Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Weekend in Boxing - PPV, FNF and HW contender
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
Pages: 1, 2
Cheesey1
Here's a quick summary of what's on this weekend. This isn't all of the boxing this weekend and doesn't include what's on Telemundo, Telefutura, or Fox Deportes.

FRIDAY:
International (around 4-5pm EST) - Felix 'Leonidas' Sturm vs. Sebastian Zbik @ 160lbs - WBA Championship. Sturm's the belt holder and Zbik wants to change that.

FNF -Michael 'The Great' Katsidis vs. Albert 'The Tornado' Mensah @ 140lbs - Katsidis is a crowd pleaser, but has he been in one brawl too many? Will Mensah show us that he can become another well regarded boxer from Ghana? Katsidis has the much better resume and although he's moving up in weight, it looks like this is his to win.

'King' Artemio Reyes vs. Alan Sanchez - 147lbs

SATURDAY:
International (around 4 pm EST) -Chris Eubank jr vs. Paul Allison @ 160lbs - promising son of Chris Eubank in his third pro fight.
International (main event) - Tyson Fury vs. Martin 'The Iron Man' Rogan @ HW - yup this is the HW contender mentioned in the title, Tyson Fury. Rogan's apparently a tough HW, but not exactly a spring chicken and not a contender. Fury's expected to win, but can Rogan hand Fury his first defeat and spoil his movement up the ranks?
HBO PPV:
Brandon 'Bam-Bam' Rios vs. Richard Abril, @ 135lbs. WBA championship - this has already been discussed in the forums Only thing from me is that at least Abril's got two things going for him going into this match, he's Cuban and he's fighting during a month that's almost got the same name as him.

Juan Manuel 'Dinamita' Marquez vs. Serhiy 'The Professor' Fedchenko @ 140lbs -WBO interim championship - this one has also already been discussed, but apparently Fedchenko isn't a pushover.
Cshel86
Im going to try and catch the Sturm/Zbik fight...should be a good one. I have to see how Zbik fairs against a guy his size...rather than a jolly giant like Chavez who damn near outweighed him by 20 lbs.

Win, lose, or draw, t's always a pleasure to catch Katsidis fight...so I'll be looking out for him on FNF. I haven't seen his opponent fight, so I cant make a prediction.'

The PPV card could possibly have "upset" written over it. Im not sure how Abril will fair against Rios, who will probably have a significant weight advantage. With that said, I've seen Rios hurt by Acosta (on a few occasions) and Antillon (a couple of times).

Anybody that can move and punch with confidence, will give Brandon trouble...as Acosta showed us early in that fight. Straight punch will freeze him as well, as long as his opponent doesn't get mindfucked into a phone booth fight. I just know that Abril will more than likely have the reach advantage, so hopefully he uses it to his advantage.

As for Marquez, he could possibly be the guy that gets upset this weekend...if it were to happen. His opponent is no bum, so let's hope that we still see the same resilience that Marquez shows in every fight, if age hasn't rendered him the "fuck you" card.
Cheesey1
Cool.

I missed the Sturm/Zbik match. I'm definitely catching tomorrow's afternoon stuff.

Also, that gif is hilarious. All he needs is a halo.
Cshel86
QUOTE (Cheesey1 @ Apr 13 2012, 07:16 PM) *
Cool.

I missed the Sturm/Zbik match. I'm definitely catching tomorrow's afternoon stuff.

Also, that gif is hilarious. All he needs is a halo.

I did too. I tried to watch the stream at 6PM,(EST), and that was waaay over. It looked like an amateur bout was taking place, and hell, even THAT fight was in the final round. laugh.gif

As for my avatar, I just saw the pic online, and I couldn't stop laughing! laugh.gif
Cheesey1
Yeah the time difference is either 5, or 6 hours. I think that Germany's 6hrs, so 4pm / 5pm is a safer bet.

FNF not on until 11...not cool.
Cshel86
QUOTE (Cheesey1 @ Apr 13 2012, 08:57 PM) *
FNF not on until 11...not cool.

Tell me about it! Im like damn, 10PM would've been okay, but 11??? I'll probably be inebriated by then...so my shit-talking and round-by-round info will be waaaay off...
Cheesey1
QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Apr 13 2012, 09:00 PM) *
Tell me about it! Im like damn, 10PM would've been okay, but 11??? I'll probably be inebriated by then...so my shit-talking and round-by-round info will be waaaay off...

For real. My over the hill self will be struggling to keep my eyes open.
Cshel86
QUOTE (Cheesey1 @ Apr 13 2012, 09:05 PM) *
For real. My over the hill self will be struggling to keep my eyes open.

What time is it up there in Mars??? laugh.gif
Cheesey1
QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Apr 13 2012, 09:12 PM) *
What time is it up there in Mars??? laugh.gif

Ha!! Nah man, NYC!!!!

I'm watching the Knicks whup the poor Wizards.
Cheesey1
This Katsidis/Mensah bout could be a blood and guts thing, or maybe even a KO.
Cshel86
What's up with this overtime shit with Nascar??? Nascar aint bad, but ANY sport that gets in the way of boxing is in a clear violation! threaten.gif
Cheesey1
Finally! Nascar's over.
Cheesey1
QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Apr 13 2012, 11:24 PM) *
What's up with this overtime shit with Nascar??? Nascar aint bad, but ANY sport that gets in the way of boxing is in a clear violation! threaten.gif

"Nascar ain't bad...," are you sure?

Teddy's suits are looking like that contract renewal was a good one for the Tedmeister.
Cshel86
QUOTE (Cheesey1 @ Apr 13 2012, 11:28 PM) *
"Nascar ain't bad...," are you sure?

Teddy's suits are looking like that contract renewal was a good one for the Tedmeister.

Im sure it was a good one! laugh.gif

Im ready to see Katsidis! Dude always make it worth it to watch him fight!
Cheesey1
Alright, Reyes vs. Sanchez. Rd 1!

Also condolences to Reyes' family.
Cheesey1
Damn!!! That was unexpected.

I wonder if his mind wasn't in it because of his family issues.
Cshel86
Why didn't he take a fuckin' knee? Pride over professionalism...no2.gif
Cheesey1
QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Apr 13 2012, 11:39 PM) *
Why didn't he take a fuckin' knee? Pride over professionalism...no2.gif

True. He started well enough and taking a knee would've given him some time to recover.
Cheesey1
Sanchez did show some nice movement in the beginning and although Reyes may not have been all there, Sanchez showed some decent fundamentals.
Cshel86
QUOTE (Cheesey1 @ Apr 13 2012, 11:41 PM) *
True. He started well enough and taking a knee would've given him some time to recover.

He had several chances to do so. I truly hate what happened to his dad though. When things like this happen (deaths in the family), fighters either go out there and steamroll an opponent, or go under...
Cheesey1
Even though Reyes lost badly, I don't think that he came across as a bum.
Cheesey1
Krael vs. Larson. Entertaining 1st round so far. Larson's right hooks look like they might put Krael down, but maybe Krael won that round. Just barely.
Cshel86
QUOTE (Cheesey1 @ Apr 13 2012, 11:50 PM) *
Krael vs. Larson. Entertaining 1st round so far.

These dudes are swing for the fences! Mayonnaise-jar body (Larson) is trying to get 'im outta there early, and Krael is trying not to look as shitty as his record. laugh.gif
Cheesey1
QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Apr 13 2012, 11:51 PM) *
These dudes are swing for the fences! Mayonnaise-jar body (Larson) is trying to get 'im outta there early, and Krael is trying not to look as shitty as his record. laugh.gif

Yeah man. 'Mayonnaise-jar body' - ha!
Cshel86
QUOTE (Cheesey1 @ Apr 13 2012, 11:53 PM) *
Yeah man. 'Mayonnaise-jar body' - ha!

Dude is jiggly as hell! laugh.gif
Cheesey1
Larson's doing what the smaller guy's supposed to do.

Maybe I'm just biased towards the taller, range controlling type of boxer, but I gave the second to Krael too. Another close round.
Cshel86
QUOTE (Cheesey1 @ Apr 13 2012, 11:56 PM) *
Larson's doing what the smaller guy's supposed to do.

Maybe I'm just biased towards the taller, range controlling type of boxer, but I gave the second to Krael too. Another close round.

Im not even scoring this one...being the fact that somebody is gonna run into something soon...
Cheesey1
QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Apr 13 2012, 11:58 PM) *
Im not even scoring this one...being the fact that somebody is gonna run into something soon...

Ha! Larson could be the one, but yeah either guy could go.

Krael won that one, maybe 3 rounds to 1. Close rounds though.
Cshel86
Teddy's card has it even...let's see...
Cshel86
You're right, Krael got by 39 - 37 on two cards, and 38 - 38 on one card.
Cheesey1
Oh shit, Larson's trained by FM Sr. Cool. Technically Larson fought the fight that he should've. Sometimes a taller guy will just have an advantage over a shorter guy.
Cheesey1
QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Apr 14 2012, 12:06 AM) *
You're right, Krael got by 39 - 37 on two cards, and 38 - 38 on one card.

Yeah, I would've been fine with a draw too.
Cheesey1
That Trout/Rodriguez and Quillin/Wright card that they mentioned for June looks solid.
Cshel86
QUOTE (Cheesey1 @ Apr 14 2012, 12:20 AM) *
That Trout/Rodriguez and Quillin/Wright card that they mentioned for June looks solid.

Yep!
Cshel86
Katsidis is starting fast
Cheesey1
Mensah needs to get off the ropes.
Cheesey1
QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Apr 14 2012, 12:25 AM) *
Katsidis is starting fast

Yeah, but Mensah caught him a couple of times.
Cshel86
QUOTE (Cheesey1 @ Apr 14 2012, 12:27 AM) *
Mensah needs to get off the ropes.

Ya know? Who wants to see a phone booth fight anyway? Seeing that doesn't prove that Katsidis has learned anything, it just proves that he was successful at fighting his fight.
Cheesey1
I'm all about accuracy, so even though Katsidis was applying the pressure, I'd score that a draw.

Mensah needs to start moving more. Stick and move, homie, stick and move.
Cshel86
Mensah cant take this pressure...or he'll make it apparent after the next few rounds...
Cheesey1
QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Apr 14 2012, 12:32 AM) *
Mensah cant take this pressure...or he'll make it apparent after the next few rounds...

Yeah, that's exactly why he can't just be posing on the ropes.
Cheesey1
Mensah looks like the stronger guy and I'm sure that he could impose his will with the jab.

I agree with the Tedmeister, when Mensah lands, his stuff is more damaging.
Cshel86
QUOTE (Cheesey1 @ Apr 14 2012, 12:34 AM) *
Mensah looks like the stronger guy and I'm sure that he could impose his will with the jab.

He needs to employ some distance then...because this against the ropes "phone booth" shit isn't working. I mean, he's standing his ground, but I would much rather him stand his ground. Katsidis is doing the same ol' shit that he's always done, so there's no reason to look for anything different.
Cheesey1
QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Apr 14 2012, 12:37 AM) *
He needs to employ some distance then...because this against the ropes "phone booth" shit isn't working. I mean, he's standing his ground, but I would much rather him stand his ground. Katsidis is doing the same ol' shit that he's always done, so there's no reason to look for anything different.

Well it looks like he's realised that the ropes aren't his friend.

Left uppercut, right hand, snapping Katsidis head back.

So far, Mensah's winning.
Cshel86
QUOTE (Cheesey1 @ Apr 14 2012, 12:39 AM) *
Well it looks like he's realised that the ropes aren't his friend.

Left uppercut, right hand, snapping Katsidis head back.

Katsidis aint lookin' so good...he only walked away with the 1st round, but he's being outworked in these previous rounds. Mensah has officially taken control of all action...
Cheesey1
QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Apr 14 2012, 12:41 AM) *
Katsidis aint lookin' so good...he only walked away with the 1st round, but he's being outworked in these previous rounds. Mensah has officially taken control of all action...

Agreed. Mensah has to add a bit more to his arsenal because Katsidis is there for target practice and he also has to keep moving, otherwise Katsidis could do something.

You're right though, Mensah's in control. He needs to make sure that he doesn't get gassed.
Cshel86
Sorry if Im not giving immediate updates...Im too busy reading Allmejoi's "gems of stupidity"...#abouttoupdatemysig
Cheesey1
QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Apr 14 2012, 12:46 AM) *
Sorry if Im not giving immediate updates...Im too busy reading Allmejoi's "gems of stupidity"...#abouttoupdatemysig

No problem man. I'm just glad that I was able to stay awake.
Cheesey1
Katsidis had a good round. After 7, I've got it 4 to Mensah and 3 to Katsidis (truthfully I have it 5 -2, but maybe Katsidis could be given an extra round).
Cshel86
Yeah Katsidis stole that last round...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.