Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Molina-Kirkland Compuclinch, 118 (You Tube Video)
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
du365
Thanks to John Chavez at the Boxingtruth-

Behold this youtube video is not for the weak at heart, our beloved sport is being urinated on in the following video below;

Molina should be placed in cryofreeze for what he did last night.
mgrover
that shit was disgusting, but a lot of fighters do it, bradley, devon alexander vs maidana, bhop its just something thats been less and less enforced in recent years, since they think there fighting on the inside, but there really not.
checkleft
Dude, I was saying this about Alexander. Truth of the matter is deal with it. Hopkins does this to death, mayweather is also very good at the 1 punch clinch. If the other fighter don't like it punch out of it. Angulo punches out of it I've seem Bradley do it too.

The real story here is how molina was making kirkland look like shit because he's a freaking sucker for the right hand. If molina had a tad bit more power I have no doubt that kirkland would have been out of there way.earlier. this was a bad match up for him from the start, so don't blame the clinching
mgrover
am not blaming the result on it, kirtkland should of adjusted i just think it's bullshit that this is what the sport is about, sure fighters that never clinch when there hurt are just idiots taking damage that doesnt need to happen, but the growing number of fighters that do it is just bullshit, and damages the image of the sport when we get some snooze fests
Franchize
I have no problems with Molina doing it. I have problems with the referee not saying anything. Castillo, Hatton, Ward use this tactic successfully so I have no problems with them using it to their advantage. But when you're holding and not mounting an offense, that's when it gets to be a bit much. Molina was literally clamping down on Kirkland's arm, dragging him to the ropes, THEN deciding, hey...let me hit this guy. That doesn't belong in boxing.
Cshel86
I agree with Checkleft, in regards to Kirkland just being a sucker for a right hand. Had Molina had more pop, Kirkland would have been on his ass or it would've forced him to retaliate with his own shots (out of urgency and the fact that he could easily be floored if he takes another punch from Carlos).

The saddest part is, Kirkland had this naive sense of confidence in the ref, hoping that he would warn Molina about clinching and leading with his head. Oh yeah, that leading with the head BS was dead obvious.

So yes, the clinches pissed me off, but Kirkland's inability to catch Molina coming in, was even more annoying. I mean seriously, Molina would come in several times with his head down, but that slow ass uppercut by James was off.

Dude (James) just seems too damn muscular, and it apparently killed his chances of landing a meaningful punch, along with the fact that his timing was nonexistent. Clinching or not...Molina was busy as shit, and the look on Kirkland's face told the story. The flow of the match was equivalent to a drunk man chasing a mouse in a dim lit room laugh.gif
Franchize
QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Mar 26 2012, 09:48 AM) *
I agree with Checkleft, in regards to Kirkland just being a sucker for a right hand. Had Molina had more pop, Kirkland would have been on his ass or it would've forced him to retaliate with his own shots (out of urgency and the fact that he could easily be floored if he takes another punch from Carlos).

The saddest part is, Kirkland had this naive sense of confidence in the ref, hoping that he would warn Molina about clinching and leading with his head. Oh yeah, that leading with the head BS was dead obvious.

So yes, the clinches pissed me off, but Kirkland's inability to catch Molina coming in, was even more annoying. I mean seriously, Molina would come in several times with his head down, but that slow ass uppercut by James was off.

Dude (James) just seems too damn muscular, and it apparently killed his chances of landing a meaningful punch, along with the fact that his timing was nonexistent. Clinching or not...Molina was busy as shit, and the look on Kirkland's face told the story. The flow of the match was equivalent to a drunk man chasing a mouse in a dim lit room laugh.gif

I didn't think it was muscles. He actually looked bigger to me in the Angulo fight. I thought he came out too dry. No type of sweat or water on him. He looked drained. He wasn't bending his knees and he was walking on his heels like a tired fighter from round 1. That being said, in my opinion, his biggest weakness that night was Anne Wolf's strategy. Why she decided to pick the night he's in there with a slick fighter to start trying to out box people is beyond me. Then, her exclamation that he was "slick as hell" midway thru the fight, not only engraged me but seemed to have Kirkland looking like "no shit. now what should I do?"
bnoles4life
QUOTE (Franchize @ Mar 26 2012, 09:54 AM) *
I didn't think it was muscles. He actually looked bigger to me in the Angulo fight. I thought he came out too dry. No type of sweat or water on him. He looked drained. He wasn't bending his knees and he was walking on his heels like a tired fighter from round 1. That being said, in my opinion, his biggest weakness that night was Anne Wolf's strategy. Why she decided to pick the night he's in there with a slick fighter to start trying to out box people is beyond me. Then, her exclamation that he was "slick as hell" midway thru the fight, not only engraged me but seemed to have Kirkland looking like "no shit. now what should I do?"

I agree...he was dry as hell. It made me think, "Did he just get outta a cab?" I, too, found it idiotic a brawler chose to attempt to out box a boxer. I've always had a fundamental problem of guys who clinch in order to NOT get hit. I understand if you get "rocked" a clinch for survival, but you start in Rd. 1? GTFOH!!! I remember watching Molina clinch and move Kirkland LITERALLY across the ring and the ref didn't do shit. Which is really surprising when I read Danny's FB post about Molina neutralized Kirkland's offense. It was even more surprising when I remembered how he and many on this board co-signed the ref penalizing Khan for pushing during his fight w/ Peterson. IMO, they're both BS strategies to use.
Cshel86
QUOTE (Franchize @ Mar 26 2012, 09:54 AM) *

Dude is just too damn big to be boxing anyway, and of course thats just my opinion. I mean Holyfield is muscular as all get-out, but his boxing skills make up for it. This clearly isn't the case for James, and I've NEVER considered him to be a good boxer, so yes that "boxing" strategy was poo poo.

The only time James appears to be boxing well, is when he already has his opponent hurt (especially in the Angulo fight). Who doesn't have a great jab, head movement, footwork, etc. when their opponent is on queer street for consecutive rounds?

It's a scary thought when I still hear people making these dream matches that involve Kirkland and somebody near an elite status (shot or not), based off the strength of his punching power and lawn mower fighting style..after he hurts you.

We all saw how James fights when he cant land that "big punch", and Wolfe's strategy serve no purpose for him at all...it's like he was new to the whole idea of boxing.

QUOTE (bnoles4life @ Mar 26 2012, 10:17 AM) *
It made me think, "Did he just get outta a cab?"

As flat-footed as he was, I was thinking, "Did he just get outta a cab, after a 2-for-1 special at the bar?" Dude's had platypus feet the whole time, but he fights like that anyway. As big as he is, Im sure that bouncing around on his toes would tire him out quicker than the average fighter.
wolterb
I'm more a Molina fan than I am Kirkland, so that is my bias.

But I thought Molina's strategy was brilliant. He totally took Kirkland out of his game plan and fought a momentum fighter just like you should: throw punches just before your opponent is going to, clinch to prevent retaliation and cause fatigue, wash - rinse - repeat and the brawler is gonna get real frustrated.

With that said, considering the front page article suggesting Kirkland was dehydrated, Molina might not be so successful in a potential rematch. Especially if a referee controls the fight and is not so indifferent to holding.
Cshel86
Kirkland's inability to adjust was terribly obvious, and the fact that Molina was so busy, also posed as a nightmare for him. He can come back and knock Molina out in a round or two in the rematch, but the damage is done.

It sort of reminds me of how Quintana outworked and beat P. Williams in their first fight, but Paul came back and knocked him out in the rematch. The damage was already done over the course of those rounds.

Its rough to watch a guuy get outworked and outsmarted for that many rounds, and not feel compelled to question their ability to make adjustments. Excessive clinching/clamping or not, other fighters can remix what Carlos did, and have better success at beating James.
Cheesey1
Yup, the clinching is b.s. and could be called cowardly, but as has been said, Kirkland didn't make any material adjustments in response to it in the earlier rounds.
I can understand the criticisms around trying to get a brawler to out-box a boxer, but if he had made the necessary adjustments I think that he could've been succesful enough with boxing and brawling, because of the way Molina was fighting. As mentioned already, Kirkland didn't try to catch Molina with uppercuts when he was coming in or fight off the back foot. Ostensibly, Kirkland was the stronger puncher and could have given himself more breathing room with a faster jab with purpose.
Let's see what he looks like in his next outing. Hopefully it'll be against Molina again.
BoxingEinstein

Kirkland clearly was shut out by the better boxer of the two. I'm still appalled at the fact that the ref didn't deduct any points from Molina's sloppy clinches and illegal holding of Kirkland's arms while punching him. Molina even threw his whole body weight on Kirkland when Kirkland was pressing on the attack much better in the 9th and 10th rounds. It's safe to say James didn't smarten up about Molina's clinching until the end the of the 9th round and that really showed his intelligence. I mean the man is constantly smothering you whenever you try to throw punches and punches you almost every time you both break, yet you don't think to push him off you not until late in the fight. SMH! If they rematch I believe Kirkland will stop Molina next time around since he NOW knows that what Molina's game plan will be and all he has to do is pick where he left off in the 5th and 10th round. Just shove off Molina every time he tries to clinch and throw hooks to the body and head. The DQ was stupid and that ref should be suspended for that horrendous officiating. This is why boxing is getting a bad vibe from around the world and mainstream. Houston we have a problem indeed and it needs to be fixed NOW!
daprofessor
i was thoroughly impressed with molina. he used every trick in the book and basically shut out the one-dimensional kirkland. i think kirkland is who he is...and he may be able to make adjustments in a rematch but i won't be at all surprised if molina switches up the game plan and still manages to beat him. that guy has great understanding of boxing for someone with so little experience. he did hold here and there...but he was smothering for the most part. that is not illegal. it's part of the game and he used it strategically to his advantage. molina exposed several flaws in kirklands style. plenty of ppl will take advantage of those flaws in the future if they are smart enough to understand them. kirkland will be done shortly. molina still has a future.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.