Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: PPV Numbers...Give it a Guess...
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
Cshel86
How much do you guys think Cotto vs Mayweather will do? I've been hearing some numbers thrown around...

Franchize
IT would have done even better if a new fight didn't drop off the undercard every week but I say it does about 1.3
thehype
haqtiq
All I know is I am buying it.
Cshel86
Man I've been hearing 2M, but as far Im know, that shit is a stretch. Knowing that Pacquiao/Cotto did 1.4M and Manny was an even hotter commodity back then, tells me that this fight wont do 2M...which is a hard number to reach.

I would say that anything over 1.4M will do, simply because Floyd did 1.25M with Victor, and that was his (Victor's) first time headlining a PPV. Cotto has done decent numbers in the past, but nothing too big (other than the Pac fight). The only fight I see doing 2M is the fight that we'll never see...
Jovi
Im going to say easily 1.7 to 2 million buys, definitely a record setter. Not only because the Mayweather, or even cotto (which this fight by itself would prob get 1.4-1.5 million), but because of Canelo Alverez, he's the crazy variable, but Mexican fans love this dude and always see him fight, ...."his last against Ryan Rhodes in Guadalajara, Mexico, three months ago was viewed by almost 40 MILLION PEOPLE IN MEXICO". His fight with Mosely just isnt as serious as Mayweather/Cotto (on paper). i dont wanna just throw numbers out there, but with all the followings i easily see this breaking records

(Mayweather + Cotto)+ Alverez=$$$$$$
Franchize
QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Apr 25 2012, 09:53 AM) *
Man I've been hearing 2M, but as far Im know, that shit is a stretch. Knowing that Pacquiao/Cotto did 1.4M and Manny was an even hotter commodity back then, tells me that this fight wont do 2M...which is a hard number to reach.

I would say that anything over 1.4M will do, simply because Floyd did 1.25M with Victor, and that was his (Victor's) first time headlining a PPV. Cotto has done decent numbers in the past, but nothing too big (other than the Pac fight). The only fight I see doing 2M is the fight that we'll never see...

One thing that will boost the numbers is that you have a Mexican, a Puerto Rican, a popular black guy and a hated black guy. Would have been great if the initial proposed undercard fights like Quillin vs Wright, Paulie vs the Ghost, Vargas vs Gomez were still on the card. You'd almost surely get every diehard fight fan that likes to watch the up and coming prospects. I still want to see how Lattimore looks as he gets continues to mesh with Jeff.
Thickback
They are pushing this fight pretty hard. Also, Floyd is creating extra interests with open sparring sessions and that wack ass Mayweather speaks out interview. So Imma say between 1.6-1.8. But I wonder how they will count the movie theater tickets????
Cshel86
QUOTE (Jovi @ Apr 25 2012, 11:00 AM) *
Im going to say easily 1.7 to 2 million buys, definitely a record setter.

You dont think that 2M is a bit far-fetched? I mean Cotto's an attraction, but I dont know. If I remember correctly, the Cotto/Pacquiao card had Chavez Jr., Yuri Foreman, Soto-Karass and Gomez on it, and it only did 1.4M. The rest of your post supports that 1.7M, but 2M?!

QUOTE (Franchize @ Apr 25 2012, 11:11 AM) *
One thing that will boost the numbers is that you have a Mexican, a Puerto Rican, a popular black guy and a hated black guy. Would have been great if the initial proposed undercard fights like Quillin vs Wright, Paulie vs the Ghost, Vargas vs Gomez were still on the card. You'd almost surely get every diehard fight fan that likes to watch the up and coming prospects. I still want to see how Lattimore looks as he gets continues to mesh with Jeff.

I actually enjoy this card more than his last card. We get...

Vargas vs TBA - WTF happened to Gomez?

Latimore vs Quitana - Carlos aint no bitch, so we'll see

Alvarez vs Mosley - Im more pumped about this one...

Cotto vs Mayweather - more of an event than a highly anticipated fight (as it was years ago)

To me, this is worth $70, and that's from a hardcore fan. Of course, us hardcore fans want cards that are stacked, but us hardcore fans know that we dont always get what we want in boxing. laugh.gif You have to take the good with the bad, and sometimes the bad ends up being the good highlight of the night.

Now, if Vargas/Gomez and Latimore/Quitana was a doubleheader on ShowBox or HBo, then I'd tune in. Would I pay for Alvarez vs Mosley? More than likely not, but curiosity would probably get the best of me.

Would I want to order Cotto vs Mayweather even more if I knew that Alvarez/Mosley was the co-main event? Hell yeah. NOW...if somebody told you that these fights are garbage and you're a fool for even tuning in, then chances are...you've just been bashed by a casual fan. laugh.gif
daprofessor
i don't typically support ppv cards. i think they are what has helped diminish viewership for boxing. however, this match up is ppv worthy imo. i think it will do well because real fight fans know this is going to be a real test for floyd. real tests usually bring out the best in him. it's been a very long time coming. unfortunately, after this fight....and pac/bradley....the mustard will be off the hot dog. floyd/pac isn't going to be ppv worthy after bradley gets through with pac.
Hotsauce
QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Apr 25 2012, 11:01 AM) *
You dont think that 2M is a bit far-fetched? I mean Cotto's an attraction, but I dont know. If I remember correctly, the Cotto/Pacquiao card had Chavez Jr., Yuri Foreman, Soto-Karass and Gomez on it, and it only did 1.4M. The rest of your post supports that 1.7M, but 2M?!

I actually enjoy this card more than his last card. We get...

Vargas vs TBA - WTF happened to Gomez?

Latimore vs Quitana - Carlos aint no bitch, so we'll see

Alvarez vs Mosley - Im more pumped about this one...

Cotto vs Mayweather - more of an event than a highly anticipated fight (as it was years ago)

To me, this is worth $70, and that's from a hardcore fan. Of course, us hardcore fans want cards that are stacked, but us hardcore fans know that we dont always get what we want in boxing. laugh.gif You have to take the good with the bad, and sometimes the bad ends up being the good highlight of the night.

Now, if Vargas/Gomez and Latimore/Quitana was a doubleheader on ShowBox or HBo, then I'd tune in. Would I pay for Alvarez vs Mosley? More than likely not, but curiosity would probably get the best of me.

Would I want to order Cotto vs Mayweather even more if I knew that Alvarez/Mosley was the co-main event? Hell yeah. NOW...if somebody told you that these fights are garbage and you're a fool for even tuning in, then chances are...you've just been bashed by a casual fan. laugh.gif

its vargas vs forbes now
pesticid
I got a couple of friends coming over my house to watch it. Last ppv I bought was Margarito vs Cotto 2 and I wasn't happy with it.
I liked the Barrera vs JMM pay per view for my dollars the most.
sduck
Won't do no better than 1.4m
BigDDatHomey
QUOTE (sduck @ Apr 25 2012, 07:01 PM) *
Won't do no better than 1.4m

I'm going 1.8.
bnoles4life
I'm gonna go 1.5-1.6 for the following reasons:

1. Floyd vs TBA does 1M buys, so adding Cotto.....

2. PRs will be supporting Cotto

3. People tune in to see Floyd (deep down most KNOW he likely won't) lose

4. It's Cinco de Mayo, so Mexicans fans will buy anything remotely associated w/ a fight on that wknd.

5. People are foolishly still following and comparing the May vs. Pac mythical saga.

I don't see 2M coming outta this fight.
MaxPayne
I think the fight does around 1.3 MM. It's a conservative estimate, but I just think breaking the 1.4 MM mark is beyond this fight card.
Jovi
lol ok simple logic for my 1.7-2M ppv logic

Floyd- easily makes 1M per fight now. He has been putting up numbers, and though i would say it was also because of the other fighters followings, the numbers against ortiz were pretty good....honestly i just like watching him fight, i appreciate the technical skill. And most other fight fans do to. (1 million)

Cotto- As a puertorican champion, cotto has fans, a good amount, he put up numbers against margacheato. not million ppv contributes, but a solid (500k)

this fight alone would have been 1.5 million with just these 2. ......but we also gotta rememeber the fight does have an undercard with actual important fighters this time smile.gif, well atleast for half

Alvarez- The new rising mexican star, home boy has a WHOLE COUNTRY FOLLOWING, boxing is a popular sport in mexico, thats why JCC Jr is so popular too. He had a fight that veiwed by 40 MILLION PEOPLE!! what!!! thats more than every state i think lol. So if outta his mexican fans, even a few buy it, im easily seeing ATLEAST (1 million)...i wanna say 2 million

Mosely- ehhhh anyone i see buying the fight for him would also be buying the fight for the other 3 but just because its my nigga mosely ill just throw in an extra (100k)...ill let this number contribute to the rest of the undercard for the sake of my argument

1million + 1million + 500K +100K= 2,600,000 ppv buys..Minimum................HAHA if Mayweather vs De la Hoya did 2.45 million what makes you think this cant do better. mayweather is bigger , cotto is bigger, and so is canelo....My nigga money may had this planned out from the jump. Just think about it.
Cshel86
QUOTE (Jovi @ Apr 26 2012, 12:43 AM) *
1million + 1million + 500K +100K= 2,600,000 ppv buys..Minimum................HAHA if Mayweather vs De la Hoya did 2.45 million what makes you think this cant do better. mayweather is bigger , cotto is bigger, and so is canelo....

You CANT be serious about this bogus number that you put out there man, seriously. Mayweather does strong numbers, but Im sure his opponents have something to do with it. Cotto does decent numbers, but the highest that he ever did, was with Pacquiao.

Hell, Im not even sure if Cotto's last fight did 1M buys. Now, if Cotto were to have beaten Margs in the first fight, and gave Pacquiao shit or beat him, then him going into this fight undefeated, would be a big thing.

I dont see anything other than the "biggest fight that will never happen" topping Mayweather/De La Hoya, possibly. You have to look at this from a casual fan's view...and honestly, between Canelo and Mosley...Mosley's more known than Canelo.

Yeah Canelo may have al of these viewers, but veiwers and buyers are two different things. I will say that 2.6M or more people may be watching this card on May 5th, but I cant say that 2.6M people will buy it.

Hell, Chavez Jr. has MANY viewers (just as many as Canelo), but if both of these guy were to headline their own PPV cards tomorrow, those buys wouldn't be so huge. The casual fan will watch on May 5th and ask, "Dang, who is this redheaded kid fighting Shane?"...not the other way around, so that 500k for Canelo and that 100k for Mosley is all backwards.

I know that some guys are excited about this fight, but let's not put too much mustard on it. A fight that's looking to break records (especially 2M and up) is going to be promoted like crazy.

Not saying that this fight hasn't been promoted well, but Mayweather/Del La Hoya was pushed HARD, I mean I couldn't turn a corner or scratch my ass without seeing an advertisement for it.

This fight will do good, but 2.6M is waaay out there...
Plah
1.55 or 1.6
Hotsauce
QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Apr 26 2012, 08:35 AM) *

You CANT be serious about this bogus number that you put out there man, seriously. Mayweather does strong numbers, but Im sure his opponents have something to do with it. Cotto does decent numbers, but the highest that he ever did, was with Pacquiao.

Hell, Im not even sure if Cotto's last fight did 1M buys. Now, if Cotto were to have beaten Margs in the first fight, and gave Pacquiao shit or beat him, then him going into this fight undefeated, would be a big thing.

I dont see anything other than the "biggest fight that will never happen" topping Mayweather/De La Hoya, possibly. You have to look at this from a casual fan's view...and honestly, between Canelo and Mosley...Mosley's more known than Canelo.

Yeah Canelo may have al of these viewers, but veiwers and buyers are two different things. I will say that 2.6M or more people may be watching this card on May 5th, but I cant say that 2.6M people will buy it.

Hell, Chavez Jr. has MANY viewers (just as many as Canelo), but if both of these guy were to headline their own PPV cards tomorrow, those buys wouldn't be so huge. The casual fan will watch on May 5th and ask, "Dang, who is this redheaded kid fighting Shane?"...not the other way around, so that 500k for Canelo and that 100k for Mosley is all backwards.

I know that some guys are excited about this fight, but let's not put too much mustard on it. A fight that's looking to break records (especially 2M and up) is going to be promoted like crazy.

Not saying that this fight hasn't been promoted well, but Mayweather/Del La Hoya was pushed HARD, I mean I couldn't turn a corner or scratch my ass without seeing an advertisement for it.

This fight will do good, but 2.6M is waaay out there...

lmao dude on that stuff
Cheesey1
The reasons already laid out by other posters as to why this will probably do at least 1.5MM PPVs will probably be proven right, but who knows...
MaxPayne
I did some research and had some interesting findings. The Pacquiao - Cotto fight had Chavez Jr. and Foreman on it. It allegedly did 1.25 MM buys (although the Bobfather is notorious for inflating numbers).

In any event, with Mayweather vs. Cotto, and Canelo vs. Sweet N' Low Mosley, this fight should beat that mark, although the closer you get to 1.4 and 1.5, the harder it gets to actually breaking those barriers.

Is it conceivable that it might cross 1.5 MM buys ? Sure.
Sunni6Killer
1.26 million.
daprofessor
1.i-don't-give-a-fuck-i'm-not-getting-a-check-from-this-shit-anyway-million. laugh.gif

seriously....boxing is the only sport where fans try to predict ppv buys. are we that brainwashed!?!?!? huh.gif
Franchize
QUOTE (daprofessor @ May 1 2012, 02:44 AM) *
1.i-don't-give-a-fuck-i'm-not-getting-a-check-from-this-shit-anyway-million. laugh.gif

seriously....boxing is the only sport where fans try to predict ppv buys. are we that brainwashed!?!?!? huh.gif

It's also one of the only sports on PPV

I think one thing that might push people away from buying is how surprisingly dull the 24/7 has been for this fight. Cotto is boooooooring lol. If I see him cry or wear a something bright pink or slap Brian on the ass again...I'm gonna have to call a spade a spade lmao laugh.gif
daprofessor
QUOTE (Franchize @ May 1 2012, 01:09 PM) *

I think one thing that might push people away from buying is how surprisingly dull the 24/7 has been for this fight. Cotto is boooooooring lol. If I see him cry or wear a something bright pink or slap Brian on the ass again...I'm gonna have to call a spade a spade lmao laugh.gif

cotto is boring outside the ring but actually, i find floyds and 50's bro-mance a lot more annoying. laugh.gif i don't think a good fight needs to be sold. all the shit talking in the world isn't going to make me any more excited than i am already.
Franchize
QUOTE (daprofessor @ May 1 2012, 01:14 PM) *
cotto is boring outside the ring but actually, i find floyds and 50's bro-mance a lot more annoying. laugh.gif i don't think a good fight needs to be sold. all the shit talking in the world isn't going to make me any more excited than i am already.

Well you're better than me because I was suckered into thinking David Gay vs Vladimir Klinchhold was going to be a good fight simply because of the faceoff
Cshel86
QUOTE (Franchize @ May 1 2012, 01:09 PM) *

Cant forgot about WWE, because they've done some decent numbers. Oh wait, WWE aint a sport. My bad...

As for the 24/7, it has declined a bit, but we can place the majority of that on Cotto. As a matter of fact, we cant even blame him, because we knew he was boring before the fight was signed, and according to his past 24/7 segments.

QUOTE (daprofessor @ May 1 2012, 01:14 PM) *

The bromance is getting out of hand, seriously. Oh yeah, can somebody tell Ellerbe that his goatee isn't cool.
daprofessor
QUOTE (Franchize @ May 1 2012, 01:17 PM) *
Well you're better than me because I was suckered into thinking David Gay vs Vladimir Klinchhold was going to be a good fight simply because of the faceoff

not really. i was suckered in as well. i just learned my lesson in that one! laugh.gif

laugh.gif @ klinchhold
daprofessor
QUOTE (Cshel86 @ May 1 2012, 01:55 PM) *
Cant forgot about WWE, because they've done some decent numbers. Oh wait, WWE aint a sport. My bad...

As for the 24/7, it has declined a bit, but we can place the majority of that on Cotto. As a matter of fact, we cant even blame him, because we knew he was boring before the fight was signed, and according to his past 24/7 segments.

The bromance is getting out of hand, seriously. Oh yeah, can somebody tell Ellerbe that his goatee isn't cool.

what's wrong with goatees? huh.gif unsure.gif
Cshel86
QUOTE (daprofessor @ May 1 2012, 02:39 PM) *
what's wrong with goatees? huh.gif unsure.gif

Whats wrong with it? For starters, somebody told him it was cool. Have you seen it? Really cant miss that shit.
Franchize
Ellerbe's goatee is terrible. I don't mind goatees but that shit is crazy crooked. That upside down trapezoid reminds me of 3rd grade geometry. Looks like European basketball on his face lol

As for the 24/7, I didn't expect Cotto to be super exciting. I did however expect to see way more TiTi shots of Melissa. Instead all I'm seeing is TiTi shots of Brian. Smack your wife on the ass dude...not your best friend. I'm so tired of seeing Brian walk around looking like a Ziploc bag full of Mayo.

On a more serious note, what effect does the fight being showed in theatres have on the PPV sales? How do they get factored in? Is it by ticket sales?
Sunni6Killer
Hotsauce
QUOTE (Franchize @ May 3 2012, 03:16 PM) *
Ellerbe's goatee is terrible. I don't mind goatees but that shit is crazy crooked. That upside down trapezoid reminds me of 3rd grade geometry. Looks like European basketball on his face lol

As for the 24/7, I didn't expect Cotto to be super exciting. I did however expect to see way more TiTi shots of Melissa. Instead all I'm seeing is TiTi shots of Brian. Smack your wife on the ass dude...not your best friend. I'm so tired of seeing Brian walk around looking like a Ziploc bag full of Mayo.

On a more serious note, what effect does the fight being showed in theatres have on the PPV sales? How do they get factored in? Is it by ticket sales?

laugh.gif
Truthboxing928
QUOTE (Jovi @ Apr 25 2012, 08:00 AM) *
Im going to say easily 1.7 to 2 million buys, definitely a record setter. Not only because the Mayweather, or even cotto (which this fight by itself would prob get 1.4-1.5 million), but because of Canelo Alverez, he's the crazy variable, but Mexican fans love this dude and always see him fight, ...."his last against Ryan Rhodes in Guadalajara, Mexico, three months ago was viewed by almost 40 MILLION PEOPLE IN MEXICO". His fight with Mosely just isnt as serious as Mayweather/Cotto (on paper). i dont wanna just throw numbers out there, but with all the followings i easily see this breaking records

(Mayweather + Cotto)+ Alverez=$$$$$$

You are so right my friend! The only reason i see this fight doin well on numbers is because Canelos on it. Other than that, it would still do ok, but not as well with Canelo. I say about 1.7 to 2mil and without 1.0 to 1.3
Hotsauce
QUOTE (Truthboxing928 @ May 4 2012, 12:54 PM) *
You are so right my friend! The only reason i see this fight doin well on numbers is because Canelos on it. Other than that, it would still do ok, but not as well with Canelo. I say about 1.7 to 2mil and without 1.0 to 1.3

wtf?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.