Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 90's hwy weight contenders that would be champion today
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
Run and Gun Game Calls
I was thinking about how spoiled we became in the 90's with the heavyweight contender crop we had, how many do you think would be a dominant champion today against the modern division? Klits included. For me its a long list

1. Razor Ruddock - in the words of mike tyson hit like a mule, and had good size for a heavyweight. Wlad has never fought another heavyweight that matched up with him like Ruddock would.

2. Oliver McCall - An extreme waste of talent, stay off the dope boys

3. Ray Mercer - Great toughness, big power and he could box, to me would be champion for a few years agaist this crop

4. tommy morrison - I know morrison has a suspect chin, but it didnt really betray him until he punched himself out v/s Mercer then tokk a very brutal ko, dude was never the same. I keep thinking of corey sanders stopping Wlad, and honestly dont believe wlad could hold off a prime morrison

5. michael moorer- dude was a great fighter and champion in his prime. I remember the beast he was, and think he could have dealt with the size of the klits

6. Ike Ibeabuchi - sad story, huge huge talent

7. David Tua - Not Tyson, but not a bad substitute

FRINGE CONTENDER THAT WOULD MAKE THINGS INTERESTING

1. Frank Bruno - was always a top fighter who was beating lewis till he got caught, he has the size to give either brother trouble

2. Smokin Bert Cooper- rocked holyfield and dude had power and wasnt afraid to punch, anytime you have that you have a chance

Any others you can think of that would make today a much differant looking division?

Agree or disagree?

Cshel86
It will be a LONG time before we have HWs like we did in the 90's...a LONG time. Most of these dudes nowadays, cant even make an exciting fight against their own shadow, and have failed to even impress the boxing world.

If the Klitz bros were anywhere near as dominant as they are today, back in the 90's, then they would've remained dominant...in their country that is. No way in hell they would've made it in the states, especially with those hungry HWs from the 90's. Those dudes fought with purpose...not sure we'll see that any time soon.

I agree, the 90's spoiled us all...from sports, to music, to anything else you can think of, aside technology.
mgrover
i was born in the 90s so I cant comment much, I know Jones jr wasn't a heavyweight from the 90s, but I think he could of made an impact in the HW division there is now, I would of liked him to fight Holyfield or even a rematch with Toney rather than move down.
Run and Gun Game Calls
QUOTE (mgrover @ Mar 3 2012, 06:27 PM) *
i was born in the 90s so I cant comment much, I know Jones jr wasn't a heavyweight from the 90s, but I think he could of made an impact in the HW division there is now, I would of liked him to fight Holyfield or even a rematch with Toney rather than move down.

I agree with that, being 34, moving back down put a premature end to an aging fighter. Sorry but Tarver won fair and square against jones, but you have to be bias or blind to think Tarver beat anything but a shadow of the fighter jones was before the weight move.
mgrover
QUOTE (Run and Gun Game Calls @ Mar 4 2012, 12:15 AM) *
I agree with that, being 34, moving back down put a premature end to an aging fighter. Sorry but Tarver won fair and square against jones, but you have to be bias or blind to think Tarver beat anything but a shadow of the fighter jones was before the weight move.

Oh he won fair and square, but when I see that win, it doesn't hold as much weight as if he fought Jones jr before heavyweight.
Run and Gun Game Calls
QUOTE (mgrover @ Mar 3 2012, 11:25 PM) *
Oh he won fair and square, but when I see that win, it doesn't hold as much weight as if he fought Jones jr before heavyweight.

I agree thats exactly what i am saying.
mrchitown
Nice list, I totally agree with Ruddock. He was a great talent who gave Tyson all he could handle in 2 fights. I also think Moorer would be a beast in this era of Heavies. That southpaw style and when he was focused, made him an absolute nightmare to deal with in the ring
Run and Gun Game Calls
would love to have seen spinks v/s moorer in their primes at cruiserweight
daprofessor
QUOTE (Run and Gun Game Calls @ Mar 3 2012, 08:15 PM) *

the thing a lot of ppl fail to understand concerning roy was that he was picking and choosing all of his opposition and that made him look invincible. ppl who know and undertand boxing (not to say that u guys don't) understood that roy was beatable. i think ppl don't fully realize that he was always flawed and that tarver was the only guy he had faced that had the tools to expose that flaw.
flazi
the 90's was the best! music and fighters and all. Ruddock i think would have been champ today i think. Ibeabuchi too, to bad he wasn't stable mentally. We are forgetting two guys though, Holyfield and Bowe. EIther of those two would be champs today.
mgrover
QUOTE (daprofessor @ Mar 8 2012, 07:07 PM) *
the thing a lot of ppl fail to understand concerning roy was that he was picking and choosing all of his opposition and that made him look invincible. ppl who know and undertand boxing (not to say that u guys don't) understood that roy was beatable. i think ppl don't fully realize that he was always flawed and that tarver was the only guy he had faced that had the tools to expose that flaw.

it was obvious he lacked a lot of fundementals, but when he was younger he had the speed, reflexes and arguebly the strength to bend the rules, but in the end dropping 20lb of muscle is badddd at 34, i mean when he beat ruiz it wasnt that impressive since he roy jones jr picked him out because he was unskilled i guess is a pay to put it. he still had noteable wins when he was in his prime though
Cshel86
QUOTE (mgrover @ Mar 8 2012, 06:54 PM) *
it was obvious he lacked a lot of fundementals, but when he was younger he had the speed, reflexes and arguebly the strength to bend the rules, but in the end dropping 20lb of muscle is badddd at 34, i mean when he beat ruiz it wasnt that impressive since he roy jones jr picked him out because he was unskilled i guess is a pay to put it. he still had noteable wins when he was in his prime though

Yeah that was the beginning of the end for Roy. Besides, how do you lose muscle anyway? That's a serious question that I want to know the answer to, because I always thought that you stuck with muscle. Im actually trying to lose some myself...
flazi
hard to lose muscle unless its new muscle. basically you can't eat well and you have to train train then run and run and run some more while staying below maintanace calorie consumption. you will feel like shit though.
daprofessor
QUOTE (mgrover @ Mar 8 2012, 07:54 PM) *

ok. he was drained in the first tarver fight....but roy won that one. remember? the rematch gave him plenty of time to adjust to dropping 20lbs.

it was like tarver said...."got any excuses tonite roy!?" laugh.gif imo, the weight wasn't an issue in the 2nd fight where tarver put heads to bed.
daprofessor
QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Mar 8 2012, 08:07 PM) *
Yeah that was the beginning of the end for Roy. Besides, how do you lose muscle anyway? That's a serious question that I want to know the answer to, because I always thought that you stuck with muscle. Im actually trying to lose some myself...

lay off the protein....burn more calories...take in less.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.