Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Ricky Hatton vs Mayweather
FightHype Community > OTHER HYPE > Archives
Pages: 1, 2
pesticid
but for the first 4,5 round he had Floyd in very uncomfortable situations even though Floyd was most likely winning most of the rounds. I think Floyd and Castillo pressured Floyd the best. What are your thoughts? Do you think anyone else not named Castillo and Hatton can make things uncomfortable for Floyd. I just don't see Cotto doing it cause he doesn't have Hatton's fire and energy nor Castillo's chin and resiliance but is anybody else there that can make Floyd feel that uncomfortable. I thought hatton in the first half of the fight had Floyd feeling less at easte than in his fight against DLH.

I don't think Pacman is the man because he is an in and out, jump in get out type of a fighter. He doesn't really cut off the ring and bullies you to the ropes. This is the only strategy that could work against Floyd and to my memory only Castillo and Hatton had success where one could argue that Castillo won the first fight, yet he clearly lost the second one against FM.
mitukczuk
I always say Hatton was the only one with whom Floyd didn't look pretty fighting. (Not counting the KO, pretty spectacular) He is always such a wonder to watch, but not vs Hatton. But he made it work. It was not a beautiful fight, but he did what he had to to win the fight.

Castillo fight was not like that imo. To me, Hatton was more effective...

Same as you I don't see anyone pressuring Floyd like that. Not only because there are no fighters capable of doing it, but also because Floyd would deal with these kind of fights differently at this point in his career.
pesticid
Hatton was on fire that night, too bad Cortez allowed FLoyd to be dirty and didn't allow Hatton to be his usual self cause things could've gooten uglier for Floyd. Not saying he would've lost just it would've been more difficult for him to clock and ko Hatton. Haton couldn't even hold for a second, while Floyd could push and punch with his left elbow.
I thought it was a good fight though way better than the one vs DLH and Marquez.
daprofessor
outside of bull rushing...hatton did very little. he didn't land any clean punches. it was just ineffective agression. floyd was picking him apart. pressure alone is not enough. castillo probably pressured floyd half as much as hatton...but he placed his shots very intelligently. i believe cotto will do some of the same...and he'll take away the counters. i believe cotto is a much more intelligent/capable fighter than ricky hatton ever was...and he also seems to be more capable than castillo.
pesticid
QUOTE (daprofessor @ Apr 17 2012, 01:32 PM) *
outside of bull rushing...hatton did very little. he didn't land any clean punches. it was just ineffective agression. floyd was picking him apart. pressure alone is not enough. castillo probably pressured floyd half as much as hatton...but he placed his shots very intelligently. i believe cotto will do some of the same...and he'll take away the counters. i believe cotto is a much more intelligent/capable fighter than ricky hatton ever was...and he also seems to be more capable than castillo.

Don't agree. Ricky was landing his jab on Floyd's face and he has T-rex arms, Floyd was uncomfortable and even he himself always mentions the Ricky victory as one of his signature. Why doyou think that is? He knew Ricky was game and if Hatton was allowed to hold liek he did in his other fights, he could've possibly gone the distance as opposed to Floyd building up this momentum and putting him out.

Cotto is not more capable than Castillo. I think he will get Gattied
BoxingFan86
QUOTE (pesticid @ Apr 17 2012, 12:17 PM) *
but for the first 4,5 round he had Floyd in very uncomfortable situations even though Floyd was most likely winning most of the rounds. I think Floyd and Castillo pressured Floyd the best. What are your thoughts? Do you think anyone else not named Castillo and Hatton can make things uncomfortable for Floyd. I just don't see Cotto doing it cause he doesn't have Hatton's fire and energy nor Castillo's chin and resiliance but is anybody else there that can make Floyd feel that uncomfortable. I thought hatton in the first half of the fight had Floyd feeling less at easte than in his fight against DLH.

I don't think Pacman is the man because he is an in and out, jump in get out type of a fighter. He doesn't really cut off the ring and bullies you to the ropes. This is the only strategy that could work against Floyd and to my memory only Castillo and Hatton had success where one could argue that Castillo won the first fight, yet he clearly lost the second one against FM.
This isn't really anything new for Floyd. As a matter-of-fact, it's pretty normal. I've seen him in uncomfortable situations several times (i.e. in fights against Judah, Corley, Mosley, etc... just to name a few), but each time, he adjusted and adapted to his opponent's fightin' style. That's 1 of the things that makes him great, but some people choose to overlook that aspect of his ring intelligence. Even though he dominated Mosley, Mosley still had Floyd uncomfortable (momentarily laugh.gif). It only took Floyd 2 rounds to adjust in that fight.

QUOTE (daprofessor @ Apr 17 2012, 01:32 PM) *

Enough said, case closed.
pesticid
QUOTE (BoxingFan86 @ Apr 17 2012, 01:57 PM) *
This isn't really anything new for Floyd. As a matter-of-fact, it's pretty normal. I've seen him in uncomfortable situations several times (i.e. in fights against Judah, Corley, Mosley, etc... just to name a few), but each time, he adjusted and adapted to his opponent's fightin' style. That's 1 of the things that makes him great, but some people choose to overlook that aspect of his ring intelligence. Even though he dominated Mosley, Mosley still had Floyd uncomfortable (momentarily laugh.gif). It only took Floyd 2 rounds to adjust in that fight.

True, but Mosley was never as effective as Hatton was early and Castillo was late. It wasn't just 2,3 rounds with Hatton and Castillo. Mosley got one lucky punch then he tried to survive the whole fight. Flopyd would\ve knocked him out if he wasn't hugging and trying to be friends and not wanting to fight.
BoxingFan86
QUOTE (pesticid @ Apr 17 2012, 01:46 PM) *
Don't agree. Ricky was landing his jab on Floyd's face and he has T-rex arms, Floyd was uncomfortable and even he himself always mentions the Ricky victory as one of his signature. Why do you think that is? He knew Ricky was game and if Hatton was allowed to hold liek he did in his other fights, he could've possibly gone the distance as opposed to Floyd building up this momentum and putting him out.

Personally, I think he always mentions that fight, 'cause Ricky was undefeated at the time (43-0-31 KOs), plus he ended the fight in spectactular fashion. The check hook started it all. Once he flattened Hatton with that left hook (1st knock-down), he started to put his punches together. If you go back and watch the end of that fight (the actual KO to be exact), you'll notice that Floyd was choppin' Hatton down with combinations, but Cortez grabbed Floyd before he could finish puttin' them together, but the momentum of it all still made Hatton fall the fuck out. I think that's why Floyd loves that fight so much. On top of that, his record wasn't like Ricky's. He was undefeated, but his record was somethin' like 38-0-24 KOs, I think. I think that victory stroked his ego, that's why he always mentions it.
pesticid
Yeah and Ricky had a good resume at junior WW too. I know he faced a lot of bums but stopping Kostya like that was big. He was a big underdog and everybody thought Kostya would flatten him.
neophyte7
I recall many people picking Hatton to rough up mayweather who has never been credited with his toughness.. Floyd took the fight out of Hatton officially yet Hatton's slide in confidence began after LUIS COLLAZO.. the doubt on Hatton's face was evident after the bout..
daprofessor
QUOTE (pesticid @ Apr 17 2012, 01:46 PM) *
Don't agree. Ricky was landing his jab on Floyd's face and he has T-rex arms, Floyd was uncomfortable and even he himself always mentions the Ricky victory as one of his signature. Why doyou think that is? He knew Ricky was game and if Hatton was allowed to hold liek he did in his other fights, he could've possibly gone the distance as opposed to Floyd building up this momentum and putting him out.

i can't see cotto getting gattied....i think pac will though. btw. u seriously overrate hatton. he was never in the fight against floyd. he was done after the collazo fight. hatton isn't half the fighter cotto is...and cotto has a much bigger bag of tricks than castillo. castillo only knew how to fight one way. cotto is a multi-faceted fighter.

we'll see what happens fight night.

daprofessor
QUOTE (BoxingFan86 @ Apr 17 2012, 01:57 PM) *

Enough said, case closed.

smile.gif
flazi
i disagree with the cotto having a bigger bag of tricks than castillo. Castillo was an old dog. He learned a whole lot from JCC. I think he had more tricks than cotto does, i watched his whole career and he knew when and where to place shots, how to use his elbows and head, etc. he was a vet. Cotto does have a tricks up his sleeve, he is smart but he isn't as savvy as castillo was. could have been but i think he had it too easy at junior ww and that stunted his skill set a bit. or maybe it was his trainer.
daprofessor
QUOTE (flazi @ Apr 17 2012, 05:21 PM) *
i disagree with the cotto having a bigger bag of tricks than castillo. Castillo was an old dog. He learned a whole lot from JCC. I think he had more tricks than cotto does, i watched his whole career and he knew when and where to place shots, how to use his elbows and head, etc. he was a vet. Cotto does have a tricks up his sleeve, he is smart but he isn't as savvy as castillo was. could have been but i think he had it too easy at junior ww and that stunted his skill set a bit. or maybe it was his trainer.

maybe "bigger bag of tricks" was the wrong term...but cotto definitely is more capable because he changes his style of fighting. he can stick and move...he can lead, he can counter. he can fight aggressively...he fights orthodox and southpaw. for the most part...castillo only fought one way.

on a different note...according to manny steward...jcc could actually box...but he fought his whole career one way. i cannot recall a single fight that he ever boxed in and i have his career set.
flazi
You are right, cotto is more capable, he is much more of an athlete and i honestly think that if he would have had a different trainer he could have been even greater. He can do it all, he is a complete fighter with tons of heart.
leonthegee
After Floyd walks through Cotto youll be saying Cotto is done. Just like you did after the Marquez fight. It's not that Cotto cant fight it's just one guy fights way better than the other.
Cshel86
QUOTE (neophyte7 @ Apr 17 2012, 03:51 PM) *
Hatton's slide in confidence began after LUIS COLLAZO...

What are you talking about? C'mon man...

Hatton lost his confidence after the Collazo fight...

Oh my bad, you said that shit already. laugh.gif Seriously though, that last round of the Collazo fight wasn't Ricky's friend, and of course his demise started after that fight. Oh damn...you already said that too. laugh.gif
daprofessor
QUOTE (flazi @ Apr 17 2012, 05:35 PM) *
You are right, cotto is more capable, he is much more of an athlete and i honestly think that if he would have had a different trainer he could have been even greater. He can do it all, he is a complete fighter with tons of heart.

i agree on the trainer thing. i thought his uncle was limited as well.
daprofessor
QUOTE (leonthegee @ Apr 17 2012, 05:58 PM) *
After Floyd walks through Cotto youll be saying Cotto is done. Just like you did after the Marquez fight. It's not that Cotto cant fight it's just one guy fights way better than the other.

who thought marquez was done? huh.gif
daprofessor
QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Apr 17 2012, 06:23 PM) *
What are you talking about? C'mon man...

Hatton lost his confidence after the Collazo fight...

Oh my bad, you said that shit already. laugh.gif Seriously though, that last round of the Collazo fight wasn't Ricky's friend, and of course his demise started after that fight. Oh damn...you already said that too. laugh.gif

i thought collazo won that fight and got robbed of being the first person to drop hatton. he definitely wasn't the same after that one.
mgrover
there was only one thing that stunned Hatton and led to a KO, and it wasn't Floyd...
BoxingEinstein

Floyd was brilliant in that Hatton fight. I for one thought Floyd would strictly stick to just boxing, leading with a stiff jab , and hooking Hatton every time he tried to go to the body. Instead Floyd played Hatton's game of fighting in the inside and going to the body. He even used some roughhouse tactics to rattle Ricky and played possum when he needed to frustrate Hatton. It showed Floyd's inside game was impregnable against a skilled inside fighter and great body puncher. One of my favorite fights to watch on the DVR, you can see when Floyd adjusted after Hatton really put the pressure on Mayweather.
pesticid
QUOTE (daprofessor @ Apr 17 2012, 05:05 PM) *
i can't see cotto getting gattied....i think pac will though. btw. u seriously overrate hatton. he was never in the fight against floyd. he was done after the collazo fight. hatton isn't half the fighter cotto is...and cotto has a much bigger bag of tricks than castillo. castillo only knew how to fight one way. cotto is a multi-faceted fighter.

we'll see what happens fight night.

Cotto lacks resiliency and gets hit quite a bit. Hatton's resume at 140 is better than Cotto's at 140.

Cotto gets his face torn out by Margarito, Clottey, Pacman and let's not forget what Torres did to him. Almost had him out, had him stumbling like a queer for a round and half. Heck, even Malignagii with a busted up face was stunning him here and there in the final rounds.

Cotto eats too many shots in combos and he lacks resiliency.

Mosley eats shots but one at a time and he is tough. Cotto will eat shots in combos and he'll get busted up
pesticid
QUOTE (daprofessor @ Apr 17 2012, 06:31 PM) *
i thought collazo won that fight and got robbed of being the first person to drop hatton. he definitely wasn't the same after that one.

Hatton dropped Collazo not the other way around and that wasn't really a hard knockdown or anything, maybe more an off balance thing.
Cshel86
QUOTE (daprofessor @ Apr 17 2012, 06:30 PM) *
who thought marquez was done? huh.gif

Probably a nuthugger who thinks that EVERY fighter that Floyd fights is never the same afterwards...as we've been hearing forever. Marquez lost nothing after that fight, in fact, that fight helped him more than it hurt him. It was a win/win (reputation wise), and it looks quite goofy on Floyd's record.

QUOTE (pesticid @ Apr 17 2012, 08:54 PM) *
Hatton's resume at 140 is better than Cotto's at 140.

Huh?! If anything, Cotto possibly edges it.

checkleft
I never thought 147 was a good weight for hatton even though Floyd wasn't a big welterweight at the time. He has filled out since then.

But Floyd took some notes from og bhop for that fight. Pot shot, clinch, repeat. The speed was too much the clean shots took their toll the clinching and missing shots tired him and he eventually started breaking down.

Cotto cannot take clean shots. But he has good timing and has looked good against speed fighters in the past. But the problem is he can't take clean shots and once he genuinely hurt or put down he completely abandons his gameplan and starts running. Plus he has been much slower at 154 and he hasn't seemed to gotten much stronger against sub-par opposition. He was much stronger and quicker at 147 with his uncle at his corner. He was a beast and his performance against mosley is still one of the more impressive I have seen. Once he more than likely got plastered and his corner broke down he was finished. To this day I think his corner, without the issues, coached him best. He would have been a beast if marg never (probably) cheated. But in my opinion he still wouldn't have beaten Floyd.
bnoles4life
Anyone remember the Jesus Chavez fight? Floyd definitely was NOT in a Barcalounger during that fight. He eventually stopped him, as Chavez's corner stopped the fight in b/t rounds, but IMO, this was one of Floyd's toughest fights.
bnoles4life
As far as Cotto, his MAJOR obstacle is fuel efficiency. He needs some of that "flex fuel" for this fight, as we all can guess, if he gets winded against Floyd....
bnoles4life
Oh yeah, thought about this the other day. Define irony: Floyd fighting (and subsequently whitewashing) Diego Corrales, in the last fight prior to Chico going to jail for......you guessed it, domestic violence against the mother of his child (who was pregnant at the time)....only to be in an eerily situation, some 11 years later. Let's hope the outcome isn't consistent.
Slumpage
QUOTE (bnoles4life @ Apr 18 2012, 07:30 AM) *
Oh yeah, thought about this the other day. Define irony: Floyd fighting (and subsequently whitewashing) Diego Corrales, in the last fight prior to Chico going to jail for......you guessed it, domestic violence against the mother of his child (who was pregnant at the time)....only to be in an eerily situation, some 11 years later. Let's hope the outcome isn't consistent.

Yeah, and I swear Floyd made some statement like he was gonna win the Corrales fight for "all the battered women out there" or some shit?! Irony is a bitch...
pesticid
QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Apr 17 2012, 09:53 PM) *

Hatton made Kostya retire when nobody gave him much of a chance of winning. What is Cotto's best win at 140? Exactly!
Slumpage
QUOTE (pesticid @ Apr 18 2012, 07:58 AM) *
Hatton made Kostya retire when nobody gave him much of a chance of winning. What is Cotto's best win at 140? Exactly!

Yeah, can't really say Cotto has a better resume than Hatton at 140lb. Ricky was still the lineal champ when he fought Manny, Cotto was never the lineal champ to my knowledge... Although his resume was good, Hatton beat "the man" of the div, Cotto never did, he was just defending his 140 WBO strap whilst Bob built his name before moving up to 147lb...
bnoles4life
QUOTE (Slumpage @ Apr 18 2012, 06:53 AM) *
Yeah, and I swear Floyd made some statement like he was gonna win the Corrales fight for "all the battered women out there" or some shit?! Irony is a bitch...

True story! He said he was sending tickets to Mrs. Corrales, so that she could witness, first-hand, her husband getting his ass whipped.
Allmenjoi8
QUOTE (pesticid @ Apr 17 2012, 11:17 AM) *

That match would have been different if Cortez Let Ricky fight on the inside versus breaking them up every second. I think Emmanuel Burton gave Floyd fits simply because he would not quit. Zab in the early rounds had May in a web, Zab was faster than May and that bothered him. The Mexican cat he fought in Grand Rapids I think it was Chavez or someone like that, gave him fits. In the end he figured them out. Castillo fought dirty and Floyd hurt his shoulder so I understand that first fight. Hatton he picked apart as the fight progressed.
sduck
This how I scored the fight

Mayweather - 1, (2), 3, 4, (6), 7, 8, 9, 10
Hatton - (2), 5, (6)

Mayweather - 10, 9, 10, 10, 9, 9, 10, 10, 10, 10
Hatton - 9, 9, 9, 9, 10, 9, 9, 9, 9, 8

9-3 rounds, 97-90 - Mayweather at the time of the stoppage

Ricky Hatton scored some rounds by bullying Floyd hard on the ropes, where Floyd couldn't answer back much. But for most of the fight, Floyd was neutralizing Hatton's offense, and was cleanly landing whenever he got to lead. Hatton had no answer, just kept coming forward and after round 7 was pretty much done. Now I know referee Joe Cortez gets a lot of heat, but I actually think he did a good job. There was loads of holding, wrestling, and rabbit punching by both fighters; Mayweather was using the elbow, Hatton sometimes holding the ropes. People complain that Cortez kept interfering but its like people aren't aware or simply forget that those things are illegal, and their styles pairing up made it consistent. If Cortez did nothing, he'd professionally be a bad ref. The only part I disagree with was Cortez deducting the point from Hatton. It was a good fight, and I think the best part about it was the crowd and atmosphere. Surprising the fight only got 950k PPV buys, because to me the hype seemed bigger than the Mayweather-DLH fight.
Franchize
The Hatton victory was one of Floyd's most impressive IMO. He fought a guy who only wanted to brawl and break his will. If Hatton was at all successful, every fighter from then on would come in with the mentality "We're going to make it rough and go to Floyd's body." Well Hatton did that and Floyd handled the pressure and gave Hatton an ultimate boxing lesson. He made every other boxer who thought they had a legit chance go back to the drawing board and think of something different.
daprofessor
QUOTE (pesticid @ Apr 17 2012, 08:57 PM) *
Hatton dropped Collazo not the other way around and that wasn't really a hard knockdown or anything, maybe more an off balance thing.

hatton stepped on his foot if my memory serves me correctly. and in that last round...collazo had ricky on queer street...ready to go. ricky held on for dear life but actually dropped to his knees. that should have been ruled a knock down but politricks reigned supreme in that fight. it's clear we don't see things the same. i'll agree to disagree.
daprofessor
QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Apr 17 2012, 09:53 PM) *
Probably a nuthugger who thinks that EVERY fighter that Floyd fights is never the same afterwards...as we've been hearing forever. Marquez lost nothing after that fight, in fact, that fight helped him more than it hurt him. It was a win/win (reputation wise), and it looks quite goofy on Floyd's record.

totally agree on both counts.
pesticid
QUOTE (daprofessor @ Apr 18 2012, 02:34 PM) *
hatton stepped on his foot if my memory serves me correctly. and in that last round...collazo had ricky on queer street...ready to go. ricky held on for dear life but actually dropped to his knees. that should have been ruled a knock down but politricks reigned supreme in that fight. it's clear we don't see things the same. i'll agree to disagree.

True and while we're on it we can even scratch Bhop ko over DLH cause DLH really did take a dive. Ricky was on queer st just as much as Floyd was against Mosley.
It was a close fight that could've gone to Collazo but the knockdown that was scored, it was scored by Hatton regardless if he stepped on his foot, he did put him down.

I think we don't see the same cause you say Collazo knocked down Ricky which is not true and I say that Ricky knocked down Collazo which is true, simple as that
Cshel86
QUOTE (pesticid @ Apr 18 2012, 07:58 AM) *

Wasn't Tzsyu at the end of his rope? I guess the better question here is, who had the better competition at 140?

QUOTE (Slumpage @ Apr 18 2012, 08:11 AM) *
Hatton beat "the man" of the div, Cotto never did, he was just defending his 140 WBO strap whilst Bob built his name before moving up to 147lb...

C'mon Slump, PLEASE dont tell me that you're referring to Manny Pacquiao as "the man" of the division (140) when ricky fought him. If so...well, I hate to break it to ya, but Manny wasn't "the man" of the division, sorry.

No way in the world he could be the man of the division, when he only fought there once, and never fought there again. Again, I hope you're referring to Pacquiao as the man the 140 lb divsion...hopefully I read that wrong.

QUOTE (pesticid @ Apr 18 2012, 02:55 PM) *
Ricky was on queer st just as much as Floyd was against Mosley.

The counter question for this would be, who finished the round in a better fashion while on queer street, Floyd or Ricky? Last time I checked, Ricky took that "tebow knee" that wasn't rule a knockdown for some reason.

Floyd on the other hand, damn near did a Rapper's Delight dip when his knees buckled, but I dont remember him taking the "knee of refuge" like Ricky.
BoxingFan86
QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Apr 18 2012, 03:48 PM) *
Wasn't Tzsyu at the end of his rope? I guess the better question here is, who had the better competition at 140?

C'mon Slump, PLEASE dont tell me that you're referring to Manny Pacquiao as "the man" of the division (140) when ricky fought him. If so...well, I hate to break it to ya, but Manny wasn't "the man" of the division, sorry.

No way in the world he could be the man of the division, when he only fought there once, and never fought there again. Again, I hope you're referring to Pacquiao as the man the 140 lb divsion...hopefully I read that wrong.

The counter question for this would be, who finished the round in a better fashion while on queer street, Floyd or Ricky? Last time I checked, Ricky took that "tebow knee" that wasn't rule a knockdown for some reason.

Floyd on the other hand, damn near did a Rapper's Delight dip when his knees buckled, but I dont remember him taking the "knee of refuge" like Ricky.

laugh.gif
daprofessor
QUOTE (pesticid @ Apr 18 2012, 02:55 PM) *
True and while we're on it we can even scratch Bhop ko over DLH cause DLH really did take a dive. Ricky was on queer st just as much as Floyd was against Mosley.
It was a close fight that could've gone to Collazo but the knockdown that was scored, it was scored by Hatton regardless if he stepped on his foot, he did put him down.

I think we don't see the same cause you say Collazo knocked down Ricky which is not true and I say that Ricky knocked down Collazo which is true, simple as that

i'm looking for the video...but i would suggest u go back and watch that. it was bullshit at the highest level. ricky should have lost that fight and they did everything in their power to protect him.
daprofessor
QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Apr 18 2012, 03:48 PM) *

tszyu went to the uk and fought ricky in his backyard. the fight was at some insane hour...and ricky got all the help he could get from the hometown ref. the icing on the cake was hattons low blow which seemed to take all the steam out of the old and inactive kt. the victory was not impressive at all. he basically mauled and fouled his way to victory. the only ppl that thought it was impressive were the brits.
flazi
shit i remember that fight. It was at some insane hour, like 12am or something like that. Ricky low blowed held and mauled for 11 rounds. Tsyzu never got off.
pesticid
Damn, Hatton gets no respect, and even less since the Pacman loss. I guess it's easy to break-down his wins as bad ones, you can do that with any fighter (Bhop, Floyd, Zaghe, etc.)

Hatton was a very underrated champ. Nobody on Cotto's resume is better than Kostya. Cotto struggled with Malignaggi. Hatton outboxed him and had him stopped. Hatton's got two losses in two fights he wasn't supposed to win and went up in weight and fought a big Collazo, it was a close fight if anybody should've won it, it was Collazo but he was still game and aggressive as always.

Cotto on the other hand, the more I think about it, the less confident I am in his supposed "tool box"
Guy got beat by Margarito bad, he should've lost to Clottey where Clottey just tore his face out with clean punching, Pacman destroyed him. Struggled against Malignaggi, Ndou late, Mosley late rounds, that little Colombian landed 100 flush punches to his face for a round and a half. Besides Cotto's character was softer than Hatton's. He quits or gives up when shit isn't going his way. Hatton will do the opposite.

I am not fooled by Cotto's last fight. Cotto held more and Margarito had his eye messed up. Margarito was getting to Cotto late again and they stopped it. Margarito with a healthy eye stops Cotto the same way he did the first time.

This should be a wash. I hope Mayweather doesn't give him respect and goes after him like he did against Mosley.

Cshel86
QUOTE (pesticid @ Apr 18 2012, 07:04 PM) *
Damn, Hatton gets no respect, and even less since the Pacman loss. I guess it's easy to break-down his wins as bad ones, you can do that with any fighter (Bhop, Floyd, Zaghe, etc.)

Hatton was a very underrated champ. Nobody on Cotto's resume is better than Kostya. Cotto struggled with Malignaggi. Hatton outboxed him and had him stopped. Hatton's got two losses in two fights he wasn't supposed to win and went up in weight and fought a big Collazo, it was a close fight if anybody should've won it, it was Collazo but he was still game and aggressive as always.

Cotto on the other hand, the more I think about it, the less confident I am in his supposed "tool box"
Guy got beat by Margarito bad, he should've lost to Clottey where Clottey just tore his face out with clean punching, Pacman destroyed him. Struggled against Malignaggi, Ndou late, Mosley late rounds, that little Colombian landed 100 flush punches to his face for a round and a half. Besides Cotto's character was softer than Hatton's. He quits or gives up when shit isn't going his way. Hatton will do the opposite.

I am not fooled by Cotto's last fight. Cotto held more and Margarito had his eye messed up. Margarito was getting to Cotto late again and they stopped it. Margarito with a healthy eye stops Cotto the same way he did the first time.

This should be a wash. I hope Mayweather doesn't give him respect and goes after him like he did against Mosley.

I wouldn't say that Hatton doesn't get any respect...that would be a stretch....but an underrated champ?!...I doubt it. If anything, he was overrated with sub par competition and was another victim of being a "built up" fighter to beat the best.

His victories aren't in vain, but some people put a bit too much mustard on those victories over fighters that he fought on their way out of the sport. The Tzsyu and Castillo fights were "the fights" that the media used to convince the world that he was ready for world class competition.

Why, oh why? Sadly, he started to show signs of not being able to hang with decent/great boxers when he stepped in the ring with Collazo.

Im questioning how you could say that nobody on Cotto's resume is better than Kosta Tzsyu on Ricky's record, unless you're talking about his record at 140 lbs, even then, you're still off a bit. Let's get this straight, Kosta Tzsyu was at the end of his career, period. Cotto fought the likes of Corley, Bailey, an UNDEFEATED Malignaggi, and L. N'dou.

Most of the guys on Cotto's resume at 140 would've given Hatton the fight of his life. Oh yeah, let's keep these resumes strictly at 140 lbs, because Hatton's two assed-out loses to the highest rated fighters at WW, compare nothing to the remainder of guys that Cotto fought at WW (Quitana, Mosley, Clottey, Gomez, Judah, Margarito).

Of course they're the two biggest names to ever have on your resume, but moving up in weight to get your ass kicked, and moving back down to get knocked into Neverland like Hatton did, is only noteworthy when you're not on the receiving end of the highlight reel. Other than that, it was a sad sight to see, and nice money in his pocket (if he hasn't sniffed it all away by now).

Those fights made FMJ and Pac bigger stars, and made Hatton look like a naive college girl getting passed around after a long night of binge drinking with the frat boys.

How did Cotto struggle with Paulie when he made him look like he was cheeking a golf ball sized jawbreaker? I may have to go back and watch it, if you're insisting that Paulie somewhat exposed Cotto's boxing deficiency (if that's the case).

Hatton did nothing with Paulie but maul, lunge, clinch, etc. He showed some boxing skills in that fight, but seriously, he used those same ate-up Ricky tricks overall.
checkleft
Hatton would have gotten sparked by zab and even with the low blows cotto punished zab. Even though zab caught him with some otherworldy uppercuts
pesticid
Hatton's resume at 140 is better than Cotto's at 140. Hatton beats down Corley, Bailey and N'Dou. They are tailor made for him. Cotto was running away from Ndou even though he broke Ndou's rib.

Tzsuy wasn't past his prime, I have no idea where you get this. You can't support this with any facts.

You list Cotto's win over Malignaggi, which was a competitive fight in which Paulie connected more than a few times and even had Cotto stumbling from a shot or was it a few times that Cotto stumbled. Yet you discredit Hatton's complete domination of Paulie. In that fight it was Paulie who clinched and held cause he was being badly outboxed and hurt. Hatton didn't need to clinch in this fight, he wasn't fighting a strong Urango. Hatton gave Malignaggi a whooping which took a lot of Paulie's confidence away. His first stoppage. He came out of the Cotto fight as a better fighter but he left as a much worse fighter after what Hatton did to him.

He moved up to fight Collazo and while he may have been awarded a gift it was a very competitive fight where Collazo came on strong late in the fight. Hatton's frame isn't build for 147, yet he went ahead with an unheralded Collazo and bullied him with his t-rex arms. Fought Mayweather at the same weight even though it's not his best weight. But back to 140, Cotto would get bulldozed by Hatton at 140. Cotto doesn't like pressure. Mosley, N'dou, Margarito and nobody brought pressure like Hatton. Hatton before the Mayweather fight tears up Cotto at 140. He had beat an elite fighter, stopped the lineal champ. Cotto never beat anybody like that. He beat a past it Mosley at 147 and that's his biggest victory to date but he doesn't beat Hatton at 140.

pesticid
QUOTE (checkleft @ Apr 18 2012, 09:51 PM) *
Hatton would have gotten sparked by zab and even with the low blows cotto punished zab. Even though zab caught him with some otherworldy uppercuts

Zab is Zab. He can knock you out or he can get punked. Zab's lost so many times. I mean he got beat by Tata.
Zab had a chance to beat Kostya too only to get his lights cut off.
checkleft
Hatton was too small for 147. I maintain that, but he would have had trouble with zab and corley at 140. I don't think he's overrated but hes not top guy. He's not a pretty fighter but he is effective
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.