Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Gamboa...
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
BoxingEinstein
Although I understand Gamboa's situation and having a dispute with BobFather Arum but he should have known that The BobFather would pull some "catch" on either his contracts, money, deals, and fights. Look at Pacquiao, Clottey, DelaHoya and what happened to Mayweather. Gamboa had to know somewhat of what he was getting into and there were reports in the past that Gamboa wasn't so fond of his past deals with Top Rank in his fights. To pull this bullshit on his fans and hardcore boxing fans is nothing short than disrespectful. He should have outlined the clear deal he wanted to The BobFather instead of calling out Rios and asking for one of the press conferences to be put in his hometown then look at the deal and not decide to show up.

I like Gamboa as a fighter and he is extraordinarily talented and a athletic specimen but I'm tired of fighters bitching about their deals when they should get their own lawyers who can read them the fine print of deals and contracts instead of putting everything to their promoter or manager. You can't trust neither promoter or manager when it comes to the sport of boxing. Gamboa's ignorance and attitude of not researching costed the boxing fans a fight that many wanted to see and would have paid good hard earned money for.

With that said, fuck Gamboa and give us Rios-Marquez or DeMarco-Rios.
BoxingFan86
QUOTE (BoxingEinstein @ Mar 14 2012, 05:10 PM) *
Although I understand Gamboa's situation and having a dispute with BobFather Arum but he should have known that The BobFather would pull some "catch" on either his contracts, money, deals, and fights. Look at Pacquiao, Clottey, DelaHoya and what happened to Mayweather. Gamboa had to know somewhat of what he was getting into and there were reports in the past that Gamboa wasn't so fond of his past deals with Top Rank in his fights. To pull this bullshit on his fans and hardcore boxing fans is nothing short than disrespectful. He should have outlined the clear deal he wanted to The BobFather instead of calling out Rios and asking for one of the press conferences to be put in his hometown then look at the deal and not decide to show up.

I like Gamboa as a fighter and he is extraordinarily talented and a athletic specimen but I'm tired of fighters bitching about their deals when they should get their own lawyers who can read them the fine print of deals and contracts instead of putting everything to their promoter or manager. You can't trust neither promoter or manager when it comes to the sport of boxing. Gamboa's ignorance and attitude of not researching costed the boxing fans a fight that many wanted to see and would have paid good hard earned money for.

I don't think that fight is likely to happen.
BoxingEinstein
QUOTE (BoxingFan86 @ Mar 14 2012, 07:11 PM) *
I don't think that fight is likely to happen.

Why not? Arum can get Marquez for another great payday against one of the rising stars and knockout artist in boxing today. Marquez even was interested in a fight against Rios at onetime and it be made easily. Marquez is fighting the softest puncher in lightweight history; against a guy with only 1 KO out of 40 wins. Easy victory and he can fight Rios at Mandalay Bay.
Cshel86
Honestly, I NEVER believed this fight was going to happen anyway. It's been a while since a weight class mismatch has gone actually happened. I hardly much buzz about this fight other than hardcore fans (that want to see it), and the recent smoke and mirrors that fell through after Gamboa failed to attend the pressers.

I honestly dont feel bad for Gamboa and his contractual issues, because he signed the contract with TR, so hopefully his manager or whoever read it before he signed it. Now Arum is gonna have fun with his little scawny ass, and he damn sure doesn't have enough money to dance with the devil, so let's say goodbye to Yuri in the meantime.

As I've been saying over the past few weeks, if Arum had to choose between Gamboa and Rios...the choice wouldn't be hard. Gamboa hasn't made it hard for him, he actually gave him a jump start in kicking him to the wind...
flazi
i don't think Gamboa wanted this fight. I would love to hear more from his side but it seems to me that Arum is being Arum and tried to force a fight contract down Gamboa's throat and he rejected it. oh and another thing, this fight doesn't benefit Gamboa. He is way too small. Rios shouldn't even be fighting someone that small.
Cshel86
QUOTE (BoxingEinstein @ Mar 14 2012, 09:01 PM) *
Why not? Arum can get Marquez for another great payday against one of the rising stars and knockout artist in boxing today.

Shiiiiit, why would Arum be dumb enough to do that? Marquez is one foot out of the door, and dangerous as shit for Rios and for most remaining fighters even at this point of his career.

Rios is one of Arum's next cash cows, and he has a decent following. No need for him to put his cash cow in hot water against an old dangerous JMM.
Slumpage
QUOTE (BoxingEinstein @ Mar 14 2012, 05:10 PM) *

Without knowing the full details, its a bit difficult to comment. However from reading the various articles I think I can see what's going on here... We've heard about Arum pulling this kind of stunt before with Pavlik etc. Top Rank aren't saying that Gamboa's signed any contract, all i've heard/read is that they got an email from Team Gamboa agreeing to the fight in principle, and according to Ben's latest article he apparently accepted a $70k advance on the fight. Now it is not inconcievable to think that the terms Gamboa agreed to in principle didn't turn up on the final contract as he expected. I've read Arum had included a 5 yr promotional contract extension on the fight contract, which effectively gives him control over Gamboa till he's retired, dude's already 30yrs old right? That one detail alone would make me not wanna sign the fight contract. Now obviously Gamboa has tried to talk to Arum/Top Rank in regards to his displeasure with the fight contract sent to him. Instead of negotiating anything with Gamboa, Top Rank just pressed ahead with the promotion, basically trying to force Gamboa to sign a contract that contains terms he is unwilling to agree to. To me that looks a lot like bullying, So Gamby dug his heels in... Considering the fight contract hasn't been signed, I fail to see how Arum can even sue the dude. If the email agreement was binding, why the need for a fight contract? Appears like the agreement was contingent on terms being agreed and contracts being signed. I don't see how Gamboa can be blamed for what looks to me like some shady shit by TR. Yeah he called for the fight, then agreed with his promoter to the fight in principle, accepts an advance, then his promter sent him a contract for the fight he was unhappy with. He has a right to not sign a contract if he's unhappy with it, I highly doubt his Top Rank promtional contract states he HAS to sign any fight contract presented to him by TR. So Yuri takes up his complaint with his promoter, who decides to ignore Yuri's complaints, and press ahead with promoting the fight. Surely if Arum has spent cash and made various deals with HBO, sponsors etc, the onus is on him the promoter to secure the fighters he has promised to these entities. By causing a dispute with one of the fighters by refusing to negotiate terms included on the unsigned fight contract, wouldn't Top Rank be considered "in the wrong"? I dunno man, without further details its hard to really know what's going on or who's right/wrong. I mean if Gamboa accepted an advance, didn't Arum get him to sign anything pertaining to his purse from the fight, if so then why would Gamboa be now unhappy with the amount contained in the fight contract. He's expressed unhappiness with his TR deals before, but he still went and did the fight, so its not like he's ever reneged on a contract he doesn't like before. However this time he has, suggesting to me at least that he obviously feels like he has SOME legal argument.

Oh, and as for Gamboa not being "on point" with his business.. Lets not forget that he is relatively new to the Pro game, and has had to learn shit other fighters learn in the early years in regards to the business side of things. Also when he first escaped Cuba he was in Germany being looked after by this Oner dude, who basically funded Gamboa's "new" life till he started fighting and paying off that "debt". It was this guy whom Gamboa trusted that decided to sign Gamboa with Top Rank, to Gamboa's inexperienced eyes, signing with Top Rank made perfect sense, its only now he knows about the BS involved with them. This explains why Gamboa included Oner in his comments about being unhappy with his promoters.

Lastly, Gamboa may have been in Floyd's gym, but he quite clearly stated that he was just there to train for the Rios fight as it was in Vegas. When questioned about signing with Mayweather promotions, he denied that flat out. His no show at the press conf was due to TR being unwilling to negotiate terms included on the fight contract sent to him. If they had been willing to do that, Yuri would've shown up. Yet all i'm reading is how Gamboa's a douche for not showing up... Personally if I was him, I would've shown up, then used that stage to announce my displeasure with the contract, that i have yet to sign it and if its not resolved then there's no fight. But that's me...

Bottomline, I see folk are pissed about this fight not happening, but I'm still blaming Arum till I see proof that Gamboa signed and agreed to the terms, THEN changed his mind. Up till now, all i've heard is he asked for the fight, agreed to the fight, got sent a poor contract and refused to sign it, asked for it to be changed, got refused. You can say its late in the day, but it seems like TR made it that way imo... This practice of signing fight contracts late in the day makes it so that promoters can build up an event, gauge the estimated revenue THEN send out contracts for what the fighters are gonna make... All well and good, till you have a fighter refuse to sign the paperwork you present. If that's because of a disagreement with the promter and the fighter, well then the onus should be on the promter to at least TRY and sort that out. Instead they just hold the press conference, call Yuri a diva then stage a brawl between Rios and some next randon Cuban guy called Abril... dntknw.gif
BoxingStill#1
QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Mar 14 2012, 08:04 PM) *
Honestly, I NEVER believed this fight was going to happen anyway. It's been a while since a weight class mismatch has gone actually happened. I hardly much buzz about this fight other than hardcore fans (that want to see it), and the recent smoke and mirrors that fell through after Gamboa failed to attend the pressers.

I honestly dont feel bad for Gamboa and his contractual issues, because he signed the contract with TR, so hopefully his manager or whoever read it before he signed it. Now Arum is gonna have fun with his little scawny ass, and he damn sure doesn't have enough money to dance with the devil, so let's say goodbye to Yuri in the meantime.

As I've been saying over the past few weeks, if Arum had to choose between Gamboa and Rios...the choice wouldn't be hard. Gamboa hasn't made it hard for him, he actually gave him a jump start in kicking him to the wind...

I completely agree..

Even though the fight was announced I still had a funny feeling about it..

In defense of Yuri's dumb ass, atleast he has the guts to stand up for himself within his contractual agreement.

(We can probably credit that to him working out in Mayweather's gym)
Thickback
Typical Top Rank BS. How can you say fuck you to Gamboa without knowing the full story. TR has a history of issues with their fighters so how can you look at one side of this? If Gamboa breached his contract, then he deserves the consequences, but for TR to base their law suit on rival promotional companies advising him to breach his contract is plain petty. What proof do they have of such claims? We saw Timothy Bradley pull out of the Khan fight for seemingly the same reason. He was publicly prosecuted but now his move is oaying off. Maybe Gamboa is of the same mindframe Bradley was last year.
Slumpage
QUOTE (Thickback @ Mar 15 2012, 07:20 AM) *
Typical Top Rank BS. How can you say fuck you to Gamboa without knowing the full story. TR has a history of issues with their fighters so how can you look at one side of this? If Gamboa breached his contract, then he deserves the consequences, but for TR to base their law suit on rival promotional companies advising him to breach his contract is plain petty. What proof do they have of such claims? We saw Timothy Bradley pull out of the Khan fight for seemingly the same reason. He was publicly prosecuted but now his move is oaying off. Maybe Gamboa is of the same mindframe Bradley was last year.

For real... Didn't consider that actually. I mean Arum wants to bitch about rivals trying to "poach" his fighters, then what exactly does he think he did to Gary Shaw in regards to Timmy?
pesticid
QUOTE (Slumpage @ Mar 15 2012, 06:40 AM) *
Without knowing the full details, its a bit difficult to comment. However from reading the various articles I think I can see what's going on here... We've heard about Arum pulling this kind of stunt before with Pavlik etc. Top Rank aren't saying that Gamboa's signed any contract, all i've heard/read is that they got an email from Team Gamboa agreeing to the fight in principle, and according to Ben's latest article he apparently accepted a $70k advance on the fight. Now it is not inconcievable to think that the terms Gamboa agreed to in principle didn't turn up on the final contract as he expected. I've read Arum had included a 5 yr promotional contract extension on the fight contract, which effectively gives him control over Gamboa till he's retired, dude's already 30yrs old right? That one detail alone would make me not wanna sign the fight contract. Now obviously Gamboa has tried to talk to Arum/Top Rank in regards to his displeasure with the fight contract sent to him. Instead of negotiating anything with Gamboa, Top Rank just pressed ahead with the promotion, basically trying to force Gamboa to sign a contract that contains terms he is unwilling to agree to. To me that looks a lot like bullying, So Gamby dug his heels in... Considering the fight contract hasn't been signed, I fail to see how Arum can even sue the dude. If the email agreement was binding, why the need for a fight contract? Appears like the agreement was contingent on terms being agreed and contracts being signed. I don't see how Gamboa can be blamed for what looks to me like some shady shit by TR. Yeah he called for the fight, then agreed with his promoter to the fight in principle, accepts an advance, then his promter sent him a contract for the fight he was unhappy with. He has a right to not sign a contract if he's unhappy with it, I highly doubt his Top Rank promtional contract states he HAS to sign any fight contract presented to him by TR. So Yuri takes up his complaint with his promoter, who decides to ignore Yuri's complaints, and press ahead with promoting the fight. Surely if Arum has spent cash and made various deals with HBO, sponsors etc, the onus is on him the promoter to secure the fighters he has promised to these entities. By causing a dispute with one of the fighters by refusing to negotiate terms included on the unsigned fight contract, wouldn't Top Rank be considered "in the wrong"? I dunno man, without further details its hard to really know what's going on or who's right/wrong. I mean if Gamboa accepted an advance, didn't Arum get him to sign anything pertaining to his purse from the fight, if so then why would Gamboa be now unhappy with the amount contained in the fight contract. He's expressed unhappiness with his TR deals before, but he still went and did the fight, so its not like he's ever reneged on a contract he doesn't like before. However this time he has, suggesting to me at least that he obviously feels like he has SOME legal argument.

Oh, and as for Gamboa not being "on point" with his business.. Lets not forget that he is relatively new to the Pro game, and has had to learn shit other fighters learn in the early years in regards to the business side of things. Also when he first escaped Cuba he was in Germany being looked after by this Oner dude, who basically funded Gamboa's "new" life till he started fighting and paying off that "debt". It was this guy whom Gamboa trusted that decided to sign Gamboa with Top Rank, to Gamboa's inexperienced eyes, signing with Top Rank made perfect sense, its only now he knows about the BS involved with them. This explains why Gamboa included Oner in his comments about being unhappy with his promoters.

Lastly, Gamboa may have been in Floyd's gym, but he quite clearly stated that he was just there to train for the Rios fight as it was in Vegas. When questioned about signing with Mayweather promotions, he denied that flat out. His no show at the press conf was due to TR being unwilling to negotiate terms included on the fight contract sent to him. If they had been willing to do that, Yuri would've shown up. Yet all i'm reading is how Gamboa's a douche for not showing up... Personally if I was him, I would've shown up, then used that stage to announce my displeasure with the contract, that i have yet to sign it and if its not resolved then there's no fight. But that's me...

Bottomline, I see folk are pissed about this fight not happening, but I'm still blaming Arum till I see proof that Gamboa signed and agreed to the terms, THEN changed his mind. Up till now, all i've heard is he asked for the fight, agreed to the fight, got sent a poor contract and refused to sign it, asked for it to be changed, got refused. You can say its late in the day, but it seems like TR made it that way imo... This practice of signing fight contracts late in the day makes it so that promoters can build up an event, gauge the estimated revenue THEN send out contracts for what the fighters are gonna make... All well and good, till you have a fighter refuse to sign the paperwork you present. If that's because of a disagreement with the promter and the fighter, well then the onus should be on the promter to at least TRY and sort that out. Instead they just hold the press conference, call Yuri a diva then stage a brawl between Rios and some next randon Cuban guy called Abril... dntknw.gif

Amen brother!

I can't add anything more to it. You summarized everything perfectly.
Cshel86
QUOTE (Slumpage @ Mar 15 2012, 07:40 AM) *
I mean if Gamboa accepted an advance, didn't Arum get him to sign anything pertaining to his purse from the fight, if so then why would Gamboa be now unhappy with the amount contained in the fight contract.

Slumpage, you wrote a lot of stuff, but this part stuck out. The fact that Gamboa has taken an advance is very telling, because as we all know, people dont advances unless they need the money. Not only should he be unhappy with the contract details of this fight, he should be unhappy with himself for managing his money in the manner that he does.

We all wonder why Manny will NEVER leave TR, because this guy has taken several advances from Bob, Im talking millions...especially to support his political venture. So I laughed my ass off at the fact that he said this was going to be his last fight. Of course we saw that story change quickly.

Bottom line is, Yuri's not getting any younger, he still hasn't had a breakout fight in his career, and he's staring litigation in the face. Again, he doesn't have what it takes to dance with the devil (Arum). The same way Arum built him up, he will tear him down twice as fast, and make sure that he doesn't have a pot to piss in.

Oh yeah, for everybody that's saying that they're happy that Gamboa stood up for himself...please! He damn sure picked the picture perfect time to do so...while under contract. Now, had this been his last fight under the TR banner, then he should've taken it, and THEN expressed his displeasure AFTERWARDS, when talks of renewing the contract came up.

Let's wave goodbye to the Cuban fighting machine with no following, while he gets thrown off the TR boat. Rios is Arum's next product, and he actually has a following. If Gamboa did anything in this situation, he only made it easier for Arum to fuck him and put him back on the streets with nothing.

QUOTE (BoxingStill#1 @ Mar 15 2012, 07:42 AM) *
Even though the fight was announced I still had a funny feeling about it..

+2

It was too good to be true laugh.gif

QUOTE (Thickback @ Mar 15 2012, 08:20 AM) *
We saw Timothy Bradley pull out of the Khan fight for seemingly the same reason. He was publicly prosecuted but now his move is oaying off. Maybe Gamboa is of the same mindframe Bradley was last year.

The difference is, Bradley didn't sign anything for a Khan fight (that I know of), he simply refused to take the fight. We see how long his litigation lasted...very brief. Though Yuri denied any talks of signing with Mayweather Promotions, Bradley did the same thing when asked about possibly signing with Top Rank.

You're right though, Gamboa is in the same mind frame as Bradley was last year, but the difference is, Timmy had his ducks in a row when he fled. Gamboa is simply going off of emotion and impulses right now. I wish him luck though...
Slumpage
QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Mar 15 2012, 09:52 AM) *
Slumpage, you wrote a lot of stuff, but this part stuck out. The fact that Gamboa has taken an advance is very telling, because as we all know, people dont advances unless they need the money. Not only should he be unhappy with the contract details of this fight, he should be unhappy with himself for managing his money in the manner that he does.

We all wonder why Manny will NEVER leave TR, because this guy has taken several advances from Bob, Im talking millions...especially to support his political venture. So I laughed my ass off at the fact that he said this was going to be his last fight. Of course we saw that story change quickly.

Bottom line is, Yuri's not getting any younger, he still hasn't had a breakout fight in his career, and he's staring litigation in the face. Again, he doesn't have what it takes to dance with the devil (Arum). The same way Arum built him up, he will tear him down twice as fast, and make sure that he doesn't have a pot to piss in.

Oh yeah, for everybody that's saying that they're happy that Gamboa stood up for himself...please! He damn sure picked the picture perfect time to do so...while under contract. Now, had this been his last fight under the TR banner, then he should've taken it, and THEN expressed his displeasure AFTERWARDS, when talks of renewing the contract came up.

Let's wave goodbye to the Cuban fighting machine with no following, while he gets thrown off the TR boat. Rios is Arum's next product, and he actually has a following. If Gamboa did anything in this situation, he only made it easier for Arum to fuck him and put him back on the streets with nothing.

+2

It was too good to be true laugh.gif

The difference is, Bradley didn't sign anything for a Khan fight (that I know of), he simply refused to take the fight. We see how long his litigation lasted...very brief. Though Yuri denied any talks of signing with Mayweather Promotions, Bradley did the same thing when asked about possibly signing with Top Rank.

You're right though, Gamboa is in the same mind frame as Bradley was last year, but the difference is, Timmy had his ducks in a row when he fled. Gamboa is simply going off of emotion and impulses right now. I wish him luck though...

Well according to Gamboa's lawyer, he isn't under any contract at the moment?! Saw this on The Ring's website:

http://ringtv.craveonline.com/blog/171911-...l-aims-to-fight

Top Rank has retained lawyer David Marroso, who is a senior attorney with the Los Angeles-based O'Melveny and Myers law firm. Marroso's partner, Daniel Petrocelli, gained a wrongful death conviction against O.J. Simpson in 1997."I think that it's a great public relations move by Top Rank," said Gary, who has been contacted by Marroso. Gary is Sekou Gary, Yuri's Laywer btw...

"But I think that the evidence will show that the promotional contract between Gamboa and Top Rank has expired, and that there clearly was never any agreement to fight the Brandon Rios fight. The original promotional contract that Gamboa signed has expired, and then the contract that Top Rank is operating under with Gamboa is not valid."

Seems like Gamboa's being advised by his lawyer at least that he DOES have a legal argument to make... Obviously I don't know WHY he thinks the current contract Gamboa and TR have is "not valid", be interesting to see how this pans out...

As for him getting an advance, we don't know if he requested that. Seems to be standard practice over at TR to advance fighters money, that way you can exercise some control over them when it comes to contract/fight negotiation time... If a dude owes you money, well then he has to do what you say right? However looks like Yuri and his lawyer have other ideas...
Cshel86
Good post. I guess at this point, we have to see what happens. Im wondering how Top Rank can take him to court, but his TR contract has expired. I guess the only evidence that we're waiting on is the stuff about the advance.

I agree with the last few lines about TR giving their fighters advances and using it as some type of control mechanism. That makes sense from a business standpoint, especially if a fighter needs it. So when they take accept the advance...they are TWICE the slave that they were before signing the initial promotional contract.
pesticid
I live in Canada so Common Law applies in the English speaking part and Civil Law in the French speaking one or Quebec. I believe in the States, Common Law is also used and I remember I took a employment law back in school and according to Common Law - a contract could be a verbal one. So it doesn't have to be set in stone or black on white. To rank could argue that and look at prior precedents, which is what Common Law is based upon. And I am all for Gamboa cause they did similar stuff with Pavlik, which was exposed in the interview that Ben did with them. They low balled Pavlik and he pulled out.
checkleft
QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Mar 14 2012, 09:07 PM) *
Shiiiiit, why would Arum be dumb enough to do that? Marquez is one foot out of the door, and dangerous as shit for Rios and for most remaining fighters even at this point of his career.

Rios is one of Arum's next cash cows, and he has a decent following. No need for him to put his cash cow in hot water against an old dangerous JMM.

On point. Arum isn't that stupid.. if marquez almost took out his biggest attraction and best fighter you think he's gonna try that recipe again with one of his more marketable young guys?
checkleft
QUOTE (Slumpage @ Mar 15 2012, 10:49 AM) *
Well according to Gamboa's lawyer, he isn't under any contract at the moment?! Saw this on The Ring's website:

Top Rank has retained lawyer David Marroso, who is a senior attorney with the Los Angeles-based O'Melveny and Myers law firm. Marroso's partner, Daniel Petrocelli, gained a wrongful death conviction against O.J. Simpson in 1997."I think that it's a great public relations move by Top Rank," said Gary, who has been contacted by Marroso. Gary is Sekou Gary, Yuri's Laywer btw...

"But I think that the evidence will show that the promotional contract between Gamboa and Top Rank has expired, and that there clearly was never any agreement to fight the Brandon Rios fight. The original promotional contract that Gamboa signed has expired, and then the contract that Top Rank is operating under with Gamboa is not valid."

Seems like Gamboa's being advised by his lawyer at least that he DOES have a legal argument to make... Obviously I don't know WHY he thinks the current contract Gamboa and TR have is "not valid", be interesting to see how this pans out...

As for him getting an advance, we don't know if he requested that. Seems to be standard practice over at TR to advance fighters money, that way you can exercise some control over them when it comes to contract/fight negotiation time... If a dude owes you money, well then he has to do what you say right? However looks like Yuri and his lawyer have other ideas...

Great post, I see Gamboa being out of commission for a little but I think he will get off pretty easily. Especially with another promotion company willing to back him and cover his advance/expenses. Or with someone like haymon arum would probably shit himself, haymon is very good at taking care of the fighters around him.

I've studied some law and this case seems like a toss up. Maybe a little more on gamboas favor though
BoxingFan86

Exactly!
QUOTE (Thickback @ Mar 15 2012, 08:20 AM) *

Pretty much.

QUOTE (Slumpage @ Mar 15 2012, 10:49 AM) *

Great post.
bnoles4life
QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Mar 15 2012, 09:52 AM) *

Correct, Bradley didn't sign anything...also, what makes this different from Bradley's situation is, his former promotor, contractually, was obligated to get him a fight by a certain DATE. His promoter got him a fight, but it was later than what was detailed. He opted to exercise his right to decry a breach in contract. Granted, it was a "technicality", but a valid reason, nonetheless. Obviously, this was strategic on Bradley's part, which makes it ironic, that Arum & Co. are suggesting "unknown promoters" are behind this and suing Gamboa over this. It's a case of, do as I say, not as I do.
daprofessor
QUOTE (Slumpage @ Mar 15 2012, 06:40 AM) *

best post i've seen on the matter yet.
daprofessor
QUOTE (Slumpage @ Mar 15 2012, 09:49 AM) *

wow. great move by gamboa if this is true and it would explain toprank trying to throw him to the wolves...and then subsequently throwing him under the bus for refusing to sign the contract. i wish nothing but the best to gamboa who is only looking out for his own best interest. it is clear to me bob doesn't give a shit about any of his fighters nor boxing for that matter. fuck bob.
daprofessor
QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Mar 15 2012, 10:21 AM) *
Good post. I guess at this point, we have to see what happens. Im wondering how Top Rank can take him to court, but his TR contract has expired. I guess the only evidence that we're waiting on is the stuff about the advance.

I agree with the last few lines about TR giving their fighters advances and using it as some type of control mechanism. That makes sense from a business standpoint, especially if a fighter needs it. So when they take accept the advance...they are TWICE the slave that they were before signing the initial promotional contract.

advances can be paid back. if all slumpage is saying is true...it looks very good for gamboa.
BoxingEinstein
QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Mar 14 2012, 09:07 PM) *

Marquez maybe old and still dangerous but he has yet faced an opponent who constantly puts pressure on him lately and willingly fight in the inside. Rios is a good inside fighter and has a good chin on him. The man has iron will and the heart the size of Japan. Then again this is JMM who we're talking bout.
Cshel86
QUOTE (daprofessor @ Mar 15 2012, 06:03 PM) *
advances can be paid back.

laugh.gif

Ask Manny how long that takes! Seriously, why take an advance, if your stuff is in order already? If it's only $70k and his contract has expired, then he should be okay. Now if he takes those Pacquiao advances (consecutive cases of millions), then he may be stuck. I highly doubt that's the case though.

QUOTE (BoxingEinstein @ Mar 15 2012, 07:06 PM) *
Marquez maybe old and still dangerous but he has yet faced an opponent who constantly puts pressure on him lately and willingly fight in the inside. Rios is a good inside fighter and has a good chin on him. The man has iron will and the heart the size of Japan. Then again this is JMM who we're talking bout.

What about Juan Diaz? Marquez has fought Manny 3 times and held his own w/o losing his marbles or staring retirement in the face. Has Rios fought a JMM-type fighter? Almost everyone that Rios has fought, either had skill and no pop, pop and no skill, or a little bit of both with no mental toughness.
pesticid
QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Mar 15 2012, 06:21 PM) *
laugh.gif

Ask Manny how long that takes! Seriously, why take an advance, if your stuff is in order already? If it's only $70k and his contract has expired, then he should be okay. Now if he takes those Pacquiao advances (consecutive cases of millions), then he may be stuck. I highly doubt that's the case though.

What about Juan Diaz? Marquez has fought Manny 3 times and held his own w/o losing his marbles or staring retirement in the face. Has Rios fought a JMM-type fighter? Almost everyone that Rios has fought, either had skill and no pop, pop and no skill, or a little bit of both with no mental toughness.

True! What JMM would do to Rios is what JMM does to everyone without a lot of skill and speed. Undress them and kill them.
daprofessor
QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Mar 15 2012, 06:21 PM) *
laugh.gif

true dat...but pac stayed put. gamboa wants out. there's a chance his next promoter squares things up by paying back the advance if need be. 70k is a small price to pay for a fighter of gamboa's caliber.

i agree about juan diaz. at least diaz was capable of switching game plans. i've only seen rios fight one way. jmm eats him up in similar fashion.
Cheesey1
This only improved my opinion of Gamboa. If there's no signed contract, then it's an implied contract which is by no means a slam dunk to prove. Even with the advance, not sure if that's going to accepted as automatic proof of a contract being in place, but as with everything, time will tell.
duwdu
I made a post in this thread earlier today in which I argued some people were being too hasty to put it all on Gamboa while giving Bob Arum/Top Rank an undeserved pass. I also added stuff to the effect that Gamboa's case/side of the story was probably being underrated. Immediately following my post was a post by Slumpage in which he complained that his posts were missing, and that it took him quite a while to compose that stuff.

As it has now turned out, those [posts I presume were the] previously missing posts by Slumpage - which have all turned out to be excellent in my view - together with other comments, have now surfaced. However, my own post, along with Slumpage's post in which he complained about his own missing posts, are now missing. Is this thread experiencing a technical hitch or being messed up?

Whatever the case is, I am glad I'm getting to read Slumpage's well reasoned posts.

P34c3
duwdu
QUOTE (Cheesey1 @ Mar 16 2012, 03:50 PM) *
This only improved my opinion of Gamboa. If there's no signed contract, then it's an implied contract which is by no means a slam dunk to prove. Even with the advance, not sure if that's going to accepted as automatic proof of a contract being in place, but as with everything, time will tell.

Right. And like Slumpage already postulated, if mere verbal or informal agreements would be so binding, why bother about contracts? Something is definitely fishy about this lawsuit by TR. I also pointed out in my [currently] missing post that this lawsuit could be more about TR wanting to show they're not a promotional wimp, as well as serve warnings to their other fighters and save face, than it is about TR trying to re-coup any losses.

P34c3
thehype
QUOTE (duwdu @ Mar 16 2012, 04:01 PM) *
I made a post in this thread earlier today in which I argued some people were being too hasty to put it all on Gamboa while giving Bob Arum/Top Rank an undeserved pass. I also added stuff to the effect that Gamboa's case/side of the story was probably being underrated. Immediately following my post was a post by Slumpage in which he complained that his posts were missing, and that it took him quite a while to compose that stuff.

As it has now turned out, those [posts I presume were the] previously missing posts by Slumpage - which have all turned out to be excellent in my view - together with other comments, have now surfaced. However, my own post, along with Slumpage's post in which he complained about his own missing posts, are now missing. Is this thread experiencing a technical hitch or being messed up?

Whatever the case is, I am glad I'm getting to read Slumpage's well reasoned posts.

P34c3

Um...yeah...just FYI, I actually just picked up the entire site and moved it from one server to a new server. Our previous hosting company was starting to have way too many issues for my taste, so I moved to a much more stable one. I made a backup of the database, but there may have been a few posts lost in the shuffle depending on when they were made because it took a little while for the DNS to resolve. Sorry about that.
thehype
And by the way, just to add to the thread, from what I'm hearing, Gamboa supposedly communicated via email that he was okay with the fight so long as the money is right...I'm guessing that the email is the "document" that Top Rank is referring to when they keep saying he agreed to the fight. Not really sure what that means as far as the case is concerned though.
duwdu
QUOTE (thehype @ Mar 16 2012, 04:21 PM) *
Um...yeah...just FYI, I actually just picked up the entire site and moved it from one server to a new server. Our previous hosting company was starting to have way too many issues for my taste, so I moved to a much more stable one. I made a backup of the database, but there may have been a few posts lost in the shuffle depending on when they were made because it took a little while for the DNS to resolve. Sorry about that.

Now well understood Hype; all the best with the new host.

P34c3
daprofessor
QUOTE (duwdu @ Mar 16 2012, 03:01 PM) *

P34c3

please don't tell me we have a gestapo here like some other forums not worth mentioning.
daprofessor
QUOTE (thehype @ Mar 16 2012, 03:21 PM) *

cool! smile.gif
Gambit808
Fuck all the out of the ring soap opera shit, i'm simply pissed this fight won't happen soon smh
duwdu
Well, newly published on the front page is a Top Rank press release about what will now be on the April 14 card: a split venue event to be co-headlined by JMM (in Mexico) and Rios (in Vegas). The card also features the exciting Alvarado.

I'm not sure if I buy this opponent for JMM though.

Here's the link to the front page story: http://fighthype.com/pages/content12005.html

P34c3
Cheesey1

Agreed.
Cheesey1
QUOTE (duwdu @ Mar 16 2012, 04:19 PM) *
Right. And like Slumpage already postulated, if mere verbal or informal agreements would be so binding, why bother about contracts? Something is definitely fishy about this lawsuit by TR. I also pointed out in my [currently] missing post that this lawsuit could be more about TR wanting to show they're not a promotional wimp, as well as serve warnings to their other fighters and save face, than it is about TR trying to re-coup any losses.

P34c3

TR and the Bobfather, redefining the word "fishy" for the email age.
Slumpage
Seems like Arum tried to slip another contract extension into a fight contract, going by the front page article regarding Chavez Jr.

Clearly a pattern emerging here....
Cshel86
QUOTE (Gambit808 @ Mar 16 2012, 08:56 PM) *
Fuck all the out of the ring soap opera shit, i'm simply pissed this fight won't happen soon smh

Surely you didn't believe this fight was gonna happen in the first place. I mean seriously, they even made an announcement of the upcoming fights on HBO, and mentioned Gamboa/Rios.

EVEN THEN, it was still too good to be true. You can hear in Lampley's voice, that he lacked faith in the fight happening while announcing it (before the Alexander/Maidana fight began)...there was NO enthusiasm in his voice whatsoever.

QUOTE (Slumpage @ Mar 21 2012, 06:53 AM) *
Seems like Arum tried to slip another contract extension into a fight contract, going by the front page article regarding Chavez Jr.

Clearly a pattern emerging here....

Open a thread for this...HUUUUURRY!!!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.