Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Cotto, Zab, Corley, Paulie...
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
checkleft
These guys were mostly written off for the most part but after some huge performances what's next for them?

Who would you guys like to see them in the ring with next?

The zab marquez fight didn't sound bad to me and I think someone put Paulie vs morales out there. Any thoughts?
BigFightFan
Actually Zab vs malignaggi would be a good fight if Zab is willing to go up to 147 again. That fIght could either way! Corley is on the outside looking in, he loses when he steps up a level at his age
daprofessor
zab/marquez would be very interesting.

paulie/corley would be a nice undercard bout.

cotto should rematch floyd.
mitukczuk
QUOTE (daprofessor @ May 8 2012, 07:09 PM) *
zab/marquez would be very interesting.

paulie/corley would be a nice undercard bout.

cotto should rematch floyd.

1 - I'd pay to see it.

2 - Agreed.

3 - No need for a rematch.
mrchitown
Corley is a bit of a wild card, he no doubt pulled off an incredible upset in his last fight. But one has to wonder if he can keep the momentum. As far as Malinaggi goes, I would like to see him take a few title defenses before stepping up to a big fight or big money fight. The top 5 contenders in the WBA rankings are soft opposition and would give Malinaggi some good work until his next big opportunity.

I'd love to see Cotto rematch Mayweather, but not immediately. It was a great fight, a better fight then most expected and both boxers put on masterful performances. Cotto showed that he is confident in his abilities once again and he could probably beat anyone at 154 not named Mayweather. I'd like to see him in next against Canelo. This fight makes perfect sense and would be a box office draw. I'd like to see Zab in with Marquez, I think he wins that fight. Zab has some options if he chooses to explore but it seems he's really interested in the Marquez fight
Cheesey1
I'd like to see Malignaggi stay at 147, Judah stay at 140 and fight some of the young talented guys in the division. As Kathy Duva said, Judah vs. Marqez is highly, highly unlikely (praise be to the Bobfather).
As far as Corley, I agree with BigFightFan (BFF) in that I think that he gets beaten up if he fights a legit opponent.
EpTXCHAMP
we have to see what the IBF does with zabs mandatory now that peterson is probably going to be stripped...zab said on the interview here on fight hype that he at going up tp 147 for a shot at paulie..however money talks and if both win there next fights I could see them making that fight in Brooklyn
food for thought: I think golden boy is going to move khan up to 147 try to build him up as mayweathers next opponent anyone else get this feeling?
aTYpicalTYrant
If this Zab vs JMM fight can go down in Tx Stadium I'll be going for sure! I think that fight would be fairly interesting
daprofessor
QUOTE (Cheesey1 @ May 8 2012, 09:44 PM) *
I'd like to see Malignaggi stay at 147, Judah stay at 140 and fight some of the young talented guys in the division. As Kathy Duva said, Judah vs. Marqez is highly, highly unlikely (praise be to the Bobfather).
As far as Corley, I agree with BigFightFan (BFF) in that I think that he gets beaten up if he fights a legit opponent.

laugh.gif
Cheesey1
QUOTE (daprofessor @ May 9 2012, 12:43 PM) *
laugh.gif

I hope that BigFightFan isn't pissed off with me. Just some harmless fun and games. My screen name is Cheesey1, how stupid is that.

I liked the article on FH re. Malignaggi vs Alexander (I think that it was V.Wallace who wrote it). I'd pick Alexander in that one, but yeah that would be very nice and who knows Paulie might just surprise me. - *Correction - David Kassell wrote the article.*
BigFightFan
QUOTE (Cheesey1 @ May 9 2012, 01:05 PM) *
I hope that BigFightFan isn't pissed off with me. Just some harmless fun and games. My screen name is Cheesey1, how stupid is that.

I liked the article on FH re. Malignaggi vs Alexander (I think that is was V.Wallace who wrote it). I'd pick Alexander in that one, but yeah that would be very nice and who knows Paulie might just surprise me.

Not at all
Cheesey1
QUOTE (BigFightFan @ May 9 2012, 05:08 PM) *
Not at all

Cool.
daprofessor
QUOTE (Cheesey1 @ May 9 2012, 01:05 PM) *

I liked the article on FH re. Malignaggi vs Alexander (I think that it was V.Wallace who wrote it). I'd pick Alexander in that one, but yeah that would be very nice and who knows Paulie might just surprise me.

i've been called DP in the past...BFF is a lot better than that. i'm sure he didn't take it personally. it's just a board where we come to talk boxing and crack the occasional obligatory cheesey joke. laugh.gif
Cheesey1
QUOTE (daprofessor @ May 9 2012, 06:27 PM) *
i've been called DP in the past...BFF is a lot better than that. i'm sure he didn't take it personally. it's just a board where we come to talk boxing and crack the occasional obligatory cheesey joke. laugh.gif

Cheesey jokes...that's all I know.

DP...damn, not cool.
daprofessor
for the record....paulie vs alexander is going to be a boring fight.
Cshel86
QUOTE (daprofessor @ May 11 2012, 02:58 PM) *
for the record....paulie vs alexander is going to be a boring fight.

It will be a good one, but it needs to go ahead and happen. It will be a competitive fight that will either test, expose, or enhance Devon's boxing skills. With all of that said, gladly, it wont be a dangerous fight.

Devon's had a hard schedule (post Urango), and that Maidana fight would've been hard if he would've continued working against himself. This Paulie fight will be a name on Devon's resume, that will be worth mentioning since Paulie's done a good job of rebuilding himself after the Khan loss back in 2010.
daprofessor
QUOTE (Cshel86 @ May 11 2012, 08:35 PM) *
It will be a good one, but it needs to go ahead and happen. It will be a competitive fight that will either test, expose, or enhance Devon's boxing skills. With all of that said, gladly, it wont be a dangerous fight.

Devon's had a hard schedule (post Urango), and that Maidana fight would've been hard if he would've continued working against himself. This Paulie fight will be a name on Devon's resume, that will be worth mentioning since Paulie's done a good job of rebuilding himself after the Khan loss back in 2010.

both guys are counterpunchers. there'll be a lot of posturing...posing...feinting....and not much punching. the guy who comes out of his element first loses.
Cheesey1
I can understand what DP (ha!!!) is saying re. Malignaggi/Alexander possibly being "boring," but I don't find those types of matches boring at all. I love the tactical/strategic aspect of boxiing and for me those types of matches are about who's a better judge of distance, timing etc. I love all elements of the Sweet Science.
Franchize
QUOTE (Cheesey1 @ May 15 2012, 08:54 AM) *
I can understand what DP (ha!!!) is saying re. Malignaggi/Alexander possibly being "boring," but I don't find those types of matches boring at all. I love the tactical/strategic aspect of boxiing and for me those types of matches are about who's a better judge of distance, timing etc. I love all elements of the Sweet Science.

This!

Plus, while Paulie is a counterpuncher, he also works behind a jab that is both effective and frequent. Paulie isn't a Mayweather/Hopkins counterpuncher where he'll patiently wait for you to fuck up. He fights behind a constantly popping jab and waits for you to get frustrated, then he pops you with a counter. I actually think Paulie has one of the best jabs in boxing right now. I think a lot of people think Alexander wins this easy. I beg to differ. In fact, I may even give the edge to Paulie. All of these 140-147 new wave of guys (Amir, Devon, Lamont, Tim, Marcos, Berto,Ortiz etc) are around about the same talent level. The things that makes all of them vulnerable is the fact that they rely on their corner to tell them what adjustments to make. With the exception of Maidana and Bradley, most of these guys get heavy instruction from their corner.Not very instinctive. Problem is, your corner can't fight for you and you don't get to fast forward to the end of the round to find out what to do next. Sure, Paulie has zero punching power. But if/when Devon starts getting stabbed in the face with that jab and counter right, if/when Paulie's head movement starts causing concern, is he going to be able to figure it out on the fly? Or is he just going to let Paulie rack up points until he can get back to Kevin Cunningham's stool to fight out what's plan B?
sduck
As much as I like Paulie, I think Alexander will beat him. And fights are only "boring" to people who just only like to see a scrap.
checkleft
QUOTE (sduck @ May 15 2012, 11:00 AM) *
As much as I like Paulie, I think Alexander will beat him. And fights are only "boring" to people who just only like to see a scrap.

+1

Idk though Alexander still has absolutely no D except for the twelve rounds of clinching we saw against maidana.
Cheesey1
QUOTE (Franchize @ May 15 2012, 09:21 AM) *
This!

Plus, while Paulie is a counterpuncher, he also works behind a jab that is both effective and frequent. Paulie isn't a Mayweather/Hopkins counterpuncher where he'll patiently wait for you to fuck up. He fights behind a constantly popping jab and waits for you to get frustrated, then he pops you with a counter. I actually think Paulie has one of the best jabs in boxing right now. I think a lot of people think Alexander wins this easy. I beg to differ. In fact, I may even give the edge to Paulie. All of these 140-147 new wave of guys (Amir, Devon, Lamont, Tim, Marcos, Berto,Ortiz etc) are around about the same talent level. The things that makes all of them vulnerable is the fact that they rely on their corner to tell them what adjustments to make. With the exception of Maidana and Bradley, most of these guys get heavy instruction from their corner.Not very instinctive. Problem is, your corner can't fight for you and you don't get to fast forward to the end of the round to find out what to do next. Sure, Paulie has zero punching power. But if/when Devon starts getting stabbed in the face with that jab and counter right, if/when Paulie's head movement starts causing concern, is he going to be able to figure it out on the fly? Or is he just going to let Paulie rack up points until he can get back to Kevin Cunningham's stool to fight out what's plan B?
True. I also feel that any pro-boxer by definition has some punching power. Yeah Paulie might not have the most, but it was enough for a TKO against some big Ukrainian guy recently. A TKO's a TKO. I'm still giving Alexander the advantage though.
daprofessor
QUOTE (Cheesey1 @ May 15 2012, 08:54 AM) *

secretly...so do i. just trying to spur conversation. laugh.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.