Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: A "Maravilla" and "Special" Weekend of Boxing
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
Cheesey1
Boxing's dead...NOT!

There's a lot of stuff going on this weekend and I'm probably missing stuff that's on undercards, or channels like Telefutura etc. over here and other good matches in Europe. Okay, let's get to it:

Friday:
FNF - Kendall Holt vs. Tim Coleman @ 147lbs - I'm really looking forward to this one. As everyone knows, the light ww/ ww division(s) are arguably the best in boxing. Kendall Holt is a former champion at lt. ww and Tim Coleman is a promising boxer, who lost in a very good effort against Vernon Paris (body shots are a MF'er). I think that they're both moving up for this match, or recently moved up from 140 to 147. At least espn shows good matches and has Teddy Atlas to make up for the rest of their inept boxing setup.
I'm picking Coleman.

FNF - the undercard is Abraham Lopez vs. Gabriel Tolmajyan @ 126lbs - I don't recall seeing either of these guys before, but possibly more mayhem with a couple of small guys throwing many, many punches with mean intentions

Shobox - Randy Caballero vs. Jose Araiza @ 122lbs (?) - pleading the fifth here. I don't really follow the lower weight classes like that and didn't take the time to do any research on these guys.
Shobox - Omar Figueroa vs. Ramon Ayala - 135lbs - also pleading the fifth, but at least these guys are 135lb'ers.

Saturday:
Sky Sports (if you can get it) -around 4, or 5pm EST over here - Kell "the Special One" Brook vs. Matthew "Magic" Hatton @ 147lbs. Kell Brook, formerly known as "Special K", before the Kellogg's people sent him a friendly note, is definitely one of my top boxers. Matthew Hatton is arguably his best opponent to date and if Kell looks good against him, then I'm sure that we'll be seeing a lot more of this latest "special one" (shout out to Jose Mourinho). I'm picking Kell to win nicely, clear UD, or maybe a late TKO/ KO. Brook has rightfully said that he isn't overlooking Hatton.

HBO - Sergio "Maravilla" Martinez vs. Matthew "Mack the Knife" Macklin @ 160lbs - Martinez is the top dog going into this and I agree. Even though the reports from sparring are apparently a bit worrying, I expect Martinez to show why he's so highly regarded by many people. On the other hand, Macklin's much younger than Martinez, has the ring experience and might posses enough power and solid technique to dethrone Maravilla. Lace 'em up!

HBO - Edwin Rodriguez vs. Donovan George @ 168lbs - they're in a great division and have only one loss between them (George). This looks like yet another solid match.

As mentioned in the title, there will be a separate live thread for the HBO action when it starts on Saturday. Thanks.
Cshel86
Im waiting to see if Kendall Holt hasn't completely ruined his career, since he's delusionally fixated on shedding weight in a shitty manner so close to fights. Im leaving my predictions of the Hatton/Brooke fight in the air, and I promise to not do an Emmanuel Steward when the tides of the fight turn laugh.gif
daprofessor
saw caballero in his pro debut against a kid with way more experience. he starched him! very good fighter trained by the diaz brothers who is definitely someone to keep an eye on.

edwin rodriguez should have a loss too! he got a gift decision against a dude named rosinsky. that was a great fight! this one should be good too.

Cheesey1
QUOTE (daprofessor @ Mar 13 2012, 08:59 PM) *
saw caballero in his pro debut against a kid with way more experience. he starched him! very good fighter trained by the diaz brothers who is definitely someone to keep an eye on.

edwin rodriguez should have a loss too! he got a gift decision against a dude named rosinsky. that was a great fight! this one should be good too.

Cool. Thanks for the insight.
Cheesey1
QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Mar 13 2012, 07:18 PM) *
Im waiting to see if Kendall Holt hasn't completely ruined his career, since he's delusionally fixated on shedding weight in a shitty manner so close to fights. Im leaving my predictions of the Hatton/Brooke fight in the air, and I promise to not do an Emmanuel Steward when the tides of the fight turn laugh.gif

Ha!
Cshel86
QUOTE (Cheesey1 @ Mar 14 2012, 11:51 AM) *
Ha!

LOL! Seriously, this dude calls himself trying to shed 7 lbs the day before the weigh-in because he feels it makes him "stronger". That's like a vegetarian saying that bologna is actually good for the body dntknw.gif
checkleft
Tim Colemans last fight was fire. Im really looking forward to that and the Martinez fight. I also like the way brook has looked, really interesting to see how he looks against a good fighter like hatton
Cheesey1
QUOTE (checkleft @ Mar 14 2012, 02:26 PM) *
Tim Colemans last fight was fire. Im really looking forward to that and the Martinez fight. I also like the way brook has looked, really interesting to see how he looks against a good fighter like hatton

Yup and they're definitely talking a good game.
Cheesey1
QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Mar 14 2012, 11:55 AM) *
LOL! Seriously, this dude calls himself trying to shed 7 lbs the day before the weigh-in because he feels it makes him "stronger". That's like a vegetarian saying that bologna is actually good for the body dntknw.gif

What? Losing 7lbs makes him stronger...bizarre.

Friday's almost here already, nice! The week flew by.
daprofessor
does anyone think macklin has a shot at beating martinez? i know sergio doesn't seem too focused on him with all the talk about mayweather and chavez. he better focus on the task at hand. i've never seen macklin fight before.
Cheesey1
QUOTE (daprofessor @ Mar 16 2012, 07:08 PM) *
does anyone think macklin has a shot at beating martinez? i know sergio doesn't seem too focused on him with all the talk about mayweather and chavez. he better focus on the task at hand. i've never seen macklin fight before.

Does he have a shot, why not? He's seven years (or is it 5) younger than Martinez, supposedly got robbed against Felix Sturm and Martinez also supposedly has been looking sub par in training, as well as being tested by Barker.
I'm still picking Maravilla though. Bryan Vera's comments in the Fight Hype article were pretty accurate (IMO).
Cheesey1
ShoBox in 11 mins. Hopefully it's not "weird" interesting like the Coleman punk out/ melt down.
Cheesey1
Okay, two dangerous pygmies ready to beat the shit out of each other!!!
Cheesey1
Caballero, word to the wise, the eyebrow thing isn't a good look...

Cheesey1
Caballero, as the commentators said is looking much better than the old, apparent, sacrificial lamb.
Cheesey1
Caballero, so far clearly in charge.
Cheesey1
The old man might be able to catch Caballero with something, but I doubt it.
Cheesey1
Caballero's obviously faster and putting his punches together enough, while trying not to take too many risks.
Cheesey1
So far, going according to plan for Caballero.
Cheesey1
I'm guessing that Araiza, apart from hoping for the counter, is trying to take Caballero into, as Teddy Atlas would say, deep waters in the later rounds.

Cheesey1
Caballero should be able to pull off the TKO in a few rounds.
Cheesey1
If this goes on to the later rounds, then maybe Araiza will be stronger than Caballero? Anyway, he's obviously eating jabs and some 1-2s.
Cheesey1
Close round. Maybe the geezer won that round.
Cheesey1
Nice left by Father Time.
Cheesey1
This time a nice right by Father Time.
Cheesey1
Looks like Araiza's tougher than Caballero, but Caballero could have gotten the TKO.

Credit to Araiza for the last few rounds. Basics and toughness.
Cheesey1
Very nice 9th round. Uh oh, is the old man trying to KO Caballero? Don't see it happening, but Araiza's trying.
Cheesey1
Nice attempt by Araiza, but Caballero did enough to clearly win.
Cheesey1
Okay, let's see what these lightweights are about, especially this Omar Figueroa kid.
Cheesey1
Figueroa looked like the "baby faced assassin" in that round.
Cheesey1
Ayala's having a decent round.
Cheesey1
Not so much anymore.

Baby faced assassin for real.

The Little Panther, good nickname.
Cheesey1
Looks like Brook/Hatton won't be starting for at least an hour, maybe a bit more.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.