Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Is Cotto the Tommy Hearns of this era?
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
leonthegee
Tommy Hearns was a great fighter no question but he came up short in his two biggest fights.
TKO loss in the 14th round to Sugar Ray Leonard at 147 lbs.
KO loss in the 3rd round to Marvin Hagler at 160 lbs.

Hearns does have other notable wins in his carreer.
TKO win in the 2nd round to Roberto Duran at 154 lbs.
MD win in the 15th round to Wilfred Benitez at 154 lbs.

Cotto also came up short in his two biggest fights.
TKO loss in the 12th to Manny Pacquiao at 145 lbs.
UD loss in the 12th to Floyd Maywether at 154 lbs.

Cotto alo has notable wins.
UD win in the 12th against Sugar Shane Mosley at 147 lbs.
TKO win in the 9th against Antonio Margarito at 154 lbs.

Carreers are simular in my opinion. Both lost the two biggest fights in their carreers but will both be in the boxing hall of fame someday. Cant a boxer just be great? When did it become all about titles and multiple weight classes? Bernard Hopkins had over 20 title defenses at a 160 lbs. Will we ever see that again?
daprofessor
miguel cotto is the miguel cotto of this era. smile.gif

tommy was something very special.
neophyte7
WTF? Tommy Hearns is one of the greatest to ever live..he is remembered for great wins and performances.. He was sooo great his losses to Leonard and Hagler matter not and I beg to differ that he is only known for those losses.. Before those losses Hearns had become a living legend---The comparison makes no sense to me but I am willing to here more on this...
Jack 1000
QUOTE (neophyte7 @ May 7 2012, 04:25 PM) *
WTF? Tommy Hearns is one of the greatest to ever live..he is remembered for great wins and performances.. He was sooo great his losses to Leonard and Hagler matter not and I beg to differ that he is only known for those losses.. Before those losses Hearns had become a living legend---The comparison makes no sense to me but I am willing to here more on this...

It is unrealistic and too hard to compare across eras. Probably among the greatest trio of fighters in boxing history in the late 70's-80's were Hagler, Leonard, Hearns, and Duran. With each of them fighting each other, this created such a powerful intensity of greatness that no other era will be able to touch. As skilled as say Mayweather is, as tough and determined as Cotto is, you can't compare them to the big four of the 70's and 80's, of which Hearns was a part. That's a different world and a different time. and up until January of 1983, when the WBC was first to do the 12-round world title fights, a different world championship distance distance of 15-rounds. (The WBA to 12 rounds in November of 1987, the IBF to 12 rounds in September of 1988, and the WBO always at 12-rounds, when it was founded in 1989.)

The times and difference in fighters who actually fought the very best great champions is so different than today, you can't draw comparisons.

Jack
Genius
Tommy KO'D Durans ass, that right there is for the books.
checkleft
Smh at this thread.

axlfoley
cotto's best win is a close decision against a past his prime mosley. lost decisively to every other fighter he fought who was a bigger challenge.
The Original MrFactor
Good thread topic. Excuse some of the folks on here because of their sentimental feelings toward guys that boxed in 70's and 80's. I get the comparison and think its verty valid. I guess we'll have to wait 20 years in order for people to appreciate a guy that boxes today. Cotto is great. I think he's greater than Tito Trinidad. When its all said and done his name will be remembered like Hearns. During his era, Hearns was the 3rd or 4th greatest name around his weightclass. Thats the way i see Cotto.

In the 80's, it went Leonard, Hagler, Hearns and Duran.

Today its Mayweather, Pacquiao, Marquez, Cotto and perhaps Martinez

10 years ago it was DLH, Trinidad, Mosley and Forrest

20 years ago, it was Sweet Pea, Terry Norris, JCC.

Each era had its stars and its opponents. Cotto is a sure fire HOF'er just like Hearns
axlfoley
QUOTE (The Original MrFactor @ May 8 2012, 04:11 AM) *
Good thread topic. Excuse some of the folks on here because of their sentimental feelings toward guys that boxed in 70's and 80's. I get the comparison and think its verty valid. I guess we'll have to wait 20 years in order for people to appreciate a guy that boxes today. Cotto is great. I think he's greater than Tito Trinidad. When its all said and done his name will be remembered like Hearns. During his era, Hearns was the 3rd or 4th greatest name around his weightclass. Thats the way i see Cotto.

In the 80's, it went Leonard, Hagler, Hearns and Duran.

Today its Mayweather, Pacquiao, Marquez, Cotto and perhaps Martinez

10 years ago it was DLH, Trinidad, Mosley and Forrest

20 years ago, it was Sweet Pea, Terry Norris, JCC.

Each era had its stars and its opponents. Cotto is a sure fire HOF'er just like Hearns

Excuse some folks on here throwing around the word "great" so easily.

Cotto? laugh.gif And he certainly wasn't more accomplished than Trinidad. Not even close.
Thebruntje
QUOTE (checkleft @ May 8 2012, 05:41 AM) *
Smh at this thread.

Cotto lost only to the two best guys off this generation: Pac and Floyd! His loss to margacheato isn't valid! So how didn't overcome any challenge!
Tommy Hearns was a great fighters but had a some weak spots as well, his chin was a big issue, that's why he got knocked out by a inferior fighter like Barkley!
The Original MrFactor
QUOTE (axlfoley @ May 8 2012, 12:56 AM) *
cotto's best win is a close decision against a past his prime mosley. lost decisively to every other fighter he fought who was a bigger challenge.

You act as though Cotto had 6 or 7 losses on his resume. He's fought just about everybody notable in the divisions he's been in and come out the winner save for 2 times against 2 guys who were much better. The Margarito loss may have been tainted.
axlfoley
QUOTE (The Original MrFactor @ May 9 2012, 12:22 AM) *
You act as though Cotto had 6 or 7 losses on his resume. He's fought just about everybody notable in the divisions he's been in and come out the winner save for 2 times against 2 guys who were much better. The Margarito loss may have been tainted.

You act like you have trouble accepting reality.

Cotto beat a way past his best Mosley in a close decision and a one eyed Margarito. Those are his best wins. Put up a great effort but lost to a very good fighter in Margarito. Got beat by Pacquiao to the point where he was running for the second half the fight. Another great effort against Floyd but still clearly lost a lopsided decision.

Cotto has some good wins and has been a very good fighter in this era. Not even close to great.
axlfoley
and calling cotto greater than trinidad is just laughable.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.