Wow...I totally forgot about the height difference...not sure how big the difference is.
bnoles4life
As I see it, Broner's chin is the question mark in determining who's the victor in this match up. I haven't seen Broner's chin validated. I'm not saying it has or hasn't been, just I've yet to witness it. I think if Gamboa can't carry his power or if Broner catches good, then it's likely a looooooong (or relatively short) night for the guy who's name starts w/ Y.

Btw, anyone else notice against Perez, how earily similar Broner resembled a young PBF at LW?
Cshel86
Good point! We haven't seen Broner's chin tested yet, and I also believe Gamboa will keep his power while only moving up 4 lbs to 130. In the Perez fight, I noticed a young guy who was happy to display some rather copied and scripted ring skills.

Now, who is the real Broner...we wont know until that chin gets tested. If he adjusts like Mayweather can (when things get rough in the ring), then I'll crown him king of something...whatever that may be laugh.gif

In the meantime, Im sure Floyd is glad to watch a young guy fight nearly verbatim to the way he did/does. These days, when boxers are done with their careers and dealing with the bullshit that comes with the sport...they dont want their children to become fighters, ever.

Again, Floyd must be enjoying the luxury of watching Broner perform!
daprofessor
QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Feb 27 2012, 05:30 PM) *
+1

The only reason his defensive flaws haven't been exposed, is because he hasn't fought anybody fast enough to make him pay for it. If I remember correctly, Salido had a nice quick moment in their fight because Gamboa got a but careless.

Wow...I totally forgot about the height difference...not sure how big the difference is.

it's about 2 inches...but i think broner has a significant reach advantage. i'd love to see the fight.
checkleft
I'm just saying if salido could put yuri down with one of those wild ass hooks broner is gonna be dancing some more.
mrwigi
I agree that the biggest question mark in the fight would be Broner's chin. He undoubtedly has the skill set to beat Gamboa and maybe even stop him. The question is, how well we he respond if/when he gets hit with a big shot.
CDeezFoo
This is the first time I got to watch Broner and it was awesome to see. ..it was as if I was watching young Kobe emulate Jordan when he had first come into the league...but this time I'm not mad at the guy. Broner was doing everything from the shoulder roll to Floyd's little faces he makes on the inside when the opponent doesn't get anything in. I'm very intrigued and happy to see somebody that may carry the Floyd style into the future. Also, if this guy can take a punch..or even better for now not even get hit with anything...then this guy is on his way. He likes to talk as well but its so over the top that I think people will like him rather than hate him
Cshel86
QUOTE (CDeezFoo @ Feb 28 2012, 03:04 PM) *
Broner was doing everything from the shoulder roll to Floyd's little faces he makes on the inside when the opponent doesn't get anything in. I'm very intrigued and happy to see somebody that may carry the Floyd style into the future.

drag.gif

Im sorry, your speech is a bit groggy...you may want to try removing Floyd's testic...well, nevermind...
bnoles4life
QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Feb 28 2012, 05:13 PM) *
drag.gif

Im sorry, your speech is a bit groggy...you may want to try removing Floyd's testic...well, nevermind...

BWWWAAAHHHAAAAAAA....dude you're a fuck'n fool! yahoo.gif
bnoles4life
QUOTE (checkleft @ Feb 27 2012, 10:00 PM) *
I'm just saying if salido could put yuri down with one of those wild ass hooks broner is gonna be dancing some more.

True that.
Cshel86
QUOTE (bnoles4life @ Feb 28 2012, 04:52 PM) *

Dont pay me any attention laugh.gif
Slumpage
Broner's defence IS better than Gamboa's, I can agree with that. However as some of you guys have mentioned, we've yet to really see Broner get tested yet. Assuming my boy Gamboa deals with Rios the way I expect him to (i'm prediciting a win by stoppage for Gamboa btw), i'd love to see how Broner deals with the elite level speed, power and skills Gamboa has. Boxing definietly thrives on fights like this being made, I hope we can get it... What's Gary Russel Jr doing at the moment anyway? He's been a bit quiet...
Cshel86
Yeah you're right Slumpage, none of us have seen Broner truly tested, other than that De Leon fight, where De Leon seemed to leave this huge cloud of question marks about his ability to adjust and get the job done.

Imagine if he did get past Gamboa though, with no little to no trouble...then Im wondering who else out there would be able to test him. Im sure Gamboa will put in some work and make it a fight, so I wont look any further than Gamboa at the present time.

GR Jr....who knows where he is. When is the next Al Haymon night on HBO or Showtime, Im sure he'll pop up then. Maybe he'll have an opponent for the Berto/Ortiz rematch in June, as he did for the triple header that was supposed to take place this month. He may not wait that long though...
mrwigi
I heard GR JR's name get thrown in there. If your going to throw his name in the mix, you might as well add JML as well. Assuming he gets pass Salido. In that case, I think he would punish Gamboa, and Broner would box circles around him.
CDeezFoo
QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Feb 28 2012, 03:13 PM) *
drag.gif

QUOTE (bnoles4life @ Feb 28 2012, 03:52 PM) *

QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Feb 28 2012, 09:05 PM) *
Dont pay me any attention laugh.gif

sounding like a couple of cowboys ridin horses up in the mountains....talking about sucking on balls...um yeah thats gay. and i was making a point...Kobe used to do all of MJ's moves, hand gestures and even stuck his tongue out...now this guy Broner looks like he's doing the same thing but with Floyd. my fault though..i thought this was a boxing forum...didnt know talking about a fighter would make you fantasize about suckin on some mans balls....lol fags
checkleft
Well broner said he's gonna try to land on the Khan Peterson undercard if their was enough funds left. But idk who he could match up with
Cshel86
QUOTE (CDeezFoo @ Feb 29 2012, 11:05 AM) *
sounding like a couple of cowboys ridin horses up in the mountains....talking about sucking on balls...um yeah thats gay. and i was making a point...Kobe used to do all of MJ's moves, hand gestures and even stuck his tongue out...now this guy Broner looks like he's doing the same thing but with Floyd. my fault though..i thought this was a boxing forum...didnt know talking about a fighter would make you fantasize about suckin on some mans balls....lol fags

mrchitown
If Gamboa can somehow defeat Rios in their matchup, I still think that Broner will beat him and Broner is a huge mis-match for him. I think Broner's defense will prove to be the dciding factor, I believe that Gamboa could very well carry that power up a division but his own defensive lapses may prove to be his down fall in this matchup
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.