Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Canelo's Next Opponent (Topics Merged)
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
Pages: 1, 2
Cshel86
http://www.boxingscene.com/kirkland-says-c...beat-him--52850

It looks like we'll be seeing a Alvarez/Kirkland fight in September, according to the word being tossed around. I'm not sure yet, but Kirkland seems to be the runner up for the showdown.

IF this fight is signed, boy oh boy, we would be in for a fight (while it lasts). I can actually see it happening though...it's not like Garter Belt Promotions hasn't thrown Kirkland to the wolves before (Angulo fight), and ended up having to eat the same boot that they tried to put up Kirkland's ass.

Thoughts?
Jovi
Canelo by KO, lol its not even fair to me. Canelo is no Angulo, he will do what he did to shane, but with someone who will go down......I would advise kirkland NOT to take this fight laugh.gif
sduck
I'm expecting Kirkland to get that ass whooped pretty easily.
BoxingStill#1
A year ago I would have said dont let Canelo within a hundred lightyears of Kirkland if anyone cares about him...

This year...... not so much.

But Kirkland is a (to the boxing community) strong name, and I honestly wouldnt count him out completely guys..

Along with his glass jaw, he still carries a punch that is comparable to a heavyweights..
Cshel86
QUOTE (Jovi @ May 14 2012, 11:35 AM) *
I would advise kirkland NOT to take this fight laugh.gif

I would do the same, but hell, money talks. Money makes fighters do dumb stuff and take dumb fights, but yet, it usually drives them make/take the better fights. Who knows...
Cshel86
QUOTE (BoxingStill#1 @ May 14 2012, 11:58 AM) *
A year ago I would have said dont let Canelo within a hundred lightyears of Kirkland if anyone cares about him...

This year...... not so much.

But Kirkland is a (to the boxing community) strong name, and I honestly wouldnt count him out completely guys..

Along with his glass jaw, he still carries a punch that is comparable to a heavyweights..

Good point. This one wont last long at all. Canelo still isn't the best boxer out there, but he has just enough power to make a guy want to box instead of exchanging with him.

He has decent pop (only because he couldn't knock Shane out), but when he gets started, he's out to hurt you. Canelo is no Angulo (by a long shot)...he's far better. Kirkland shoots short shots, but I cant even give him credit for having a good jab or decent boxing skills...those attributes only show up when he has his guy hurt.

My prediction...Alvarez by murder.
Franchize
Kirkland is the definition of puncher's chance. He clearly isnt as skilled as Canelo. However, Canelo does allow himself to get hit. Instead of doing his damage then getting out of there, he stays there for return fire. That could be a recipe for disaster because while Kirkland has HUGE flaws, I don't think anyone can doubt his ability to knock someone the fuck out. For that reason alone, I'm interested. I stil think Canelo takes him to school though. I wonder how Manny Steward feels bout this considering he said he thought K9 was next in line. Quite frankly, I'd rather see Kirkland than K9..."flaws and all".

I think K9 and Kirkland should fight with the winner benig the next in line to fight Canelo. BTW, what happened to the talks of Canelo vs Chavez Jr?
Hotsauce
there will be fireworks
Cshel86
QUOTE (Franchize @ May 14 2012, 12:45 PM) *
what happened to the talks of Canelo vs Chavez Jr?

I think we all know what went wrong there. First of all, that fight involves GBP and TR to do business...bad move. Second, Chavez Jr. will more than likely fight Margarito in September...more money for TR.

Golden Boy's best option is to match Canelo with another GBP fighter or doing business with DiBella or Gary Shaw...anything but business with TR, is good business.
checkleft
What? Lol, kirkland has no chin! One straight right hand and he's on his ass
daprofessor
not interested in this fight...but i get it. they want to build canelo up even more by putting him in with a guy who looked like shit in his last fight and is coming off an injury. classic bob arum move by gbp with this one. i wouldn't mind seeing an upset for kirkland...but that's probably not going to happen.
checkleft
QUOTE (daprofessor @ May 14 2012, 12:51 PM) *
not interested in this fight...but i get it. they want to build canelo up even more by putting him in with a guy who looked like shit in his last fight and is coming off an injury. classic bob arum move by gbp with this one. i wouldn't mind seeing an upset for kirkland...but that's probably not going to happen.

+1
BigDDatHomey
QUOTE (Cshel86 @ May 14 2012, 11:10 AM) *
http://www.boxingscene.com/kirkland-says-c...beat-him--52850

It looks like we'll be seeing a Alvarez/Kirkland fight in September, according to the word being tossed around. I'm not sure yet, but Kirkland seems to be the runner up for the showdown.

IF this fight is signed, boy oh boy, we would be in for a fight (while it lasts). I can actually see it happening though...it's not like Garter Belt Promotions hasn't thrown Kirkland to the wolves before (Angulo fight), and ended up having to eat the same boot that they tried to put up Kirkland's ass.

Thoughts?

I'd expect to see Canelo on his butt...after the fight saying to hisself...."All that money for a sparring session." ....in Spanish of course. Kirkland has a punchers chance but I think Canelo is too skilled and too strong. I was actually impressed with Canelo and I like the way he throws his punches. I'd expect Kirkland to be broken down and dropped.
bnoles4life
I dunno. Canelo, clearly, is the better boxer, but it wouldn't be the first time the superior boxer, woke up staring at lights and a bunch of strange folks asking him questions, now would it?

I'd bet my money on Canelo, but I'll be pulling for Kirkland, mainly for two reasons:

1. I like Kirk better than Canelo, though I don't have any issues w/ Saul

2. I like it when Kirkland throws a monkey wrench in GBP's plans.

It will be interesting to see which strategy Canelo's camp adopts in fighting Kirk. Basically, while we think Canelo should get 'em outta there, IF he has that "it" factor, GBP is shoving down our throats. However, what happens if he doesn't get Kirk outta there and Kirk starts stalkin' him?
Cshel86
QUOTE (bnoles4life @ May 14 2012, 03:43 PM) *
I dunno. Canelo, clearly, is the better boxer, but it wouldn't be the first time the superior boxer, woke up staring at lights and a bunch of strange folks asking him questions, now would it?

laugh.gif

Good shit! As boxing fans, we know that upsets are always possible. Neither of these two are great boxers, but Canelo is the better of the two. Kirkland's jab is never a stiff one, as a matter of fact, that shit never really fully extends. He only shows "great boxing skills" when his opponent has birds circling their head.
BoxingStill#1
QUOTE (Franchize @ May 14 2012, 12:45 PM) *
Kirkland is the definition of puncher's chance. He clearly isnt as skilled as Canelo. However, Canelo does allow himself to get hit. Instead of doing his damage then getting out of there, he stays there for return fire. That could be a recipe for disaster because while Kirkland has HUGE flaws, I don't think anyone can doubt his ability to knock someone the fuck out. For that reason alone, I'm interested. I stil think Canelo takes him to school though. I wonder how Manny Steward feels bout this considering he said he thought K9 was next in line. Quite frankly, I'd rather see Kirkland than K9..."flaws and all".

I think K9 and Kirkland should fight with the winner benig the next in line to fight Canelo. BTW, what happened to the talks of Canelo vs Chavez Jr?

Nail.... meet hammer...

+1
Cheesey1
If it happens, I'll be watching. Although I would've liked to have seen Bundrage get his chance, he seems to get the short end of the stick, but from an interest level, this one obviously generates more interest.

As most people have said, Canelo beats Kirkland.
mrchitown
Canelo beats him but anything can happen, especially with a fighter of Kirkland's determination and aggression
mrwigi
I dont think that Kirkland chances are as slim as everyone would make them seem. Everyone says alvarez isnt Angulo, but James aint no shane. I still think Saul wins in a ko fashion, but i wouldnt count Kirk out that easy.. Also, a question.. Has Saul ever been hit with a hard flush punch? And please dont say anything about Shane because he has no power at 154.. If i remember correctly, WInky dropped his hands and ate a few...lol
Cheesey1
Ringtv.com is saying that Saul 'Canelo' Alvarez might actually face Paul 'the Punisher' Williams.

http://ringtv.craveonline.com/blog/172881-...tchell-welliver

Either matchup is fine with me.
checkleft
QUOTE (Cheesey1 @ May 15 2012, 08:44 AM) *
Ringtv.com is saying that Saul 'Canelo' Alvarez might actually face Paul 'the Punisher' Williams.

http://ringtv.craveonline.com/blog/172881-...tchell-welliver

Either matchup is fine with me.

I just saw this. I think this is a way riskier fight

To me kirkland is easy work for Canelo, if molina had decent pop kirkland would have gotten knocked down ten times

Btw Canelo has been hit flush, he went down against Jose cotto in his us debut
Cheesey1
QUOTE (checkleft @ May 15 2012, 01:22 PM) *
I just saw this. I think this is a way riskier fight

To me kirkland is easy work for Canelo, if molina had decent pop kirkland would have gotten knocked down ten times

Btw Canelo has been hit flush, he went down against Jose cotto in his us debut

Yeah, I think that this is riskier too, unless I'm being harsh on Kirkland, but I also question Kirkland's corner too.
Cheesey1
They confirmed Alvarez vs. Williams for the 15th of September. Story's on ESPN.com.
Franchize
I think Canelo wins for sure. The only thing that would worry me about Paul is his non-stop activity whereas Canelo is not active enough. Will Canelo give up rounds because he only fights in spurts?
daprofessor
the ginger will be registering the first loss on his ledger when he faces paul. the style is all wrong...the work rate will be too much. canelo was huffing and puffing against a 40 yr old mosley who barely pushed the pace. i wouldn't be shocked if williams stops canelo.
Get0ffdanutzz
For those who know me or follow me on Twitter- I was shocked and upset about the news regarding Paul Williams. I wish him nothing but the best and I believe he will get up from the biggest KO in his life.

Boxing is a business and it needs to move on: With that being said- Lets talk about who's next for Canelo:

1st Lets talk about who's not next:

Money Mayweather- For Obvious Reasons regarding his personal life
Julio Jr- Both Top Rank and GBP wont make this happen Yet
K9- Already has a date
Trout- Already has a dates

This leaves:

James Kirkland- I know they say he's injured but this is a big pay day for him to miss- Plus I know GBP knows this is a good fight for their cash cow Canelo.

Miguel Cotto- I would LOVE to see this fight but don't think GBP will make it happen- I think it makes sense and money. But don't think it will hapen.

What I really want to see is ErisLandy Lara vs. Canelo Alvarez- I think this is a great fight for Both fighters- Obviously better for Lara as for some reason he's trying to gain respect? Not sure why; he destroyed in April. Both are promoted by GBP- I really want to see this fight.

What are your thoughts?

mgrover
If he fights Cotto he will be taking a leap in skill, if he beats Cottowe can all agree that's a very goods name to have on a resume
thefloatingmonkey
Would love to see the Lara fight. Think that would be a great fight.

A Kirkland fight would be good while it lasts, ultimately ending with Kirkland being knocked out.
Cheesey1
Yup, Lara/Alvarez would be a nice one. Of course who wouldn't want to see Alvarez vs. Cotto.

I thought that I saw somewhere that Kirkland was on the verge of signing a contract to fight somebody. Can't remember who though, or even where I saw it...ehrm never mind.
checkleft
The Lara fight would be awesome. Kirkland will be kod unless he lands something extremely hard extremely early and finishes.
bnoles4life
I, for one, would be shocked if Oscar & Co. allow Canelo & Lara to meet at Dave & Buster's, let alone in the ring. As for Cotto, that ain't happening.
Col Reb
Watch it end up being a wild card out of left field like Ricardo Mayorga!
Zaryu
The Lara fight would be my preffered choice too. But I'm fine with Canelo facing Kirkland.
mitukczuk
QUOTE (bnoles4life @ May 29 2012, 11:32 PM) *
I, for one, would be shocked if Oscar & Co. allow Canelo & Lara to meet at Dave & Buster's, let alone in the ring. As for Cotto, that ain't happening.

Agreed.

It would be awesome though. I would love to see Lara having more exposure in the boxing world. His life story would be good addition to some 24/7s and he has a really good skill set ! Not happening tho.

As for Cotto...not yet.
Cshel86
GBP doesn't seem to mind when it comes to matching up their top guys...especially as of late. I wouldn't be surprised if they feed Kirkland to Canelo...it's not they haven't tried before (in the Angulo fight).

Ricardo Mayorga wouldn't be a bad fight, but honestly, Sergio's ass needs to be trying to secure a fight like that, since his past fights against Margarito, Cintron, and couple of other fighters have been long forgotten.
Cshel86
QUOTE (mitukczuk @ May 30 2012, 09:13 AM) *
His life story would be good addition to some 24/7s and he has a really good skill set ! Not happening tho.

This part, I disagree with. There's literally nothing about Lara to put on 24/7. He had a failed defection from Cuba, and actually succeeded the second time. He had a great amateur career, but that's about it.
BoxingStill#1
QUOTE (Cshel86 @ May 30 2012, 09:21 AM) *
GBP doesn't seem to mind when it comes to matching up their top guys...especially as of late. I wouldn't be surprised if they feed Kirkland to Canelo...it's not they haven't tried before (in the Angulo fight).

Ricardo Mayorga wouldn't be a bad fight, but honestly, Sergio's ass needs to be trying to secure a fight like that, since his past fights against Margarito, Cintron, and couple of other fighters have been long forgotten.

Im all in for a krkland fight... A good test for both chins..

IMO.. this accident may have been the best thing for Canelo..

BoxingStill#1
QUOTE (Cshel86 @ May 30 2012, 09:26 AM) *
This part, I disagree with. There's literally nothing about Lara to put on 24/7. He had a failed defection from Cuba, and actually succeeded the second time. He had a great amateur career, but that's about it.

24/7 has worked with less I think

Id like to see a good pressure fighter in their with Canelo.. Not just someone there to take an ass wooping

If it werent for my bitter hatred for Margs and the fact I dont ever want him to get another title shot as long as he can still see I wouldnt mind seeing that type of test for him..

Lets petition for an Angulo fight? The guy is tough as nails and brings solid pressure..Totally winnable for Alvarez

Lets admit, the kid can box, and he has decent pop.. but can he fight? He is there to be hit..

If GB wants to go ham go ahead and match him with Cotto..it is winnable, but you better believe Cotto will go out on his sheild...Huge PPV numbers on this one..
Cshel86
QUOTE (BoxingStill#1 @ May 30 2012, 09:54 AM) *
Im all in for a krkland fight... A good test for both chins..

IMO.. this accident may have been the best thing for Canelo..

I agree. I wish the Williams fight would have gone through. Honestly, I dont really see Kirkland making it out of this fight, but the money would be great for him.

QUOTE (BoxingStill#1 @ May 30 2012, 10:04 AM) *
24/7 has worked with less I think

Id like to see a good pressure fighter in their with Canelo.. Not just someone there to take an ass wooping

If it werent for my bitter hatred for Margs and the fact I dont ever want him to get another title shot as long as he can still see I wouldnt mind seeing that type of test for him..

Lets petition for an Angulo fight? The guy is tough as nails and brings solid pressure..Totally winnable for Alvarez

Lets admit, the kid can box, and he has decent pop.. but can he fight? He is there to be hit..

If GB wants to go ham go ahead and match him with Cotto..it is winnable, but you better believe Cotto will go out on his sheild...Huge PPV numbers on this one..

I dont know if 24/7 can do anything with Lara, honestly. Guerrero would have a better backstory for 24/7, than Lara. Also, I dont wanna see Margarito in another title fight either, but he does bring it when he fights. Too bad Bob is still alive and Toney probably has a lifetime contract with him, we may not see it.

I would say that its too early for a Cotto/Canelo fight, but honestly, there's no time like the present. Cotto revived himself in his last fight, so he still has enough buzz to make a big fight with Canelo. Winnable? Quite possibly, but we could also see Canelo's skirt lifted because Cotto's movement and gameplan against Floyd was more than acceptable.
mitukczuk
QUOTE (Cshel86 @ May 30 2012, 08:26 AM) *

Well, there hasn't been a 24/7 from the Cuban perspective. Puerto Rico, U.S., Mexico....Cuba is missing and it could actually work in my opinion as its huge amateur background could fill one whole 24/7 episode. Plus the political situation + defection attempts, his stay in Germany...I think it's pretty solid actually. But he lacks the spark and charisma...I bet HBO would milk it to success though.
Jovi
I really like Lara or cotto for Canelo. Atleast this way i wont be entirely sure who will win.

Dont have too much hope for Kirkland in this fight...Him or T.Cloud against anyone who can actually box.
daprofessor
the williams match was all wrong for canelo. he has a chance to beat kirkland. lara will be avoided because he's a southpaw and he's good. high risk/low reward. canelo may have a chance to beat cotto. that's the biggest fight out there for him and would be a great step towards a match with mayweather.
daprofessor
on a side note....u guys really put a lot of stock in the whole 24/7 thing. laugh.gif i really don't care about the back stories. don't get me wrong....i watch them, but i can do with out them.

on a side/side note....do grown men really twitter? unsure.gif i signed up for it...but i never use it. seems kind of childish.
Franchize
First and foremost, I hate to keep bringing it up, but I really feel bad for Paul man. Moreso for his continued life going forward than his career. God Bless champ!

Back to boxing, I agree with bnoles. I dont think theres any way GBP lets Lara gets a chance at Alvarez any time soon. Doesn't make sense financially. While I'd love to see it, let's face it, it's a high risk/low reward fight for Canelo. You're in there with a serious threat, yet the guy really doesn't help you sell the PPV one bit. You might as well let him fight Cotto for that matter. End of the day, you can justify a loss to Cotto way easier than a loss to Lara. If you lose to Cotto, you lost to a legend. If you lose to Lara, you just end up looking overhyped.

If their respective opponents' "incidents" took place sooner, it would have been nice to see Ortiz vs Canelo. I think that's an exciting matchup and a great stepping stone for Alvarez. It solidifies him as the real deal IMO if he wins that fight but it isn't throwing to much on his plate at once (ex. a Mayweather fight)

End of the day, I think a perfect fight for Alvarez is the Kirkland fight. It's a pretty good segway into better competition. At the very least, you get to hear Anne Wolfe's best Cletus Klump impersonation as she pleads with James to employ boxing tactics that she knows good and damn well she never taught him.To me, it's a smart fight. You're fighting a guy who is very beatable for Canelo but isn't a cupcake. He also will probably have a modest but respectable sized fan base. AS a figh fan, I would have no complaints.

If Bob Arum ran GBP, Alvarez would have signed to fight Collazo the moments the Paul Williams news hit the media. Arum would then be trying to conjure up some story that Floyd Mayweather ducked Collazo when he was with Top Rank too.

daprofessor
QUOTE (Franchize @ May 30 2012, 12:57 PM) *
First and foremost, I hate to keep bringing it up, but I really feel bad for Paul man. Moreso for his continued life going forward than his career. God Bless champ!

Back to boxing, I agree with bnoles. I dont think theres any way GBP lets Lara gets a chance at Alvarez any time soon. Doesn't make sense financially. While I'd love to see it, let's face it, it's a high risk/low reward fight for Canelo. You're in there with a serious threat, yet the guy really doesn't help you sell the PPV one bit. You might as well let him fight Cotto for that matter. End of the day, you can justify a loss to Cotto way easier than a loss to Lara. If you lose to Cotto, you lost to a legend. If you lose to Lara, you just end up looking overhyped.

If their respective opponents' "incidents" took place sooner, it would have been nice to see Ortiz vs Canelo. I think that's an exciting matchup and a great stepping stone for Alvarez. It solidifies him as the real deal IMO if he wins that fight but it isn't throwing to much on his plate at once (ex. a Mayweather fight)

End of the day, I think a perfect fight for Alvarez is the Kirkland fight. It's a pretty good segway into better competition. At the very least, you get to hear Anne Wolfe's best Cletus Klump impersonation as she pleads with James to employ boxing tactics that she knows good and damn well she never taught him.To me, it's a smart fight. You're fighting a guy who is very beatable for Canelo but isn't a cupcake. He also will probably have a modest but respectable sized fan base. AS a figh fan, I would have no complaints.

If Bob Arum ran GBP, Alvarez would have signed to fight Collazo the moments the Paul Williams news hit the media. Arum would then be trying to conjure up some story that Floyd Mayweather ducked Collazo when he was with Top Rank too.

there's a name i haven't heard in quite some time! collazo would be a great opponent that i'd love to see match up against canelo...but he sort of falls into the same category as lara.
Cshel86
QUOTE (mitukczuk @ May 30 2012, 12:50 PM) *
Well, there hasn't been a 24/7 from the Cuban perspective. Puerto Rico, U.S., Mexico....Cuba is missing and it could actually work in my opinion as its huge amateur background could fill one whole 24/7 episode. Plus the political situation + defection attempts, his stay in Germany...I think it's pretty solid actually. But he lacks the spark and charisma...I bet HBO would milk it to success though.

There probably wont be a 24/7 from the Cuban perspective, or even an Argentinean (sp) perspective either. Point is, if you have some type of spark or public interest, then 24/7 will probably work to your advantage. I dont think anybody really wants to know about Lara from a personal standpoint, being the fact that nobody really knows him from a fighter's standpoint.

QUOTE (daprofessor @ May 30 2012, 01:43 PM) *
on a side note....u guys really put a lot of stock in the whole 24/7 thing.

I agree. It was worse when guys were trying to pump up Guerrero vs Mayweather. laugh.gif
daprofessor
QUOTE (Cshel86 @ May 30 2012, 01:43 PM) *
There probably wont be a 24/7 from the Cuban perspective, or even an Argentinean (sp) perspective either. Point is, if you have some type of spark or public interest, then 24/7 will probably work to your advantage. I dont think anybody really wants to know about Lara from a personal standpoint, being the fact that nobody really knows him from a fighter's standpoint.

I agree. It was worse when guys were trying to pump up Guerrero vs Mayweather. laugh.gif

hey!!! sorry.gif

i wanted guerrero to get help with his wives medical bills and he's one of boxings good guys. he was more deserving than spadafora who was one of the fighters they were considering. laugh.gif

it would have been no different than roy jones giving pazienza his shot.
mitukczuk
QUOTE (Cshel86 @ May 30 2012, 01:43 PM) *

Come on guys, it's just an idea. Quite frankly I don't give a rats ass about 24/7s without Money May. Lara, as I stated earlier, lacks the spark, charisma...nobody knows him. But I just want to see new faces and I am opened to see some possibilities. 24/7 isn't the biggest part of the point I am trying to make.

As for Canelo, I like the Cotto fight probably the most. Angullo in my opinion needs a bit of a public image repair before he steps into the ring with him. But good match-up. 154 division is packed...hard to choose someone. Kirkland would need to finish the fight early or be motivated as much as he was against Angullo.
daprofessor
QUOTE (daprofessor @ May 24 2012, 01:38 PM) *
the ginger will be registering the first loss on his ledger when he faces paul. the style is all wrong...the work rate will be too much. canelo was huffing and puffing against a 40 yr old mosley who barely pushed the pace. i wouldn't be shocked if williams stops canelo.

sad.gif
Cshel86
Alright guys...a deal has been reached for Alvarez/Kirkland on Sept. 15th. At least these bouts are being made by GBP. I hope Sergio knows that he'll more than likely get overlooked for a Chavez bout, when Margarito's name is being whispered right about now. Poor Sergio...

Wow, that had absolutely nothing to do with Alvarez/Kirkland. My bad...can somebody make a "Poor Sergio" thread? It would be greatly appreciated...laugh.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.