Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: The 1st fight you watched that made you want to follow Boxing. (Added Question)
FightHype Community > OTHER HYPE > Archives
Gambit808
FOR ME IT WAS June 28, 1997 Tyson vs. Holyfield II, I was 8 at the time when they fought in a rematch and before that time, I never really sat down to watch boxing because i was more into WWF (Attitude Era) & WCW, but i knew Tyson mainly due to his staged fight with my guy at the time (Stone Cold) so i had to take notice. Little did I know when I watched that fight "shit got real" for me. I felt at the time that it had all the makings of what Wrestling Entertainment was about but 10 times more real and that infamous ear biting episode mike delivered made me a fan ever since.

BOXING FAN SINCE 97

Added Question:

What fight first had you take notice of your favorite fighter?

My Favorite fighter is "Money" Mayweather for this reason... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xgjjuUo5G4o...feature=related

Hittman25
marco antonio barrera vs naseem hamed was the first boxing match I remember and made me fall in love with boxing...Same fight for the second question too (Im a young boxing fan) It was just a on sided ass beating clinic that made me love marco for his grit and boxing skill
BoxingFan86
I don't know how old I was (maybe 10 or 11, I'm 26 now), but my dad showed me a tape of Jack Dempsey's fight against Jess Willard. That shit was beyond epic! Ever since that day, I've followed boxin'. As far as my favorite (current) boxer goes, it's Mayweather Jr. I was always an observer of him, but the performance he put on when he fought Phillip N'dou made me become a solid fan.

mgrover
when i was younger few mates decided to go boxing and i tagged along, after that training session boxing became a sort of obsession whether it was training or watching, i was 8 then, am 18 now.
BoxingStill#1
Ive always had an interest for the sport since i was a kid in and out of the gym with folkes..

But I started to follow heavily when I first watched Tyson Lewis... There was something about that fight that I knew was the true ending of a legend

I just wanted to know more....how, why....

I was 16
p4pcrown
Ali made me follow boxing. The attitude, the athletic ability, the competitive spirit, talking the talking and walking the walk, and the entertainment. The epic battles with Frazier, Foreman, Liston etc...After seeing Ali i was hooked..enough said.
Cheesey1
Like a lot of countries outside of America, football (soccer) and boxing were two of the major/ the main sports when I was growing up. My father was a huge boxing fan so it's hard to say which was the first match that I can say blew my mind because boxing and soccer were always on (soccer more so). Of course I was aware of Ali etc., but I don't know, maybe Nigel Benn vs. Chris Eubank. Tyson's earlier bouts always generated a lot of buzz. I remember how his legend grew with wins over people like James "Bonecrusher" Smith, Mitch "Blood" Green etc.
Thickback
Tyson vs Trevor Berbick. Also Sugar Ray Leonard. Not sure which fight.
mrwigi
Robinson vs Fullmer. I dont remember which one, but I know there was a famous left hook involved. I believe i was 6 then, and i thought Sugar Ray had super powers with the way he threw that hook...lol... That was the 1st fight i watched. Then i remember watching Floyd vs Diego, and Ive been hooked ever since
Gambit808
QUOTE (Cheesey1 @ Mar 17 2012, 12:30 PM) *
Like a lot of countries outside of America, football (soccer) and boxing were two of the major/ the main sports when I was growing up. My father was a huge boxing fan so it's hard to say which was the first match that I can say blew my mind because boxing and soccer were always on (soccer more so). Of course I was aware of Ali etc., but I don't know, maybe Nigel Benn vs. Chris Eubank. Tyson's earlier bouts always generated a lot of buzz. I remember how his legend grew with wins over people like James "Bonecrusher" Smith, Mitch "Blood" Green etc.

just watched that fight (Nigel Benn vs. Chris Eubank) and i'm mad that i missed it when it happened... great fight.
BoxingEinstein

Watching Tyson's amateur fights and his training vids made me wanted to follow boxing. Watching Sugar Ray Robinson prepare for his fights in old videos. Just watching these guys going beyond their limits to put their body in condition for these fights. The brutality of it and rawness of the old school videos forever made me a genuine fan of the sport. To know that these guys prepare their bodies in such an advanced degree to entertain us as people who want to watch it is nothing short than courageous. #boxingfan
sduck
No specific fights, but the boxers themselves: Tyson, Joe Louis, Ali. My top three favorites. I loved the charisma of Ali, and the nostalgic appeal of Joe Louis and Ali. And I always thought Tyson was the man and was hilarious. I also remember growing up when Tyson was on top, household name in boxing.
Cshel86
I really started watching boxing again back in late '99..after the HW division started to somewhat slow down. Of course I was still young, so I didn't have much control over which fights to order, and whether or not we kept HBO or not. laugh.gif

Of course with the HW division, I remember Mike Tyson (who didn't?), Holyfield, hearing about Lennox Lewis, McNealey (pops ordered the Tyson fight:lol:), and a few others. When I really started catching HBO fights, I remember a few fighters in particular...

1. A few Dominick "Southern Disaster" Guinn (beating the hell out of this big ass African dude in particular)
2. Shane Mosley (relays of both Winky Wright fights, and replays of both Forrest fights), we actually ordered the De La Hoya rematch
3. A few RJJ fights (I remember him beating somebody with one hand), and I remember the replay of the first Tarver fight, then the "state of emergency" announcement scrolling on ESPN about him getting KO'd in the rematch).
4. For the love of God...I've NEVER forgot the first time I saw JMM/Pacquiao 1 or HBO that night! That shit uuuugly! I remember Marquez getting dropped 3 times, and
I thought he was gonna die. All I can remember was, "damn, that dude in the red never gets tired", while also thinking, "that dude in the white hung in there". laugh.gif
5. For some reason, I remember the first Judah/Spinks fight. Wanna know how I remember? I remember Zab's ass got dropped, then got up and acted like nothing happened. laugh.gif
6. I also remember Jermain Taylor's earlier bouts on HBO.
From 2006 (I remember Gatti/Baldomir and FMJ/Judah) to 2007, I followed boxing as much as I could (nasty school & work schedule), but I kept my eyes peeled after Mayweather/De La Hoya up until now.

I believe Gatti/Baldomir did it for me, along with Mayweather/De La Hoya. I say Gatti/Baldomir because of the action, and Mayweather/De La Hoya because of the hype going around about it. That fight started the summer off for me, and I was actually at a point in life where I could catch fights live and keep up with everything that was going on.
daprofessor
started learning to box at age 5 from family....love participating. that was in '76....then as far as watching....duran/leonard 1 is the fight that hooked me for life. it was the first time i ever watched a fight with a big crowd in a theater on closed circuit. i loved ali...then leonard...but duran took it to new heights. then pryor, hearns, benitez, hagler, arguello and countless others also contributed to making me a lifetime die hard.
Cheesey1
QUOTE (Gambit808 @ Mar 19 2012, 02:27 PM) *
just watched that fight (Nigel Benn vs. Chris Eubank) and i'm mad that i missed it when it happened... great fight.

Cool. Boxing's fantastic. It really gets on my nerves when I see people try to claim it as their own...you know the douchebags that go online and try to question a person's dedication to the sport not knowing a thing about why that person likes boxing.
It makes me glad to see kids getting into the sport. I went to the Mayweather/Ortiz press conference last year (I missed the one in Harlem this year) and it was good to see how many young people were there. I want boxing to keep growing and the more young people that rediscover the sport, then the better.
Cshel86
QUOTE (daprofessor @ Mar 19 2012, 04:19 PM) *
started learning to box at age 5 from family....love participating. that was in '76

Old ass! laugh.gif
Cheesey1
QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Mar 19 2012, 05:08 PM) *
Old ass! laugh.gif

You know what they say about glass houses and stones....
Cshel86
QUOTE (Cheesey1 @ Mar 19 2012, 05:24 PM) *
You know what they say about glass houses and stones....

It's too late, the stone has been thrown...laugh.gif
Cheesey1
QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Mar 19 2012, 06:24 PM) *
It's too late, the stone has been thrown...laugh.gif

Ha! I knew that old people were stubborn, but damn...
daprofessor
QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Mar 19 2012, 04:08 PM) *
Old ass! laugh.gif

i'm like fine wine...i just keep getting better with time. smile.gif
wolterb
I randomly bought a Rumble in the Jungle VHS tape from Goodwill when I was young and got sucked in by Muhammad lol.
checkleft
Been at it since I was 7 but meldrick Taylor is the reason I started following. Kind of weird considering his outcome
Cshel86
QUOTE (daprofessor @ Mar 19 2012, 09:49 PM) *
i'm like fine wine...i just keep getting better with time. smile.gif

laugh.gif

Just kidding...you aint that old Professor!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.