Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Weekend in Boxing: Fully Loaded- FNF, HBO, SHO
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
Cheesey1
UPDATED - now includes Paulie 'Magic Man' Malignaggi

Definitely a fully loaded weekend of boxing! As always, this isn't everything that's on this weekend.

A lot of light heavyweight matches. A division that I like because 175lbers can be very strong, can have insane technical ability and still be very fast. Same thing for 168lbrs, but lt. heavy's are obviously stronger.

FRIDAY:
International-
Tony 'Bomber' Bellew vs. Danny 'The Big Mac' McIntosh @ 175lbs - Even though McIntosh is the Big Mac, I think that Tony Bellew's the big name in this one. I'm not such a fan of Bellew's and think that if Cleverly fought him again, he'd beat him even more convincingly. Nonethless, Bellew/McIntosh should be an entertaining scrap.

FNF-
Ismayl Sillakh vs. Denis 'the Pirate' Grachev @ 175lbs - I'm a big fan of Sillakh's. His well balanced and punishing win over the promising young Cuban boxer, Yordanis Despaigne, on FNF was an eye opener. Don't know much about Grachev, but he's undefeated and Syllakh should not look past him.

Javier 'el Abejon' Fortuna vs. Yuandale 'Money Shot' Evans @ 130lbs - Both guys are undefeated. Someone's '0' has got to go!

SHO-
Thomas 'Tommy Gun' Oosthuizen vs. Marcus 'Too Much' Johnson @ 168lbs - The undefeated South African takes on the one defeat having Marcus Johnson.

Luis 'Orlandito' Del Valle vs. Christopher 'S.D. Kid' Martin @ 122lbs - This division was highlighted in last weekend's boxing (with these small guys, until they get to 135, for me they're almost all in the same divsion). Del Valle's undefeated, Martin's got one loss.

Joe 'the Future' Hanks vs. Marcus 'the Regulator' Rhode@ HW - Joe 'the Future' Hanks is young and undefeated. Rhode is either the sacrificial lamb, or a veteran test - more likely the lamb to the slaughter (or the spoiler).

SATURDAY:
HBO-
Bernard 'the Executioner' Hopkins vs. 'Bad' Chad Dawson @ 175lbs - A rematch that should have fight fans interested. I know that I am.

Seth 'Mayhem' Mitchell vs. Chazz "the Gentleman' Witherspoon @ HW - Mitchell's the 'establishment' guy and Witherspoon's planning on raining on that parade. Could be a solid HW match!

SUNDAY:
Integrated Sports PPV - 1PM ET
Vyacheslav Senchenko vs. Paulie 'Magic Man' Malignaggi @ 147lbs - Senchenko's undefeated, but the question is what was the quality of opposition and we all know that Paulie's been in there with some top names. Can Paulie make Brooklyn as proud as Zab Judah recently did?
mitukczuk
Nice review.

Ismayl Sillakh vs. Denis 'the Pirate' Grachev

this and

Bernard 'the Executioner' Hopkins vs. 'Bad' Chad Dawson

got me interested, but other than that...meh.
I am really hoping to see Dawson whooping Bernard's ass. But ironically, I am not rooting for any of the two I would just love to see that. Realistically, I see Dawson do the same thing to Hopkins, that Taylor did. Dawson has yet to reach his full potential, hes got some nice skills and it would be great if he broke through in this fight.
Cheesey1
QUOTE (mitukczuk @ Apr 26 2012, 06:20 PM) *
Nice review.

Ismayl Sillakh vs. Denis 'the Pirate' Grachev

this and

Bernard 'the Executioner' Hopkins vs. 'Bad' Chad Dawson

got me interested, but other than that...meh.
I am really hoping to see Dawson whooping Bernard's ass. But ironically, I am not rooting for any of the two I would just love to see that. Realistically, I see Dawson do the same thing to Hopkins, that Taylor did. Dawson has yet to reach his full potential, hes got some nice skills and it would be great if he broke through in this fight.

Thanks.

Yup, I agree, those are the two top matches. I think that Dawson will do a better job against BHop than Taylor did, partially because BHop will definitely show some of his age, but I think that Dawson could finally live up to expectations (no pressure Chad..).

I'm hoping that Seth Mitchell vs. Chazz Witherspoon is interesting and that British bout could be interesting. Haha, I don't get out much, so I've definitely got a Friday afternoon to spare to watch it.

I'm happy with this weekend as a first course to the main course that's coming next weekend.
sduck
I'm expecting Malignaggi to make Brooklyn proud. I'm also expecting Hopkins to get away with a tight decision. Dawson will start off strong, but he won't be able to control the later fight.
Cheesey1
QUOTE (sduck @ Apr 27 2012, 03:18 AM) *
I'm expecting Malignaggi to make Brooklyn proud. I'm also expecting Hopkins to get away with a tight decision. Dawson will start off strong, but he won't be able to control the later fight.

I don't think that I've ever seen Senchenko, but an Italian American vs. a Russian (Ukrainian) has Brooklyn written all over it.... Maybe I'll watch some of Senchenko's bouts on YouTube, but on the surface, yeah, I don't see any reason not to pick 'the Magic Man.'
Cheesey1
Bellew did the business against McIntosh. I only saw the last two rounds. Still not impressed by Bellew, but if he gets a match against a top light heavy, I'll watch him again.
Cheesey1
FNF is on and poppin.' Too lazy to create a separate thread.

ESPN's douchey announcer (not Sesame Street) just had to mention that FM was going to jail after the Cotto bout. Nice.

Alright, here we go, it's battle of the '0's!!!
Cheesey1
Ding ding:

Damn!!! I didn't even finish typing my rd by rd!

I thought that Evans was actually ahead and then bam!!!!!!!

I'd watch a rematch with these guys. I think that Evans will be smarter the next time around, but congrats to Fortuna.
Cheesey1
First the KO in the Bellew bout, then this. So far so great!

When (if) Dawson beats BHop tomorrow, I think that he can be a good champion. As Teddy said as long as Bad Chad uses the jab and controls distance, it's a wrizap.
Cheesey1
Alright, some filler boxing action here. Didn't catch their names. It's a 4 rounder, so maybe time to walk to the fridge.
Cheesey1
Rd. 2 - Some good body work by both tomato cans.

Fuentes doing more, but Montes landed some decent ones earlier.

Montes would make his life a lot easier if he threw a jab, but not a crap jab. Fuentes clearly winning.
Cheesey1
Haha, Teddy just corrected the co-commentator (can you tell me how to get, how to get to..)!

These guys are letting the leather fly. Okay, they've slowed down for the rest of the round.

ESPN, definitely rubbing their hands with glee over FM going to jail. Pretty lame.
Cheesey1
WTF?

Reporter to Floyd: "If you were fighting Floyd Mayweather what would you do to beat Floyd Mayweather?" Yes Floyd tell the world how to beat you. Wow, sesame street is out of control.

I'm muting ESPN until Teddy speaks.

Preach brother Teddy!! Preach!!
Cheesey1
Okay, it's Ismayl Sillakh vs. 'The Pirate'.

First the patented "Fight Plan" with the man Teddy A and Saul.

Round 1!

Sillakh's left jab's looking good, but as Teddy said he needs to watch keeping that left low.

As long as Sillakh doesn't slack on the d, he's going to beat up Grachev. First round to Sillakh. Good accuracy and he can keep working from behind the jab.
Cheesey1
Sillakh is fighting a very good fight. Stick and move and when it's there he's going for the combo. The knuckle sandwich combo!

Nice right by Sillakh. Even before the knockdown.

Oh my gosh. The espn sesame street guy is melting my brain with his commentary. What the hell. We get it, Grachev used to be a kick boxer. So? He;s a boxer now isn't he? Undefeated (until tonight), no?
Cheesey1
If Sillakh starts going to the body, Grachev won't last, he just has to make sure that he doesn't get caught.

Couple of decent uppercuts from Ismayl.
Cheesey1
Sillakh's won every round so far (duh).

The crowd are pretty moronic.

Add some body shots to the mix Sillakh.

Best round by Grachev, but he's starting to show the effects of the beat down.

Sillakh needs to continue to break Grachev down by adding some body work to the mix.
Cheesey1
Oh damn!!!! My man got KTFO'd!

Well I did say that Sillakh (Teddy said it as well) had to watch out for the right. Grachev should give Sillakh a rematch. He won't and doesn't need to either, but it would be nice if he does.

I'd pick Sillakh in the rematch. He could've made it out of that round if he just kept his left up, or even taken a knee.
Cheesey1
On to ShoBox. Del Valle vs. Martin's about to pop off. So far it's been all KOs (except for the four rounder, but that one wasn't even meant to be shown). Could this one keep the streak going? Haha, why am I asking myself?
Cheesey1
Nothing too compelling so far about this one. Del Valle does look like the better of the two, but its still early.
Cheesey1
Rd. 5. Del Valle hasn't really hurt Martin, but I've got him ahead.

Nope, he hurt him there - rd. 7.
Cheesey1
The more I pay attention to it, the boxing hall of fame definitely seems to be another example of this problem in boxing where the guys outside of the ring get as much press as the guys inside of the ring, which is ridiculous.
Cheesey1
8th round is pretty good
Cshel86
Aw damn Cheesey, I feel like shit for not being in this thread this evening. It was "one of those" Friday nights where anything goes...needless to say, I got caught up this time.

I have the fights recorded, so i'll watch them in the morning...looks like I missed out...especially for the first bout.
Cheesey1
QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Apr 28 2012, 02:05 AM) *
Aw damn Cheesey, I feel like shit for not being in this thread this evening. It was "one of those" Friday nights where anything goes...needless to say, I got caught up this time.

I have the fights recorded, so i'll watch them in the morning...looks like I missed out...especially for the first bout.

No problem. Nice one on the fun Friday night. I'm on the inside looking out, lockdown's a biatch...

It was a boxing marathon for me yesterday. I started with the Bellew match at 4/5. I dozed off a bit during ShoBox, but Oosthuizen looked decent as did Del Valle. Oosthuizen's in a deep division that might be too much for him and Del Valle's still a youngster, but their opponents weren't bums so good wins for both of them.
Cshel86
QUOTE (Cheesey1 @ Apr 28 2012, 09:40 AM) *
No problem. Nice one on the fun Friday night. I'm on the inside looking out, lockdown's a biatch...

It was a boxing marathon for me yesterday. I started with the Bellew match at 4/5. I dozed off a bit during ShoBox, but Oosthuizen looked decent as did Del Valle. Oosthuizen's in a deep division that might be too much for him and Del Valle's still a youngster, but their opponents weren't bums so good wins for both of them.

Yeah they got me last night, but not tonight...I dont miss too many fights. laugh.gif Then reading this thread with round by round action, really makes me wish I didn't miss it...thank God for DVR.

I haven't missed a fight since the Martinez/Macklin fight, but before that...it had a WHILE. I'll catch up on these bouts later...gotta shake off last night's festivities.
checkleft
Damn FNF was nice. What's up with Martinez trainer? That guy is on a roll! It seems like all of his fighters look great! Fortuna sparked that dude up, and that guy looked like he had some talent.

Smh sillakh
Cheesey1
QUOTE (checkleft @ Apr 28 2012, 03:08 PM) *
Damn FNF was nice. What's up with Martinez trainer? That guy is on a roll! It seems like all of his fighters look great! Fortuna sparked that dude up, and that guy looked like he had some talent.

Smh sillakh

Yeah, Sillakh played himself, big time. He was beating the snot out of Grachev, but messed up by not going to the body at all and obviously not protecting himself properly. Nonetheless, Grachev proved that isn't all about technique, although Sillakh lost because he didn't properly apply his technique.

FNF definitely lived up to billing, but it'll have to be watched with mute on from now on, except for when Teddy's speaking (Joe Tessitore too).
VJones
Finally watched Hopkins vs Dawson I. In a word: hilarious! Smh. Oh the drama. But it really has me psyched now for the fight tonight. And I couldn't get myself interested in watching the first fight until now, so this is saying a lot!

I'm a fan of Bernard Hopkins, man and fighter (though his style is an ugly masterpiece, his brilliance is undeniable in my book). Chad Dawson on the other hand has been a great disappointment. Soooooo much talent and skill...yet no fire or ring intellect. He's a simple machine. Anyway, I admit my bias, but I don't think X was faking the injury...I do think he could have continued had he been given the choice, however.

Anyway, I'm actually excited now, because with all the back and forth and now legitimate 'bad blood', I think (hope) Dawson comes out aggressive and shows us something new and makes it an exciting fight. My expectation is that Bernard saw and felt all he needed to in those couple rounds to figure out how to nullify Dawson's strengths. So I'm picking X by SD.
Cshel86
Dammit! Those hooks by Fortuna are a sure as shit way for somebody to meet their maker. He floored Evans! I wish Evans would have just taken a knee after his glove touched the canvas, though the ref didn't rule it a knockdown for some God awful reason. Whew!
Cshel86
How fuckin' naive is this ref??? Didn't he see how Evans fell the first time? He almost didn't get up the first time, then he was groggy as hell when he finally got to his feet. Cant believe the ref let that go on...that's how guys get brain damage.
Cshel86
My God! This Montes/Fuentes bout did not fail to impress! They left it ALL in the ring! Im just wonder how in the hell one of the judges scored the first round 10 - 8, when there was no count?
Cshel86
Gotta love Atlas for speaking the truth! Dude doesn't care who loves or hates him...
Cshel86
QUOTE (Cheesey1 @ Apr 27 2012, 11:36 PM) *
Oh damn!!!! My man got KTFO'd!

Well I did say that Sillakh (Teddy said it as well) had to watch out for the right. Grachev should give Sillakh a rematch. He won't and doesn't need to either, but it would be nice if he does.

I'd pick Sillakh in the rematch. He could've made it out of that round if he just kept his left up, or even taken a knee.

WTF!!! That was wild as hell! Damn! That right hand landed, and Sillahk was too damn stupid to take a knee. That last left hand put him out of his misery...

I've seen Atlas lose his shit as a trainer between rounds, but he let loose at the end of this fight as a commentator! Endings like this go to show people that ONE PUNCH can change a fight, whether it happens early or late. Just to think, Sillahk was a 10 -1 favorite...let's not rule out this type of ending in the May 5th fight.

Leave it to a nuthugger...they're already giving Floyd the W next weekend, and any further wins in the future. THIS fight's result is the main reason that I'm giving Cotto a chance on May 5th.
Cheesey1
QUOTE (VJones @ Apr 28 2012, 03:56 PM) *
Finally watched Hopkins vs Dawson I. In a word: hilarious! Smh. Oh the drama. But it really has me psyched now for the fight tonight. And I couldn't get myself interested in watching the first fight until now, so this is saying a lot!

I'm a fan of Bernard Hopkins, man and fighter (though his style is an ugly masterpiece, his brilliance is undeniable in my book). Chad Dawson on the other hand has been a great disappointment. Soooooo much talent and skill...yet no fire or ring intellect. He's a simple machine. Anyway, I admit my bias, but I don't think X was faking the injury...I do think he could have continued had he been given the choice, however.

Anyway, I'm actually excited now, because with all the back and forth and now legitimate 'bad blood', I think (hope) Dawson comes out aggressive and shows us something new and makes it an exciting fight. My expectation is that Bernard saw and felt all he needed to in those couple rounds to figure out how to nullify Dawson's strengths. So I'm picking X by SD.

Cool.

I'm going with Dawson. As long as he can keep BHop off of him, punish that old body, don't get sloppy with D and it should be a very nice W for Dawson.
Cheesey1
QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Apr 28 2012, 04:24 PM) *
How fuckin' naive is this ref??? Didn't he see how Evans fell the first time? He almost didn't get up the first time, then he was groggy as hell when he finally got to his feet. Cant believe the ref let that go on...that's how guys get brain damage.

Yup.
Cheesey1
QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Apr 28 2012, 05:36 PM) *
WTF!!! That was wild as hell! Damn! That right hand landed, and Sillahk was too damn stupid to take a knee. That last left hand put him out of his misery...

I've seen Atlas lose his shit as a trainer between rounds, but he let loose at the end of this fight as a commentator! Endings like this go to show people that ONE PUNCH can change a fight, whether it happens early or late. Just to think, Sillahk was a 10 -1 favorite...let's not rule out this type of ending in the May 5th fight.

Leave it to a nuthugger...they're already giving Floyd the W next weekend, and any further wins in the future. THIS fight's result is the main reason that I'm giving Cotto a chance on May 5th.

I was thinking the same thing about Mayweather/Cotto after Grachev's upset. Up until then he had lost every round.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.