Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: FLOYD IS SPARRING AND THEY'RE BROADCASTING IT !
FightHype Community > OTHER HYPE > Archives
Pages: 1, 2
Franchize
Floyd is in tremendous shape. You could tell he could go about 15 more rounds. Henry was tired at the end and you could tell he was fighting out of character. Thats the great thing about conditioning. When fighters get tired or hurt they do things to compensate that are outside of their gameplan. Cotto does this a lot. Contrary to most people's belief, I think Cotto is better at 147. I just don't think he wants to put in the work in his down time to stay that weight. Im curious to see what happens in the later rounds of the fight. If it gets to the 7th or 8th, and those hands start getting heavy. How's Cotto gonna respond when Floyd is slipping punches and is fresh as a daisy. I can't wait for this fight. I have a feeling it's going to be a great one.
daprofessor
at best, omar is a poor man's cotto. while i believe its good work for floyd, cotto brings a lot to the table in the form of punch selection that i don't believe henry is capable of. floyd looks the way he always does...slick and fast. he'll be razor sharp come fight time. so will cotto. this should be interesting. i get the feeling cotto will make it more of a fight than everyone thinks.
Cshel86
QUOTE (daprofessor @ Mar 29 2012, 01:37 PM) *
he'll be razor sharp come fight time. so will cotto. this should be interesting. i get the feeling cotto will make it more of a fight than everyone thinks.

I sort of want to see them with 8oz gloves now. I say that because I want to see some vintage Cotto. Those 10 oz gloves make his hands heavy, which ultimately makes him appear to look slow. His hands use to fly with those 8 oz gloves!
Franchize
QUOTE (daprofessor @ Mar 29 2012, 01:37 PM) *
at best, omar is a poor man's cotto. while i believe its good work for floyd, cotto brings a lot to the table in the form of punch selection that i don't believe henry is capable of. floyd looks the way he always does...slick and fast. he'll be razor sharp come fight time. so will cotto. this should be interesting. i get the feeling cotto will make it more of a fight than everyone thinks.

You know real boxing fans not giving Cotto a shot? Because I sure don't. Cotto certainly has a shot to win. I just think he better figure it out in the 1st 4 rounds because if he doesn't... black eye.gif
daprofessor
QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Mar 29 2012, 01:40 PM) *
I sort of want to see them with 8oz gloves now. I say that because I want to see some vintage Cotto. Those 10 oz gloves make his hands heavy, which ultimately makes him appear to look slow. His hands use to fly with those 8 oz gloves!

i think there's two sides to the coin on the 8oz glove issue. one favors mayweather because he's such sharp shooter and i think he will be able to bust up cotto's face. the other is that cotto is very heavy handed and he may be able to do some serious damage where others have failed. he isn't the type to wait for an opening, he creates them by hitting arms, shoulders, whatever. all i know is i'm extremely excited to see this fight. i can't wait!!!
daprofessor
QUOTE (Franchize @ Mar 29 2012, 01:40 PM) *
You know real boxing fans not giving Cotto a shot? Because I sure don't. Cotto certainly has a shot to win. I just think he better figure it out in the 1st 4 rounds because if he doesn't... black eye.gif

i hear what u are saying...but i don't think floyds style is the type to make cotto fade. he doesn't force exchanges too much so he'll give cotto plenty opportunity to rest. cotto isn't the type of fighter to do the same shit over and over again mindlessly. he's a thinking fighter. he also carries his power late into the fight at this weight. i think his chances look promising.
Cshel86
QUOTE (daprofessor @ Mar 29 2012, 01:53 PM) *
i think there's two sides to the coin on the 8oz glove issue. one favors mayweather because he's such sharp shooter and i think he will be able to bust up cotto's face. the other is that cotto is very heavy handed and he may be able to do some serious damage where others have failed. he isn't the type to wait for an opening, he creates them by hitting arms, shoulders, whatever. all i know is i'm extremely excited to see this fight. i can't wait!!!

This post alone, further ignites my excitement for this fight! I wanna see the Cotto that fought Shane back in '07!
wolterb
QUOTE (daprofessor @ Mar 29 2012, 01:57 PM) *
i hear what u are saying...but i don't think floyds style is the type to make cotto fade. he doesn't force exchanges too much so he'll give cotto plenty opportunity to rest. cotto isn't the type of fighter to do the same shit over and over again mindlessly. he's a thinking fighter. he also carries his power late into the fight at this weight. i think his chances look promising.

I agree. To me, Mayweather's biggest advantage is faster hands. I don't think he can out-out-class Cotto like he has other opponents. Cotto has the temperament to compete and maintain focus.

Also, I know sparring can only tell so much...but I thought the only advantage to be discerned from the session for Mayweather is his stamina. A few times Henry caught him as he was trying to duck and evade...a trait that tips the scales in Mayweather's advantage because he usually does not get hit when he knows something is coming. If Mayweather can't rely on that anymore, there may be more opportunities for his opponents to edge out rounds. But the stamina is obviously still there. So even if Cotto scoops up the first half of the fight Mayweather could turn the tables in the championship rounds.
flazi
cotto has almost a 0 chance to win. His power was never great against the good to great competition and he is slow. You can't throw combo's at mayweather like some people think he will, mayweather won't be there and soon as cotto throws 1 and misses he will get punished for it. Cotto gets outboxed, outfoxed and busted up. he may win 1 or 2 rounds thats it.
daprofessor
QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Mar 29 2012, 02:06 PM) *
This post alone, further ignites my excitement for this fight! I wanna see the Cotto that fought Shane back in '07!

thumbsup_anim.gif
daprofessor
QUOTE (wolterb @ Mar 29 2012, 03:32 PM) *
I agree. To me, Mayweather's biggest advantage is faster hands. I don't think he can out-out-class Cotto like he has other opponents. Cotto has the temperament to compete and maintain focus.

Also, I know sparring can only tell so much...but I thought the only advantage to be discerned from the session for Mayweather is his stamina. A few times Henry caught him as he was trying to duck and evade...a trait that tips the scales in Mayweather's advantage because he usually does not get hit when he knows something is coming. If Mayweather can't rely on that anymore, there may be more opportunities for his opponents to edge out rounds. But the stamina is obviously still there. So even if Cotto scoops up the first half of the fight Mayweather could turn the tables in the championship rounds.

i can't put much stock into the sparring because floyd is sparring with a friend. i don't expect omar to push it too much. also, they are filming. i seriously doubt either was going all out. it's just a show to build up more interest for the bout. come fight time...the real sparring won't be seen by the public.
wolterb
Good point. I was not privy to Henry being Mayweather's buddy. That changes things, especially when I consider what you said, that this sparring was specifically for publicity
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.