Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Mayweather states he will fight Martinez at a Catchweight???
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
Chameleon
Mayweather states he will posibbly fight Sergio Martinez, but only at a Catchweight? Martinez says he will do 80-20 purse split and has no problem coming down to 154, even to 150 if he has to. Note the cotto belt mayweather won if i remember correctly was Sergio Martinez belt previously.

Why the sudden ask for a catchweight?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hRZndeW3OgQ...mp;feature=plcp

it shocked me to see that?
You thoughts?
mgrover
he did the same with Khan and Vargas hes just promoting his fighter, maybe sure yeah he's ducking through it.
checkleft
I think its a dangerous fight at 154. Anything below would be pacquiao stuff, we all know sergio can make 154 but 150 is too much for a guy his age.
daprofessor
sergio is an easy fight for floyd. he'll be giving up size...but martinez is not a pressure fighter or a volume puncher. i can't see him giving floyd any problems. after the williams victory...this fight would have been larger than life. now...it's lost some of it's steam. still a great accomplishment should floyd win it though.
Cheesey1
At 154...a legitimate evening of boxing. Good stuff.
leonthegee
Why should Floyd give Serg even 20%? Serg has never made even 3 mil for a fight. He doesnt deserve 20%. He deserves the Victor Ortiz treatment. Give him a 5 mil flat fee and tell lace up.
Hotsauce
sergio doesn't deserve 20%
Jovi
Floyd is my man, but please dont put him in there with Sergio Martinez...When sergio hit williams, i thought he was dead for alittle bit haha.....Sergio has the best punchers chance out there against floyd, other than berto. And i would usually give floyd the nod, but after watching him against cotto, it was almost just the amount he could handle. Sergio is stronger, faster, has that left straight, taller, and much more durable compared to cotto, he wouldnt get outboxed like mosely either.....It would be a great fight, im not sure which one i would go for.............Im already sold biggrin.gif drinks.gif
mrchitown
I've always said that Floyd would beat Martinez, in any time frame they fought. But now more then ever I believe he beats Martinez rather handily. at 150 Sergio is dead meat, at 154, I believe will be his best chance to upset Mayweather but even looking at Martinez's last few fights, he hasn't looked particularly stellar. He does come on strong at the end of fights but outside of the 2nd fight with Paul Williams, he has looked mediocre. I don't see how people thinks he's being ducked by Floyd. What money does Martinez bring to the table? Not a damn penny! He's being ducked by Chavez jr and that's it. People need to stop throwing around the "ducking" phrase so loosely, it's becoming quite pathetic. I guess people believe Floyd is ducking Guererro too
checkleft
QUOTE (daprofessor @ May 14 2012, 08:51 PM) *
sergio is an easy fight for floyd. he'll be giving up size...but martinez is not a pressure fighter or a volume puncher. i can't see him giving floyd any problems. after the williams victory...this fight would have been larger than life. now...it's lost some of it's steam. still a great accomplishment should floyd win it though.

I think Floyd wins but its definitely nothing easy or sure. But what I didn't understand is how has he lost steam? Isn't he like on a 4 fight ko streak?
un01
asking floyd to fight at 160 is stupid and insane. he doesnt need to kill himself to prove anything... i know people want to see his 0 taken away, but damn, be fair about it, next they'll ask him to fight ward
mrwigi
QUOTE (checkleft @ May 15 2012, 12:47 AM) *
I think Floyd wins but its definitely nothing easy or sure. But what I didn't understand is how has he lost steam? Isn't he like on a 4 fight ko streak?

+1

I dont understand either why people say he has lost steam
Chameleon
QUOTE (Jovi @ May 14 2012, 10:44 PM) *
Floyd is my man, but please dont put him in there with Sergio Martinez...When sergio hit williams, i thought he was dead for alittle bit haha.....Sergio has the best punchers chance out there against floyd, other than berto. And i would usually give floyd the nod, but after watching him against cotto, it was almost just the amount he could handle. Sergio is stronger, faster, has that left straight, taller, and much more durable compared to cotto, he wouldnt get outboxed like mosely either.....It would be a great fight, im not sure which one i would go for.............Im already sold biggrin.gif drinks.gif

Yea, it seems to me, we have some DIE HARD Mayweather blind fans, even to say Martinez does not deserve 20%. Wow, Then who deserves to fight Mayweather, NO ONE in the sport today makes half of what he makes. NO one. Not even the runner up Pacman. But then again- to be honest, mayweather did not become MONEY mayweather from fighting the best, but fighting the best paydays. -First nice payday from De la hoya-retired. Then came back and fought Ricky hatton-big fan base-then retired, then came back and fought Marquez who jumped up 2 wt classes-BIG Mexican fan base, then Mosley who had a strong name....What i'm saying is that since mayweather beat oscar, became the cash cow, have we seen him fight the best???? That's a tuff conversation because ppl say what he do to deserve that fight, Martinez ko'd his last 4 opponents, the last 1 of them being undefeated. The belt cotto and margarito fight was for was martinez belt, no-one wanted to take it from him so he vacated it. I'm a mayweather fan, but u dnt become a CASH COW by fighting the best, but by fighting the best FAN-Base. and keeping mexicans and ricans on the undercard. Mayweather didnt get the attraction until he BEAT Oscar, before that, no ppv. So he wants to fight the best, who in welter weight beating sergio? who was the 154lb champ... but the fans been duped into the whole, he dont deserve a payday... Victor ortiz highest pay b4 mayweather was $600,000, he fought may and got 10times that. $6million. May received $30mill. Which is 20%. but It seems now, Mayweather gets a free pass because ppl fell into his money persona, that if u dnt make great ppv numbers, u cant beat me. Look at his last 3 fights and tell me he did those numbers by himself, yeah, right. He likes to have a Mexican and rican on the undercard,-THEY SPEND money- look at Oscar vs floyd-before that, floyd did not have BIG PPV numbers. Sergio would give floyd problems at 154. But speak with the facts. Sergio fought at 147, couldnt get a fight so he moved up in weight. ...
Floyd losses that fight if u ask me.... after his cotto performance, -martinez is a slick southpaw counter puncher, with a hard over hand left, ko- bigger guys.
Franchize
To be honest, I don't like the direction Floyd is going with the guys he's fighting now. Ortiz was cool. So was cotto but c'mon. He shouldn't have to prove this also. People should be coming down in weight to fight him at 147. For a guy who's taken proper precaution to ensure his health throughout his caree, this is an unnecessary risk. Even if Martinez beats him, it doesn't prove anything. Martinez fights at 154, but he's bigger than that. There are weight classes for a reason. These guys are going to take a tol on Floyd's body. You can't keep going in there fighting guys 20 lbs heavier than you. Even if he wins, the fight will undoubtedly shorten his career IMO. He's the P4P king, the PPV king and he holds the belts. Let guys break their necks to fight him. All these guys moving up to 147 now...let them come get some.
Cshel86
Wow, another Mayweather topic??? Great way to pop your cherry... rolleyes_anim.gif

I wonder what else you know about boxing...or should I even waste my time asking?
leonthegee
QUOTE (Chameleon @ May 15 2012, 05:50 AM) *
Yea, it seems to me, we have some DIE HARD Mayweather blind fans, even to say Martinez does not deserve 20%. Wow, Then who deserves to fight Mayweather, NO ONE in the sport today makes half of what he makes. NO one. Not even the runner up Pacman. But then again- to be honest, mayweather did not become MONEY mayweather from fighting the best, but fighting the best paydays. -First nice payday from De la hoya-retired. Then came back and fought Ricky hatton-big fan base-then retired, then came back and fought Marquez who jumped up 2 wt classes-BIG Mexican fan base, then Mosley who had a strong name....What i'm saying is that since mayweather beat oscar, became the cash cow, have we seen him fight the best???? That's a tuff conversation because ppl say what he do to deserve that fight, Martinez ko'd his last 4 opponents, the last 1 of them being undefeated. The belt cotto and margarito fight was for was martinez belt, no-one wanted to take it from him so he vacated it. I'm a mayweather fan, but u dnt become a CASH COW by fighting the best, but by fighting the best FAN-Base. and keeping mexicans and ricans on the undercard. Mayweather didnt get the attraction until he BEAT Oscar, before that, no ppv. So he wants to fight the best, who in welter weight beating sergio? who was the 154lb champ... but the fans been duped into the whole, he dont deserve a payday... Victor ortiz highest pay b4 mayweather was $600,000, he fought may and got 10times that. $6million. May received $30mill. Which is 20%. but It seems now, Mayweather gets a free pass because ppl fell into his money persona, that if u dnt make great ppv numbers, u cant beat me. Look at his last 3 fights and tell me he did those numbers by himself, yeah, right. He likes to have a Mexican and rican on the undercard,-THEY SPEND money- look at Oscar vs floyd-before that, floyd did not have BIG PPV numbers. Sergio would give floyd problems at 154. But speak with the facts. Sergio fought at 147, couldnt get a fight so he moved up in weight. ...
Floyd losses that fight if u ask me.... after his cotto performance, -martinez is a slick southpaw counter puncher, with a hard over hand left, ko- bigger guys.

Dont fool yourself man Serg has been on a great run no question but hes a tweener. Serg was never dominate at 154lbs before so what makes you think he can drop down now and beat the best fighter onthe planet? Dont forget Serg is the same guy that struggled against Kermit Cintron. Serg isnt a pressure fighter and he doesnt throw any body punches. We can actually sit here and say Floyd doesnt have to worry about getting out worked.

Sergs has been fighting bigger guys that chase him around and gas out late in fights. Floyd will be able to cut off the ring and he definetly will not gas out late. Sergs best attack is to foot stomp and land the straight left.

Also what entitles Serg to 20% in a fight with Floyd? Hes been on a great run as of late but he cant draw flies to shit. His last fight sold like what? 3500 tickets and did like 660,000 at the gate? Yawn!!! And thats in NYC and those were all pissed off Irish drunks. Is Serg gonna bring 10,000 Argentians to Vegas? Fuck no. If your gonna be mad be mad at HBO for not marketing this guy as the next Floyd stopper. At least then "Mayweather Hater Nation" will move off Pacquiao and on to Serg. I could live with that.
Chameleon
QUOTE (Cshel86 @ May 15 2012, 09:08 AM) *
Wow, another Mayweather topic??? Great way to pop your cherry... rolleyes_anim.gif

lol, more of, a topic, on, Does the BEST fight the Best? or does the best just fight for paydays... but in a sense, its a business, so one side will always be compromised. I'm still shocked roach and the gang decided to fight a dangerous fight in Timothy bradley. I fight i'm looking forward to, i smell an upset.
Maybe i should have just made it a topic, Bernard hopkins became the big attraction by fighting the smaller but bigger name guys... same person to- oscar de la hoya... statistic wise, the blacks has to fight the mexican or rican to become a big money attraction...non heavy weight.... well, now, klits has the money. but not to defer the topic, the big money guy is not most times the easier fight. The strong risky fight normally has a small fan base. Bradley vs pacman, bradley has a small fanbase compared to whoever.. pacman has a country-small ppv numbers, but a legit fight, and pacman fighting a bigger guy undefeated. mayweather vs martinez would be equivalent, but, its not gonna happen, if its "all" about the money. And face it, he is money....mayweather. Fans lose on this one.
Franchize
QUOTE (Chameleon @ May 15 2012, 08:50 AM) *

But what's Martinez' fan base? Isn't that even more ammo for Floyd to not give him 20%? Martinez isn't Mexican, Phillipino, Puerto Rican or from the UK. He isn't an american fan favorit and he doesn't speak much english to suddenly become one. He had a HUGE KO, arguably the best since Manny KO'd Hatton, but casual fans still don't even know him enough to be mad at Arum for not making Chavez fight him. While Ortiz isn't as skilled as Maravilla, he's even a bigger name with a bigger fan base and demographic. Sergio might have to just bite the bullet on this one and take a flat fee. End of the day, unless he gets KO'd early, it will lead to bigger pay days in the long run anyway.
Cshel86
QUOTE (Chameleon @ May 15 2012, 09:27 AM) *
lol, more of, a topic, on, Does the BEST fight the Best? or does the best just fight for paydays... but in a sense, its a business, so one side will always be compromised. I'm still shocked roach and the gang decided to fight a dangerous fight in Timothy bradley. I fight i'm looking forward to, i smell an upset.
Maybe i should have just made it a topic, Bernard hopkins became the big attraction by fighting the smaller but bigger name guys... same person to- oscar de la hoya... statistic wise, the blacks has to fight the mexican or rican to become a big money attraction...non heavy weight.... well, now, klits has the money. but not to defer the topic, the big money guy is not most times the easier fight. The strong risky fight normally has a small fan base. Bradley vs pacman, bradley has a small fanbase compared to whoever.. pacman has a country-small ppv numbers, but a legit fight, and pacman fighting a bigger guy undefeated. mayweather vs martinez would be equivalent, but, its not gonna happen, if its "all" about the money. And face it, he is money....mayweather. Fans lose on this one.

The best hardly ever fight the best, so whats your point? One more question...who DOESN'T fight for paydays? Why do you think Sergio is BEGGING for a payday? Why cant Sergio even get a payday in his own division? At this point, I dont believe anybody's avoiding Sergio due to his highly inflated "skill level"...they're avoiding him because he's a dull ass payday.

African Americans dont have the bigger share of the market nowadays (as I've been saying for a while), so why not fight guys for big paydays? These aren't the Ali, Tyson, Holyfield, Lewis, HW days when African Americans were earning big money in the sport.

This shit has been done to death, who cares?
Cshel86
QUOTE (Chameleon @ May 15 2012, 10:03 AM) *
Since u have common sense, the point was, is mayweather ducking him, or rather not test his skills, and looking for another big payday for his next fight. As he says, he's about business and self preservation= best payday least risk.(smart business move tho). Is sergio a BEAST? remains to be seen. But as u say, why not fight for paydays... then thats why i said, mayweather in that case is not fighting the best, but the best paydays... I just wanted yall take on do he thanks its too much of a risk for him to fight Sergio martinez, or, just dont want the low payday. Because before ortiz beat berto, he wasnt a payday fight... but again, its all relative to marketing strategy. Remember the fight-The great white hype.... The president had in on it if the white guy won.. So when do we get to see the BEST fight the BEST where we can say, i dnt know, it can go either way. I think the martinez mayweather fight is it, just as the Bradley pacman fight can go either way... but just one mans opinion.

Again, who DOESN'T fight for bigger paydays? Hell, most of these guys that are out here fighting, are fighting according to the direction that they're promoter is leading is them. Promoters "preserve" their fighters as well...ya know?...making them fight low-risk fights and try to get the lion's share of the purse. Low risk, high reward?

Im wondering why is it a problem for Floyd to do the same? Honestly, if he still had a promoter, then the same thing would be going on. I cant even say that he doesn't necessarily fight the best, but on another note, I felt that Cotto was going to be an easy fight for him, though I gave Cotto a puncher's chance. We saw him in what people would NOW rate as the best fight of his career (as of late). Nobody was saying that before the first bell rang.

Sergio is two weight classes above Floyd and has consistently fought there for 2 years now. The funniest part about Sergio is, his ass cant even decide whether or not, he's a MW or a Jr. MW. When a Kirkland fight was presented to him, he said that Kirkland had to come up to 160, but when a Mayweather fight is brought up...he begs for it and says that he can make 154 comfortably. laugh.gif Funny aint it?

Why would he make Kirkland move up in weight, but not Floyd? He views Kirkland as a risk, but he (Sergio) is willing to risk his health to fight for what? Yep you got it...a big payday. Again, African Americans dont dominate the market as they once did, so it's best to strike while the iron's hot...i.e. Mayweather picking Ortiz after a big victory over an undefeated Berto.

Guys are complaining about Floyd "cherry picking" and not fighting the best, but again, that $32M guaranteed purse speaks volumes that people are trying to overlook. I would say that some people need to take notes...

Floyd has managed to "preserve" his body by calculating the risk before and during his fights, and most of all...he's managed to preserve brain cells. Im sure he thought Cotto would be an easy fight (though he doesn't underestimate her opponents), but we saw it a bit differently. So cherry picking doesn't always mean a "safe fight" when the bell rings, because one punch can change that...
Jovi
If anyone has the chance to beat floyd, other than the pac argument, Sergio is definitely the next contender hands down if no the only contender. The last few fights he has been fighting haven't been against bad boxers either, I respect his game, and he has been KOing them and hurting them. And he is taller and also has a longer reach (which is most of the time floyd's advantage). he isnt slow, he isnt weak, he isnt soft, he isnt short. And another thing is he can go 12 rounds, great athlete.

for floyd to beat sergio he would have to fight like he did against Corales, in and out boxing, but idk if he can do it anymore, he seems more flat footed ready to box. still has the best head movement and defense for blocking punches, but his legs aint moving as much.

Other than him having no audience, Sergio martinez is the real deal, not alot of people want to fight him, i think that's why you see him fighting random no names. Hes beating everyone, other than i think Andre ward (might be too big), just because he is a bigger a version of mayweather and maybe able to take the punishment that would come along with fighting martinez.

Too good of a fight, i wouldnt even know how it would go, it could go either way, but i wouldnt be surprised if martinez did win.
Chameleon
QUOTE (Cshel86 @ May 15 2012, 10:24 AM) *
Again, who DOESN'T fight for bigger paydays? Hell, most of these guys that are out here fighting, are fighting according to the direction that they're promoter is leading is them. Promoters "preserve" their fighters as well...ya know?...making them fight low-risk fights and try to get the lion's share of the purse. Low risk, high reward?

Im wondering why is it a problem for Floyd to do the same? Honestly, if he still had a promoter, then the same thing would be going on. I cant even say that he doesn't necessarily fight the best, but on another note, I felt that Cotto was going to be an easy fight for him, though I gave Cotto a puncher's chance. We saw him in what people would NOW rate as the best fight of his career (as of late). Nobody was saying that before the first bell rang.

Sergio is two weight classes above Floyd and has consistently fought there for 2 years now. The funniest part about Sergio is, his ass cant even decide whether or not, he's a MW or a Jr. MW. When a Kirkland fight was presented to him, he said that Kirkland had to come up to 160, but when a Mayweather fight is brought up...he begs for it and says that he can make 154 comfortably. laugh.gif Funny aint it?

Why would he make Kirkland move up in weight, but not Floyd? He views Kirkland as a risk, but he (Sergio) is willing to risk his health to fight for what? Yep you got it...a big payday. Again, African Americans dont dominate the market as they once did, so it's best to strike while the iron's hot...i.e. Mayweather picking Ortiz after a big victory over an undefeated Berto.

Guys are complaining about Floyd "cherry picking" and not fighting the best, but again, that $32M guaranteed purse speaks volumes that people are trying to overlook. I would say that some people need to take notes...

Floyd has managed to "preserve" his body by calculating the risk before and during his fights, and most of all...he's managed to preserve brain cells. Im sure he thought Cotto would be an easy fight (though he doesn't underestimate her opponents), but we saw it a bit differently. So cherry picking doesn't always mean a "safe fight" when the bell rings, because one punch can change that...

Glad to read an honest reply... is Sergio looking for a Payday, pretty much seems that way. Is floyd cherry picking? yes, but so does most champions... When ur the king of an country, do you cherry pick the queen? of Course. Do you demand the best? yes. So yea, Sergio did the same thing with kirkland, that floyd did with marquez.., yeah, Cotto impressed me in his fight with Floyd... The same as marquez impressed people with his performance against Pacman. Yeah, cherry picking doesn't always work in ppl's favor, Tsyon douglas. But yeah, so in the end, why expect the best to fight the best, if both dont have a fan base... sad truth, we only can look forward to seeing the best, if we can pay out the rear for it. Some people don't mind, but hey, i guess reality is the world is driven by the dollar. And in boxing its no different-low risk, high reward, which is why bradley said no to khan for the same purse in casamoyor... now he fights pacman.

guess its why we didnt see many fights... but ur point is well noted, and i didn't deny the facts, "Its Business First" all about ones self and the money, legacy dont pay bills.
Cshel86
QUOTE (Jovi @ May 15 2012, 10:36 AM) *
If anyone has the chance to beat floyd, other than the pac argument, Sergio is definitely the next contender hands down if no the only contender. The last few fights he has been fighting haven't been against bad boxers either, I respect his game, and he has been KOing them and hurting them. And he is taller and also has a longer reach (which is most of the time floyd's advantage). he isnt slow, he isnt weak, he isnt soft, he isnt short. And another thing is he can go 12 rounds, great athlete.

for floyd to beat sergio he would have to fight like he did against Corales, in and out boxing, but idk if he can do it anymore, he seems more flat footed ready to box. still has the best head movement and defense for blocking punches, but his legs aint moving as much.

Other than him having no audience, Sergio martinez is the real deal, not alot of people want to fight him, i think that's why you see him fighting random no names. Hes beating everyone, other than i think Andre ward (might be too big), just because he is a bigger a version of mayweather and maybe able to take the punishment that would come along with fighting martinez.

Too good of a fight, i wouldnt even know how it would go, it could go either way, but i wouldnt be surprised if martinez did win.

Sergio's 5'10 (about 2 inches taller than Floyd) and he DOESN'T have an arm length advantage over Floyd. His arm length is only 24 inches, not 26 inches like Floyd's. He rehydrates to about 165 lbs, but wait, let me guess...guys are going to start saying that Ortiz weighed 164 lbs when he fought Floyd. Ortiz is a big WW, but will get murdered at 154, especially against guys like Canelo.

Ortiz is a big WW, and Sergio is a big 154 lber that fights at MW...BIG difference. Sergio has patches in the fight when he gets tired, and he DOESN'T make adjustments in the later rounds of the fight. It's usually due to his opponent getting tired, nothing special.

Guys are REALLY going out of their way to pump Sergio up, just as the media has done with some of these guys in the past...just so that they can build up a "big fight". Floyd is a WW and has NO BUSINESS at 154, let alone, trying to fight at a catchweight between 154-160. Sergio is a MW and has been for 2 years...no way this fight happens.
Cshel86
QUOTE (Chameleon @ May 15 2012, 11:07 AM) *
Glad to read an honest reply... is Sergio looking for a Payday, pretty much seems that way. Is floyd cherry picking? yes, but so does most champions... When ur the king of an country, do you cherry pick the queen? of Course. Do you demand the best? yes. So yea, Sergio did the same thing with kirkland, that floyd did with marquez.., yeah, Cotto impressed me in his fight with Floyd... The same as marquez impressed people with his performance against Pacman. Yeah, cherry picking doesn't always work in ppl's favor, Tsyon douglas. But yeah, so in the end, why expect the best to fight the best, if both dont have a fan base... sad truth, we only can look forward to seeing the best, if we can pay out the rear for it. Some people don't mind, but hey, i guess reality is the world is driven by the dollar. And in boxing its no different-low risk, high reward, which is why bradley said no to khan for the same purse in casamoyor... now he fights pacman.

guess its why we didnt see many fights... but ur point is well noted, and i didn't deny the facts, "Its Business First" all about ones self and the money, legacy dont pay bills.

You're right about being the top guy and picking the best. Besides, wouldn't take advantage of that perk? As far as Im concerned, EVERYBODY not only fights to make money, but they fight for the right sit on that throne, make demands, and be sure that those big paydays are consistent.

I cant even say that Tyson cherry picked Douglas, because if I remember correctly, the winner of that fight was supposed to fight Evander. I know one thing...Tyson thought it was going to be an easy fight.

That "purse" that Bradley earned in the Casamayor fight, was nothing more than his signing bonus from Top Rank in addition to his purse...which was less than what he made against Devon and less than what Khan offered. He came out on top with this upcoming Manny fight, but that shit was planned waaaay before he even signed.
sduck
This fight should go down at 154. No catch-weight. Martinez is not too big, the guy has been barely weighing in the 160s in his last few fights.

And lol, where do these trolls come from. Always trying to say people are nuthugging Floyd. Maybe some people understand he's the best in the sport, as of right now? And beating him requires more than just hope and power. It's not impossible but its very unlikely when you got this guy who's very physically gifted and has a super high boxing IQ. You're looking at Roy Jones, Bernard Hopkins, and James Toney in one fighter.

Why I think Sergio is an easy fight for Floyd. Only tough part about Sergio is his size, Floyd won't just be able to blow through the guy because Sergio is the bigger guy. And people act like Floyd hasn't fought people who are bigger than him before. Sergio is a southpaw, there's this thing that flops around that Floyd is bad against southpaws, which isn't true. Floyd fights southpaws a specific way, which takes a bit more time to shut them down compared to an orthodox fighter. Here's an example of how Floyd fights southpaws http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vtH9G_Fo8j4
Now Sergio is a southpaw, he's a typical southpaw, jab jab jab straight left, repeat. He'll try to throw a left uppercut if you get close to him, something like Pacquiao or Judah would do. Sergio is a head hunter, Floyd doesn't have to worry about other plans, because Sergio has no other plans. Sergio is a one-dimensional fighter, who doesn't know how to make adjustments, he tries to increase his rate of what hes already doing, and it hopefully works out for him, like his last two fights. Where it's not that exactly he's diminishing in performance, his last couple of performances opened up obvious flaws with this guy. Sergio is not a pressure fighter, he's a in and out fighter, likes to fight with his hands down (I don't know why he does this, because hes not any good at dodging punches), when you style him up against Floyd, he's going to try to box with Floyd, and will lose every round, because Sergio likes to fight backwards, is not quick enough on his feet to throw Floyd off his game, Floyd will be landing at will, and Sergio just lacks these adjustments (for some reason some people here says he does, but I don't see them). Sergio has power and okay speed (I think Floyd struggles most against pressure and speed, because then you're able to hit him more often) he will hit Floyd, everyone does, but I don't see him landing anything that will give him the knockout (he'll mostly land a jab). Just because he can knock these other guys out, doesn't mean he will knock out Floyd Mayweather. When you're fighting Floyd Mayweather, you are not fighting any other of these guys you have fought your entire career. You're a fighting a different fight, because this guy changes what you're doing in the fight. Floyd's boxing style is perfect to give Sergio's style problems, plus Floyd is way too technical for Sergio, which sums it up to me why it would be an easy round by round fight.

In additional note, I was actually kind of shocked on how well he fought Cotto. Cotto did exactly what I thought he should do, but Floyd still out-fought him. Some people try to discredit Floyd's performance, but that kind of performance right there, especially against a solid guy like Cotto, at that weight, helps me lack any doubt.
Cshel86
QUOTE (sduck @ May 15 2012, 11:48 AM) *
This fight should go down at 154. No catch-weight. Martinez is not too big, the guy has been barely weighing in the 160s in his last few fights.

C'mon man...Sergio is too big, he's really a big dude. He may weigh-in under 160 (like he weighed 157.5 against Macklin), but he rehydrates to around 165 or maybe even close to 170 since his unofficial weight wasn't announced for the Macklin fight.

Floyd has NO BUSINESS at 154, unless it's "business" which translates to MONEY. The only two times that he went to 154 and didn't try to hit the weight, was against Oscar (which was his highest payday at the time, and a crossover fight), then Cotto (which earned him the highest guaranteed purse in the sport of boxing).

I dont see how Sergio brings ANY of this to the table. If anything, Canelo is worth another trip to 154, but for obvious reasons...MONEY. Sergio is a begging MW with no fan base, and has never had a big payday. He cant even land one in a division that he's been in for 2 years now. The fact that Pacquiao wont even fight the dude when he's dead at 150 lbs should be very telling...
sduck
I agree its a pointless fight business wise.... And that's what matters most when you're at this height in your career.
checkleft
QUOTE (leonthegee @ May 15 2012, 08:21 AM) *
Dont fool yourself man Serg has been on a great run no question but hes a tweener. Serg was never dominate at 154lbs before so what makes you think he can drop down now and beat the best fighter onthe planet? Dont forget Serg is the same guy that struggled against Kermit Cintron. Serg isnt a pressure fighter and he doesnt throw any body punches. We can actually sit here and say Floyd doesnt have to worry about getting out worked.

Sergs has been fighting bigger guys that chase him around and gas out late in fights. Floyd will be able to cut off the ring and he definetly will not gas out late. Sergs best attack is to foot stomp and land the straight left.

Also what entitles Serg to 20% in a fight with Floyd? Hes been on a great run as of late but he cant draw flies to shit. His last fight sold like what? 3500 tickets and did like 660,000 at the gate? Yawn!!! And thats in NYC and those were all pissed off Irish drunks. Is Serg gonna bring 10,000 Argentians to Vegas? Fuck no. If your gonna be mad be mad at HBO for not marketing this guy as the next Floyd stopper. At least then "Mayweather Hater Nation" will move off Pacquiao and on to Serg. I could live with that.

Haha are you serious? Did you even watch the Cintron fight? He literally knocked the guy out, the fight was over, they basically gave Cintron a do over! Not only that they robbed Martinez on the cards too! Lmfao
aTYpicalTYrant
QUOTE (Cshel86 @ May 15 2012, 12:04 PM) *
C'mon man...Sergio is too big, he's really a big dude. He may weigh-in under 160 (like he weighed 157.5 against Macklin), but he rehydrates to around 165 or maybe even close to 170 since his unofficial weight wasn't announced for the Macklin fight.

Floyd has NO BUSINESS at 154, unless it's "business" which translates to MONEY. The only two times that he went to 154 and didn't try to hit the weight, was against Oscar (which was his highest payday at the time, and a crossover fight), then Cotto (which earned him the highest guaranteed purse in the sport of boxing).

I dont see how Sergio brings ANY of this to the table. If anything, Canelo is worth another trip to 154, but for obvious reasons...MONEY. Sergio is a begging MW with no fan base, and has never had a big payday. He cant even land one in a division that he's been in for 2 years now. The fact that Pacquiao wont even fight the dude when he's dead at 150 lbs should be very telling...

+1 CSHEL....... MONEY TALKS
Cshel86
QUOTE (checkleft @ May 15 2012, 12:54 PM) *
they basically gave Cintron a do over!

LMAO!

How many times has the ref, officials, and everyone else (aside from himself) helped Cintron? Doesn't dumb shit ALWAYS happen in his fights? laugh.gif
checkleft
QUOTE (Cshel86 @ May 15 2012, 12:19 PM) *
LMAO!

How many times has the ref, officials, and everyone else (aside from himself) helped Cintron? Doesn't dumb shit ALWAYS happen in his fights? laugh.gif

Yes! Someone else sees it! They were really trying to shove that kid down everyone's throat lol

Don't forget his botched swanton bomb through the table
Cshel86
QUOTE (checkleft @ May 15 2012, 01:25 PM) *
Don't forget his botched swanton bomb through the table

"Stunt of the Year"

I dont know what's worse, that crazy dive that he did through the ropes, or the painful display of the English language by Willaims after the fight. I know he was concerned about Cintron's safety, but that speech would've taken any man over the top...possibly into a coma that he should've suffered for diving out of the ring.
BigDDatHomey
QUOTE (Cshel86 @ May 15 2012, 10:24 AM) *

I'm jumping in this a little late. CShel hit the nail on the head. C'mon ya'll. It's all about the payday, that's why everyone tries to call out the cash cow.
Sergio is too big. If Sergio had a huge following, the risk might be worth the reward. I don't see the point in Mayweather fighting him.
leonthegee
QUOTE (checkleft @ May 15 2012, 09:54 AM) *
Haha are you serious? Did you even watch the Cintron fight? He literally knocked the guy out, the fight was over, they basically gave Cintron a do over! Not only that they robbed Martinez on the cards too! Lmfao

Serg was definetly robbed in that fight. Totally agree with that but it should of never been close. Serg is not a volume puncher hes a pot shotter really. And if you think hes gonna hop around his way to a victory against Floyd your crasy.
BoxingStill#1
Im just kinda lost on the "best PPV #'s fighters arent the best fighters" thingy...

I mean I get the point, but arent they the PPV draw for a reason?

People want to see Floyed lose sooooo bad.. hahha.. shits funny.. they act like Martinez (a huge middle weight) would walk right through Floyed...

It would be a boxing match dude... Floyed would pot shot his ass back to Lou dibella's office cryin for a rematch or a shot at Pac....(same thing he's been beggin for for 2 years now)

Punchers chance.....
Jovi
I know the whole top draw thing is an argument, but people act like floyd only takes big money fights. He fought Victor ortiz recently, who wasnt that big of a draw at all, i dont see that being an argument in the martinez case because HE WILL TAKE WHATEVER DEAL FLOYD GIVES HIM. which would still be his biggest payday, and that goes to any fighter going up against mayweather, even pacquiao.

The best BOXER of this era to me, is floyd, hands down. but people really do discredit martinez to say he wouldnt beat him, he is sloppy, alittle too sloppy especially fighting with his hands down since he gets hit. But he takes the punches and takes the punishment because he can. He would have a reach advantage (76" to floyd's 72"), he is stronger than mayweather. People seem to get about martinez's right hand too. He has power in both hands, bigger, stronger, and just a few levels down of floyds speed..He has that lights out left hand too!! haha

Though every fight is different, this would defintely be his hardest challenge. And he has said before he would like to move up and face martinez (which is why i began to follow martinez), but recently martinez has just gotten better. I'm glad floyd is at the top, i just want him to beat people who matter, so he can finally get his credit. and if martinez did come down and lose to floyd, even if at the catchweight, that would be some hoodpoints.

This fight would be a new Leonard/Hearns! smile.gif
Cshel86
QUOTE (Jovi @ May 15 2012, 08:02 PM) *
I know the whole top draw thing is an argument, but people act like floyd only takes big money fights.

C'mon man...HE DOES...

He fought Victor ortiz recently, who wasnt that big of a draw at all

Ortiz was enough of a draw for Mayweather to pick him. Besides, GBP was still trying to build Ortiz up, despite the Maidana quit-session. Let's not forget how Ortiz basically embarrassed an undefeated African American fighter, just months before that. Floyd was present at that fight, it went public, Ortiz won in a beautiful fashion, the fight was already in the works...period.

Martinez hasn't done enough to even open the eyes of the public, other than the Williams knockout. Nobody else remembers anything beyond that...well, casual fans dont remember, let alone, know anything about it.

people really do discredit martinez to say he wouldnt beat him, he is sloppy, alittle too sloppy especially fighting with his hands down since he gets hit. But he takes the punches and takes the punishment because he can

How often does Martinez get hit? Most of the guys that he fought were no match for him anyway, and he's not even this big p4p fighter that people label him, so that should tell you something.

He would have a reach advantage (76" to floyd's 72"), he is stronger than mayweather.

Stop reading boxrec and watch the Tale of the Tape from HBO, which will possibly be the network that this "fantasy fight" takes place. Floyd has a 26 inch arm length, and Sergio has 24 inch arm length.

People seem to get about martinez's right hand too. He has power in both hands, bigger, stronger, and just a few levels down of floyds speed..He has that lights out left hand too!! haha

That "lights out" left hand that people are still holding on to (since the Williams rematch) only works down the stretch when a guy is tired, or early in the beginning when opponents like Williams are known for leaving their right hand down when throwing or resetting. He only has "power in both hands" because he is accurate enough to land his punches, but that does NOT mean that he has that much power.

And he has said before he would like to move up and face martinez (which is why i began to follow martinez)

He also said that Pacquiao was next...have we seen that yet? Not everything that Floyd says is the truth, and the result of his decisions are usually based on money, and low risk. If he has to take bigger risks, then he moves up in weight for big paydays/a crossover fight (De La Hoya fight), or when he stands to make the biggest guaranteed purse in boxing history (Cotto fight).

Martinez doesn't bring what Oscar or Miguel brings, which is projected revenue, translation: a fight that not only hardcore fans want to see, but nearly clueless/casual fans.

I'm glad floyd is at the top, i just want him to beat people who matter, so he can finally get his credit.

Opponents that "matter" better have money attached to their name, or else. PS: He will NEVER get his credit. He can save every hungry child in Africa, and find the cure for AIDS...it STILL wont matter.

This fight would be a new Leonard/Hearns! smile.gif

Stop it, please.

Sometimes we give Martinez too much credit, and forget that he cant land a meaningful fight to save his life, let alone, get the attention of the big dogs. Sometimes guys get mad at folks for lining up Floyd's next fight and accuse him of ducking, but those same people that get mad, try to steer away from being called a nuthugger by giving the "fantasy opponent" credit enough to fight Floyd. Weird...
Hotsauce
QUOTE (Chameleon @ May 15 2012, 07:50 AM) *

lol @ me being a die hard mayweather fan

ortiz at least is a mexican, sergio deserves a flat fee and thats it.
checkleft
QUOTE (leonthegee @ May 15 2012, 03:01 PM) *
Serg was definetly robbed in that fight. Totally agree with that but it should of never been close. Serg is not a volume puncher hes a pot shotter really. And if you think hes gonna hop around his way to a victory against Floyd your crasy.

Your right it shouldn't have been close, because he knocked the guy out right before they gave him a do over.. he hit him so hard he thought it was a headbutt
Hotsauce
QUOTE (Cshel86 @ May 15 2012, 11:04 AM) *

also floyd 2 highest ppvs and the 2 highest non heavyweight ppvs.

2.4 mill(floyd/oscar)

1.5 mill(floyd/cotto)
Cshel86
Im sure I already mentioned this, but check out this theory...

Floyd fan: (insert name other than Pacquiao) ______ would be a good fight for Floyd, because he has power, reach, height, weight, etc.

FM Hater: Why wont Floyd fight (insert name)? He's asking for more money or saying the guy isn't draw, so he's ducking him. Floyd is scared to lose.

Final thought: Floyd fans only bring up other fighters that he can fight (and possibly have a "hard time" against), so they wont be called a nuthugger, when in reality, they think the guy is invincible.

When a Floyd hater does the same (builds up or suggests a future opponent) and says that he is ducking them, THEN the Floyd fan gets mad. Really? Didn't the Floyd fan throw that same random name out there for Floyd to fight next? Why get mad at the comments of others when the fight doesn't materialize? Weird...

BoxingStill#1
QUOTE (Cshel86 @ May 16 2012, 10:14 AM) *

Floyd fan: (insert name other than Pacquiao) ______ would be a good fight for Floyd, because he has power, reach, height, weight, etc.

FM Hater: Why wont Floyd fight (insert name)? He's asking for more money or saying the guy isn't draw, so he's ducking him. Floyd is scared to lose.

Final thought: Floyd fans only bring up other fighters that he can fight (and possibly have a "hard time" against), so they wont be called a nuthugger, when in reality, they think the guy is invincible.

When a Floyd hater does the same (builds up or suggests a future opponent) and says that he is ducking them, THEN the Floyd fan gets mad. Really? Didn't the Floyd fan throw that same random name out there for Floyd to fight next? Why get mad at the comments of others when the fight doesn't materialize? Weird...

LMWAO!..

Thats the beauty of it...
Franchize
QUOTE (Cshel86 @ May 16 2012, 10:14 AM) *

Yea like when he was supposedly ducking Magarito lol Magarito vs Mayweather would have been like Gatti vs Floyd 2. It would have been like watching Cotto vs Magarito 1 but this time Cotto has elite defense and he won't get tired lol
Run and Gun Game Calls
QUOTE (Cshel86 @ May 15 2012, 01:31 PM) *
I cant even say that Tyson cherry picked Douglas, because if I remember correctly, the winner of that fight was supposed to fight Evander. I know one thing...Tyson thought it was going to be an easy fight.

That fight was a perfect storm. Tyson had gotten away from Rooney and has his boys training him so he was basically training himself, he wasnt ready for the fight and got dropped in sparring the week before the fight, and douglas had the issues with his mom.

Not taking away from Douglas tho.
Franchize
QUOTE (Run and Gun Game Calls @ May 16 2012, 11:21 PM) *
That fight was a perfect storm. Tyson had gotten away from Rooney and has his boys training him so he was basically training himself, he wasnt ready for the fight and got dropped in sparring the week before the fight, and douglas had the issues with his mom.

Not taking away from Douglas tho.

Not to mention Tyson's corner was pretty awful. Instead of an enswell, they had like a water balloon or some shit lol

Everything had the makings of an upset for Tyson
1. Nonchalant attitude in training camp and in the fight
2. Douglas being in quality shape
3. Douglas being a solid boxer going against Tyson, who had become strictly a brawler
4. Tyson's people kissing his ass.
5. The loooooooong count once Douglas got dropped
6. Tyson's corner doing a horrendous job
7. Tyson inexplicably searching for his mouthpiece instead of standing up.
Extant
QUOTE (Franchize @ May 17 2012, 06:15 AM) *
Not to mention Tyson's corner was pretty awful. Instead of an enswell, they had like a water balloon or some shit lol

It was actually a condom with cool (no ice) faucet water in it.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.