Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Canelo's Next Opponent (Topics Merged)
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
Pages: 1, 2
Cheesey1
Looks like it's been confirmed, Canelo vs. the Mandingo Warrior.

Courtesy of the Ring - http://ringtv.craveonline.com/blog/173101-...one-for-sept-15
Franchize
QUOTE (Cheesey1 @ Jun 1 2012, 12:58 PM) *
Looks like it's been confirmed, Canelo vs. the Mandingo Warrior.

Courtesy of the Ring - http://ringtv.craveonline.com/blog/173101-...one-for-sept-15

NICE! I think at the very least it won't lack for excitement. I hope theres NO DRUG TESTING! lol Just for this fight. I can't take another cancelled card. It's like getting blue balls messing with GBP lmao j/k
daprofessor
QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Jun 1 2012, 11:00 AM) *
Alright guys...a deal has been reached for Alvarez/Kirkland on Sept. 15th. At least these bouts are being made by GBP. I hope Sergio knows that he'll more than likely get overlooked for a Chavez bout, when Margarito's name is being whispered right about now. Poor Sergio...

Wow, that had absolutely nothing to do with Alvarez/Kirkland. My bad...can somebody make a "Poor Sergio" thread? It would be greatly appreciated...laugh.gif

i'm on it. laugh.gif
checkleft
Kirks dropped out of the fight.
mrchitown
QUOTE (checkleft @ Jun 1 2012, 03:25 PM) *
Kirks dropped out of the fight.

I just read that on the ring webstie. That really sucks, this is starting to be a soap opera in terms of whose going to be Canelo's next opponent
Cheesey1
QUOTE (Franchize @ Jun 1 2012, 01:20 PM) *
NICE! I think at the very least it won't lack for excitement. I hope theres NO DRUG TESTING! lol Just for this fight. I can't take another cancelled card. It's like getting blue balls messing with GBP lmao j/k

Yeah man, not a bad replacement job there by GBP.

I hear you about the disappointments with cancelled matches, but I hope that they keep the testing coming. Boxing isn't going anywhere and I know that I sure as hell ain't!
checkleft
Fight got cancelled. Kirkland pulled out
Sunni6Killer
Lara.
Long shot would be Molina.
Cheesey1
QUOTE (checkleft @ Jun 1 2012, 06:42 PM) *
Fight got cancelled. Kirkland pulled out

Yeah, I just read that. Kirkland's lying to himself if he thinks that he should've got more than $1MM for fighting Alvarez. The shoulder thing I can understand, but the money thing to me is short sighted. Whatever, it;s a great division so I'm sure that they'll find a solid replacement.
Gambit808
Though I'd hate to see yet another anticipated scrap be called off, for Kirkland to demand 2.5 milli as reported by espn's Dan Rafael I'd say is a smart move on his(kirkland's) part given the circumstances between both him and alverez.
Cheesey1
QUOTE (Gambit808 @ Jun 1 2012, 09:41 PM) *
Though I'd hate to see yet another anticipated scrap be called off, for Kirkland to demand 2.5 milli as reported by espn's Dan Rafael I'd say is a smart move on his(kirkland's) part given the circumstances between both him and alverez.

Sorry man, I completely disagree. I think that Kirkland looked very limited against Molina and can very quickly be forgotten about in a division with a lot of talented boxers. I like him, but there are other talented boxers that I'd rather watch. Lara vs. Alvarez, for me is sooooo much better than Kirkland vs. Alvarez. I bet you Lara won't say no to $1MM.
Cheesey1
QUOTE (Sunni6Killer @ Jun 1 2012, 07:32 PM) *
Lara.
Long shot would be Molina.

Yup. They'd both be happy with $500k.
Cshel86
Kirkland is basically saying that he doesn't want this fight, by asking for that much money. I dont even believe Canelo's made that much money in his career, so how in the hell does James even thinks he's deserving of that amount?

I know that everybody should take a page out of the Williams situation and make sure that they get everything that they're remotely close to being worth. With that said, nobody should be stupid either. I think Kirkland's eggs are still scrambled from that Ishida KO.

checkleft
QUOTE (Cheesey1 @ Jun 1 2012, 10:08 PM) *
Sorry man, I completely disagree. I think that Kirkland looked very limited against Molina and can very quickly be forgotten about in a division with a lot of talented boxers. I like him, but there are other talented boxers that I'd rather watch. Lara vs. Alvarez, for me is sooooo much better than Kirkland vs. Alvarez. I bet you Lara won't say no to $1MM.

QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Jun 1 2012, 11:43 PM) *
Kirkland is basically saying that he doesn't want this fight, by asking for that much money. I dont even believe Canelo's made that much money in his career, so how in the hell does James even thinks he's deserving of that amount?

I know that everybody should take a page out of the Williams situation and make sure that they get everything that they're remotely close to being worth. With that said, nobody should be stupid either. I think Kirkland's eggs are still scrambled from that Ishida KO.

Pretty much summed up what I would have to say about this. Good posts

It would have been a smart move if he was injured as they first reported not for money though. He doesn't even deserve that much, Wtf has he done? Lara is more skilled and talented and would make for a better fight. Kirkland is basically trying to cash himself out lol
checkleft
This is a sign! Make the Lara fight happen!
The Original MrFactor
Kirkland is a bigger name than Lara. Lara is probably regarded as a bigger risk than Kirkland. I have no problem with Kirkland asking for 2.5. Its a riskysituation that he can make out on. If they dont appease him, go fight Lara and pay 1million for a much more difficult fight. Kirkland would be a slugger who sits in front of Alvarez and Lara is gonna box. Ante up Carrot top!! Kirkland is waiting...
BigFightFan
Golden Boy doesn't give a shit about Kirkland, they put him in the worst situations. This guy needs to hire Al Haymon ASAP! Kirkland knows he is not ready and wants to be compensated for being sacrificed. Although he wouldn't beat Canelo if he was 100%
checkleft
QUOTE (BigFightFan @ Jun 2 2012, 06:23 AM) *
Golden Boy doesn't give a shit about Kirkland, they put him in the worst situations. This guy needs to hire Al Haymon ASAP! Kirkland knows he is not ready and wants to be compensated for being sacrificed. Although he wouldn't beat Canelo if he was 100%

Man this guy does not deserve any pay day above a hbo showcase, anything over two is pricing himself out. He has been showcased on hbo three times got knocked out in like a minute on one, nearly got knocked out again on the other but pulled it off in what I have to say was the slowest slugfest I've ever seen, and got schooled in the other until the refs bailed him out. Kirkland would get kod by Lara bad
Cheesey1
In an article on espn, if my memory serves me correctly, Kirkland asking for the $2.5MM is due to his new advisor. Either way, his team should have managed this a lot better than they have. They could easily have stuck with the injury excuse and left the money talks behind closed doors. Kirkland should really re-asses his team because I'm not impressed by what I've seen from them.
leonthegee
Kirklands just trying to get a better offer. Kirkland knows HBO likes his fighting style and hes produced some exciting fights for HBO. Canelos not a typical mexican slugger and he needs an exciting limited fighter like Kirkland to look great against, in his first ppv showcase. If Kirkland holds out who knows he might get an extra couple hundred grand. Than well all be calling him a genuis. I think even Kirkland knows 2.5 mil wont happen but 1.2 sounds alot better than a mil.
Gambit808
QUOTE (Cheesey1 @ Jun 1 2012, 10:08 PM) *

It's cool bro, everyone has there opinion. I do agree he did look very limited in his last bout with Molina, it was a bad night for Kirkland and if not for Molina's corner along with the refs stern decision to dq Molina, we probably would not be talking about this fight. I also think a Lara vs. alverez would be a good scrap, but comparing both fighters (Kirkland, Lara) in terms of popularity among casual fans I believe Kirkland is definitely the bigger draw, his name is still a buzz since his fight of the year canidate with Angulo while Lara is known for giving P. Williams hell but still came up short. We all know Kirkland will come to fight, while Lara more than likely will box. Cheesey1 u seem like a real boxing fan so either of there names would probably get u to buy the ppv, but ask yourself this, what ppv out of the 2 would be more exciting to watch? I believe it's Kirkland and so does golden boy. Kirkland is the only big name for alverez right now if he wants to do good numbers for his first headlined ppv and Almost anyone other than him would sell less.
Cheesey1
QUOTE (Gambit808 @ Jun 2 2012, 01:32 PM) *
It's cool bro, everyone has there opinion. I do agree he did look very limited in his last bout with Molina, it was a bad night for Kirkland and if not for Molina's corner along with the refs stern decision to dq Molina, we probably would not be talking about this fight. I also think a Lara vs. alverez would be a good scrap, but comparing both fighters (Kirkland, Lara) in terms of popularity among casual fans I believe Kirkland is definitely the bigger draw, his name is still a buzz since his fight of the year canidate with Angulo while Lara is known for giving P. Williams hell but still came up short. We all know Kirkland will come to fight, while Lara more than likely will box. Cheesey1 u seem like a real boxing fan so either of there names would probably get u to buy the ppv, but ask yourself this, what ppv out of the 2 would be more exciting to watch? I believe it's Kirkland and so does golden boy. Kirkland is the only big name for alverez right now if he wants to do good numbers for his first headlined ppv and Almost anyone other than him would sell less.

Agreed that Kirkland is definitely the bigger draw.

Yeah, I'd pay for either PPV. I'd be more willing to pay for Lara vs. Alvarez than Kirkland, but you're right, a lot of fans wouldn't.
mitukczuk
Saying that he wants so much money is just another way of openly stating ''I'm already shiting my pants''. Not a good idea....but I understand the reasoning behind it...
Cheesey1
QUOTE (checkleft @ Jun 2 2012, 12:24 AM) *
This is a sign! Make the Lara fight happen!

Yup.
Cshel86
QUOTE (mitukczuk @ Jun 2 2012, 02:05 PM) *
Saying that he wants so much money is just another way of openly stating ''I'm already shiting my pants''. Not a good idea....but I understand the reasoning behind it...

I agree with him shitting his pants, but there's no logical reason behind him asking for more money than Canelo's made, which is the biggest name fghter that James has fought to this date. Poor James...laugh.gif
mitukczuk
QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Jun 2 2012, 07:03 PM) *
I agree with him shitting his pants, but there's no logical reason behind him asking for more money than Canelo's made, which is the biggest name fghter that James has fought to this date. Poor James...laugh.gif

That's what I'm saying. The reason he asks for so much money is understandable - high risk, lose everything (In his case everything isn't that much) situation....but is it logic reason ? I don't think so biggrin.gif

hitman
kirkland is hurt people. he will not be ready before october. everbody knows this. thats the only reason paul williams got the fight in the first place. his promoter wanted to serve him up just so they can have their big show in september. so kirkland said fine, pay me more. good for him.
Cshel86
QUOTE (mitukczuk @ Jun 3 2012, 08:35 AM) *
The reason he asks for so much money is understandable - high risk, lose everything (In his case everything isn't that much) situation....

Yep, this sums it up. He doesn't have much more to lose. Now, had he been healthy (with nothing to lose), then that would've at least made for a good fight.

QUOTE (hitman @ Jun 3 2012, 09:38 AM) *
kirkland is hurt people. he will not be ready before october. everbody knows this. thats the only reason paul williams got the fight in the first place. his promoter wanted to serve him up just so they can have their big show in september. so kirkland said fine, pay me more. good for him.

This is just me, but I believe Kirkland already knew that Alvarez/Williams was going to be made (though he was in line as well), so he decided to talk trash to keep his name relevant, in hopes of people forgetting about the shitty Molina performance and actually thinking that he was good enough to face Alvarez.

Is Kirkland's injury as bad as he says it is? From what I recall, Kirkland was running his mouth (mid May) about being 100% ready to beat Canelo and so on. THEN, the Williams accident happened, and James ended up with his foot in his mouth.

At this point, he's suddenly too injured to take a "risk" and fight Alvarez. With that in mind, he's now asking for a ridiculous amount of money because he's hurt and it's too much of a risk to get in there and fight. Pfff! Please! Alvarez is the star in this fight as well as the division, and HE hasn't even made that much money.

So Kirkland is basically saying, "Now that the fight could possibly happen, I'm really injured now, and I want more money to get my ass kicked". Sorry man, Im not buying that. Personally, Kirkland doesn't deserve a big payday, especially after the embarrassment of the Molina fight (which he needs to clean up).

BlueMercury
Cheesey1
I'd still prefer Alvarez vs. Lara, but I'd be fine with this one too. It would be unbelievably cool if they announced Alvarez vs. Cotto. Ain't happening, but it would be amazing.
Cshel86
I had to merge these topics guys, good read so far. Thanks Gambit808 and BlueMercury!
daprofessor
lara, molina or trout....all 3 have a good chance at beating canelo. none of these opponents makes his next fight ppv worthy. someone send them a memo.
Franchize
I say if you don't do the Cotto fight, wait a while and fight Ortiz. Winnable fight against a solid opponent that is PPV worthy. I think I'd buy that provided the undercard is solid.
xxxxxx
I know some people people have mentioned K-9 as an opponent if he gets past Spinks because it's a unification and K-9 does have a name due to the Contender, but what if Spinks out points K-9 in a upset?? Maybe they would consider Spinks as a possible opponent. He's got a name and would have a title if he wins the fight. I gotta admit it would be nice to see Spinks get 1 big ppv fight before he is completely done.
checkleft
Saw this today, ortiz is being names Canelos opponent for his fight later this year. I'm guessing this is only possible if he gets past his fight on showtime.

Personally I'm kind of sketchy about this fight because I would have rather seen him fight a legitimately Jr middleweight even though I eventually saw ortiz moving up I think its kind of fast after only two fights at welter.
Cshel86
QUOTE (checkleft @ Jun 11 2012, 07:48 PM) *
Saw this today, ortiz is being names Canelos opponent for his fight later this year. I'm guessing this is only possible if he gets past his fight on showtime.

Personally I'm kind of sketchy about this fight because I would have rather seen him fight a legitimately Jr middleweight even though I eventually saw ortiz moving up I think its kind of fast after only two fights at welter.

I agree. Im not too fond of Victor moving up to 154 just yet. He'd more than likely get his ass kicked this soon, and he's only fought at WW twice. I hope this doesn't go through. Im all for seeing big fights, but Im a hardcore fan, so I can deal with some "so so" fights until the time is right.

GBP needs to careful and not try to please these fickle ass fans. It's good and bad enough that they have Garcia out here getting ready to defend his new 140 lb title against Khan, and now a possible Canelo/Ortiz fight??? Call me crazy, but they need to slow down...
checkleft
QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Jun 11 2012, 10:23 PM) *
I agree. Im not too fond of Victor moving up to 154 just yet. He'd more than likely get his ass kicked this soon, and he's only fought at WW twice. I hope this doesn't go through. Im all for seeing big fights, but Im a hardcore fan, so I can deal with some "so so" fights until the time is right.

GBP needs to careful and not try to please these fickle ass fans. It's good and bad enough that they have Garcia out here getting ready to defend his new 140 lb title against Khan, and now a possible Canelo/Ortiz fight??? Call me crazy, but they need to slow down...

I'm not a fan of fighters taking it slow but in this case I think I think your right. I know vic has some mental vulnerability but he still has a lot left in my eyes. Another loss could lose his appeal in the eyes of the public. Maybe after two more fights at welter and a 154 tune up?
Franchize
QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Jun 11 2012, 11:23 PM) *

Crazy! I totally get what your saying. These are very risky propositions for these guys careers. That being said, I'd rather a guy risk his career for me to have an exciting fight to watch on a Sat. night lol Career wise, you're absolutely right. This is really sketchy. But dammit, with all the BS going on in boxing, fuck it....they owe us a few of these young prize possessions going into the Lion's Den early lol Besides, we get to see great matchups before these guys get so big that the politics make it impossible for them to knowingly take on risky opponents. Don't you mess this up for me with your rational decisions CShel lmao threaten.gif
Cshel86
QUOTE (checkleft @ Jun 12 2012, 01:18 AM) *
I'm not a fan of fighters taking it slow but in this case I think I think your right. I know vic has some mental vulnerability but he still has a lot left in my eyes. Another loss could lose his appeal in the eyes of the public. Maybe after two more fights at welter and a 154 tune up?

Maybe he could move up to 154 after a couple of fights at WW, but think about it, there are still guys out there like, Bradley (not sure how this one will be made), Alexander, Khan (real soon), Maidana (when he gets in WW shape), Mayweather (again, lol), Berto (when he gets clean).

QUOTE (Franchize @ Jun 12 2012, 09:02 AM) *
Crazy! I totally get what your saying. These are very risky propositions for these guys careers. That being said, I'd rather a guy risk his career for me to have an exciting fight to watch on a Sat. night lol Career wise, you're absolutely right. This is really sketchy. But dammit, with all the BS going on in boxing, fuck it....they owe us a few of these young prize possessions going into the Lion's Den early lol Besides, we get to see great matchups before these guys get so big that the politics make it impossible for them to knowingly take on risky opponents. Don't you mess this up for me with your rational decisions CShel lmao threaten.gif

Lol, excuse my rationality. I just dont want to see these guys get "Vargas'd" too quick. Think about it, Golden Boy has a promising roster full of young explosive fighters, so for them to beat the hell out each other and be no good in the near future...what does that leave us with?

Yep, you got it...a bunch of somewhat fresh Top Rank fighters in rotation, being built into stars, while the Golden Boy geese are on crutches and with brain damage...or simply worn out. That's the LAST thing I want to see, especially if GBP has this great roster. I'd rather see some "so so" fights in the meantime, and know that GB has these great fights in the holster, rather than seeing these matches made so soon, and have to wait hand and foot for Arum. Lol
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.