Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Yuri dropping out of the rios fight???
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
checkleft
They reported on boxingscene that he didn't show at his presser to announce the fight. That he was spotted in Vegas with people associated with the mayweather camp.

There have been rumors he is unhappy with the purse in the rios fight and that he might go to mayweather promotions.

When this fight was announced I was very skeptical because its two boxers that hardcore boxers really like and it would be a great matching of styles, but its a top rank fight. I figures they were trying to cash out on someone but wasn't sure. Maybe yuri is seeing what happened with mayweather after he left bob and wants some of that action

If true a broner Gamboa fight could be on the horizon especially with the publicity Floyd gave them by saying he is willing to pass the torch to either of those guys.

What are your guys thoughts
Kratza
Just because he didnt show up doesn't mean hes dropping out, its most likely just mind games
leonthegee
I never really liked the matchup. Rios is a big LW and Yuri's moving up 2 weight classes.
checkleft
From the article it sounded like he wasn't happy with the purse and they said(could be false) that there's a lot of chatter saying he doesn't want the fight.
Cshel86
Well if thats the case, then he's just gonna have to be unhappy with his purse split for this fight...because Im damn sure pumped up to see it. Spoken from the mouth of a true selfish boxing fan laugh.gif

Seriously though, there have been a few cases when fighters didn't show up for the press conference, so Im wondering what he reason is. I almost thought this fight was too good to be true when it was announced, and once again, this would be yet another serious mindfuck on Arum's behalf. Wouldn't be surprised though....
checkleft
Yea I had that same feeling of "too good to be true" so these rumors aren't really surprising me. Especially since its like a fantasy match up coming from arum
Slumpage
Man... I was really looking forward to this fight. However if this means Gamboa escaping Top Rank and the clutches of Arum, then i'm in favour of it..

Pissed that this fight may not happen now though. Although I don't see how Gamboa can get out of it without paying Bob a sizeable amount in compensation... Floyd aint gonna pay that, lol!
iKeNjiro
Sounds like Gamboa was found chillin' and working out at Mayweather's Gym

With Oscar's announcement coming soon for you guys, it'll be interested to see what's going on

My honest take
Gamboa hanging with Floyd jr. a whole lot and then Floyd wanting to pass the torch to either Broner or Boa (Gamboa) tells me both these guys at some point will sign with Mayweather promotions....

Now Oscar's announcement mmmmmm few more hours till then
It'll be Wednesday morning for me so look forward to waking up to the news
Cshel86
Abril is just another unknown, dipshit, opportunist, who's gonna get his ass kicked by Rios and nobody will remember him afterwards no2.gif Shit, if Gamboa wants to weasel his way out of this one, just to try and fit in with the "cool guys", then so be it.

If this is the case (him not being happy with his purse), then that's his fault. He signed the contract with TR and he should've known what he was in for. As a matter fact, screw Gamboa in the meantime, just let Rios move up to 140 and give him Alvarado or Prescott. Those fights should be easier to make anyway.

As for Gamboa, he still has some heavy lifting to do. His biggest issue at the moment is not having a big fan base. That's one of the reasons the Lopez fight didn't happen. Between Rios and Gamboa, Rios is the somewhat of the bigger draw anyhow. For Arum, if it ever came down to getting rid of either Gamboa or Rios...that would be an easy decision (Gamboa)...
checkleft
Well according to the front page Gamboa is saying he never signed anything. This is starting to look exactly like the cotto mayweather situation. Gamboa wants out of top rank and instead arum is gonna make him look like a duck for not jumping two weight classes and fighting a bloated lw lol
Cshel86
QUOTE (checkleft @ Mar 6 2012, 12:10 PM) *
arum is gonna make him look like a duck for not jumping two weight classes and fighting a bloated lw

...or Arum will shelf him for showing his ass. He did the same to Donaire, but ended up booking him in a few not-so-pleasing fights. Think about it, how many big fights has Gamboa been in?

So, Arum will keep him and make him suffer by throwing him in there with tomato cans, to kill the rest of the appeal that he has left. Again, if Arum had to choose between Rios and Gamboa...the choice wouldn't be hard.
Cheesey1
Good for Gamboa. The last minute nature of things is disappointing, but fuck it, if he didn't sign, then too f'ing bad. Obviously TR is going to try some breach of implied contract nonsense, or whatever heathenry (is that even a word) they usually pull.
I hope that Gamboa knows what he's doing because the Bobfather giveth and the Bobfather taketh.
Yuriorkis Gamboa, you are in my prayers my brother. May you be delivered from the clutches of the scribes and the pharisees. Hallelujah!
MaxPayne
I wonder whether Golden Boy/Mayweather Promotions would make the same mistake about trying to sign a guy who is under contract with another company. They got burned bad in that Nonito situation, and from what I hear, Gamboa has 2 years left on his deal.

I'm pretty sure I know what's going on.

Floyd has been whispering in Gamboa's ear about how he's being ripped off like a motherfucker because he fights under TR. Gamboa went home, did some thinking, and realized that the only way to hardball negotiate was to say, "I won't sign the contract. I'm not showing up to any dumbass press conference for a fight that isn't even signed."

Gamboa's an excellent fighter and someone who is very, very exciting to watch, regardless of whether you like skills or KO possibilities.

The problem is, he just turned 30 and time is running out. Guys at the lower weight classes don't last into their late 30's like heavyweights do.

Perhaps he's trying to get fired ? I don't think that will work, because TR will simply either keep him on the bench or put him in a tough fight, pay off the judges and get some "split decision loss" bullshit going, to kill off his brand by getting losses on his record, by the time his contract ends.
pimpfighterROQ
Soo bottom line is that Gamboa is pretty much fucked. But still for not to show up on a press conference at HIS hometown is fucked up. Why dont these guys learn from each others mistakes lol
MaxPayne
QUOTE (pimpfighterROQ @ Mar 6 2012, 01:18 PM) *
Soo bottom line is that Gamboa is pretty much fucked. But still for not to show up on a press conference at HIS hometown is fucked up. Why dont these guys learn from each others mistakes lol

Not really. Once again, if he's unhappy about the money he'll be making for this fight, then he has every right to try and play hardball. He needs to stand up to his promoters and put his demands out there in no uncertain terms.
daprofessor
this is why it is important for fighters to have options when it comes to promoters....

not all promoters can look out for the best interests of all of their fighters. apparently, gamboa has not signed a contract...yet they are trying to force him to promote a fight when he hasn't even agreed to any terms? sound familiar? kelly pavlik dealt with the same shit and all the top rank shills(writers for websites i won't name...) shit on kelly for pulling out. there is no second chance to get it right in boxing. the deal has to be right or there is no fight. i can't fault gamboa in this. he has to look out for his own best interests. arum has plenty of guys lined up to take his spot...gamboa only gets one shot to get it right.
Cshel86
QUOTE (MaxPayne @ Mar 6 2012, 01:50 PM) *
if he's unhappy about the money he'll be making for this fight, then he has every right to try and play hardball. He needs to stand up to his promoters and put his demands out there in no uncertain terms.

Not really...the only time hardball needs to be played is when the contract is up. Other than that, "softball" should be played until the fighter has a choice of whether or not he wants to deal with the promoter anymore.

A game of hardball while still under contract, leads to litigation, unusual incidents with the fighter, a soft ass, and empty pockets if your finances aren't straight. Im not sure that all fighters (especially Gamboa) are able to buy out of their contracts, like some have been fortunate enough to do.

If most of these fighters had money, then there would be no need to be under contract to begin with, so that's reason enough to explain why they cant buy out of their contracts. I have no problem with a fighter speaking up about what they may not fully agree with, but stunts like this never end well.

Be a slave (which the fighter signed up for), but wen your contract is over, find somewhere else to go. The problem that I have with some fighters is that, they come from nothing, sign a contract, let the media and fans amp them up to feel bigger than they really are, then they get this "false sense of entitlement"...all while forgetting that they're still somebody's slave.

QUOTE (daprofessor @ Mar 6 2012, 02:37 PM) *
kelly pavlik dealt with the same shit and all the top rank shills(writers for websites i won't name...) shit on kelly for pulling out. there is no second chance to get it right in boxing.

laugh.gif

I remember that shitty $50k payday that Pavlik didn't find out until the a day or two before the fight!
Cheesey1
QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Mar 6 2012, 03:18 PM) *
Not really...the only time hardball needs to be played is when the contract is up. Other than that, "softball" should be played until the fighter has a choice of whether or not he wants to deal with the promoter anymore.

A game of hardball while still under contract, leads to litigation, unusual incidents with the fighter, a soft ass, and empty pockets if your finances aren't straight. Im not sure that all fighters (especially Gamboa) are able to buy out of their contracts, like some have been fortunate enough to do.

If most of these fighters had money, then there would be no need to be under contract to begin with, so that's reason enough to explain why they cant buy out of their contracts. I have no problem with a fighter speaking up about what they may not fully agree with, but stunts like this never end well.

Be a slave (which the fighter signed up for), but wen your contract is over, find somewhere else to go. The problem that I have with some fighters is that, they come from nothing, sign a contract, let the media and fans amp them up to feel bigger than they really are, then they get this "false sense of entitlement"...all while forgetting that they're still somebody's slave.

laugh.gif

I remember that shitty $50k payday that Pavlik didn't find out until the a day or two before the fight!

I understand your point re. the correct time to negotiate, but if the Bobfather has it in writing then fine he can enforce it, but if Gamboa didn't sign as he claims, then run Kunta, run. I'll be waiting for you in Canada my brother.
Cshel86
QUOTE (Cheesey1 @ Mar 6 2012, 03:40 PM) *
I understand your point re. the correct time to negotiate, but if the Bobfather has it in writing then fine he can enforce it, but if Gamboa didn't sign as he claims, then run Kunta, run. I'll be waiting for you in Canada my brother.

Hahaha!!!

Gamboa cant do shit, really. He can keep up the stunts with this fight, and end up on the shelf. Of course he didn't sign the contract for the Rios fight, but the contract that he really shouldn't have signed, was the Trump Rank contact.

So, he better have a decent plan and a good way to clean up this mess he made. Seriously, people were looking forward to this fight, and for him to not show up at the presser was a bigger mess. The fact that Yuri didn't sign, and Bob went on with the press tour anyhow, just goes to show us whose really in control.

What is also uglier, is the fact that he way at Mayweather's gym training. C'mon Yuri, out of all gyms, really? The guy that people love to hate and blame for the biggest fight in history, will also be blamed for robbing us of a good fight between Rios and Gamboa...regardless of the real story (you know how the media gets with Floyd).

Hell, if he was at least training at the Wild Card gym while holding up this press tour, then that would've at least taken the edge off a bit laugh.gif Being at the gym of the most hated guy in boxing and publicly say that "they're friends", is even more infuriating to the blind fans out there.

daprofessor
QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Mar 6 2012, 04:18 PM) *

Be a slave (which the fighter signed up for), but wen your contract is over, find somewhere else to go. The problem that I have with some fighters is that, they come from nothing, sign a contract, let the media and fans amp them up to feel bigger than they really are, then they get this "false sense of entitlement"...all while forgetting that they're still somebody's slave. laugh.gif

i get what ur saying...but i totally disagree with this. contracts get renegotiated all the time. gamboa is not an average fighter. it's apparent someone is in his ear to help him understand his worth. he has every right to make statements. sounds to me like he's willing to fulfill his contract. he's just not laying down for arum. good for him.
daprofessor
QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Mar 6 2012, 05:46 PM) *
Hahaha!!!

Gamboa cant do shit, really. He can keep up the stunts with this fight, and end up on the shelf. Of course he didn't sign the contract for the Rios fight, but the contract that he really shouldn't have signed, was the Trump Rank contact.

So, he better have a decent plan and a good way to clean up this mess he made. Seriously, people were looking forward to this fight, and for him to not show up at the presser was a bigger mess. The fact that Yuri didn't sign, and Bob went on with the press tour anyhow, just goes to show us whose really in control.

What is also uglier, is the fact that he way at Mayweather's gym training. C'mon Yuri, out of all gyms, really? The guy that people love to hate and blame for the biggest fight in history, will also be blamed for robbing us of a good fight between Rios and Gamboa...regardless of the real story (you know how the media gets with Floyd).

Hell, if he was at least training at the Wild Card gym while holding up this press tour, then that would've at least taken the edge off a bit laugh.gif Being at the gym of the most hated guy in boxing and publicly say that "they're friends", is even more infuriating to the blind fans out there.

sure he can. he chose not to play the usual game and now toprank is scrambling. if anything....toprank loses in this scenario. what message gets sent to the fans and future potential toprank fighters? arum is the one looking bad in all of this. what kind of promoter promotes a fight where contracts have not even been signed yet? i'll tell u...one who is trying to stick it to his own fighter.
Cheesey1
QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Mar 6 2012, 04:46 PM) *
Hahaha!!!

The type of people that are going to try to blame this on Mayweather are the type of people that were going to find something to blame him for sooner, or later. Let them open their mouths and show their true colours. People like that you just can't please, so I say, to hell with them.
Cshel86
I just dont see how far "bucking" (refusing) will get a fighter who belongs to a promoter for a period of time. As much as I dont like Top Rank, the truth is, it's the leading promotional company in the sport.

If he doesn't sign for this fight (as he's already shown us), then he will have to sign for something else, if he ever gets another fight of any worth. If he refuses to do any of the above, then let litigation begin...
Cheesey1
QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Mar 6 2012, 05:33 PM) *
I just dont see how far "bucking" (refusing) will get a fighter who belongs to a promoter for a period of time. As much as I dont like Top Rank, the truth is, it's the leading promotional company in the sport.

If he doesn't sign for this fight (as he's already shown us), then he will have to sign for something else, if he ever gets another fight of any worth. If he refuses to do any of the above, then let litigation begin...

Cuban David vs. Non-Cuban Goliath. Maybe the Saint will agree to pray with me on behalf of the Cuban David....ehrm maybe not, the Bobfather would surely strike him down for such blashpemy.
wolterb
anyone thinkin the whole pre-fight debacle is going to end up a court matter? judging by TR's president remarking that there is a binding document and Gamboa's assertion that no contract was made...seems like it is heading that direction to me.
bnoles4life
QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Mar 6 2012, 06:33 PM) *

CUE Al Haymon <------those that do not know history are doomed to repeat it. Sounds pretty familiar doesn't it? Best believe Bob knows what's up.
Cshel86
QUOTE (bnoles4life @ Mar 6 2012, 11:29 PM) *
CUE Al Haymon <------those that do not know history are doomed to repeat it. Sounds pretty familiar doesn't it? Best believe Bob knows what's up.

Exactly...
Slumpage
Seems to me like Gamboa is still intending to fight Rios, I mean why go to Vegas and train if you're not intending to fight? I know people are speculating about the Mayweather/Haymon link, but fact is he did do a gym session and at least appears to still be in preperation for the April bout. If what he says about not having a fight contract signed is true, well then he "should" have Arum over a barrel in some sense. Seems to me like his Lawyer believes this to be the case. If Top Rank have all gone and started promoting the bout, spent money etc, then I assume HBO and the various sponsors are expecting to get the headliner they were promised. So if Gamboa isn't happy with the offer he can refuse it (he def has that right). That leaves Arum to either offer more money or maybe renegotiate Gamboa's TR contract giving him what he wants (a release by the sounds of it) to try and get the fight signed off. However the presence of some guy called Abril at the 2nd presser, who then got into a brawl with Rios (which btw SMACKS of staged drama) to set up a plan B if Gamboa continues to play hardball was ominous...

As i said earlier (maybe in another thread) I am not happy that this fight may not happen, was really looking forward to it. However after reading the various articles regarding Arum/Top Rank and the contract situations involving guys like Manny and Pavlik on this site and others, I can understand Gamboa tryna escape. I mean its not like it aint in his nature to try and escape an oppressive regime that stifles your money making potential, lol!

That said, he better be careful, we all saw what happened to Donaire, and more tellingly, Clottey when they crossed Arum...
Cshel86
QUOTE (Slumpage @ Mar 7 2012, 11:35 AM) *
Seems to me like Gamboa is still intending to fight Rios, I mean why go to Vegas and train if you're not intending to fight?

Good question!

QUOTE (Slumpage @ Mar 7 2012, 11:35 AM) *
That leaves Arum to either offer more money or maybe renegotiate Gamboa's TR contract giving him what he wants (a release by the sounds of it) to try and get the fight signed off.

nono.gif

No, no, no...when dealing with Arum...there's no release, with repercussions. Most of all, there's no celebration, without litigation. cool.gif
Slumpage
QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Mar 7 2012, 11:49 AM) *
Good question!

nono.gif

No, no, no...when dealing with Arum...there's no release, with repercussions. Most of all, there's no celebration, without litigation. cool.gif

True that... Only way you escape Arum is to buy yourself out like Oscar and Floyd did. So unless Gamboa got someone fronting up the money for him, I doubt he can. Donaire damn sure couldn't, and I think he definitely looked into it. Maybe that's why Gamboa decided to hit up Floyd, see if he can get something done, sign to Mayweather promotions if they cover his release fee? I dunno, speculating here man, will keep my eyes peeled for any scrap of info...

Was interesting to read that Gamboa is unhappy with that Oner dude too tho, wasn't that the guy who helped get him out of Cuba?
Cshel86
QUOTE (Slumpage @ Mar 7 2012, 12:03 PM) *
True that... Only way you escape Arum is to buy yourself out like Oscar and Floyd did. So unless Gamboa got someone fronting up the money for him, I doubt he can. Donaire damn sure couldn't, and I think he definitely looked into it. Maybe that's why Gamboa decided to hit up Floyd, see if he can get something done, sign to Mayweather promotions if they cover his release fee? I dunno, speculating here man, will keep my eyes peeled for any scrap of info...

Was interesting to read that Gamboa is unhappy with that Oner dude too tho, wasn't that the guy who helped get him out of Cuba?

Ha! You may actually be onto something here Slump! Oner could have had something to do with helping Yuri get out of Cuba, or Yuri may have done it the old fashion way...ESCAPE, like a lot of those other guys did in Cuba.

I believe I remember hearing something about Yuri escaping Cuba, back in the Friday Night Fight days when I used to watch him. I could be wrong though, so dont quote me. That may have very well been part of the back story of one of the many Cubans that I've watched on FNF.
Cheesey1
"no celebration without litigation" - nice one.

"No emancipation without confrontation"

"No solution without revolution"
daprofessor
QUOTE (Slumpage @ Mar 7 2012, 12:35 PM) *
Seems to me like Gamboa is still intending to fight Rios, I mean why go to Vegas and train if you're not intending to fight? I know people are speculating about the Mayweather/Haymon link, but fact is he did do a gym session and at least appears to still be in preperation for the April bout. If what he says about not having a fight contract signed is true, well then he "should" have Arum over a barrel in some sense. Seems to me like his Lawyer believes this to be the case. If Top Rank have all gone and started promoting the bout, spent money etc, then I assume HBO and the various sponsors are expecting to get the headliner they were promised. So if Gamboa isn't happy with the offer he can refuse it (he def has that right). That leaves Arum to either offer more money or maybe renegotiate Gamboa's TR contract giving him what he wants (a release by the sounds of it) to try and get the fight signed off. However the presence of some guy called Abril at the 2nd presser, who then got into a brawl with Rios (which btw SMACKS of staged drama) to set up a plan B if Gamboa continues to play hardball was ominous...

As i said earlier (maybe in another thread) I am not happy that this fight may not happen, was really looking forward to it. However after reading the various articles regarding Arum/Top Rank and the contract situations involving guys like Manny and Pavlik on this site and others, I can understand Gamboa tryna escape. I mean its not like it aint in his nature to try and escape an oppressive regime that stifles your money making potential, lol!

That said, he better be careful, we all saw what happened to Donaire, and more tellingly, Clottey when they crossed Arum...

great post.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.