Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Showtime@10PM(ET)/7PM(PT):Salido vs. Lopez II-SPOILERS 15 Mins Later
FightHype Community > OTHER HYPE > Archives
Pages: 1, 2
Cshel86
Nooooooo!!!!!!! I hate to see Juanma go out like this twice....where does he go from here???
mrchitown
Salido rocked Juanma!! Damn that shot was brutal
Cheesey1
Congrats to Salido. Did Lopez sell himself short with his approach?

Great match!
HaydelHammer
and there U have it....if he'd boxed...he would have won IMO EASY.....let his PR pride get in the way and got his ass saved from his own heart.

he fought the other guys gameplan imo. He needs to smarten up or he won't last long. Brain dead as you guys have mentioned IMO.
Cshel86
QUOTE (HaydelHammer @ Mar 10 2012, 11:49 PM) *
and there U have it....if he'd boxed...he would have won IMO EASY.....let his PR pride get in the way and got his ass saved from his own heart.

he fought the other guys gameplan imo. He needs to smarten up or he won't last long. Brain dead as you guys have mentioned IMO.

+1

no2.gif

This shit isn't a good look for Lopez at all...
Cheesey1
QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Mar 10 2012, 11:47 PM) *
Nooooooo!!!!!!! I hate to see Juanma go out like this twice....where does he go from here???

Good question? I think that he can rebuild, let's see.
Cshel86
Im waiting to see what absent-minded motherfucker is going to log in and create a spoiler thread rolleyes_anim.gif

Why a third fight? He beat him twice in a row...
Cheesey1
QUOTE (HaydelHammer @ Mar 10 2012, 11:49 PM) *

I'd watch a third one and I think that Lopez could do something, but he'd have to stick to the boxing and leave the slugging for Salido.

Haha, what the hell are these accusations of gambling by Lopez?!?
Cshel86
QUOTE (Cheesey1 @ Mar 10 2012, 11:55 PM) *
what the hell are these accusations of gambling by Lopez?!?

He's still dazed and confused...dont mind him...
Cheesey1
Haha, what's up with the scorecards?
Cheesey1
QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Mar 10 2012, 11:56 PM) *
He's still dazed and confused...dont mind him...

Ha!
HaydelHammer
QUOTE (Cheesey1 @ Mar 10 2012, 11:55 PM) *
I'd watch a third one and I think that Lopez could do something, but he'd have to stick to the boxing and leave the slugging for Salido.

Haha, what the hell are these accusations of gambling by Lopez?!?

Juan is a dumbass....one thing I love about guys like Floyd and Roy Jones in his prime....the BANKED rounds...they fought strategic and conserved energy so even if they felt the other guy tried to push they pushed HARDER...NOT fight the other guys gameplan.

Juan needs to understand he is NOT trinidad and he does NOT have that eraser punching POWER to end a fight through attrition.
MaxPayne
Those scorecards are beyond disgraceful. What the fuck kind of shit are they smoking?
Cshel86
QUOTE (Cheesey1 @ Mar 10 2012, 11:57 PM) *
Haha, what's up with the scorecards?

They're drinkin' Captain Morgan's like good ol' CShel here...

QUOTE (HaydelHammer @ Mar 10 2012, 11:58 PM) *
Juan is a dumbass...

Nuff said...
Cshel86
QUOTE (MaxPayne @ Mar 10 2012, 11:59 PM) *
What the fuck kind of shit are they smoking?

They bought it from me...difference is, Im not scoring fights, so it's no big deal on my end...
MaxPayne
QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Mar 11 2012, 12:01 AM) *
They bought it from me...difference is, Im not scoring fights, so it's no big deal on my end...

Exactly! It's so clear that Arum was trying to pay off the judges to try and get JuanMa the belts back...too bad Solido had other plans. I can't believe I was cheering for a dude who's been juicing in the past, but anything to see Top Rank's plans get foiled.

I guess they're going to match up Mikey Garcia with Solido. Seems like that's a fight Garcia can and should win.
Cheesey1
QUOTE (HaydelHammer @ Mar 10 2012, 11:58 PM) *
Juan is a dumbass....one thing I love about guys like Floyd and Roy Jones in his prime....the BANKED rounds...they fought strategic and conserved energy so even if they felt the other guy tried to push they pushed HARDER...NOT fight the other guys gameplan.

Juan needs to understand he is NOT trinidad and he does NOT have that eraser punching POWER to end a fight through attrition.

Agreed.

I haven't followed Lopez' career, but I wonder if this false sense of bad-assness is the result of cushy match making.
Cshel86
Did anybody see how Juanma's neck shifted side-to-side when he hit the canvas? That shit was ugly! Honestly, I would much rather Lopez have lost this fight by a close decision, rather than a TKO. There's no way around a KO/TKO in a rematch when you already lost the first fight.
Cheesey1
QUOTE (MaxPayne @ Mar 11 2012, 12:06 AM) *
Exactly! It's so clear that Arum was trying to pay off the judges to try and get JuanMa the belts back...too bad Solido had other plans. I can't believe I was cheering for a dude who's been juicing in the past, but anything to see Top Rank's plans get foiled.

I guess they're going to match up Mikey Garcia with Solido. Seems like that's a fight Garcia can and should win.

Yeah, Garcia could look really good in that one. Salido won't go out like a punk though, unless Garcia catches him with a few wicked counters and then boom-shalak-lak boom, there goes the right.
Franchize
The casual fan in me liked this war. However, the true boxing fan, which I've become more and more of over the last couple of years, was somewhat disappointed. I hate to be negative. I know this was a war and will probably go down as a classic. However, I think I became somewhat exhausted with the spanish warriors for a split second. This fight was a dubious example of what's wrong with fighters today. The reason guys undefeated records are always so vulnerable. Boxers DO NOT display any type of defense anymore. It's terrible. I know defense doesn't really sell tickets but for boxing fans like myself, I like to see skill mixed in with my wars. There was very little skill involved in this fight. I take nothing away from Salido. He's an absolute warrior with "nuts and guts" as Gus Johnson likes to say. Juanma has amazin courage too. However, Salido wasn't doing anything special or tricky. Both guys were just winging punches. Salido's were actually wilder than Juanma's. The difference in the fight came in who could take the better punch and who's stamina was greater. While it's intriguing to see that battle of will take place. I can't continue to get equally excited over it. I've seen this movie before. This WAS NOT Castillo vs Corrales. This was not Pacquiao vs Marquez. They had skill mixed in with their wars. This was a bar fight.

p.s. That crowd was Amazing!
Cheesey1
QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Mar 11 2012, 12:08 AM) *
Did anybody see how Juanma's neck shifted side-to-side when he hit the canvas? That shit was ugly! Honestly, I would much rather Lopez have lost this fight by a close decision, rather than a TKO. There's no way around a KO/TKO in a rematch when you already lost the first fight.

Yup, it was a brutal knockdown, but one that Lopez could've avoided.
Cshel86
QUOTE (MaxPayne @ Mar 11 2012, 12:06 AM) *

Tell me about it! I only had Lopez winning about 3 rounds and a possible, but that's it. He was getting hit waaaay too often, with the same punches from the first fight. All of those dumb faces that he was making and all of those "riding of the bicycle" moments, didn't cover it for him.

Garcia may not be ready for a Mexican with 11-12 losses and a new reputation as a solid champion. If Garcia doesn't give it 'em early, then he may very well be in waters that he cant swim in.
HaydelHammer
QUOTE (Cheesey1 @ Mar 11 2012, 12:07 AM) *
Agreed.

I haven't followed Lopez' career, but I wonder if this false sense of bad-assness is the result of cushy match making.

Right ..there is a difference in knowing you can dig deep vs being told you are tought. If I'd fought salido twice I'd know where I stood..I'd know he is going the mile, he wil be there in the end, he is wanting to counter etc..that being said i'd make him pay, I'd mix in some boxing, confuse him, drop some speed counters on him to confuse him, movement, punish him.

the corner of JuanMan did a terrible job. He is not an eraser type puncher as Tito at all imo. Box him and finish him late off him getting un discipline.
Cshel86
QUOTE (Franchize @ Mar 11 2012, 12:09 AM) *
The casual fan in me liked this war. However, the true boxing fan, which I've become more and more of over the last couple of years, was somewhat disappointed. I hate to be negative. I know this was a war and will probably go down as a classic. However, I think I became somewhat exhausted with the spanish warriors for a split second. This fight was a dubious example of what's wrong with fighters today. The reason guys undefeated records are always so vulnerable. Boxers DO NOT display any type of defense anymore. It's terrible. I know defense doesn't really sell tickets but for boxing fans like myself, I like to see skill mixed in with my wars. There was very little skill involved in this fight. I take nothing away from Salido. He's an absolute warrior with "nuts and guts" as Gus Johnson likes to say. Juanma has amazin courage too. However, Salido wasn't doing anything special or tricky. Both guys were just winging punches. Salido's were actually wilder than Juanma's. The difference in the fight came in who could take the better punch and who's stamina was greater. While it's intriguing to see that battle of will take place. I can't continue to get equally excited over it. I've seen this movie before. This WAS NOT Castillo vs Corrales. This was not Pacquiao vs Marquez. They had skill mixed in with their wars. This was a bar fight.

I hardly disagree with your posts Franchize, and I wont right now. This was our a slight glimpse of Castillo/Corrales, except the Mex/PR rivalry was involved.
Cheesey1
QUOTE (Franchize @ Mar 11 2012, 12:09 AM) *

I generally agree. I wouldn't call it a simple bar fight, but apart from the choice of words, I agree.
HaydelHammer
dude got stopped in his hometown twice.

will he recover?
Hotsauce
nuts and guts baby
Cshel86
QUOTE (HaydelHammer @ Mar 11 2012, 12:33 AM) *
dude got stopped in his hometown twice.

will he recover?

He's got some heavy lifting to do...
checkleft
Found my round of the year. Incredible fight

What a monster right hook that started that kd, huge shot.

But all the respect I gained through the fight for lopez I lost in the interview. I honestly hope that was the punch still talking.

Btw horrendous scorecard not even the draw on that one card was good. That's six judges already this year that should never score a fight again for life (campillo fight). The way his year is starting if Bradley is gonna need nothing less then a ko to win.
Jack 1000
I only gave Lopez three rounds. Very good fight. A little too arm weary for both to be great, However, it was great the way Lopez kept coming and Solido too! I think I would have it a point or two closer than Giampa had it.

Jack
BigFightFan
QUOTE (Jack 1000 @ Mar 11 2012, 04:06 AM) *
I only gave Lopez three rounds. Very good fight. A little too arm weary for both to be great, However, it was great the way Lopez kept coming and Solido too! I think I would have it a point or two closer than Giampa had it.

Jack

3 rounds? I only gave him 1 round, the one where he got the knock down.
bnoles4life
Rounds 8 & 9 were NOT for kids!!!! Dayum. All I could think of is, while I'm loving this toe to toe action, these two are gonna be droolin' on themselves, in the not-so-distant future. #TeamBrainDamage
Jack 1000
Three rounds for Lopez 4, 5. and 9.

I actually gave Lopez the 9th round because I thought his come-back had been so courageous going on even terms. But it wasn't like a Ward-Gatti I round 9 where both had power on their shots, both guys exhausted there power and threw a lot of punches that didn't have the kind of snap and impact. It was still a great round. But I have seen more ROTY where fighters have more pop in their punches. These guys showed great heart and balls by looking for the pop in their punches, but they were both very tired after the 9th, which makes Salido's great 10th round KO all the more amazing.

Jack
Cshel86
QUOTE (bnoles4life @ Mar 11 2012, 05:34 PM) *
Rounds 8 & 9 were NOT for kids!!!!

laugh.gif

QUOTE (Jack 1000 @ Mar 11 2012, 06:36 PM) *
Three rounds for Lopez 4, 5. and 9.
I actually gave Lopez the 9th round because I thought his come-back had been so courageous going on even terms. But it wasn't like a Ward-Gatti I round 9 where both had power on their shots, both guys exhausted there power and threw a lot of punches that didn't have the kind of snap and impact. It was still a great round. But I have seen more ROTY where fighters have more pop in their punches. These guys showed great heart and balls by looking for the pop in their punches, but they were both very tired after the 9th, which makes Salido's great 10th round KO all the more amazing.

I actually gave the 9th to Salido because Lopez was still taking those SAME punches, and he was even countering lopez while his back was against the ropes. I can also see how you gave it to Lopez because of the come-back effort. 

As we all saw...Lopez go the worst of the 9th, as evidence by his walk back to the corner after the bell rang. I like the effort from both guys in the 9th though...sick stuff!

On a serious tip though, (no racial stereotyping intended), but rounds like the 9th are better suited for MEXCIANS ONLY, when it comes down to these PR vs Mexico wars. I've seen several fights that turn to that pace, and the PR fighter got the short end of the stick (as we saw how Lopez stumbled back to his corner after the 9th).

Point is, Mexicans fight like this ALL the time. Most PR fighters that I see, dish out punishment well and fight with finesse, but tend to break down when it's reciprocated. Not that this isn't the case for most fighters, but Mexican fighters (for the most part) take these punches with pride.

This Mexico vs PR rivalry has see-sawed over the years, but when it comes to taking punishment...its dead obvious whose more willing to take that route in order to see the finish line.
Jack 1000
QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Mar 11 2012, 06:58 PM) *
laugh.gif

I actually gave the 9th to Salido because Lopez was still taking those SAME punches, and he was even countering lopez while his back was against the ropes. I can also see how you gave it to Lopez because of the come-back effort. 

As we all saw...Lopez go the worst of the 9th, as evidence by his walk back to the corner after the bell rang. I like the effort from both guys in the 9th though...sick stuff!

On a serious tip though, (no racial stereotyping intended), but rounds like the 9th are better suited for MEXCIANS ONLY, when it comes down to these PR vs Mexico wars. I've seen several fights that turn to that pace, and the PR fighter got the short end of the stick (as we saw how Lopez stumbled back to his corner after the 9th).

Point is, Mexicans fight like this ALL the time. Most PR fighters that I see, dish out punishment well and fight with finesse, but tend to break down when it's reciprocated. Not that this isn't the case for most fighters, but Mexican fighters (for the most part) take these punches with pride.

This Mexico vs PR rivalry has see-sawed over the years, but when it comes to taking punishment...its dead obvious whose more willing to take that route in order to see the finish line.

I had it 6-3 for Salido. Did count the 5th round as a 10-8 for Lopez, just barely. So Salido ahead 86-84. I could see the first round going to Lopez or being even, but most judges don't like even rounds, so the 85-85 is pushing it The other two cards that had it close but for Lopez, was some home cooking there. I don't want to see a third fight. Salido has his number. However, he's got that journeymen type record, even though he is a damn good fighter, Salido is probably gonna have to KO or TKO guys because judges are not going to give a fighter breaks in close rounds with those losses against him.

Jack
BigFightFan
Lopez did not win round 9, he was throwing punches but salido was landing the harder more effective punches. Lopez only got 1 round from me
Cheesey1
QUOTE (HaydelHammer @ Mar 11 2012, 12:18 AM) *
Right ..there is a difference in knowing you can dig deep vs being told you are tought. If I'd fought salido twice I'd know where I stood..I'd know he is going the mile, he wil be there in the end, he is wanting to counter etc..that being said i'd make him pay, I'd mix in some boxing, confuse him, drop some speed counters on him to confuse him, movement, punish him.

the corner of JuanMan did a terrible job. He is not an eraser type puncher as Tito at all imo. Box him and finish him late off him getting un discipline.

Yup. He caught Salido with that nice clip on the jaw and with movement and placement, he could've replicated that several times. Oh well, Salido won and proved that on both nights he's been the better man.
checkleft
I gave lopez the first.. but after that it was hard to give him a round other then the kd and it was only cause of the kd. I believe the ringside scorer scored that 10-9 for lopez because he thought salido won the round, how does that work? If he thought salido won wouldnt it be a 9-9 round?
daprofessor
QUOTE (Franchize @ Mar 11 2012, 01:09 AM) *

great post and sums up how i feel about it myself.
Cshel86
QUOTE (Jack 1000 @ Mar 11 2012, 08:46 PM) *
I had it 6-3 for Salido. Did count the 5th round as a 10-8 for Lopez, just barely. So Salido ahead 86-84. I could see the first round going to Lopez or being even, but most judges don't like even rounds, so the 85-85 is pushing it The other two cards that had it close but for Lopez, was some home cooking there. I don't want to see a third fight. Salido has his number. However, he's got that journeymen type record, even though he is a damn good fighter, Salido is probably gonna have to KO or TKO guys because judges are not going to give a fighter breaks in close rounds with those losses against him.

I dont think judges like even rounds either. They have a hard time scoring easy rounds anyway, hence the terrible score cards in this fight and the Campillo fight. Those home cooked cards were delusional from jump. Seriously, how many times has Juanma gone the distance? And when he has...what usually happens?

He usually pulls that Khan/Maidana shit at the end, and almost completely lose control of the lead that he's built over the course of the fight. So again, when I say those home cooked cards were delusional from jump, they were foolish enough to think that Juanma was gonna go the distance after being hit with those same punches from the first fight.

QUOTE (checkleft @ Mar 12 2012, 01:35 AM) *
I believe the ringside scorer scored that 10-9 for lopez because he thought salido won the round, how does that work? If he thought salido won wouldnt it be a 9-9 round?

I was confused as well, that's why I thank Salido for taking that math problem off of our hands. I lost count on how many brewskies I had, so there's no way in hell I was able to sit down and figure out how to score those last few rounds.
Franchize
I hope I didn't kill anyone's buzz with my recap/opinion of the fight.

One thing I will say. Lopez went from promising star in the making to Paul Williams (getting hit with the same looping punch over and over) in one fight. Salido must be Lara's play cousin (black folks know what I mean by play cousin lol)
wolterb
QUOTE (MaxPayne @ Mar 11 2012, 12:59 AM) *
Those scorecards are beyond disgraceful. What the fuck kind of shit are they smoking?

that dank patriot purp lol

one round I gave to Lopez. that was the knockdown. I was surprised Lopez made it as long as he did. his chin was getting bounced around as early as the second round. it just seemed like Lopez couldn't get his body out of fear mode. none of his punches had that zing we've seen in his past.

Salido saved us and himself from a robbery. I hope Lamont Peterson can do the same
glennhallet
After watching three less than stellar fights on Showtime Saturday night, we were treated to an action packed main event between Orlando Salido and Juan Manuel Lopez.

Salido was out to prove that his 8th round TKO victory over Lopez last April was no fluke. Mission accomplished.

The good: Fans were able to witness a highly entertaining slugfest that featured both men hurt during the fight. During one point late in round 5 Salido was domininating the action

Continue reading on Examiner.com Salido-Lopez showcase the good and bad in boxing - Norfolk Boxing | Examiner.com http://www.examiner.com/boxing-in-norfolk/...g#ixzz1owqj7x00
BigFightFan
I agree with that article 100% there was no controversy with that stoppage. That fight reminds me of cotto vs marg 1
Franchize
Word is Lopez got suspended a year for his rant at the end of the fight. I think that's ridiculous, especially when Antonio "Resto" Magarito is still fighting.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.