Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Alexander at 147...If he Cant Get the Berto/Ortiz Winner...
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
Cshel86
As we all know, Devon just came off an impressive performance against a name fighter, and he's awaiting the winner of Berto/Ortiz. Im not sure the winner of that fight will be looking in Devon's direction so soon, especially since it's their second fight.

The common decision for the winner of that fight would be to look in the direction of the 1A and 1B fighters in the world right now, and we know who they are. This would leave Devon with a decision to make a fight that would compliment his recent win over Maidana.

Who do you pick? Why? Fight Predictions?
p4pcrown
Id like to see him fight either Khan or Guerrero...We've all seen what Khan can do but Guerrero's credibility has yet to be seen. Id like to see Guerrero against a solid fighter like Alelxander. Both him and Khan would make good opponents for Alexander at 147 in my opinion.
mgrover
khans out of the picture till he fights peterson, am pretty sure he could have another fight were he looks good, maybe fight mike jones? but hes top wank so i doubt it.
BigFightFan
Devon has a lot of choices although I would like to see him rematch Bradley at 147 after he gets ko'd by manny. I choose khan because Devon only want fights with big names who can bring money to the table and get him to a fight with Floyd or PAC. If all else fails I would to see him pound on maillinaggi since they had a war of words.
bnoles4life
Hmmm....not sure. He has some possibilities. He runs a risk w/ ANY of the aforementioned fighters. I mean Paulie, as feather-fisted as he may be, can make fighters look bad...REAL bad. He has a good chin and KO'n him, is pretty much out the window.

Peterson: Not a good match-up, IMO. Lamont is loooooong and durable. He'll press the hell out of Devon w/ movement, unlike Maidana who couldn't get out of the way of a punch he was notified about, a day earlier. Oh yeah, Lamont isn't a "soft" fighter. So, if he had problems w/ Bradley and didn't truly learn from it, he's gonna not like this fight, either.

Matthyse: STAY THE HELL AWAY FROM THIS DUDE. PERIOD.

Guerrero: Interesting fight....would give us fans, who haven't seen much, if at all, a chance to see what all of this "Ghost" talk is about. Plus, it would give Devon a GREAT opportunity, after a win, to say: "I ain't 'fraid of no ghost!"

Brook: Depends. What does this do for Devon, a former titleholder? Personally, if he beats an up and comer, all he did was expose someone who was "hype" or wasn't "ready". However, should he lose, he loses to a guy who's still relatively "green", while lowering your stock in the process. Not sure what he gains from this fight.

Khan: I think this is the fight he should make....but I doubt it happens, due to the Peterson fight. Should Khan win, he's NOT fighting Devon, mainly b/c he'll be shouting down Mayweather, from outside the prison fences. Should he lose, why would Devon fight a guy coming off a loss (that's NOT Pac or May), after coming off a win?

I say Guerrero....two southies, therefore, no advantage, forcing one, if not both to shine w/ the dangling carrot of a BIG fight on the horizon.
Cshel86
Good analysis Noles! I see you and p4pcrown have the same outlook, in regards to a Guerrero fight. I ALMOST picked Guerrero, but I leaned more towards Peterson.

Khan: If he puts on a decent performance against Lamont and slithers his way to a victory, then a rubber match will follow somewhere down the line (if the rematch suddenly becomes epic). Anytime guys have decent trilogies, win or lose (if they dont lose too bad), then the world tends to give them a second chance.

Matthysse: I agree, Devon should suddenly become blind and senile when this dude's name comes up, period.

Guerrero: I would like to see this one, but again, I dont feel like Guerrero deserves any fight past 140 due to his pissing and moaning and trying to jump from A to Z. When he has a couple of fights at 140, then I'd give him the nod for a WW fight.

Brooke: I had to throw an international fighter in there, since it's been a while for Devon. It would've been a good fight, had he taken it before the Maidana fight. Now, it doesn't really make much sense, unless Devon wants to go overseas and make some money.

Bradley: I actually would like to see this one, simply because of how the first one ended, and my constant losing battles with curiosity. I can see Bradley now, "I just fought the #1 fighter in the world, so Devon doesn't deserve to fight me". Funny how he wouldn't say such a thing back in the day, especially when he needed an Alexander fight to catapult him to the top of the division. It's safe to say that he doesn't have a clue as to how he landed a Pacquiao fight...suddenly the word "default" crosses my mind.

Peterson: This would be somewhat of a make or break fight for Devon. This is the one that I picked too. Another pressure fighter that will give Devon a great test. Since he didn't look great due to the weight at 140 (since he's cleaned that up), I think he has a better chance at 47 against a pressure fighter. Peterson will definitely push Devon, and we a viewers will know if Devon has the defense that everybody says he has.

Malignaggi: This dude is no punk, and as it's been mentioned, he still has the ability to make a fighter look like crap with his head movement, footwork, and above average boxing skills.
Franchize
I think the best fight would be Peterson. Quite frankly,I think Khan, Bradley and Matthysse would beat him easy. I also think he'd have more problems than ppl think with Paulie.
Cshel86
QUOTE (Franchize @ Mar 14 2012, 11:17 AM) *
I also think he'd have more problems than ppl think with Paulie.

Exactly!
bnoles4life
QUOTE (Franchize @ Mar 14 2012, 11:17 AM) *
I think the best fight would be Peterson. Quite frankly,I think Khan, Bradley and Matthysse would beat him easy. I also think he'd have more problems than ppl think with Paulie.

I don't know. If it's true he was having problems making 40, then I'd give him the benefit of the doubt at 47. Personally, I like his chances against Bradley than Matthyse. Bradley, though skilled, his claim to fame is that noggin' and decent technical skills. I think Devon, if his stamina is what it's supposed to be, can beat Bradley by boxing him and sitting on his punches to the body...NOT the head.

To be honestly, I like his chances against Khan better than anyone. Khan uses his height EARLY and forgets it late. If Devon can get into Khan's "2nd wind", he has more than a REAL chance to beat Khan. Remember, aside from the Judah debacle, Khan isn't really KO'n anyone at 47. I think Devon's straight left can be problematic for the always (at least until he gets tired) moving Khan. Remember, one of the things that makes southies tough to orthodox fighters is the way orthodox fighters have to circle. Meaning, he'll likely circle to his left, making it difficult for him to throw the most effective punch against a southie (straight right down the middle). We all know, Khan moving backwards..hell, moving at all, isn't a good look.

Matthyse, IMO, is just a tough nut to crack. I think he'd always give Devon trouble. The only thing we need to know is if the add'l 7 lbs would affect him, a la Maidana. If it doesn't or Heaven forbid, makes him stronger; WATCH OUT. Like CShel said, "become blind and senile" when dude's name is brought up. Most importantly, don't let Kevin Cunningham, shit talk him into that fight. Devon needs to remember, that ass whippin' may have Kevin's name on it, but it will be delivered to him!
Cheesey1
Everybody's got good/great points, but I'm going to say if his trainer thinks that he's ready for whomever, then I'm agreeing with his trainer. I think that Devon can continue to improve and the only way to really measure that is to get in the ring with proper competition.
I like Matthyse and have always felt that he's better than Maidana, but I like Devon's chances against him in a rematch.

Re. who he should fight next, I picked Guerrero, just so that we can see what Guerrero's really all about.
checkleft
I would love to see him fight brook. Paulie is 140, matthysse is 140 too. Lamont would be a good fight but he's 140 too. I can't see Khan being effective at 147 and have yet to see if guerrero can be too. And I guess depending on the aydin guerrero outcomes he could fight aydin. But to me the top opponents I would like to see him against would be aydin berto ortiz and brook. To me he still has to prove himself he always looks good against the come forward slow slugging fighters like maidana and urango. And brook has to prove himself also. I think that would be a good match up
Cshel86
QUOTE (checkleft @ Mar 14 2012, 02:19 PM) *
Paulie is 140

Paulie is actually at WW, and he's been there for almost a year now. He fought Jose Cotto on the Morales/Maidana undercard, and he fought a Mexican guy (cant remember his name) on the Dawson/Hopkins undercard.
checkleft
Really? I can't see him being much of a challenge at that weight
Cshel86
QUOTE (checkleft @ Mar 14 2012, 02:29 PM) *
Really? I can't see him being much of a challenge at that weight

He still has his speed, his reflexes have slowed down just a bit, and he's never had much power....so yeah, he's pretty much the same Paulie. He looked pretty good against J. Cotto, and fairly decent against the Mexican guy (because he got hurt in the first round I believe).
BoxingEinstein

Alexander should fight Ortiz or The Ghost. Those are his most plausible options.
checkleft
Ortiz would likely ko him. I think ortiz is kind of under rated, he drew against a good fighter in lamont (a fight where I thought he got robbed) who in his own right is a B+ maybe -A fighter. Alexander can't adjust to decent boxers with some pop (kotelnik Bradley matthysse). And ortiz doesn't have pop he has bombs, and he is probably just as fast as Bradley. But Alexander seems to have a decent chin so it would be interesting
Cshel86
QUOTE (checkleft @ Mar 15 2012, 01:54 AM) *
Ortiz would likely ko him. I think ortiz is kind of under rated, he drew against a good fighter in lamont (a fight where I thought he got robbed) who in his own right is a B+ maybe -A fighter. Alexander can't adjust to decent boxers with some pop (kotelnik Bradley matthysse). And ortiz doesn't have pop he has bombs, and he is probably just as fast as Bradley. But Alexander seems to have a decent chin so it would be interesting

I agree! Ortiz can and will KO/hurt Alexander if that's the last thing he does. Devon can take punch (as he's made obvious), but the size of Ortiz along with that leaping/pouncing style he has, will give Devon trouble.

You're right, Alexander has problem adjusting to boxers with pop...well, I only agreed with the Kotelnik fight, but Bradley on the other hand, was simply bullying him on the inside and beating him to the punch.

Oh yeah...hell yeah Ortiz is faster than Bradley, and we saw that in the Mayweather fight. Ortiz was faster than I ever saw him, but he ends up getting stuck in the same position after he throws, unlike Bradley who resets a lot quicker than him.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.