Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: HBO@10PM(ET)/7PM(PT)-Martinez vs. Macklin-SPOILERS 15 Mins. Later
FightHype Community > OTHER HYPE > Archives
Pages: 1, 2
Jack 1000
For all the action and post-fight reactions to tonight's fight. Keep everything in this thread.

Jack

Administrator
Cheesey1
Alright, let's see what Rodriguez and George are all about.
Cheesey1
Larry Merchant...forcing me to reach for the remote control...pressing the mute button....
bnoles4life
Oh goodie....I get (read: forced) to sit through a fight narrated by Grumpy ol' Men
Cheesey1
QUOTE (bnoles4life @ Mar 17 2012, 10:33 PM) *
Oh goodie....I get (read: forced) to sit through a fight narrated by Grumpy ol' Men

Yup.
Cheesey1
These guys are loading up, but they're both there to be hit.

Okay match, nothing spectacular, but they both put in 100%.
bnoles4life
QUOTE (Cheesey1 @ Mar 17 2012, 10:48 PM) *
These guys are loading up, but they're both there to be hit.

begging
Cheesey1
Martinez' trainier in the shades looks like he could be Eloy Perez's dealer.
bnoles4life
Prediction: Should Martinez scorch Macklin tonight, it's gonna be quiet for those that jumped on the "I don't see what the hype is about" train. I'm not saying he is, but I find it mad funny how quickly he's fallen out of favor, after being the "flavor of the month" for a minute.
Cheesey1
Yup. As long as Martinez fights a bit more orthodox, then he's definitely winning.
Hotsauce
its over
Cheesey1
Macklin's still in it, but Martinez can and should still win.
bnoles4life
So, Sergio, who's has this fight well under control, seems to have a look of uncertainty to Larry and Emmanuel....these MFs just lookin' for ANYTHING
Cheesey1
Good round for Macklin.

Martinez needs to add a few jabs to the mix and he'll regain control.
bnoles4life
did Sergio start to "involuntarily dance" from a Macklin shot?
bnoles4life
WTH is wrong w/ the Corona girl's butt? It looks like that artificial ass from "Imma Get You Sucka"
Cheesey1
QUOTE (bnoles4life @ Mar 17 2012, 11:35 PM) *
WTH is wrong w/ the Corona girl's butt? It looks like that artificial ass from "Imma Get You Sucka"

Ha!
bnoles4life
Anyone else notice that seemingly ALWAYS, Martinez hits a "lull" around the 6th or 7th round?
Cheesey1
Hopefully that woke Martinez up.
bnoles4life
They're crazy if they think Martinez is down 2 rounds.
Cheesey1
No way is he down two rounds. He's up at least one, maybe two. He's been catching Macklin on that jaw.
Cheesey1
Haha, grumpy old men!!!!
bnoles4life
QUOTE (Cheesey1 @ Mar 17 2012, 11:43 PM) *
No way is he down two rounds. He's up at least one, maybe two. He's been catching Macklin on that jaw.

+1
Plah
Watching a british stream here, cant stand most of those HBO guys. There's no way Macklin is ahead. He's missing a lot and getting outclassed.
Cheesey1
Larry Merchant....you were saying?

Oh no, they've unleashed LM with a microphone on the tired Sergio Martinez.
Plah
DAMN!!!!
Hotsauce
QUOTE (Hotsauce @ Mar 17 2012, 11:20 PM) *
its over

i called it
sduck
Boo. I don't care what anyone says, this dude would get mopped by Floyd Mayweather. Easy fight.
bnoles4life
Okay, HBO crew...so, NOW he made terrific adjustments throughout the fight?
sduck
I don't know what fight y'all was watching. Martinez had no control in that fight. Made no sorts of adjustments. He actually looked confused and then defeated until Macklin flat out slowed down and gave the fight up over stamina.
Cheesey1
QUOTE (Hotsauce @ Mar 17 2012, 11:57 PM) *
i called it

Good call.

As Sergio said, "it was like chopping down a tree."
bnoles4life
QUOTE (sduck @ Mar 17 2012, 11:57 PM) *
Boo. I don't care what anyone says, this dude would get mopped by Floyd Mayweather. Easy fight.

I disagree. I think Floyd wins, but "mopped up"..HELL NAW. Martinez is NO JOKE....he's quick enough to hit Floyd and dare I say, "counter" him, IF Floyd became the aggressor. I doubt Floyd would...i think he'd draw him in and counter him. Win for Floyd? Of course. Easy fight? FUCK naw.
Cheesey1
QUOTE (bnoles4life @ Mar 18 2012, 12:02 AM) *
I disagree. I think Floyd wins, but "mopped up"..HELL NAW. Martinez is NO JOKE....he's quick enough to hit Floyd and dare I say, "counter" him, IF Floyd became the aggressor. I doubt Floyd would...i think he'd draw him in and counter him. Win for Floyd? Of course. Easy fight? FUCK naw.

Agree.
sduck
Like a fighter like Pacquiao, Sergio Martinez looks good against these slow, flat-footed, come-forward, no head-movement fighters, but against pure boxers looks non-elite. Martinez will be an easy fight for Floyd because Martinez gets hit too easily, doesn't know how to adjust, and is pretty much one-dimensional. (I didn't expect to call him a one-dimensional fighter until this fight, but it confirmed it for me. Just like most southpaws, throwing the right jab, looking for the straight left, that's all they do.) Floyd will be landing counter-jabs and straight rights all day for 12 rounds straight. Martinez won't know what to do. Especially the fact that he likes to box but is just not on Floyd's level in terms of skill. Easy fight. I said this would be easier than the Pacquiao fight (say what?!!!) and I still think so.
pimpfighterROQ
I think Julio Caesar Chavez can give Martinez some problems. I think Martinez still wins, but after seeing this fight, I give JCC a live dog status against Martinez.

Oh and definitely Martinez will give Floyd problems.
bnoles4life
QUOTE (sduck @ Mar 18 2012, 12:05 AM) *
Like a fighter like Pacquiao, Sergio Martinez looks good against these slow, flat-footed, come-forward, no head-movement fighters, but against pure boxers looks non-elite. Martinez will be an easy fight for Floyd because Martinez gets hit too easily, doesn't know how to adjust, and is pretty much one-dimensional. (I didn't expect to call him a one-dimensional fighter until this fight, but it confirmed it for me. Just like most southpaws, throwing the right jab, looking for the straight left, that's all they do.) Floyd will be landing counter-jabs and straight rights all day for 12 rounds straight. Martinez won't know what to do. Especially the fact that he likes to box but is just not on Floyd's level in terms of skill. Easy fight. I said this would be easier than the Pacquiao fight (say what?!!!) and I still think so.

Exactly, which fight did you just watch? Here's a better question: which "pure" boxer did Sergio look "non-elite" against?
checkleft
Called it too. Good strategic fight, Martinez has hands of stone.
sduck
QUOTE (pimpfighterROQ @ Mar 17 2012, 11:09 PM) *
I think Julio Caesar Chavez can give Martinez some problems. I think Martinez still wins, but after seeing this fight, I give JCC a live dog status against Martinez.

Oh and definitely Martinez will give Floyd problems.

JCC looked like garbage to me against Zbik (that's how you spell it?) but his boxing style aint bad, and it will give Martinz problems. As long as you box Martinez, he'll get confused and can't throw his signature straight hand combos.

QUOTE (bnoles4life @ Mar 17 2012, 11:09 PM) *
Exactly, which fight did you just watch? Here's a better question: which "pure" boxer did Sergio look "non-elite" against?

The same fight you all just watched, where mysteriously to your eyes Martinez had full control of the fight. Macklin was actually giving Martinez a hell of fight, he was getting hit with jabs, but was dodging a lot of power shots, and was landing solid punches of his own. The fight was neck and neck until Macklin's stamina just died after scoring that knockdown.
Cheesey1
No big deal, we just saw two different fights.

I'm not denying that Macklin won some rounds, but Martinez was never behind.
checkleft
What he's suppose to walk all over everyone? He looked good even great in the late going against the #2? #3 guy in the world. Some people have that Larry merchant syndrome
mrchitown
Got home from the Bulls game and turned to the fight and the first thing I see is Martinez get knocked down. From what I did see Macklin was performing well against Martinez. I'm going to have to watch it in it's entirety to accurately give a definitive opinion but I liked the way Martinez closed the show but it did seem as if the fatigue of Macklin played a part in the fight
sduck
Don't get me wrong, I like Sergio. I like watching his fights, but I just don't understand it. All the praise and elitism towards him. He's overrated to me. Not THAT good. I see way too many flaws with this guy, I see many fighters that can beat him. And the fact that people think he'll give Floyd Mayweather a very tough fight is just funny to me. I've even seen people compare Martinez to Roy Jones Jr, now that's hilarious.
bnoles4life
QUOTE (sduck @ Mar 18 2012, 12:13 AM) *
JCC looked like garbage to me against Zbik (that's how you spell it?) but his boxing style aint bad, and it will give Martinz problems. As long as you box Martinez, he'll get confused and can't throw his signature straight hand combos.

The same fight you all just watched, where mysteriously to your eyes Martinez had full control of the fight. Macklin was actually giving Martinez a hell of fight, he was getting hit with jabs, but was dodging a lot of power shots, and was landing solid punches of his own. The fight was neck and neck until Macklin's stamina just died after scoring that knockdown.

Personally, I think many score fights via "comparative" rounds. Meaning, a fighter does better than one expects, so dude gets that round. I think, no, I KNOW Macklin won a few rounds, but he was NEVER ahead in that fight. Moreover, he didn't give Serg "hell", he was competitive. He came to fight and that's good. However, to label Martinez as garbage, IMO, is unfounded. The ONLY way JCC, Jr. gives Martinez problems is if he channels his inner John Ruiz, jab and clinch on the way in. I'm telling you, Jr. is gonna walk into counter right hands like that was his game plan.
bnoles4life
QUOTE (sduck @ Mar 18 2012, 12:27 AM) *
I've even seen people compare Martinez to Roy Jones Jr, now that's hilarious.

Well, there you go. Clearly, you were in the wrong place, while talking boxing.
sduck
QUOTE (bnoles4life @ Mar 17 2012, 11:32 PM) *
Personally, I think many score fights via "comparative" rounds. Meaning, a fighter does better than one expects, so dude gets that round. I think, no, I KNOW Macklin won a few rounds, but he was NEVER ahead in that fight. Moreover, he didn't give Serg "hell", he was competitive. He came to fight and that's good. However, to label Martinez as garbage, IMO, is unfounded. The ONLY way JCC, Jr. gives Martinez problems is if he channels his inner John Ruiz, jab and clinch on the way in. I'm telling you, Jr. is gonna walk into counter right hands like that was his game plan.

I think you all giving Martinez too much credit in this fight, we just viewed them differently I guess. That fight was neck and neck to me and at no point did I see Martinez control the fight until the end when Macklin just gave up. He looked confused and frustrated to me throughout most of the fight. And I watched it in HD too. I don't think Martinez is garbage. He's a good fighter. He's just not this elite amazing fighter to me, that for some reason many people got wrapped in their heads. Just because he can knock out a dumb fighter like Paul Williams only means just that. Against people who box, Barker and Macklin, he looked sub-par to elite level to me. And when you want to compare him to people like Floyd Mayweather, which many people think will be some sort of "true test" for Floyd (which I strongly disagree. I'd put my life on it and say Martinez will get destroyed by Floyd if they ever fought, that's how confident I am in that.)

The thing with me is, it's just Martinez style and his performance. He's clearly not good at adjusting to boxing styles, and we all know who's the best in the game at that. He fights defensive, likes to put his hands down, and he's not doing it like Floyd to trick his opponent, he's just fightin stupid. He gets hit way too much, especially against these SLOW fighters. He's decent at countering, especially with the jab, but he won't know how to adjust to Floyd's countering, trust me. It's going to be like Mosley, one-dimensional, will get figured-out and will look stupid for the rest of the fight not knowing what to do. I'm not gonna try to change anyone's opinion, come the fight, IF they fight, I'll say I told you so lol.
checkleft
QUOTE (bnoles4life @ Mar 18 2012, 12:32 AM) *

+1.. seriously I gave him maybe three rounds. And I counted the kd round as 9-9 because I thought serg was winning the round and that it was a trip.
BoxingFan86
Macklin tested Martinez, but all he did was bring out the true Champion in Martinez. Good fight!
mgrover
it seems that he outdid Macklin in stamina, or maybe it was his general high work rate, followed by his classic rounds off, maybe he'd do a lot better than we see if he trains to fight for the entire 12 rounds? I want to see someone with enough stamina and a good enough chin to last with him 12 rounds, am not so sure about Pirog because I haven't seen him fight, but two fighters that are always amazingly conditioned are Pacquiao and Mayweather, and there chins have been tested, well Pacquiao has, Mayweather doesn't let his get tested, a fight at 154 would be something nice since Martinez did come in at 158lb. i mean the mans 37, am sure he wants an exit strategy and a fight with either of these two would guarantee that, Mayweather more than Pacquiao since am sure he'd get a bigger slice of the pie than The Bobfather is willing to give out, a fight with ward would be just too stupid. he'd give up weight and height to the best super middleweight in the world. a fight with Pirog just wouldn't generate that much money? and realistically he cant fight the new European middleweight champion because he's not in the same league.
fightscoreollector
how did yous all have the fight at the time of stoppage?
Cheesey1
I scored it 107-99. Martinez was consistently accurate and put on the pressure at the end of the round in which he was knocked down, so I also made that a 9-9 round. Martinez was pacing himself and while I would have liked to have seen him throw more jabs and be a bit more orthodox, he thoroughly beat up Macklin.

Also, to my eyes, Martinez went over because Macklin's leg/thigh was in the way. If it wasn't there, Martinez would've rolled/moved his feet with the punch and not gone down. He wasn't hurt at all.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.