Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Where Are the Up-and-Coming PPV Stars?
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
Cshel86
As we all know, the two biggest draws in the sport, dont have much time left before they retire. With that said, where are all of the new PPV stars? I mean seriously, some of these guys are decent ticket sellers in their respective divisions, but why aren't they being pushed into the PPV realm more often?

I guess the PPV exposure would get them where they need to be in the near future. Could it be a lack of ring appeal/personality or does it cost that much to get these guys to headline a PPV card?

Hell, I paid to see Dawson/Hopkins, and the sells were terrible. So I'd pay too see the Berto/ortiz rematch, or even the Khan/Peterson rematch. I would pay these to see these for a lower price of course...somewhere around $40.

Thoughts?
mgrover
I don' know but am going to b glad when Mayweather and Pac retire, it'll give other people a chance to the mainstream audience since all I hear from the casuals is Mayweather his and Pac that.
Cshel86
QUOTE (mgrover @ Mar 22 2012, 10:50 AM) *
I don' know but am going to b glad when Mayweather and Pac retire, it'll give other people a chance to the mainstream audience since all I hear from the casuals is Mayweather his and Pac that.

I wholeheartedly agree! Their run at the top of the sport have become more of a hassle nowadays. I mean that shit makes people almost come to blows when discussing it no2.gif

Man the 140 lb division was full of PPV star potential, but those dudes started dropping off like flies, or started crying for Mayweather/Pacquiao and fucked up the whole flow of things no2.gif

I was waiting to see Ortiz, Khan, Peterson, Bradley, Alexander, Maidana, and few other take over the PPV era, though some of them are bigger draws than the others. Instead, guys started looking "not so good" in the ring, then the whole FMJ/Pac disease just killed everybody's focus.

Honestly, the first Berto/Ortiz fight should've been a PPV, but oh well. Most of the time, people dont even watch the fight on the night that it's aired anyway...so hearing all of the hype about it throughout the week, then catching the free HBO replay the next week would've been cool.
BoxingFan86
I'd say Broner, Rios, Alvarez, and Alexander (maybe) are on the path to becomin' future PPV stars. Broner and Rios are at the top of that list based on their personality, alone. In that sense, they're very marketable. They're all still a work in progress, though, but I believe they're improvin' with each fight.
BoxingFan86
QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Mar 22 2012, 10:56 AM) *
I wholeheartedly agree! Their run at the top of the sport have become more of a hassle nowadays. I mean that shit makes people almost come to blows when discussing it no2.gif

Man the 140 lb division was full of PPV star potential, but those dudes started dropping off like flies, or started crying for Mayweather/Pacquiao and fucked up the whole flow of things no2.gif

I was waiting to see Ortiz, Khan, Peterson, Bradley, Alexander, Maidana, and few other take over the PPV era, though some of them are bigger draws than the others. Instead, guys started looking "not so good" in the ring, then the whole FMJ/Pac disease just killed everybody's focus.

Honestly, the first Berto/Ortiz fight should've been a PPV, but oh well. Most of the time, people dont even watch the fight on the night that it's aired anyway...so hearing all of the hype about it throughout the week, then catching the free HBO replay the next week would've been cool.
I agree.
Cshel86
QUOTE (BoxingFan86 @ Mar 22 2012, 11:24 AM) *
I'd say Broner, Rios, Alvarez, and Alexander (maybe) are on the path to becomin' future PPV stars. Broner and Rios are at the top of that list based on their personality, alone. In that sense, they're very marketable. They're all still a work in progress, though, but I believe they're improvin' with each fight.

I agree, and I actually commend TR on taking a chance with Rios and headlining a PPV. I like how GBP did the Morales/Maidana PPV card last year, which Im thankful to this day that I ordered.
bnoles4life
I'm interested in seeing more of Gary Russell, Jr. First things first, drop that Jr. shit...it's a curse in boxing, to be a Jr. NOT from a famous Sr. I mean, who wants to see a fighter w/ a minister sounding name?
karmine20
Mark my words adrien broner will be the new PPV king once Floyd retires. He possesses everything needed in order to succeed at the level. Not to mention he is quiet entertaining and he reminds me of Floyd.
bnoles4life
QUOTE (karmine20 @ Mar 22 2012, 12:55 PM) *
Mark my words adrien broner will be the new PPV king once Floyd retires. He possesses everything needed in order to succeed at the level. Not to mention he is quiet entertaining and he reminds me of Floyd.

I don't know about PPV king, but I think he'll definitely be a star. The fact that he reminds you of Floyd, may be the ONE hinderance he'll have to deal with. People HAAAAAAAAATE PBF and damn near anyone who looks like him.....some will be put off by Broner (me NOT INCLUDED).
karmine20
QUOTE (bnoles4life @ Mar 22 2012, 01:01 PM) *
I don't know about PPV king, but I think he'll definitely be a star. The fact that he reminds you of Floyd, may be the ONE hinderance he'll have to deal with. People HAAAAAAAAATE PBF and damn near anyone who looks like him.....some will be put off by Broner (me NOT INCLUDED).

Thatís exactly why i think he will succeed bc hate him or love him people still tune into watch him. Now granted youíre probably tuning in to watch him lose but I definitely donít see him losing anytime soon. Heís a hard worker and I have yet to see him take anyone for granted, but again this is just my opinion
Franchize
QUOTE (mgrover @ Mar 22 2012, 10:50 AM) *

I have to disagree. I think Mayweather retiring is going to be like when Jay Z stops rapping. I just don't see anyone taking his place for a while but personality wise and with skill. I guess Broner is the next up but I think he's trying to master the extra curricular stuff as much if not more than the actual boxing. People forget that Mayweatehr was once a pretty humble guy.
sduck
I'll say when Pac and May retire, boxing will be dead to the mainstream for a while, then might rise back up with upcoming stars like Bradley, Broner, or whoever. Frankly I don't see anyone taking the PPV throne and shattering records. They're just given scraps to what boxing once was in popularity.
Cshel86
Let's not forget how some of these new age fighters are conducting their careers as if the age of 30 will be their stopping point. Seriously, they're either trying to jump from A to Z a bit too quickly.

None of these guys have the intention of cleaning out the division, they just want safe fights, then the Big Fight. Skill-wise, most of them aren't ready for the 1A and 1B fighters of the sport.

I guess Im just looking for most of these guys to face each other (in their division), but their promoters are too damn afraid to lose out. Why work so hard to fight to two fighters in the world, when they're probably never going to fight each other anyway?

Like I said earlier, these guys could have had a couple of PPVs by now...and that's just them fighting against each other.

leonthegee
I wouldnt spend a dollar on any of those bums out there right now. Broner has skill but he needs that big fight to gain peoples interest. Right now hes just a great talent with a belt. Rios, Canelo, Bradley, Berto, and Ortiz YAWN.........................
Kratza
When Mayweather retires we've still got Mayweather part 2 to watch (Adrien Broner) and maybe even a Pacquiao part 2 in Donaire...
karmine20
I wish people would stop mentioning Ortiz and Berto as if they even have a chance of being a PPV king when they arenít even in the elite category. You only even talk about them because they had one of the most entertaining matches in a while. And Ortiz on the other hand will always be remembered for quitting against madiana.Im a firm believer once a quitter always a quitter. Berto is still out for revenge for the lost he endured until then he can take the proper steps in putting him in the elite category. And I still will have questions about that because he lacks the correct head movement. He gets hit absolutely entirely too much. But again this is just my opinion.
JammyJam
I 'd have to say that Canelo and JCC jr have the best shot, just because of their following. They are also taking the easy road to the top while becoming household names. I mean anyone who has watched the last few Mayweather PPVs has now seen Canelo and that only serves to build his name.

I think Broner has got the marketing down as well, and although he fights similar to Mayweather, he provides the end knockout the casual fan hopes to see.

Rios will definitely be a big draw one day, pending he can beat at least one elite fighter like a Marquez.

I don't think Andre Ward will ever be a big draw, because he is too humble. The casual fan wants to see a stereotypical, loud mouth black guy. I hope that he gets more notoriety though.

I think Donaire and Khan also have good chances of being ppv kings just because Donaire can fill the Flip void and Khan is very popular amongst the celebrities apparently.

Everyone else aint shit... well I might throw berto in there if he can beat ortiz and beat some top level competition...he also is highly popular with the celebs and likeable.
mrchitown
I think Broner, Rios, Donaire, Canelo (already a big draw), Alexander (if he can string together good performances) can potentially be that next wave of PPV stars. But the one who I think can breakthrough and become a PPV star is Andre Ward. He has the personality, the skills. He's a total package.
Cshel86
QUOTE (karmine20 @ Mar 22 2012, 04:54 PM) *
I wish people would stop mentioning Ortiz and Berto as if they even have a chance of being a PPV king when they arenít even in the elite category. You only even talk about them because they had one of the most entertaining matches in a while.

Wanna know why they has one of the most entertaining fights in a while?...for starters, probably because they were matched against each other. Second, they both had something to fight for...Berto had to remain undefeated, and that was Ortiz' last straw at significance.

So yes, out of the two, I'll give it to Ortiz, more so than Berto. I believe that he will do decent numbers in the future (if matched correctly)...

QUOTE (JammyJam @ Mar 22 2012, 04:56 PM) *
I 'd have to say that Canelo and JCC jr have the best shot, just because of their following. They are also taking the easy road to the top while becoming household names. I mean anyone who has watched the last few Mayweather PPVs has now seen Canelo and that only serves to build his name.

I think Donaire and Khan also have good chances of being ppv kings just because Donaire can fill the Flip void and Khan is very popular amongst the celebrities apparently.

Canelo sells big, but he has to get past Shane on May 5th, then people will really start talking. Khan has a pretty good shot, if he can stop fighting like an amateur. Donaire...pretty good fighter, but he will NEVER fill that Filipino void after Manny. He will lucky if he's mentioned in the same sentence as Manny after he retires.

QUOTE (mrchitown @ Mar 22 2012, 07:05 PM) *
But the one who I think can breakthrough and become a PPV star is Andre Ward. He has the personality, the skills. He's a total package.

He's the total package in the ring, but image-wise, his team has some heavy lifting to do.
jvo1800
Broner HANDS DOWN......

Reason #1 Lots and lots of personality which equals ticket sales

Reason #2 He is a half ass decent fighter who is only gonna get better

Reason #3 He maintains his work ethic as well as his side show activities

Reason #4 He's a small fighter so he's right in the thick of things to whereas he can fight the better fighters out there which are at the smaller divisions

Reason #5 Fans are gonna wanna pay to see him whether its due to being a fan or just being tired of his arrogance and hoping he gets knocked out

Cshel86
QUOTE (jvo1800 @ Mar 22 2012, 08:18 PM) *
Reason #2 He is a half ass decent fighter who is only gonna get better

Oxymoron perhaps???
jvo1800
QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Mar 22 2012, 09:50 PM) *
Oxymoron perhaps???

ummmm it appears to be, but not intended to be
Cshel86
QUOTE (jvo1800 @ Mar 22 2012, 10:28 PM) *
ummmm it appears to be, but not intended to be

laugh.gif I figured that...
Gambit808
I heard the Rios-Abril is CO-Headlining with Marquez on july 14th PPV, i mean if your counting CO-Headliners i guess you can also count the Alverez-Mosley fight also.
Cshel86
QUOTE (Gambit808 @ Mar 22 2012, 10:47 PM) *
I heard the Rios-Abril is CO-Headlining with Marquez on july 14th PPV, i mean if your counting CO-Headliners i guess you can also count the Alverez-Mosley fight also.

Damn, I thought the Rios fight was the main event. I could be wrong, but I would much rather it be the main event. Guess Im just a fan of the Mexican National anthem, and Im damn sure we wont hear it, if the Marquez fight is the main event.

Though JMM's bout will be in Mexico, HBO will more than likely be the secondary commentary for that bout. Co-headlining is a great start though...I have bothing against it.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.