Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: mayweather vs cotto 2
FightHype Community > OTHER HYPE > Archives
Pages: 1, 2, 3
daprofessor
i get the feeling pac/may ain't happening once bradley demolishes pac. i don't think arum will match timmy with floyd either. i think may/canelo should be his last fight and i also believe martinez is too big for floyd. so who's that leave? i'd like to see the rematch. their styles will always make for a great match up. they should do this before the year is over. i'm sure they did great numbers...and will do well in a rematch. anyone else interested besides me? unsure.gif
Hotsauce
i wouldn't mind but not in the immediate future
bMaK
I wouldn't mind it. Not because it was at all in question, but because it was a really good fight.
Cshel86
Wouldn't mind at all. I'll put it this way, Cotto looked good losing...which always makes for better fights in the future. By the way he fought, he further validated Floyd's point about him being considered an undefeated fighter. He lost to an obvious cheater in Margarito and the catchweight looked to have hurt him in the Pac fight.

As far as Im concerned, I believe that Floyd REALLY wanted to say that Cotto lost to TWO cheaters, but Im sure he thought twice about saying that Manny was juiced up while taping the Face-Off. Notice, he didn't hesitate to allude to the fact that Manny was on something as the fight drew closer.

Point is, Cotto did better than most expected, even though he clearly lost the fight. I wouldn't mind watching it again because he fought like an udefeated fighter, though his record and past fights prove that he was on his last leg in the sport.

Honestly, Miguel has nothing to lose at this point of his career, and Im sure that drove him to fight like he did. Dude fought like he didn't give a fuck...and I LOVED it! Him not doing an interview or attending the presser afterwards, heightens curiosity and many questions, which to me, is already new material for a possible rematch!

p4pcrown
I think Floyd wins a rematch easily. He went into the fight with a messed up hand/wrist and a cold and still was able to pull off a convincing win despite being tested in every round. I have a feeling a rematch would be similar to that of his second fight with Jose Louis Castillo. Mayweather knows what type of fighter Cotto is now and that actually plays into his hands..theres a possibility if they did have a second fight that it wouldn't go the distance. Just my thoughts..
JammyJam
I would definitely want to see it, because I think Mayweather knows what to do this time to get him out of there, and hopefully miguel would go balls to wall in an effort not to get dropped.
Run and Gun Game Calls
I dont think this fight makes sence for Floyd. If the damage he took in the fight is an indicator of him now being 35, he doesnt need that type of abuse, even in winning a fight convincingly. With a Pac fight out there Floyd needs to minimize any damage done between now and then
daprofessor
i would love to see the rematch. it was the fight i expected. both have plenty of room for improvement. i scored it 8-4 for floyd...but i don't know the rematch would be easier. if floyds hand was indeed hurt...and he did have a cold....sure he can do better but i see some immediate fixes for cotto that would totally change the scheme of things. floyds right still looked as sharp as ever. i didn't like cotto's defense against it. i think the rematch plays out similarly. much like marquez and pac....miguels style will always give floyd problems. he is capable of applying intelligent pressure and at this stage of the game, floyd would not be able to stay on the outside the whole fight. the excuse of him carrying extra weight is not legit either because floyd said he went into the fight at 147. i would be more interested in the rematch than any other fight out there now, pac included.
daprofessor
QUOTE (Run and Gun Game Calls @ May 7 2012, 09:21 PM) *
I dont think this fight makes sence for Floyd. If the damage he took in the fight is an indicator of him now being 35, he doesnt need that type of abuse, even in winning a fight convincingly. With a Pac fight out there Floyd needs to minimize any damage done between now and then

i think after june 6th....pac will be an afterthought.
Cshel86
QUOTE (Run and Gun Game Calls @ May 7 2012, 09:21 PM) *
With a Pac fight out there Floyd needs to minimize any damage done between now and then

I agree.

Quick question, just in the event that this fight were to possibly be brought up again. Does anybody feel that Miguel will ask for too much money and ruin negotiations, simply because he felt that he won the first fight?
daprofessor
QUOTE (Cshel86 @ May 7 2012, 09:42 PM) *
I agree.

Quick question, just in the event that this fight were to possibly be brought up again. Does anybody feel that Miguel will ask for too much money and ruin negotiations, simply because he felt that he won the first fight?

i think he'll do it for the same money. this fight was made so easily. how could he turn down another pay day like that? he's not going to get it anywhere else. he ain't stupid.
Run and Gun Game Calls
I still think Floyd would deserve the lions share, he won the first fight. But that being said Cotto could demand a larger share of the pie because he did make Floyd did and fight harder than he usually has to, and that will increase revenue in a second fight
Cshel86
QUOTE (daprofessor @ May 7 2012, 09:45 PM) *
i think he'll do it for the same money. this fight was made so easily. how could he turn down another pay day like that? he's not going to get it anywhere else. he ain't stupid.

I would hope that he stood up and at least asked for another 2-3M. I mean damn, for a guy with the face disgust that he had, and not doing an interview, Im sure he felt in his mind that he was the winner. His post-fight behavior was out of character, which says a lot.

QUOTE (Run and Gun Game Calls @ May 7 2012, 09:46 PM) *
I still think Floyd would deserve the lions share, he won the first fight. But that being said Cotto could demand a larger share of the pie because he did make Floyd did and fight harder than he usually has to, and that will increase revenue in a second fight

Im sure Floyd believes that deserves the lion share as well. laugh.gif As you said, based on the first fight, Im sure Miguel would ask for more money. If the revenue of a rematch increases, then I cant see Cotto taking the same amount as the first fight, and Im sure Floyd is already accustomed to that whopping $32M.

I see a tug-of-war coming out of this, but seriously, Cotto wouldn't have much pull. If the revenue of the fight increased, then Im sure Floyd would be satisfied with anything over $32M.
streetlion1
Mayweather vs Cotto 2 in MSG! Scoring it round by round I had a draw Mayweather closed the show and won 10-11-12 but I thought Cotto pressing the fight and being very effective...even outboxing Mayweather in the middle of the ring at times and completely dominating and beating Mayweather up in the 8th round. I don't know what fight the judges saw or the commentating team. The same team gave an old DLH credit and thought that fight was close but didn't give Cotto an ounce of the credit he deserved. Cottos defense was better than usual and he didn't get caught with any big shots until the end of the fight. I think we see Mayweather fight either Alvarez or the winner of Berto-Ortiz....but I would much rather see Mayweather vs Cotto 2.
Hotsauce
QUOTE (streetlion1 @ May 7 2012, 08:57 PM) *
Mayweather vs Cotto 2 in MSG! Scoring it round by round I had a draw Mayweather closed the show and won 10-11-12 but I thought Cotto pressing the fight and being very effective...even outboxing Mayweather in the middle of the ring at times and completely dominating and beating Mayweather up in the 8th round. I don't know what fight the judges saw or the commentating team. The same team gave an old DLH credit and thought that fight was close but didn't give Cotto an ounce of the credit he deserved. Cottos defense was better than usual and he didn't get caught with any big shots until the end of the fight. I think we see Mayweather fight either Alvarez or the winner of Berto-Ortiz....but I would much rather see Mayweather vs Cotto 2.

lol u know that ain't happening
Run and Gun Game Calls
QUOTE (streetlion1 @ May 7 2012, 11:57 PM) *

I didnt see the fight as a draw, I gave cotto three rounds with one round even. That being said a 118-110 score seems a bit bias and far out there to me. The one thing missing in scoreing today is I often see judges do not score body shots as often as the flashy head shots. I boxed years ago and I can tell you, I would much rather be smacked in the nose than smashed with a liver shot or have the crap beat out of my kidneys.

Cotto did beautiful body work on floyd, and if you notice floyd didnt slip punches as effectivly in the middle rounds.
checkleft
Cotto thought he won??

The fight was great, cotto actually fought like a vintage cotto. I would definitely watch a rematch but I think Floyd knocks him out in it. There were two or three rounds where I felt he deliberately carried cotto when he could have gotten the kd or ko.
mrchitown
I'd love to see Mayweather-Cotto 2. I see so many adjustments that each fighter could make to make the rematch even better then the first fight. I, however, still see Mayweather beating Cotto if a rematch was to somehow come about.
BigDDatHomey
QUOTE (mrchitown @ May 8 2012, 01:30 AM) *
I'd love to see Mayweather-Cotto 2. I see so many adjustments that each fighter could make to make the rematch even better then the first fight. I, however, still see Mayweather beating Cotto if a rematch was to somehow come about.

I wouldn't mind seeing another rematch but honestly not to take anything from Cotto cuz I like him. But Floyd got hit mostly on the ropes and Floyd was only in range to be hit because he wanted to be. A really good second fight is up to Floyd wanting to be in Cottos striking distance. I think he could have easily picked him apart all night if he wanted to move and box.
daprofessor
MSG!!! that would be perfect for the rematch!!! u know they'll fill that place up and it's only fair. there's only one fight out there more marketable than cotto/mayweather 2 and again...i don't see that happening.

as for the assumption that mayweather would win again...or more easily...i think ppl are still selling cotto short much the same way they did heading into this bout. i agree with chitown...they both have plenty of room for adjustment. i just want to see it again!
Cheesey1
I'd watch it if there was nothing else. Fantastic bout this past Saturday, but as others have said, I thought that Floyd won resoundingly and I don't see the second being any different (except maybe this time Miguel gets KO'd). The FH UK blog has an interview where Roger Mayweather said that if Floyd went to the body it would've been an absolute beatdown (which is what I was saying as I watched the 8th, or 9th round unfold).

What I'd love to see is the boxing match that my man, Pedro Fernandez, at RingTalk.com said is next for Cotto and that's Cotto vs. Canelo.

http://ringtalk.com/saul-alvarez-miguel-co...yweather-boxing
Run and Gun Game Calls
The second fight would either be better or more boring, im not sure which way to lean on this one.

First of all Floyd is gonna try to minimize the damage he takes from Cotto if they fight again "TRUST ME" on that one. So if he still has the legs he will keep cotto at a distance and outpoint Cotto. If he does that there will be no knock out but a slick boxing clinic.

That being said If Floyd is stationary like he was in this last fight. I think there will be more fireworks. I pick Floyd to win again, but it will not be an easy fight. Cottos jab and body punches did legitamate damage to Floyd, and Floyd would get hit again.

With Floyd looking at a possible mega money fight with pac I dont see this rematch happening.

In the words of Apolo Creeds Trainer " We dont need that kind of man in our lives".
mrchitown
QUOTE (BigDDatHomey @ May 8 2012, 01:27 PM) *
I wouldn't mind seeing another rematch but honestly not to take anything from Cotto cuz I like him. But Floyd got hit mostly on the ropes and Floyd was only in range to be hit because he wanted to be. A really good second fight is up to Floyd wanting to be in Cottos striking distance. I think he could have easily picked him apart all night if he wanted to move and box.

That's exactly what I was saying during the fight, most of Cotto's ooh and aah moments came from when Mayweather went back into the ropes. Truthfully speaking, Cotto did have a few moments when the two fought in the center of the ring. But those moments would have been Cotto's only I believe if Mayweather would've stayed off the ropes. And I think if Floyd would have went to the body just a tad bit more and then created some separation maybe Miguel would've did the back pedal during the fight. A 2nd fight would be interesting, Cotto showed he had confidence and even in the loss Saturday night, I think his confidence has grown even more, and that will make it heven harder for Floyd if they did the rematch
mrchitown
QUOTE (daprofessor @ May 8 2012, 02:07 PM) *
MSG!!! that would be perfect for the rematch!!! u know they'll fill that place up and it's only fair. there's only one fight out there more marketable than cotto/mayweather 2 and again...i don't see that happening.

as for the assumption that mayweather would win again...or more easily...i think ppl are still selling cotto short much the same way they did heading into this bout. i agree with chitown...they both have plenty of room for adjustment. i just want to see it again!

The confidence Cotto displayed during the fight has to be magnified exponetionally now. There are some tweaks and adjustments as me and you both agree on that both fighters can bring into a 2nd fight. As I said I'd still pick Mayweather to win again, but it could very well be Cotto who turns the tide in a rematch
daprofessor
QUOTE (Cheesey1 @ May 8 2012, 06:59 PM) *
I'd watch it if there was nothing else. Fantastic bout this past Saturday, but as others have said, I thought that Floyd won resoundingly and I don't see the second being any different (except maybe this time Miguel gets KO'd). The FH UK blog has an interview where Roger Mayweather said that if Floyd went to the body it would've been an absolute beatdown (which is what I was saying as I watched the 8th, or 9th round unfold).

What I'd love to see is the boxing match that my man Pedro Fernandez at RingTalk.com said is next for Cotto and that's Cotto vs. Canelo.

http://ringtalk.com/saul-alvarez-miguel-co...yweather-boxing

floyd going for the body would have created openings for cotto to capitalize on. floyd had cotto hurt in that 12th round. cotto went right back at him. it's like floyd said...it looks easy from the outside but cotto is a tough dude.

canelo is a beast. i think that's a cash out fight for floyd or cotto.
Cheesey1
QUOTE (daprofessor @ May 8 2012, 08:22 PM) *
floyd going for the body would have created openings for cotto to capitalize on. floyd had cotto hurt in that 12th round. cotto went right back at him. it's like floyd said...it looks easy from the outside but cotto is a tough dude.

canelo is a beast. i think that's a cash out fight for floyd or cotto.

True, but that's always the chance that you take when you go for the body. I really felt like Floyd took his foot off of the pedal when he had Miguel hurt, maybe he thought that Miguel was playing possum, but going for the body was a risk that I felt he could've taken and it would've paid dividends. Also if Roger said it, then damn it, it's true!
Nonetheless, Floyd won very nicely doing what he did.

I'd rather see Canelo vs. Cotto. I liked Miguel's performance a lot and would I think that both guys would give it their best.
daprofessor
QUOTE (Cheesey1 @ May 8 2012, 09:24 PM) *
True, but that's always the chance that you take when you go for the body. I really felt like Floyd took his foot off of the pedal when he had Miguel hurt, maybe he thought that Miguel was playing possum, but going for the body was a risk that I felt he could've taken and it would've paid dividends. Also if Roger said it, then damn it, it's true!
Nonetheless, Floyd won very nicely doing what he did.

I'd rather see Canelo vs. Cotto. I liked Miguel's performance a lot and would I think that both guys would give it their best.

if he had followed immediately with a shot to the body...ur right...it could have done more damage that could have paid more dividends. i think cotto established certain things early that took floyds confidence in following that up. plus...more than anything...floyd has never really been known as a finisher. he's always been safety first. i think roger's abilities as a corner man....or his effectiveness at this point are in question after this bout.

floyd won decisively...but not as decisively as usual.

i think canelo hurts both cotto and floyd. he's a legit 154lb fighter. floyd and cotto are not.
BigDDatHomey
QUOTE (daprofessor @ May 8 2012, 09:35 PM) *
if he had followed immediately with a shot to the body...ur right...it could have done more damage that could have paid more dividends. i think cotto established certain things early that took floyds confidence in following that up. plus...more than anything...floyd has never really been known as a finisher. he's always been safety first. i think roger's abilities as a corner man....or his effectiveness at this point are in question after this bout.

floyd won decisively...but not as decisively as usual.

i think canelo hurts both cotto and floyd. he's a legit 154lb fighter. floyd and cotto are not.

I'd love to see a Canelo-Cotto fight. Who takes that one?
Manuel would definitely outbox Canelo. I was actually surprised by Canelo's quickness.
Canelo gets taken to school by Floyd. Cotto Canelo...great.

I liked Cotto this fight. Not in a rematch though.

Cshel......make the Cotto Canelo fight.
Cshel86
QUOTE (BigDDatHomey @ May 8 2012, 09:55 PM) *

No can-do sir...not until your old lady hooks me up with one of her friends and/or family members that attend your fight parties. I'm a "quid pro quo" type guy...something for something sir...something for something.
daprofessor
Manuel would definitely outbox Canelo. I was actually surprised by Canelo's quickness.

i may be alone in this...i think canelo gives cotto and floyd serious problems. go back and watch those fights from last saturday. there is a distinct difference in size and power...and canelo's speed is decent. he's also pretty good about his defense and pacing himself. he is a much bigger dude than both cotto and floyd. they should wait until he can't make 154 to make that fight. either that...or let it be a cash out fight.
BoxingStill#1
If anyone knows Floyed knows he would say "we got it done right the first time, no need for a second"..

Col Reb
I don't feel there is a need for a second fight because the first fight was decisive. While it was entertaining, it didn't have the ebb and flow that warrant a rematch. What I would like to see is Floyd fight Martinez, because Sergio is his biggest challenge out there. A co-feature of Cotto vs Canelo on the same card could set pay-per-view records.

BigDDatHomey

Ha..nice. You're in ATL? Lemme see if theres some family out there. Maaan, ill invite you to the family reunion this year...its all good...just brumg something to drink and some dark shades
sduck
I don't see a reason for a rematch. Cotto did exactly what I thought he should do. Establish the jab, try to bully Floyd, you can't outbox this guy. Cotto actually did try both, he tried to box with Floyd at the beginning rounds and was losing bad, then he switched to bullying him, then he tried to stick and move. He didn't do so bad when he tried to stick and move, it actually caught Floyd off guard. Cotto is solid but he's just not Floyd Mayweather. He's going to get beat again, whether its closer or more lopsided. For the people that constantly keep trying to go off puncher's chance... good luck!
Franchize
Floyd has nothing to gain from a rematch. Cotto was at his best, and at best, won 4 rounds. Only thing Floyd would be doing is getting hit unnecessarily in a fight that is going to produce the same results. Even when Cotto was hitting Floyd, there was no point when I thought Floyd was in danger of getting KO'd. I personally think Floyd has proven enough. He shouldn't fight Martinez at 54. I think he should fight at 47. He's the P4P best in the sport. People should be coming to him! Letting him pick the ring size. Letting him pick the glove size and damn sure letting him have the upper hand with the purse. Michael Jordan never wore Harold Minor sneakers lol Remember that!
Cshel86
QUOTE (BigDDatHomey @ May 9 2012, 11:18 PM) *
Ha..nice. You're in ATL? Lemme see if theres some family out there. Maaan, ill invite you to the family reunion this year...its all good...just brumg something to drink and some dark shades

Duly noted!
Thickback
I would like to see a rematch even though the result won't change. The difference is, IF Floyd in fact had an injured left hand then HE KO's Cotto in the rematch. Also, if he boxes Cotto instead of going toe to toe, Cotto's connect percentage will dwindle.
Run and Gun Game Calls
QUOTE (Franchize @ May 10 2012, 12:21 PM) *
He's the P4P best in the sport. People should be coming to him! Letting him pick the ring size. Letting him pick the glove size and damn sure letting him have the upper hand with the purse. Michael Jordan never wore Harold Minor sneakers lol Remember that!

I agree in part. Floyd to me isnt the p4p best because he has only fought 6 times in 5yrs. Pac has fought anyone and everyone. That being said you cannot deny Floyds skill. With any other opponent other than Pac I would agree with you about Floyd, But Pac is the second biggest draw in the sport. So Although I have no problem with Floyd getting a larger share, Floyd getting all of the PPV revenue is unrealistic.

Put it like this, If Pac gets past Bradley, and Arum produces a contract in the post fight interview. Provides a copy to reporters, and has a signed copy faxed to Floyd with the following provisions, then Floyd looks scared as hell if he doesnt sign

1. Same ring size and glove size as the cotto/floyd fight, A Large venue reserved in Vegas. Olympic style testing done up until the day of the fight, let Floyd enter the ring last, and a 50/50 split.

If Arum made this move and in public stated now sign the fight Floyd or retire the "Chicken Shit" that we all know you are, Floyd would be between a rock and a hard place.

Now Let me be clear, I dont think Floyd or Pac are Cowards, I think they have huge egos, but a shrewd move like this from Arum would put Floyd on a hot seat his career would never recover from if he refused to sign.

Thats what I would do If I were Pacs promoter anyways, and a move like this might actually force the powers that be into making the fight
Cshel86
QUOTE (Run and Gun Game Calls @ May 10 2012, 07:22 PM) *
Floyd would be between a rock and a hard place.

That wouldn't be the case then, and it surely isn't the case now. ARUM would be stuck between a rock and a hard place while thinking, "damn, I cant even guarantee my fighter $32M per fight, so how can I make this a 50/50 split?"

Im not sure why folks are overlooking this $32M guarantee that Floyd earned, which is the highest guaranteed purse in the history of the sport...there's no getting around that. If he can make that much without Manny, then there's not even a reason for him to look Manny's way, especially if he cant get the upside of the purse.

At this point, a 60/40 is fair. Why would Floyd fight Manny for anything less than 60/40, when he just made the highest boxing purse in the sport, while getting the lion's share of the split?

Again, Floyd doesn't get the bigger split in this potential fight, then we can finish kissing this fight goodbye. NOW, if Manny were to have made about $30M (guaranteed) in his last fight, then I would say that they need to do a 50/50. Let's be honest, if the greedy, senile, Jew is still breathing, then this shit wont happen. This mess has been done to death anyway, why are still discussing it?
daprofessor
QUOTE (sduck @ May 10 2012, 08:02 AM) *
I don't see a reason for a rematch. Cotto did exactly what I thought he should do. Establish the jab, try to bully Floyd, you can't outbox this guy. Cotto actually did try both, he tried to box with Floyd at the beginning rounds and was losing bad, then he switched to bullying him, then he tried to stick and move. He didn't do so bad when he tried to stick and move, it actually caught Floyd off guard. Cotto is solid but he's just not Floyd Mayweather. He's going to get beat again, whether its closer or more lopsided. For the people that constantly keep trying to go off puncher's chance... good luck!

i saw several things that worked for cotto. he definitely tried a lot of different stuff. i believe a rematch would be more exciting...but that's just me. i think they both have plenty of adjustments they can make. i just love seeing boxing on this level. i don't think there are any other challenges out there for floyd at 147 (he'll demolish pac). he'd have to give up serious size advantages against guys like martinez and canelo. i think he beats both.
daprofessor
QUOTE (Franchize @ May 10 2012, 09:21 AM) *
Floyd has nothing to gain from a rematch. Cotto was at his best, and at best, won 4 rounds. Only thing Floyd would be doing is getting hit unnecessarily in a fight that is going to produce the same results. Even when Cotto was hitting Floyd, there was no point when I thought Floyd was in danger of getting KO'd. I personally think Floyd has proven enough. He shouldn't fight Martinez at 54. I think he should fight at 47. He's the P4P best in the sport. People should be coming to him! Letting him pick the ring size. Letting him pick the glove size and damn sure letting him have the upper hand with the purse. Michael Jordan never wore Harold Minor sneakers lol Remember that!

again...i don't think there are any challenges at 147, pac included. i don't think there was any point where either was in danger of being stopped. i would say that more than anything...what i thoroughly enjoyed was the constant switch in tactics. it was like a chess match. it's been quite a while since floyd has had to dig deep or switch gears and do something different than the norm. i think cotto brings out the best in floyd. i think both are capable of pushing each other to higher heights. no doubt floyd deserves to be in the drivers seat in any negotiations because he's not in this position by accident. he truly is the best in the sport.
daprofessor
QUOTE (Thickback @ May 10 2012, 04:12 PM) *
I would like to see a rematch even though the result won't change. The difference is, IF Floyd in fact had an injured left hand then HE KO's Cotto in the rematch. Also, if he boxes Cotto instead of going toe to toe, Cotto's connect percentage will dwindle.

i still feel u guys are giving cotto very little credit. he applied intelligent pressure to get to floyd. i also don't believe floyd has it in him to stick and move for 12 rounds. cotto is highly capable of making adjustments as well. it'll be interesting to say the least.
daprofessor
I agree in part. Floyd to me isnt the p4p best because he has only fought 6 times in 5yrs. Pac has fought anyone and everyone. That being said you cannot deny Floyds skill. With any other opponent other than Pac I would agree with you about Floyd, But Pac is the second biggest draw in the sport. So Although I have no problem with Floyd getting a larger share, Floyd getting all of the PPV revenue is unrealistic.

Put it like this, If Pac gets past Bradley, and Arum produces a contract in the post fight interview. Provides a copy to reporters, and has a signed copy faxed to Floyd with the following provisions, then Floyd looks scared as hell if he doesnt sign

1. Same ring size and glove size as the cotto/floyd fight, A Large venue reserved in Vegas. Olympic style testing done up until the day of the fight, let Floyd enter the ring last, and a 50/50 split.

If Arum made this move and in public stated now sign the fight Floyd or retire the "Chicken Shit" that we all know you are, Floyd would be between a rock and a hard place.

Now Let me be clear, I dont think Floyd or Pac are Cowards, I think they have huge egos, but a shrewd move like this from Arum would put Floyd on a hot seat his career would never recover from if he refused to sign.

Thats what I would do If I were Pacs promoter anyways, and a move like this might actually force the powers that be into making the fight

i think the case can be made that neither pac nor floyd have proven to be the best at 147. they have both taken different approaches....and both are questionable.

floyd took long breaks and picked his opposition when they called him out but ignored others when they did the same.

pac's opposition all had asteriks imo because of weight stipulations, recent beatdowns and trainer issues.

so if neither proved they are the best at 147....how can we say they are the best in all of boxing? what are they the best at? picking opposition that they can beat? strategically avoiding the best opposition available?

i am not sold on pacs dominance, nor have i ever been. it looks like smoke and mirrors to me.

i am sold on floyds skills. they are there for the world to see and very hard to deny. i am not totally sold on his accomplishments setting him far above everyone else.

as for the failed negotiations...and who's at fault...and who deserves the bigger split and all that other b.s....it'll all be moot when pac loses to bradley come june 6th. i would welcome floyd/bradley....but i'd still rather see floyd cotto.
Run and Gun Game Calls
you may be correct, the one thing I would say is I dont believe Cotto's weight had any factor in the fight with Pac. Cotto is a smaller man that moved to 154, not a larger man who moved down. Secondly watch the fight again v/s Pac. Cotto was not a weight drained fighter laying on the ropes in the later rounds trying to survive (ALA Roy Jones V/S Tarver). Cotto was on his bike running From Manny. Cotto has plenty of energy, he just couldnt land anything eating three shots back in return. Pacs Hand speed was the differance in that fight, it had nothing to do with weight.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dO-euwjleUA

Lastly I am of the opinion that Bradley is under-rated, so you may be correct in him beating Pac
Hotsauce
QUOTE (Run and Gun Game Calls @ May 10 2012, 06:22 PM) *

they can use 10 oz gloves at ww?

also we don't have the ppv numbers yet.

if mayweather/cotto does 1.5 mill or more, i could see floyd asking for a 60/40 split or 55/45 split.
Run and Gun Game Calls
QUOTE (Hotsauce @ May 11 2012, 02:49 AM) *

also we don't have the ppv numbers yet.

if mayweather/cotto does 1.5 mill or more, i could see floyd asking for a 60/40 split or 55/45 split.

I dont know if they can use 10oz at ww or not, thats a great question. As far as the split goes I would be fine with those, as long as it isnt floyd keeping all of the ppv revenue as was previously offered. You talking about 130m in ppv sales
checkleft
QUOTE (Run and Gun Game Calls @ May 10 2012, 09:36 PM) *
you may be correct, the one thing I would say is I dont believe Cotto's weight had any factor in the fight with Pac. Cotto is a smaller man that moved to 154, not a larger man who moved down. Secondly watch the fight again v/s Pac. Cotto was not a weight drained fighter laying on the ropes in the later rounds trying to survive (ALA Roy Jones V/S Tarver). Cotto was on his bike running From Manny. Cotto has plenty of energy, he just couldnt land anything eating three shots back in return. Pacs Hand speed was the differance in that fight, it had nothing to do with weight.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dO-euwjleUA

Lastly I am of the opinion that Bradley is under-rated, so you may be correct in him beating Pac

Cotto moved to 147 because of weight issues. Yes he is a small man but he has a thick build, he has always been like that. And when cotto gasses his form of stalling is getting on his bike. Watch his fights, and you factor in the rehydration clause that was in effect, their is no doubt that weight was a factor in that fight. Rumor is he regained 10-15 pounds for the Floyd fight and Floyd lost weight due to some cold (bs or not idk).

But I believe you when you say Bradley is underratted. His biggest asset is that he is really smart, he knows when to be aggressive and when to pick his shots and when to smother. But his wide winging shots are the reason I think pac can hurt him.
Franchize

But doesn't the fact that Arum HASN'T done that speak volumes? Say what you will about Floyd's demands but everything he's done has been backed up. We heard from BOTH sides that he made the call to get the fight done. We heard from BOTH sides that he wants drug testing. We know where Floyd stands. Arum doesn't even have the full support of Manny's own team. Alex Ariza is even saying he is the one holding up the fight.

End of the day, anyone can go back and forth about who is in the wrong.Who said what and so on and so forth. One thing that is unquestionably suspect and can't be explained:

Bob Arum said the fight couldn't be made because he needed and outdoor stadium AND Floyd offer was "disrespectful". So why is Manny Pacquiao fighting in the SAME VENUE for half of what Floyd offered him?
Cshel86
QUOTE (daprofessor @ May 10 2012, 09:09 PM) *
i think the case can be made that neither pac nor floyd have proven to be the best at 147. they have both taken different approaches....and both are questionable.

I agree with the whole post, and this one sentence sums it up.

QUOTE (Hotsauce @ May 10 2012, 11:49 PM) *

140 and up use 10oz gloves.

QUOTE (checkleft @ May 11 2012, 02:28 AM) *
Watch his fights, and you factor in the rehydration clause that was in effect, their is no doubt that weight was a factor in that fight.

Thank you. People tend to sweep Team Pacquiao's "rehydration clauses" under the rug for some reason. Hell, I remember him making Oscar come down to 145, then only allowing him to rehydrate 2lbs. He ended up weighing more than Oscar on fight night. WTF? He did similar shit in some of his other fights. I have to find the articles, that's if they haven't been sent to no man's land by now.

Cshel86
With all of this said, Cotto is a "lazy welterweight" as it's been mentioned numerous times. As for the "big fight", we will have to see what the numbers look like. Oh boy, wouldn't it be a shame if Mayweather/Cotto did over 1.4M???

So, if Mayweather/Cotto did over 1.4M buys and Mayweather also making $32 (guaranteed), which is the highest guaranteed purse in the history of the sport...then where does that leave room for any negotiation leverage on Arum's side? Looks like Manny will need Floyd before Floyd needs Manny.

I just dont see how you can be an 8-division champion, loved by the world, be the fighter of the decade along with having a trainer of the year (for consecutive years), and still make less money, compared to a guy that the world either hates, or loves to hate, makes the most. I'm still scratching my head over here...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.