Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Official Cotto vs. Mayweather Preview/Prediction Thread With Poll!
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
Jack 1000
This thread is for all preview comments about the Mayweather-Cotto fight. Does Cotto have a chance to shock the world? Will he make it at least a competititve fight? Or does Floyd win this one, going away? Vote in our poll as well!

***Important: Any discussions of Mayweather-Pacquaio should only go inside of the pinned up thread provided for that fight. Remember this thread is ONLY for preview discussion of all things Mayweather-Cotto, including any pre-fight information and the Mayweather-Cotto undercard***

Jack

Administrator
Jack 1000
Floyd by 116-112 and 117-111 twice. Floyd too slick and fast. Cotto too slow and vulnerable to cutting. Cotto might make things interesting early, but after round 4 or so, it is pretty much all Floyd.

Jack
Hotsauce
cotto by KO
Cshel86
QUOTE (Hotsauce @ Apr 29 2012, 07:07 PM) *
cotto by KO

That's why you're my dog Hotsauce! As for that article about the tickets, I have no idea how to address that. Lol
sduck
Lol yall just want Cotto to win, or don't want to be too much on Floyd's nuts... But I change my stance a bit on this fight, or how I had it from the start until I started to sway a bit. I think the first few rounds will be very competitive, then Floyd gonna figure him out later in the fight and shut him down. This is typical of Floyd, most people don't understand how good this dude is. He's a technical boxer, very physically gifted, always thinking, operating like a surgeon. There may be knockdowns, either side, or slips. Cotto is a solid boxer, he's been mainly boxing for most his fights now. Hes starting to clinch a little bit, his foot movement has improved. Not a huge improvement overall, especially in defense. Hes going to have to keep his hands up, establish a jab, try to bully Floyd. He could make it a very competitive fight all the way through, but I don't see him winning the fight. It will most-likely go to a decision. UD for Floyd. Floyd COULD get the TKO if this Cotto gasses out and stops punching later in the fight. Floyd said he was going for the KO, it's unlikely for him to get KOs, even TKOs. If he does, it will be surprising but marginally expected. You know in his two defeats, you can say he was cheated, but evidence shows when Cotto's actually outclassed he gives up the fight. But it will be a good fight, no bullshit, more competitive than Floyd's fight with Mosley. Lets see the results.
Hotsauce
QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Apr 29 2012, 06:23 PM) *
That's why you're my dog Hotsauce! As for that article about the tickets, I have no idea how to address that. Lol

lol i was waiting on your response
Jack 1000
QUOTE (sduck @ Apr 29 2012, 08:29 PM) *
Lol yall just want Cotto to win, or don't want to be too much on Floyd's nuts... But I change my stance a bit on this fight, or how I had it from the start until I started to sway a bit. I think the first few rounds will be very competitive, then Floyd gonna figure him out later in the fight and shut him down. This is typical of Floyd, most people don't understand how good this dude is. He's a technical boxer, very physically gifted, always thinking, operating like a surgeon. There may be knockdowns, either side, or slips. Cotto is a solid boxer, he's been mainly boxing for most his fights now. Hes starting to clinch a little bit, his foot movement has improved. Not a huge improvement overall, especially in defense. Hes going to have to keep his hands up, establish a jab, try to bully Floyd. He could make it a very competitive fight all the way through, but I don't see him winning the fight. It will most-likely go to a decision. UD for Floyd. Floyd COULD get the TKO if this Cotto gasses out and stops punching later in the fight. Floyd said he was going for the KO, it's unlikely for him to get KOs, even TKOs. If he does, it will be surprising but marginally expected. You know in his two defeats, you can say he was cheated, but evidence shows when Cotto's actually outclassed he gives up the fight. But it will be a good fight, no bullshit, more competitive than Floyd's fight with Mosley. Lets see the results.

Cotto's got the power. He needs to be the bull and bully by roughing up Floyd like Castillo did the first time. But you need more than power to beat Floyd. I think a PRIME Cotto could do it, but not this Cotto. He's too shopworn. If he gasses out late, I agree Floyd could get a TKO. The smart money has to be Floyd by UD.

Jack
Cshel86
Alright guys, fight week is upon us! My advice to all fighters on this card...dont do ANY running this week, just use the cycle. Spar with your children, nieces, nephews, whoever...we dont need any injuries this week. Find the biggest pillow that you can, hang it up, and proceed to banging it like a heavy bag...wouldn't want those hands to get hurt. Again, we dont need ANY excitement leading up to the fight, as it's been clear in EVERY sport that injuries usually occur in training.

Mayweather/Cotto:

Ha! I see that Im still the only one that voted for Cotto by TKO. If any body saw FNF this past weekend, then we all know that all it takes is one punch to change or stop a fight.

Im speaking on behalf of the fall of Ismayl Sillakh at the hands of Grachev, when he got caught with a right hand and was finished off in the 8th round, in which Grachev lost virtually every round up to that point. All it takes is one shot, and the overlooked Cotto could be the one to deliver it...Cotto by TKO.

Alvarez/Mosley:

Shane floors the Notre Dame mascot, period. If anything, Shane's fast enough to get to Canelo's chin, and hopefully he's smart enough to not bust his wad after a good shot like he did against Floyd. Alvarez has the power to hurt and stop Shane, but he'll have to play Shane's game to do so.

Mosley isn't the best boxer out there (because he doesn't have a jab and can't stay out of the way of one), but neither is Canelo...survey says, the best of the two "not so good" boxers (Shane) will make Alvarez play into his bullshit and land "the big shot". Hopefully...

Lattimore/Quitana:

Boy...this wont be a walk in the park for Lattimore, who had lost a fight or two not too long ago, and considered quitting the sport. What the fuck is up with these new age fighters?

As I mentioned earlier about Sillakh controlling the fight for 7 to 8 rounds, then getting caught and stopped...same shit happened to Lattimore a couple of months ago on ShowBox...except he survived.

Nunez was a last-minute opponent, who was being bullied around the ring by Deandre, then BOOM!...he catches Lattimore across the top (temple shot) and drops him (in the 9th round I believe). Gladly, it happened at the end of the round, but still, it happened...shit happens.

Vargas/Forbes:

Sigh..who cares about 2-Pounds at this point? He's a great sparring partner, and is still a bit slick in the ring. Problem is, dude has no power...harmless as a baby's ass. He got stopped about a year ago (or close to it), then suffered a NASTY cut on FNF, in which I believe he lost on the cards in that fight.

Vargas has been getting better, and his opponents have been bringing the best out of him. He just needs to control his temper in the ring, and not get tricked into a slugfest with everybody he fights...other than that, he seems to be improving in every fight.

Damn I wish Gomez didn't get hurt, because he definitely would've been a great test for Vargas, as well as helping to solidify this card.

mitukczuk
QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Apr 30 2012, 10:25 AM) *
Alright guys, fight week is upon us! My advice to all fighters on this card...dont do ANY running this week, just use the cycle. Spar with your children, nieces, nephews, whoever...we dont need any injuries this week. Find the biggest pillow that you can, hang it up, and proceed to banging it like a heavy bag...wouldn't want those hands to get hurt. Again, we dont need ANY excitement leading up to the fight, as it's been clear in EVERY sport that injuries usually occur in training.

Mayweather/Cotto:

Ha! I see that Im still the only one that voted for Cotto by TKO. If any body saw FNF this past weekend, then we all know that all it takes is one punch to change or stop a fight.

Im speaking on behalf of the fall of Ismayl Sillakh at the hands of Grachev, when he got caught with a right hand and was finished off in the 8th round, in which Grachev lost virtually every round up to that point. All it takes is one shot, and the overlooked Cotto could be the one to deliver it...Cotto by TKO.

Alvarez/Mosley:

Shane floors the Notre Dame mascot, period. If anything, Shane's fast enough to get to Canelo's chin, and hopefully he's smart enough to not bust his wad after a good shot like he did against Floyd. Alvarez has the power to hurt and stop Shane, but he'll have to play Shane's game to do so.

Mosley isn't the best boxer out there (because he doesn't have a jab and can't stay out of the way of one), but neither is Canelo...survey says, the best of the two "not so good" boxers (Shane) will make Alvarez play into his bullshit and land "the big shot". Hopefully...

Lattimore/Quitana:

Boy...this wont be a walk in the park for Lattimore, who had lost a fight or two not too long ago, and considered quitting the sport. What the fuck is up with these new age fighters?

As I mentioned earlier about Sillakh controlling the fight for 7 to 8 rounds, then getting caught and stopped...same shit happened to Lattimore a couple of months ago on ShowBox...except he survived.

Nunez was a last-minute opponent, who was being bullied around the ring by Deandre, then BOOM!...he catches Lattimore across the top (temple shot) and drops him (in the 9th round I believe). Gladly, it happened at the end of the round, but still, it happened...shit happens.

Vargas/Forbes:

Sigh..who cares about 2-Pounds at this point? He's a great sparring partner, and is still a bit slick in the ring. Problem is, dude has no power...harmless as a baby's ass. He got stopped about a year ago (or close to it), then suffered a NASTY cut on FNF, in which I believe he lost on the cards in that fight.

Vargas has been getting better, and his opponents have been bringing the best out of him. He just needs to control his temper in the ring, and not get tricked into a slugfest with everybody he fights...other than that, he seems to be improving in every fight.

Damn I wish Gomez didn't get hurt, because he definitely would've been a great test for Vargas, as well as helping to solidify this card.

Nice breakdown, C' !

Let me use your pattern.

Mayweather/Cotto

I voted for wide UD in favor of Floyd. The dude is just unpredictable, same as is luck of a punch. Nobody knows how he will fight this time but I am sure Cotto is in for a beating after competitive early rounds. I have changed my opinion as I think UD is more likely and reasonable than a TKO in favor of Floyd, but in my heart I think that Cotto's corner will stop it later on in the fight. The speed...

Love the match-up!! Can't wait to see this fight. For the first time ever, I will be cheering for both guys in the ring!

Alvarez/Mosley

Don't like the hype surrounding Canelo. Don't like Shane's fighting style. All in all, it will be a good fight for sure. I pick Shane by TKO but again, I have a double prediction as I think Canelo will probably outboxes/outguns him to win a decision.

Latimore/Quintana

Don't know much about these guys. But since Latimore used to or still trains (don't know) with Jeff Mayweather, I am picking him biggrin.gif Gotta love Mayweathers. Blind pick!!

Vargas/Forbes

Going with Vargas for sure. As C' pointed out, Forbes is a good sparring partner, but doesn't have the power to really hurt. But who knows...look at how Malignaggi stopped Senchenko. Pigs DO fly!
Kratza
Mayweather/Cotto

I voted for floyd by KO/TKO, Cotto's chin has been questionable, and alot of people who have fought Floyd have said his punches are alot harder than they look, but who knows.

Im still going out on a limb saying Floyd by a late round KO/TKO

Alvarez/Mosley

If Mosely's still got his speed, its his night IF however he can KO/TKO him, we all know if it goes to the scorecard Canelo has won a wide majority decision.

Latimore/Quintana

Dont know about these guys so im not going to comment.

Vargas/Forbes

Fight will probably look something like Morales/Cano but with alot less blood.
BigDDatHomey
Mayweather/Cotto

I voted for floyd by KO/TKO. I can see Cotto's eye closing or a cut. TKO/KO Mayweather.

I like Cotto to get a good shot or two in early, but that is all. He will only have a couple of chances...and a couple...meaning two at the most.
I like Cotto....always root for him.

I like the lucky shot C' and one shot can change it all. I just don't see that happening...He's going to have to hit em and KO him. If Floyd gets up and recovers, the fights over. Overhand rights will expose the body to the left hook though. I believe at some point Cotto's jab will get nuetrelized (if that's spelled right)

Alvarez/Mosley

If Mosely's got his speed, its his night....I don't think Canelo is really that good. He's strong but it takes more then strength.

Latimore/Quintana
I like Latimore but really have no clue.

Vargas/Forbes
I'll be taking shots during this one. Let me know how it goes.

[/quote]
Thickback
Mayweather vs Cotto

Floyd via wide UD. It will be interesting in the beginning but it will be Floyd/Gatti II after the 4th.

Mosley vs Alverez

This fight depends on Shane and what he has to offer. If he can land one of those right hands, he can shock Mexico. If not, it'll be another goofy loss for Shane.

Lattimore/Quintana

I can't call this one but it should be a good one.

Vargas/Forbes

Vargas should be able to get the victory with Forbes making him work for it.
Franchize
I have a feeling cotto vs mayweather will resemble, gay la hoya vs mayweather. Mayweather for the clear win but cottos ring savvy and experience keeps it competitive.
bnoles4life
Floyd/Cotto

Floyd over Cotto, to the tune of 116-112 or maybe even 117-111. How well Cotto does, IMO, will depend on two things:

1. If he can come forward all night, effectively. Cotto's best chance is to "stalk" Floyd and make Money uncomfortable. I mean, what other option(s) does he have? Outbox Floyd? Seriously? He has to set up shop in close quarters, but he has to be smart about it. Which leads me to the other determining factor...

2. How much Cotto has in the tank in round 6 and beyond. If Floyd makes Cotto try to outbox him, Cotto is gonna gas and gas something terrible.

I personally don't see how Cotto is gonna TKO Floyd. While Cotto has good power, he hasn't been a "one hitter, quitter" in a looooooooooong time, much less lately. IMO, b/t those wide hooks and plodding style, his face may end up looking like dog food late in the fight.

Canelo/Shane

THe smart money is on Canelo, as all he has to do is survive the first 3 rounds against Shane. That being said, I can see Shane offing ND's "on" switch. I say Canelo 117-111 (and that's being generous)

Lattimore/Quintana

Lattimore my dec., but he better not sleep on Carlos, as he's been known to ruin some of the best laid plans (ask Paul Williams).

Vargas/Forbes

A few years ago (quit a few), I liked Forbes and thought him to be a good fighter (plus, he had a pretty good-lookin' wife when they showed her on the Contender). Vargas puts me to sleep. That being said, he's Floyd's fighter and guess who happens to be headlinin' this show?

Prediction: Vargas by Dec. scores: One hundred-who gives a fuck to One hundred-get the fuck off the tv so the good fights can come on.
BigDDatHomey

Vargas/Forbes

A few years ago (quit a few), I liked Forbes and thought him to be a good fighter (plus, he had a pretty good-lookin' wife when they showed her on the Contender). Vargas puts me to sleep. That being said, he's Floyd's fighter and guess who happens to be headlinin' this show?

Prediction: Vargas by Dec. scores: One hundred-who gives a fuck to One hundred-get the fuck off the tv so the good fights can come on.
[/quote]

I like the prediction on Vargas fight. I'm going with:

Patron by decision because noone coming to the crib is going to get down with the HenRock.
Cshel86
QUOTE (mitukczuk @ Apr 30 2012, 12:15 PM) *
Alvarez/Mosley

Don't like the hype surrounding Canelo. Don't like Shane's fighting style. All in all, it will be a good fight for sure. I pick Shane by TKO but again, I have a double prediction as I think Canelo will probably outboxes/outguns him to win a decision.

I agree...except for the part about Canelo outboxing Shane. If it appears that Shane is being outboxed by a guy who isn't a good boxer, then that's a sure as shit sign that Shane has given up in the fight.

QUOTE (BigDDatHomey @ Apr 30 2012, 03:01 PM) *
Vargas/Forbes
I'll be taking shots during this one. Let me know how it goes.

I'll probably be on my first plate by this time. I'll let my food settle, then I'll be back to binge drinking at the start of Canelo/Mosley.

QUOTE (bnoles4life @ Apr 30 2012, 09:19 PM) *

laugh.gif

Holy shit!
mitukczuk
Gotta say, this is one of the best interviews Floyd has ever given to anyone!! Good job, Fighthype. You did it again!

BigDDatHomey
QUOTE (mitukczuk @ May 2 2012, 09:18 AM) *
Gotta say, this is one of the best interviews Floyd has ever given to anyone!! Good job, Fighthype. You did it again!

Definitely a good video. I can say that I had the opportunity to know Floyd when he lived in Jersey. We were just kids and yes we used to do flips and we had races in street. He was younger than me but he was pretty fast. One day, he even beat up my cousin.....haha....little kid stuff.

That's my dawg. His Jersey fam will always support and show love. Got the opportunity to check him out at his crib about 6 or 7 years ago...he didn't really remember me from childhood, but he still showed love. He took us out, paid for everything. I offered him money and he said, "Don't even worry about that, I ain't even like that man. Get whatever you want, do whatever you want to do. I got it" Then, he took us to the MGM for a white linen party and was even going to let me drive one of his BMW's (I declined). He bought everyone white clothes and sneakers to rock. He showed mad love!! Some of my cousins from Cali came out too and he showed them mad love too. I had way too much fun that weekend.

That's my dude.....the GOAT!
fightscoreollector
on twitter

cotto $8m but will still get ppv money

mayweather purse will be given on thursday

canerlo $1.2m

mosely 650k............i thought he would have been on more

vargas 125k

forbes 40k

latimore 55k

quintana 23k
CrazyBuffalO
I already paid good money to watch this on Cinco de Mayo. Feels good to be watching boxing again (what I mean is that Floyd's fighting again so I'm watching again). Its been a while since he last fought.

Well I'm all for Floyd here. But it could be an interesting fight between him and Cotto.
I mean you always get the unexpected. Just like the Ortiz fight, people thought he was gonna give Floyd trouble, but come fight night it was completely opposite. Pacquiao vs Marquez III was also an example of how people were quick to say that Pacquiao was gonna win that fight easily, but the outcome was totally different.

Cotto is looking weak here and all, but come fight night he may have some surprises up his sleeve. Who knows? I still believe Floyd's gonna win, but whether it's gonna be as easy as everyone thought would have to wait and see. It's going to be interesting.
Sunni6Killer
PBF close decision, I think Cotto's jab will keep him in there.
Mosley will taste Cinnamon's power early, get on his bicycle and lose a wide decision.
BigFightFan
QUOTE (fightscoreollector @ May 2 2012, 06:34 PM) *
on twitter

cotto $8m but will still get ppv money

mayweather purse will be given on thursday

canerlo $1.2m

mosely 650k............i thought he would have been on more

vargas 125k

forbes 40k

latimore 55k

Is the split for Mayweather/cotto 60/40

quintana 23k
Cshel86
Mosley 650k? Damn, that's it?
Hotsauce
QUOTE (Cshel86 @ May 4 2012, 11:30 AM) *
Mosley 650k? Damn, that's it?

well he's been losing lately
Hotsauce
mosley is 154.5 and canelo is 154

floyd is 151 and cotto is 154
Cshel86
QUOTE (Hotsauce @ May 4 2012, 02:01 PM) *
well he's been losing lately

Yeah true, but that sucks to come from $5M guaranteed (before PPV money), to $650k within a 12 month span. From what I've been reading and hearing, Shane's purse has always looked kinda shitty. His highest purse was against Floyd, and that was $7M.

Anyway, my prediction with Floyd is what I call a pattern prediction. Sept. '09 vs Marquez, May '10 vs Mosley...16 months out of the ring. Sept. '11 vs Ortiz, May '12 vs Cotto...another vacation. Seriously, the guys in the WW division has some heavy lifting to do in order to be a dance partner for Floyd and generate money.

I guess that all lies in the upcoming performances of the remaining WWs in the next few months, or at least by the end of the year. Think about it, after this, Floyd will have the right to not even utter a word about a potential fight with anybody for the next 3 months...if he even goes to jail at all. Any time after that, is "his business", so we never know...

Oh yeah...$32M??? 32-fuckin-million dollars? Whew...
Hotsauce
QUOTE (Cshel86 @ May 4 2012, 07:51 PM) *
Yeah true, but that sucks to come from $5M guaranteed (before PPV money), to $650k within a 12 month span. From what I've been reading and hearing, Shane's purse has always looked kinda shitty. His highest purse was against Floyd, and that was $7M.

Anyway, my prediction with Floyd is what I call a pattern prediction. Sept. '09 vs Marquez, May '10 vs Mosley...16 months out of the ring. Sept. '11 vs Ortiz, May '10 vs Cotto...another vacation. Seriously, the guys in the WW division has some heavy lifting to do in order to be a dance partner for Floyd and generate money.

I guess that all lies in the upcoming performances of the remaining WWs in the next few months, or at least by the end of the year. Think about it, after this, Floyd will have the right to not even utter a word about a potential fight with anybody for the next 3 months...if he even goes to jail at all. Any time after that, is "his business", so we never know...

Oh yeah...$32M??? 32-fuckin-million dollars? Whew...

damn mosley

fixed that '12 cotto
Cshel86
QUOTE (Hotsauce @ May 4 2012, 09:22 PM) *
damn mosley

fixed that '12 cotto

Thanks!

If I remember hearing it correctly, Mosley only got $300k for the Winky Wright fight...cant remember which one, but still, that bullshit. Mind you, both of the Wright fights happened AFTER he beat Oscar for the 2nd time no2.gif
Hotsauce
mosley was getting robbed
xxxxxx
QUOTE (Cshel86 @ May 4 2012, 09:04 PM) *
Thanks!

If I remember hearing it correctly, Mosley only got $300k for the Winky Wright fight...cant remember which one, but still, that bullshit. Mind you, both of the Wright fights happened AFTER he beat Oscar for the 2nd time no2.gif

Thats exactly why Mosley is still fighting at 40 years old. He always got the shaft on the purse, but he Let it happen. Mosley has always been to nice for his own good. He's had a great career and certain to make the hall of fame, but never took control of his career and took a stand.
Cshel86
QUOTE (xxxxxx @ May 4 2012, 10:30 PM) *
Thats exactly why Mosley is still fighting at 40 years old. He always got the shaft on the purse, but he Let it happen. Mosley has always been to nice for his own good. He's had a great career and certain to make the hall of fame, but never took control of his career and took a stand.

I hear ya X...nice guys always finish last. Now he's flinching, damn near punchdrunk, gone through a nasty divorce, and fighting for paydays.

Man, if ANYBODY saw the HBO version of the Floyd and Miguel staredown...DAMN! That shit put the finishing touches on the excitement leading up to tomorrow. That staredown was long as shit, and to see Miguel get MAD, was a sight to see.

Even Mayorga wasn't able to get Cotto out of his element, but again, to see him made was weird and exciting.
Hotsauce
QUOTE (Cshel86 @ May 4 2012, 10:37 PM) *
I hear ya X...nice guys always finish last. Now he's flinching, damn near punchdrunk, gone through a nasty divorce, and fighting for paydays.

Man, if ANYBODY saw the HBO version of the Floyd and Miguel staredown...DAMN! That shit put the finishing touches on the excitement leading up to tomorrow. That staredown was long as shit, and to see Miguel get MAD, was a sight to see.

Even Mayorga wasn't able to get Cotto out of his element, but again, to see him made was weird and exciting.

yep and cotto was like im gon beat you like you beat yo baby mama
mitukczuk
I bet Floyd will weigh under 150 on fight night. The stare down was epic, for lack of a better word. Definitely got me pumped. Strange to see Cotto like that, but as you said, it only adds to suspense and all the drama.

That crowd was LIVE!!
sduck
Even though I got Floyd winning I'm rooting for Cotto. Pull the upset baby!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.