Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Floyd vs Cotto Article
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
iKeNjiro
Have been busy lately with my family and all....but I was on this site looking for new boxing videos to watch online while on the train
and saw this article on the side with the link and decide to read it. It dates back to February but I was wondering you guys thoughts on this article, seems interesting and definitely a good read.

Look forward to the feedback...

Is Floyd Mayweather Being Forced To Fight Miguel Cotto?
February 28th, 2012

By: Scoop Malinowski

Floyd Mayweather did not want to fight Miguel Cotto in 2008, when it was prime time for the two unbeaten welterweights to meet in a unification clash of titans.
Mayweather evaded the fight by blaming Cotto’s pay-per-view numbers, claiming Cotto “knows he can’t beat me” while mocking him as a “punching bag.” When Larry Merchant asked Floyd on HBO about fighting Cotto, Floyd responded strangely, saying, “I will retire from boxing, boxing won’t retire me.” On top of that, a prominent HBO employee told me in 2008, with clear frustration that Floyd would never fight Cotto and there was no chance of the superfight ever happening. It was obvious to me, the source was annoyed by Mayweather’s reluctance and the protective guardianship and influence of his advisor Al Haymon over HBO.
Fast forward to 2012. At Monday’s Puerto Rico press conference announcing the Mayweather-Cotto fight, Mayweather is singing a different tune now. There was no mention about Cotto’s pay-per-view numbers or disdainfully calling Cotto a “punching bag.” Instead, Floyd praised the WBA Super Welterweight champion: “He’s a solid and strong champion. He has been at the top for a long time. Cotto is a solid middleweight who knows the sport of boxing. I also know boxing. I always try to face the best (LOL). And he is one of the best in the sport.”
But there was something about Cotto that intimidated Floyd to avoid him in 2008. Despite his two losses to Manny Pacquiao and Antonio Margarito, Cotto is still a formidable, physical and very intelligent threat. Could it be possible that Floyd has been railroaded into fighting Cotto now?
Entirely so. Cotto left Top Rank and Bob Arum after beating Margarito in the rematch last December and is now a Golden Boy controlled fighter (We never heard Floyd ever mention Cotto as a possible opponent when Cotto was with Top Rank). Additionally, it’s widely believed that Golden Boy suffered poor numbers from the Mayweather-Ortiz fiasco fight, both at the live gate and pay-per-view totals which were never officially released by HBO. Arum said the numbers mentioned by Floyd via Fight hype and Golden Boy were fake and that he knows the real numbers.
Clearly, Golden Boy understands and accepts that Mayweather is now a declining attraction at age 35. And set-up fights against the likes of Victor Ortiz, Robert Guerrero or Erik Morales have the potential to be massive, colossal failures, not only in terms of money loss but also loss of the goodwill and credibility associated with the Golden Boy name and image. So Golden Boy needed to match Mayweather with a real threat this time (Martinez wouldn’t do because Sergio is too explosive, a lefty, and most importantly, Sergio is promoted by an outsider, Lou DiBella).
Of course, Golden Boy and Floyd’s advisor Al Haymon, who it is believed have a working business alliance, do not want to risk losing the luster and shine of Mayweather in a loss to a fighter they can’t control (Manny Pacquiao). That wouldn’t be a very smart business decision. When you own a fading, declining, aging “name” fighter, the objective is to keep all his fights in the family and when the defeat happens, it happens to one of your own, and thus all the starpower, prestige and prominence are transferred. This is what Don King did in the 90′s with Mike Tyson and why Evander Holyfield became the king of the sport when he KOed Tyson in 1996.
Mayweather’s demeaner at the Monday press conference in Puerto Rico seemed tired and passionless. There was a hollowness to his words, not the cocky, arrogant defiance we are accustomed to seeing. You got the sense Mayweather is simply a tool now, being used by the powers that be. He’s at the mercy of what they want to do with him. With his declining drawing powers, Floyd is no longer in position to handpick senior circuit set ups like Marquez, Mosley, Baldomir. The public just won’t buy it anymore, not in this down economy.
I don’t get the sense Floyd really wants to fight Cotto, he’s only there because he has to be. There’s no personal grudge by Floyd against Cotto, who is nothing short of a complete gentleman.
It’s the first time, Floyd seems to be getting tired of it all (“I don’t love boxing anymore because it’s not real like it used to be.”) He has to be weary of living the lie of maintaining the charade of ducking Pacquiao. Tired of behaving like an imbecile and making shock statements to get attention. The end seems near for Floyd Money Mayweather. I think Floyd Mayweather is about ready to exit this phase of his life and release the burden off his shoulders, so he can just be the simple and regular Floyd Mayweather Jr., who really isn’t a bad guy (fame and fortune can deform anybody). It’s not easy being the villain, having to deal with all the controversy and drama, just ask Mike Tyson who is at peace now and doesn’t have to live up to that image of being “The baddest man on the planet”).
And Golden Boy, which is going to control American boxing someday soon, is in prime position to prosper. If Cotto beats Floyd on May 5 in Las Vegas, all of Floyd’s starpower shifts to Cotto. And Golden Boy, in my opinion, will feel a lot more confident about risking Cotto vs. Pacquiao then Mayweather vs. Pacquiao. Cotto is confident and actually believes he can win the rematch vs. Manny. Golden Boy knows Cotto will never makes excuses to duck and dodge Pacquiao, like Mayweather has done for over two years. And Cotto is younger than Pacquiao. Most of all, in his mind, Cotto is not scared or afraid to suffer another loss, Cotto is every eager to inflict revenge on his former conqueror (Team Cotto sources have told me this).
With Floyd on the verge of losing the defamation lawsuit to Pacquiao, and unable to pay back his reported six figure debt to Don King, you get the sense Mayweather is not nearly as wealthy as he claims to be. Why would Mayweather need a go-to-guy like Al Haymon if he was his own man like he always says? Why would Floyd need to brag about his NBA and NFL winning wagers?
A former WBO Heavyweight champ once told me something I will never ever forget: “Boxing is 90% bluffs.”
With that bit of wisdom in mind, and all the other examples of circumstantial evidence, I believe Mayweather has been forced to fight Cotto by the powers that be and it’s very possible Cotto could prevail. And that a Cotto-Pacquiao rematch will be on the horizon for November 2012.
Let the criticism of this opinion begin!

mgrover
personally i thought the article took a different approach to things than how there usually done and i like it, but get ready for the abuse now...
duwdu
The "article" is not only uninteresting and unintelligent (as would be written by a Pacman servile,) it is a bad read... not worth the time, IMO.

P34c3
iKeNjiro
QUOTE (duwdu @ Apr 12 2012, 09:53 AM) *
The "article" is not only uninteresting and unintelligent (as would be written by a Pacman servile,) it is a bad read... not worth the time, IMO.

P34c3

Looooooool
Hey man I am a huge Floyd fan, and this article is clearly written by a Pacquiao fan.
But he made some interesting points, some...

Can't go into detail over my phone, but Floyd is going to destroy Cotto.
Then go on to fight Martinez or Alvarez an beat one of them.
He then maybe fights Pacquiao an retires 45-0 with 27ko's
daprofessor
scoop is a well known pactard. this is definitely a different point of view. i think he will soon find out that pac isn't all that he believes him to be when bradley beats him. i do believe cotto is going to give floyd a run for his money though.
dre98
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/tEVFNOOfKNw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

This video is exactly better than the original face off.......That article is bs.........Cotto is in the same position Mosley when he fought floyd
duwdu
QUOTE (daprofessor @ Apr 11 2012, 08:21 PM) *
scoop is a well known pactard. this is definitely a different point of view. i think he will soon find out that pac isn't all that he believes him to be when bradley beats him. i do believe cotto is going to give floyd a run for his money though.

Oops...didn't know that; I wouldn't have bothered making my above post if I'd been aware. Thanks.

P34c3
Cshel86
QUOTE (iKeNjiro @ Apr 11 2012, 08:58 PM) *
Then go on to fight Martinez or Alvarez an beat one of them.
He then maybe fights Pacquiao an retires 45-0 with 27ko's

So Floyd will retire undefeated??? Please dont tell me this is the case...
BigDDatHomey
QUOTE (daprofessor @ Apr 11 2012, 09:21 PM) *

That article was straight retarded.
Why would you need a go to guy...seriously? The friggin President of the United States, the most powerful country in the world has a go to guy...Warren Buffet has a go to guy......and so does the CEO of Coca Cola.....retarded moron article.

JammyJam
He makes a valid point in that Floyd is forced to fight Cotto. But I don't think anyone person is forcing him per say, I think demand is. He is running out of options for fights period, and when the opportunity to fight Cotto arose it presented the best money. I don't think he ever feared cotto, I just think he is a business man at the end of the day. Its all about the benjamins baby!
iKeNjiro
QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Apr 12 2012, 10:41 AM) *
So Floyd will retire undefeated??? Please dont tell me this is the case...

Hahahahahahhha at that 1st quote
move up an face Alvarez?

Any who yea I believe Floyd retires un-defeated
I also don't see Floyd fighting past 36
Thus the reason he is fighting more times a year.

This fall he will look for the pacquiao fight
if he gets it, and wins super easily or by KO, he'll retire

If that fight with Pacquiao isn't there, he'll fight Alvarez if he wins big
Or Martinez. If Alvarez loses I see Floyd going to the winner of Berto/Ortiz, or
fighting Khan if Khan wins very big.

Thats what two fights next year

Fall 2012
Early or Mid 2013
Fall 2013

Thickback
I couldn't finish the article because it's clear from the first sentence that this "writer" is anti-Mayweather. We get enough of that from sites like Boxingscene. I guess the writer forgets about Cotto being present when Mayweather embarrassed Gatti and the potential for a fight with Mayweather shrunk with every punch landed. These writers always neglect to mention the direct impact that Bob Arum has had in a lot of the most anticipated fights not materializing. 3 examples are Floyd/Manny..Gamboa/Lopez and Chavez/Martinez. With Mayweather, the list is long. We all wanted to see him face Cotto when he was undefeated, Marg when he was clobbering people and even Clottey. But it is well documented that Floyd called out all of the top boxers at the time and none answered his challenge. Those boxers are De La Hoya..Mosely and Tszyu. The best excuse came from mosley who "was going on vacation and getting his tooth fixed". Lastly, anytime a "writer" inserts (LOL) into a published piece of work, I am instantly disinterested because maturity is clearly not the "writer's" strong point.

I may have missed some good points that the "writer" made after his initial blast of hatred for mayweather but I couldn't read any more. So excuse my rant on a half read article.
iKeNjiro
QUOTE (Thickback @ Apr 12 2012, 08:33 PM) *
I couldn't finish the article because it's clear from the first sentence that this "writer" is anti-Mayweather. We get enough of that from sites like Boxingscene. I guess the writer forgets about Cotto being present when Mayweather embarrassed Gatti and the potential for a fight with Mayweather shrunk with every punch landed. These writers always neglect to mention the direct impact that Bob Arum has had in a lot of the most anticipated fights not materializing. 3 examples are Floyd/Manny..Gamboa/Lopez and Chavez/Martinez. With Mayweather, the list is long. We all wanted to see him face Cotto when he was undefeated, Marg when he was clobbering people and even Clottey. But it is well documented that Floyd called out all of the top boxers at the time and none answered his challenge. Those boxers are De La Hoya..Mosely and Tszyu. The best excuse came from mosley who "was going on vacation and getting his tooth fixed". Lastly, anytime a "writer" inserts (LOL) into a published piece of work, I am instantly disinterested because maturity is clearly not the "writer's" strong point.

I may have missed some good points that the "writer" made after his initial blast of hatred for mayweather but I couldn't read any more. So excuse my rant on a half read article.

+1
great post
BigFightFan
I just want to know why would Floyd borrow money from Don King? I guess the writer didn't realize Floyd addressed Ortiz as a young strong lion as well. This went beyond bias to straight hate. I like Al Hamon for putting more money in the fighters pocket, they really deserve it.
xxxxxx
I think this article was ridiculous. It was entertaining enough to finish reading, but I agree with very little of it. Mayweather has wanted Cotto for awhile now. Well before he "Retired" after the Hatton fight. Once he split from Top Rank it was gonna become almost impossible to make the fight with Cotto still under the Top Rank banner. Bob Arum don't like Mayweather and vice versa. They Can't work together period.
daprofessor
QUOTE (xxxxxx @ Apr 12 2012, 11:05 AM) *
I think this article was ridiculous. It was entertaining enough to finish reading, but I agree with very little of it. Mayweather has wanted Cotto for awhile now. Well before he "Retired" after the Hatton fight. Once he split from Top Rank it was gonna become almost impossible to make the fight with Cotto still under the Top Rank banner. Bob Arum don't like Mayweather and vice versa. They Can't work together period.

i think the best time for that fight to be made was after cotto/shane and floyd/hatton. floyd retired. there's no denying that.

a close look at floyds resume reveals some things that i find very telling...he's only defeated 2 undefeated fighters.

now that cotto has 2 losses...the fight is being made. critics will have easy ammo in this and floyd will not get much credit for beating a man who has been beaten badly, twice. had he beat cotto after the hatton fight...it would have been difficult to criticize then and would have raised his standing greatly imo.
wolterb
QUOTE (Thickback @ Apr 12 2012, 07:33 AM) *

Those were my thoughts when I read it. It is nice to get another perspective but it seems wherever you go the writing on mayweather or pacquiao is incredibly biased. So now i'm wondering: Is the notion that Mayweather could not make the "dream" fights because of politics a biased notion? Does anyone have any clear cut, evidence based answers to that?

I frequent fighthype because the reporting appears more objective than other sites, but i have heard the site being criticized for doing the same thing we see in this article.

Either way, I don't mind reading differing perspective so I appreciated the read iKeNjiro

And i completely agree about the "LOL"...that shit is completely distracting in what is supposed to be a legitimate article and makes anything stated suspect.
daprofessor
QUOTE (wolterb @ Apr 12 2012, 03:01 PM) *
Those were my thoughts when I read it. It is nice to get another perspective but it seems wherever you go the writing on mayweather or pacquiao is incredibly biased. So now i'm wondering: Is the notion that Mayweather could not make the "dream" fights because of politics a biased notion? Does anyone have any clear cut, evidence based answers to that?

I frequent fighthype because the reporting appears more objective than other sites, but i have heard the site being criticized for doing the same thing we see in this article.

Either way, I don't mind reading differing perspective so I appreciated the read iKeNjiro

And i completely agree about the "LOL"...that shit is completely distracting in what is supposed to be a legitimate article and makes anything stated suspect.

i too come here because the reporting seems to be a bit more objective than the others...but that's not really saying much. bias is something everyone is guilty of. i get the arguments for and against mayweather making/not making the fights with arums fighters. i have personally felt that arum bears most of the blame in those situations...but i still partially believe that floyd is to blame also.

as for floyd calling out all the top boxers....i must have missed that one. i've heard him make plenty of excuses not to face them....and not all of them were toprank fighters. after williams beat margarito...he called out floyd, cotto, shane....and none answered his call. it's all politricks. hide behind your promoter when u can....use excuses like "this guy isn't a draw...or who is that guy?....or i beat this guy who beat that guy...blah,blah,blah..." it's all just bullshit excuses.
duwdu
QUOTE (daprofessor @ Apr 12 2012, 12:23 PM) *
i think the best time for that fight to be made was after cotto/shane and floyd/hatton. floyd retired. there's no denying that.

a close look at floyds resume reveals some things that i find very telling...he's only defeated 2 undefeated fighters.

now that cotto has 2 losses...the fight is being made. critics will have easy ammo in this and floyd will not get much credit for beating a man who has been beaten badly, twice. had he beat cotto after the hatton fight...it would have been difficult to criticize then and would have raised his standing greatly imo.

I agree with you that was about the best time Mayweather-Cotto should have first happened, and on account of that, some may blame Floyd going into that retirement for the fight not happening then all they want. However, a reasonable observer and follower of the politics of boxing would know that, Mayweather going into that retirement or not, Arum was not going to allow Cotto to fight Mayweather then (or now,) as the bile from Mayweather leaving Arum had not subsided, and is still not subsided till this day. Even while both fighters were under him earlier, Arum, when asked, categorically stated that Cotto was not ready for Mayweather, talk less of when/after him (Arum) and Floyd had developed this deep grudge.

To cap this tought, when reports emerged that Mayweather could choose to fight Cotto once Cotto had the balls to say that he would not bow to Pacman's demand/Arum's reference for him (Cotto) to drain down to 147 in other to get Pacquiao-Cotto II, Arum immediately boasted: "They won't get him," meaning Team Mayweather would not get to fight Cotto. That, to me, shows the extent of the bile in Arum towards Mayweather, if he would say that for a fighter (Cotto) even when that fighter was no longer under his control.

I don't know about "...he's only defeated 2 undefeated fighters," as if that would benchmark anything. What we do know, is that Mayweather has faced more champions in his weight range during his career this far, than any other fighter in this era. Nice try though.

And, for what it's worth, Mayweather-Cotto was made possible now, not because Cotto now has two losses as you alluded to, but because Cotto is no longer under Arum's control, simple; and also because Mayweather has the "good fortune" that Pacman "schemed" himself out of a return with Cotto, even though the Cotto fight was what Jinkee said Pacquiao preferred.

P34c3
daprofessor
QUOTE (duwdu @ Apr 13 2012, 11:02 AM) *
I agree with you that was about the best time Mayweather-Cotto should have first happened, and on account of that, some may blame Floyd going into that retirement for the fight not happening then all they want. However, a reasonable observer and follower of the politics of boxing would know that, Mayweather going into that retirement or not, Arum was not going to allow Cotto to fight Mayweather then (or now,) as the bile from Mayweather leaving Arum had not subsided, and is still not subsided till this day. Even while both fighters were under him earlier, Arum, when asked, categorically stated that Cotto was not ready for Mayweather, talk less of when/after him (Arum) and Floyd had developed this deep grudge.

To cap this tought, when reports emerged that Mayweather could choose to fight Cotto once Cotto had the balls to say that he would not bow to Pacman's demand/Arum's reference for him (Cotto) to drain down to 147 in other to get Pacquiao-Cotto II, Arum immediately boasted: "They won't get him," meaning Team Mayweather would not get to fight Cotto. That, to me, shows the extent of the bile in Arum towards Mayweather, if he would say that for a fighter (Cotto) even when that fighter was no longer under his control.

I don't know about "...he's only defeated 2 undefeated fighters," as if that would benchmark anything. What we do know, is that Mayweather has faced more champions in his weight range during his career this far, than any other fighter in this era. Nice try though.

And, for what it's worth, Mayweather-Cotto was made possible now, not because Cotto now has two losses as you alluded to, but because Cotto is no longer under Arum's control, simple; and also because Mayweather has the "good fortune" that Pacman "schemed" himself out of a return with Cotto, even though the Cotto fight was what Jinkee said Pacquiao preferred.

P34c3

that's one way to look at it i suppose...

but here is food for thought. at the point that cotto/mayweather could have been made...after floyd/hatton....there wasn't even an attempt by floyd. he immediately dismissed cotto calling him a regional star...and "who is miguel cotto?" he knew who miguel was...and the fight was much more possible imo because cotto was no where near the cash cow that pac would soon become. arum/haymon didn't have two failed negotiations. things were highly more possible then. plus, hbo wanted that fight and it was the obvious next step if u listen to the commentary. floyd killed it all with his "retirement." also...hearing statements by floyd, roger and floyd sr about "why should floyd fight all these tough guys? let them fight each other and when the smoke clears...." take that how u want. i agree....floyd shouldn't have to fight tough guy after tough guy...but let's be blatantly honest about this. since floyd left 135 all of his opponents have been carefully selected. there is something to be said about defeating undefeated fighters. there is a huge difference in confidence in facing an undefeated fighter who does not know how to lose. facing a fighter who has lost is not as difficult.
CDeezFoo
It took me a minute to figure out why Floyd was acting so uninterested in the Max interview...but I think it's because he is changing his image...slowly but surely..and he is not going to personally attack Miguel with anything so he is showing that this will be easy work because he does this everyday. He's shown his sparring session for free...which also gets his fan base up using USTREAM for the whole world to see...free..but he's also taking pics on FB and Instagram everyday..showing the work he's putting in. I'm a huge Floyd fan and actually that is how I found this sight..all the other sights are mad at Floyd but this one actually likes the guy..like I think most people do but haters are always louder. As far as this article shit...sounds like something that I could write up so obviously its just some guy giving points on why he hates Floyd trying to recruit more hataz!! haha ...and Floyd will easily defeat Cotto..while Cotto would be the best opponent for any other person to have ever faced in their life...Cotto is simply one more W for Floyd and will be easy work. I wish bitch ass Margarito never used them bricks...because Cotto would be where Manny is..and Floyd retired to let other people build their name..if he would of kept fighting everybody would of focused on hating on Floyd rather than appreciating other fighters like Manny, Cotto, Paul W, Ricky, JMM, Morales..and whoever the hell else was fighting. He told us that after one of his fights before he retired..so now their names have more weight..which equals more money for Money

ay....im high..fuk it..an fuk you ahead of time for being mad at me being part of...the MoneyTeam haha
Cshel86
Drugs aint for everybody! rolleyes_anim.gif
BoxingFan86
QUOTE (CDeezFoo @ Apr 13 2012, 02:26 PM) *
It took me a minute to figure out why Floyd was acting so uninterested in the Max interview...but I think it's because he is changing his image...slowly but surely..and he is not going to personally attack Miguel with anything so he is showing that this will be easy work because he does this everyday. He's shown his sparring session for free...which also gets his fan base up using USTREAM for the whole world to see...free..but he's also taking pics on FB and Instagram everyday..showing the work he's putting in. I'm a huge Floyd fan and actually that is how I found this sight..all the other sights are mad at Floyd but this one actually likes the guy..like I think most people do but haters are always louder. As far as this article shit...sounds like something that I could write up so obviously its just some guy giving points on why he hates Floyd trying to recruit more hataz!! haha ...and Floyd will easily defeat Cotto..while Cotto would be the best opponent for any other person to have ever faced in their life...Cotto is simply one more W for Floyd and will be easy work. I wish bitch ass Margarito never used them bricks...because Cotto would be where Manny is..and Floyd retired to let other people build their name..if he would of kept fighting everybody would of focused on hating on Floyd rather than appreciating other fighters like Manny, Cotto, Paul W, Ricky, JMM, Morales..and whoever the hell else was fighting. He told us that after one of his fights before he retired..so now their names have more weight..which equals more money for Money

ay....im high..fuk it..an fuk you ahead of time for being mad at me being part of...the MoneyTeam haha

Accordin' to Bryan Perez, Team Cotto has the blueprint to beat Mayweather.
xxxxxx
QUOTE (daprofessor @ Apr 12 2012, 12:23 PM) *

I'm not gonna try to argue or debate the fact that Mayweather-Cotto would have been bigger in 2008 than it is in 2012. But this will be the biggest boxing match this year up to that point. And I think any real boxing fan can clearly see that Mayweather is not being forced to fight Cotto. He chose Cotto and will be victorious May 5.
BoxingFan86
QUOTE (xxxxxx @ Apr 13 2012, 04:20 PM) *
I'm not gonna try to argue or debate the fact that Mayweather-Cotto would have been bigger in 2008 than it is in 2012. But this will be the biggest boxing match this year up to that point. And I think any real boxing fan can clearly see that Mayweather is not being forced to fight Cotto. He chose Cotto and will be victorious May 5.

By forced, I think people mean Floyd's runnin' out of worthy/respectable opponents to face, so he was forced to choose Cotto in that sense, especially since the Pacquiao fight went sour.
daprofessor
QUOTE (xxxxxx @ Apr 13 2012, 04:20 PM) *

definitely the biggest fight of the year and the best match up to be made south of 160. i think pac was an easier opponent. floyd should win....but i don't believe it's going to be as easy as everyone is making it out to be.
daprofessor
QUOTE (BoxingFan86 @ Apr 13 2012, 05:11 PM) *
By forced, I think people mean Floyd's runnin' out of worthy/respectable opponents to face, so he was forced to choose Cotto in that sense, especially since the Pacquiao fight went sour.

i don't think i used the word "forced" but this is an excellent way to put it. cotto didn't call floyd out...so...
xxxxxx
QUOTE (BoxingFan86 @ Apr 13 2012, 04:11 PM) *

Floyd has options in the boxing game.He's at the top of the game right now so it shrinks the list somewhat, but there are other worthy/respectable opponents. Cotto was just the best one at this particular time. He coulda fought a Martinez, Pacquiao or Alvarez in May and it would have been a very worthy/respectable boxing match.
BigFightFan
I'm not so sure about this fight been the highest money grossing fight of the year. Tickets aren't sold out yet, which is usually not the case for an event of this magnitude.
BoxingFan86
QUOTE (xxxxxx @ Apr 14 2012, 12:06 AM) *
Floyd has options in the boxing game.He's at the top of the game right now so it shrinks the list somewhat, but there are other worthy/respectable opponents. Cotto was just the best one at this particular time. He coulda fought a Martinez, Pacquiao or Alvarez in May and it would have been a very worthy/respectable boxing match.

That's what I was sayin', but as far as the fights you mentioned goes, Martinez wasn't available. You think Floyd was gon' wait to see if Martinez would beat Macklin before he picked his next opponent? Hell nah! Unless they would've given Macklin some step aside money, I don't see how that fight would've been possible. Floyd tried to get the Pacquiao fight, but it went sour and Alvarez hasn't proven himself, yet. He's on the correct path, though. That's why I said what I said.
TzFrank
Its so obvious a pactard wrote this article not worth my time point blank period!!!
Hotsauce
QUOTE (BigFightFan @ Apr 13 2012, 11:52 PM) *
I'm not so sure about this fight been the highest money grossing fight of the year. Tickets aren't sold out yet, which is usually not the case for an event of this magnitude.

that doesn't mean anything

mayweather/mosley didn't even sell out and it did 1.4 mill ppv buys, plus 11 mill in gross sales
duwdu
QUOTE (Hotsauce @ Apr 14 2012, 02:57 PM) *
that doesn't mean anything

mayweather/mosley didn't even sell out and it did 1.4 mill ppv buys, plus 11 mill in gross sales

True, that.

In addition, the only tickets still left are the very high-priced ones. The usual priced tickets sold out literally "within minutes," according to some press reports.

P34c3
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.