Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: In Which Fight Did Mayweather Display...
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
BoxingFan86
In which fight did Mayweather display his best defense? Technically speakin', his fight against Marquez tops the list, but as far as watchin' the defense in action (and actually bein' entertained by it) goes, I'd have to say it's a toss-up between his fight against Jesus Chavez or his fight against Phillip Ndou. Those fights were truly amazin'.
Kratza
I think the shane mosely to be honest
leonthegee
QUOTE (BoxingFan86 @ Mar 22 2012, 09:28 PM) *
In which fight did Mayweather display his best defense? Technically speakin', his fight against Marquez tops the list, but as far as watchin' the defense in action (and actually bein' entertained by it) goes, I'd have to say it's a toss-up between his fight against Jesus Chavez or his fight against Phillip Ndou. Those fights were truly amazin'.

Ndou for sure. He was taller, good record, great ko %. Floyd was so good Jim Lampley had to start calling punches for Ndou that wasnt there.
Franchize
QUOTE (leonthegee @ Mar 23 2012, 07:16 AM) *
Ndou for sure. He was taller, good record, great ko %. Floyd was so good Jim Lampley had to start calling punches for Ndou that wasnt there.

Lol @ Lampley. Yea I'd have to say it was a mix between the Ndou fight and the Marquez fight. There was a point in the Marquez fight where I thought he wasn't going to land a punch in some of the rounds. Marquez was P4P #2 in the world and at one point I think his connect % was like 8. This is a future HOFer we're talking about. I would throw Baldomir in there too but that is probably the only Mayweather fight where I was lactually bored. Baldomir was sooooooo sloooooooow. Which is why I laugh when I here people say Floyd is scared to fight Magarito.
neophyte7

LMAO...
Allmenjoi8
Diego Corrales, Zab Judah (he got knocked early but the way he adjusted was amazing), Gatti ( could not hit him), and Justin Juuko, and Carlos Rios.

Now his toughest fight hands down Emmanuel Burton! That guy kept coming forward.
BoxingFan86

laugh.gif

QUOTE (Franchize @ Mar 23 2012, 09:15 AM) *
Lol @ Lampley. Yea I'd have to say it was a mix between the Ndou fight and the Marquez fight. There was a point in the Marquez fight where I thought he wasn't going to land a punch in some of the rounds. Marquez was P4P #2 in the world and at one point I think his connect % was like 8. This is a future HOFer we're talking about. I would throw Baldomir in there too but that is probably the only Mayweather fight where I was lactually bored. Baldomir was sooooooo sloooooooow. Which is why I laugh when I here people say Floyd is scared to fight Magarito.

The Marquez fight goes without question, but the performance Mayweather put on against Jesus Chavez is just ridiculous (in a good way). The shoulder roll defense was Grade A, the accurate counters, the toe-to-toe attacks, etc... The fight was just beautiful. For those of you that missed it, here are some highlights from that fight.

Check out the defense, especially when he was on the ropes. It's an amazin' thing to see.
Cshel86
Aside from the above mentioned bouts, I liked his defense in the Hector Arroyo and the Henry Bruseles fights...though he was mostly offensive in those fights.
mrwigi
I would have to say the Corrales fight. I cant remember Diego landing a single flush significant punch.
BoxingFan86
QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Mar 23 2012, 11:12 AM) *
Aside from the above mentioned bouts, I liked his defense in the Hector Arroyo and the Henry Bruseles fights...though he was mostly offensive in those fights.

That's why I just shake my head when I hear people (mainly casual boxin' fans) say shit like, "Mayweather can't press the attack. He doesn't have any offense." After what Floyd did to Gatti, you'd think the casual boxin' fans would no longer use that "he has no offense" argument, but nope... their ignorance prevails. Versatility is an great attribute to have, but most ignorant people (fans in this case) don't know anything about that. Hell, I've seen Mayweather fight in a southpaw stance before and land the left better than most natural southpaws. If that's not offensive versatility, then I don't know what is.
Franchize
You wnna talk about commentators making up phantom landed punches? Listen to the commentary during the Chavez fight. They were making it seem like Floyd was losing lol I've never seen one man (Chavez) get hit with so many uppercuts in my life.
BoxingFan86
QUOTE (Franchize @ Mar 23 2012, 11:42 AM) *
You wnna talk about commentators making up phantom landed punches? Listen to the commentary during the Chavez fight. They were making it seem like Floyd was losing lol I've never seen one man (Chavez) get hit with so many uppercuts in my life.

Don't even get me started on that. Re-visitin' this fight kinda reminds me of Jim Lampley's unwarranted "BANG!!! BANG!!! BANG!!! BANG!!!" moment durin' the Pacquiao-Clottey fight laugh.gif .
Cshel86
QUOTE (BoxingFan86 @ Mar 23 2012, 11:56 AM) *
Don't even get me started on that. Re-visitin' this fight kinda reminds me of Jim Lampley's unwarranted "BANG!!! BANG!!! BANG!!! BANG!!!" moment durin' the Pacquiao-Clottey fight laugh.gif .

Oh God...let's not forget how he made Pacquiao appear as if he had the uncanny ability to clone himself in the last Marquez fight. He basically had us thinking that Pacquiao could be in about 4 places in one breath. laugh.gif
mitukczuk
To me, Mayweather Marquez is the best display of defense EVER. Shit was ridiculous !!! Chavez fight is one of the future classics in my book. Its in my TOP 5 of all fighs I have seen.
BoxingFan86
QUOTE (Franchize @ Mar 23 2012, 11:42 AM) *

Imagine if that fight were broadcasted on the radio only. We'd think Mayweather was in danger of losin' the fight by a landslide laugh.gif .

QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Mar 23 2012, 12:00 PM) *
Oh God...let's not forget how he made Pacquiao appear as if he had the uncanny ability to clone himself in the last Marquez fight. He basically had us thinking that Pacquiao could be in about 4 places in one breath. laugh.gif

laugh.gif

QUOTE (mitukczuk @ Mar 23 2012, 12:54 PM) *
To me, Mayweather Marquez is the best display of defense EVER. Shit was ridiculous !!! Chavez fight is one of the future classics in my book. Its in my TOP 5 of all fighs I have seen.

Yeah, that's why I didn't even have to mention that 1, really. We all know that's #1. Up until that point, I had never seen anything like it.
flazi
the Ndou fight for me. I hated mayweather until that fight. Had to give the boy his respect and then i became a fan. that pullback counter 3 right hands that dropped Ndou was a thing of beauty.
BoxingFan86
QUOTE (flazi @ Mar 23 2012, 03:07 PM) *
the Ndou fight for me. I hated mayweather until that fight. Had to give the boy his respect and then i became a fan. that pullback counter 3 right hands that dropped Ndou was a thing of beauty.

That's exactly how I was when it came to Kelly Pavlik. I was just an observer (not yet a fan), 'til he bodied my boy, Jermain Taylor. I haaaaaaated that shit, plus I had money on that fight, which made me hate Pavlik even more. It's funny, 'cause he made me hate him, respect his fight game, and become a fan all at once.
leonthegee
I forgot about the Hatton fight. Floyd showed tremendous defense and counter punching under pressure in that fight. Being able to out fight a brawler on the inside and stay discipline enough to keep his defense tight.
checkleft
My personal favorite is the dlh fight, he landed a lot of short counters on the inside that nearly knocked dlh down a few times that the judges obviously missed.

Aside from that the ndou Jesus chavez and marquez are up there.

To me the mosley fight should be ranked up there, anyone else that would have taken those shots would not have caught the punch and held on. He also kept his legs and balance to keep himself up when anyone else's knee would have touched. And after that he showed his cat like reflexes and countering ability and didn't get tagged with anything of remote significance.
BigDDatHomey
QUOTE (mrwigi @ Mar 23 2012, 10:14 AM) *
I would have to say the Corrales fight. I cant remember Diego landing a single flush significant punch.

I think he was blazing fast in the Corrales fight but his best defensive was Marquez.

I don't no how Floyd's hands took all that punishment from Chavez's chin.
BoxingFan86
QUOTE (checkleft @ Mar 23 2012, 03:49 PM) *
My personal favorite is the dlh fight, he landed a lot of short counters on the inside that nearly knocked dlh down a few times that the judges obviously missed.

Aside from that the ndou Jesus chavez and marquez are up there.

To me the mosley fight should be ranked up there, anyone else that would have taken those shots would not have caught the punch and held on. He also kept his legs and balance to keep himself up when anyone else's knee would have touched. And after that he showed his cat like reflexes and countering ability and didn't get tagged with anything of remote significance.

Yeah, he kept his composure and didn't fold under the pressure. If anyone else were in his shoes, I believe they would've went down. I've only seen Mayweather go down twice in his entire career. 1 was when he broke his hand in a fight, so he voluntarily took a knee and the other time was when he got cleanly-countered by Judah and his glove touched the canvas, but it wasn't ruled as a knock down, although it should've been since it happened as a result of a punch. Mayweather was off-balance, but the punch is still what made his glove touch the canvas. That was poor officiatin'.
Run and Gun Game Calls
QUOTE (mitukczuk @ Mar 23 2012, 02:54 PM) *

it was very nice, but to me mayweathers best display of defense was in the zab fight, zab is fast and has real power. ignore zabs lack of defense, we are talking about floyds, and zabs inability to mount any serious sustained offense was impressive.

As for best defensive effort of all time, go watch roy jones v/s pazziena rd 6. Paz didnt land a single punch ( first time in compubox history) Also watch Jones fight v/s glen kelly. Jones had his own defensive style based on his athletic ability, but the man went years without hardly ever being touched. It was brilliant.
neophyte7
In watching the Chavez fight.. I must add mayweather has been denigrated for running... not being exciting.. Chavez was bringing it and Floyd beat him down.. no running.. pure banging... Great to watch.. one of the best of all times
checkleft
QUOTE (Run and Gun Game Calls @ Mar 24 2012, 08:31 AM) *
it was very nice, but to me mayweathers best display of defense was in the zab fight, zab is fast and has real power. ignore zabs lack of defense, we are talking about floyds, and zabs inability to mount any serious sustained offense was impressive.

As for best defensive effort of all time, go watch roy jones v/s pazziena rd 6. Paz didnt land a single punch ( first time in compubox history) Also watch Jones fight v/s glen kelly. Jones had his own defensive style based on his athletic ability, but the man went years without hardly ever being touched. It was brilliant.

It's a rarity to see this but I've seen it almost happen twice already. I think in the Martinez macklin fight macklin only landed like one punch in one of the rounds and in the Floyd marquez fight it almost happened.

But with Roy it must have been scary to have a guy with those defensive reflexes with the ability to triple up any punch with ease
BoxingFan86
QUOTE (Run and Gun Game Calls @ Mar 24 2012, 08:31 AM) *

QUOTE (checkleft @ Mar 24 2012, 12:29 PM) *
It's a rarity to see this but I've seen it almost happen twice already. I think in the Martinez macklin fight macklin only landed like one punch in one of the rounds and in the Floyd marquez fight it almost happened.

But with Roy it must have been scary to have a guy with those defensive reflexes with the ability to triple up any punch with ease

I sort of agree, but personally, I don't think Roy was really defensive. He was just very elusive kinda like Pernell Whitaker, a guy that was both elusive and defensive. That's why Floyd reminds me of him so much. They're both elusive and defensive. On the other hand, Roy is just elusive, but he was 1 of the best at bein' elusive. I get the point you guys made, though.
Run and Gun Game Calls
watch roys old fights, aside from being so quick you couldnt touch him, he was a master of catching your punches in the air. Case in point, The James Toney fight. Toney had the same type of defense floyd employees, big power and was very fast. Roy was just better, Toney couldnt get to him to hurt him
BoxingEinstein

I think Judah fight showed Floyd's defense at his best. He went up against a opponent who had KO power, had fast hands, and could genuinely move. Mayweather allowed Judah to win the beginning rounds of the fight to adapt to Judah. After being KD he bounced back and started to counter Judah's speed by trapping Judah with body shots and over the top sharp right hands. It was great display of defense against a opponent who was just as fast if not faster and showed Mayweather can conquer even through adversity.

I would put his fight in Gatti, Corrales, Mosley and Ndou also.
sduck
Best display of defense - JMM, Carlos Baldomir
Best display of offensive - Arturo Gatti, Emmanuel Augustus
Best display of boxing - Tony Pep, Diego Corrales
Best display of a technician - Ricky Hatton, Shane Mosley
mgrover
i think his best offense was the ortiz fight, he was walking ortiz down before all the headbutt. and he was consistently landing clean that right hand constantly found its target. i think his defense really showed in the hatton fight against a guy who never stopped coming, i mean marquez was bloated and obviously isnt used to being the aggressor, and mosley spent the fight looking for that one big punch like a fool.
daprofessor
when u take into consideration that jmm is a counterpuncher more so than an aggressive come forward guy....i have to go with floyds performance against chavez for his greatest display of defense. 2nd best maybe against jlc 2 or hatton. corrales wasn't himself in that fight...so he really didn't test floyds defense imo. brusselles and ndou don't register because neither were on the level of the previous mentioned fighters.

as for rjj's "brilliant performance" against paz. i can't sign off on that because paz was a lightweight waaaaay past his prime and best fighting weight and an accident that almost ended his career. glen who?

Franchize
QUOTE (daprofessor @ Mar 26 2012, 09:44 PM) *
when u take into consideration that jmm is a counterpuncher more so than an aggressive come forward guy....i have to go with floyds performance against chavez for his greatest display of defense. 2nd best maybe against jlc 2 or hatton. corrales wasn't himself in that fight...so he really didn't test floyds defense imo. brusselles and ndou don't register because neither were on the level of the previous mentioned fighters.

as for rjj's "brilliant performance" against paz. i can't sign off on that because paz was a lightweight waaaaay past his prime and best fighting weight and an accident that almost ended his career. glen who?

Was Corrales not himself maybe because Floyd beat it out of him? lol

R.I.P. Corrales of course
BoxingFan86
QUOTE (Franchize @ Mar 27 2012, 08:45 AM) *

Some people say it was a result of outside distractions. When it comes to discreditin' Floyd as a dominant force, any excuse will do, I suppose.
daprofessor
QUOTE (Franchize @ Mar 27 2012, 07:45 AM) *

that fight wasn't a brilliant display of defense by floyd...it was a brilliant display of his offense if anything. i've heard rumors that they withdrew blood from him to make weight and replaced it afterwards. not sure how true those rumors are...but he did nothing but follow floyd around in that fight.
daprofessor
QUOTE (BoxingFan86 @ Mar 27 2012, 02:33 PM) *
Some people say it was a result of outside distractions. When it comes to discreditin' Floyd as a dominant force, any excuse will do, I suppose.

it's not an attempt to discredit floyd. it's taking things into consideration....such as floyds bad shoulder in the first fight with jose luis castillo. that isn't taking anything away from jlc...it's just a contributing factor.
BoxingFan86
QUOTE (daprofessor @ Mar 27 2012, 04:47 PM) *
it's not an attempt to discredit floyd. it's taking things into consideration....such as floyds bad shoulder in the first fight with jose luis castillo. that isn't taking anything away from jlc...it's just a contributing factor.

Outside distractions (mental) and physical distractions are 2 different things, though. The mental part shouldn't have been a factor to begin with.
daprofessor
QUOTE (BoxingFan86 @ Mar 28 2012, 06:24 PM) *
Outside distractions (mental) and physical distractions are 2 different things, though. The mental part shouldn't have been a factor to begin with.

i thought i responded to this already? huh.gif

i never said it was mental. i think it was physical. as i mentioned in another post, i believe the story about him having trouble making weight. there was talk about him draining blood from his body to make weight...then replacing it. the other thing was he ate prior to stepping in the ring. that is a no-no and could have been a contributing factor. but again...floyd put on an offensive display in that fight...not a defensive display.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.