Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: The Fight Game with Jim Lampley
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
Franchize
I couldn't resist. It's boxing so as much a Lampley annoys me now, I had to watch. It was actually pretty interesting. It seemed like a mix between Bill Maher and Real Sports with Bryant Gumbel (both HBO shows ironically). I felt like Arum threw Manny under the bus over his new devotion to religion.
Overall, decent show. I'l watch again.

Heres some of the clips I found. Sorry, can't find the full thing anywhere:

Cshel86
I actually liked the format, and yes, it did remind me of Real Sports and Bill Maher's show...nice blend and transition for HBO! Arum sounded like a drunk, lethargic, mafia member...nothing new though.

I wasn't a fan of how they're doing this megafight shit to death, but it was actually some good input by all parties. Schaefer was good, but maybe because I knew that the show was only half an hour, so he couldn't talk me to sleep. Anytime he's talking, I always pray for the fast forward button.

I think that Lampley should be on the show, but he should have a co-host that can take the heat and ask the hard questions during these satellite interviews...wouldn't want it to come back on Jim during HBO fights.
Franchize
QUOTE (Cshel86 @ May 15 2012, 06:05 PM) *
I actually liked the format, and yes, it did remind me of Real Sports and Bill Maher's show...nice blend and transition for HBO! Arum sounded like a drunk, lethargic, mafia member...nothing new though.

I wasn't a fan of how they're doing this megafight shit to death, but it was actually some good input by all parties. Schaefer was good, but maybe because I knew that the show was only half an hour, so he couldn't talk me to sleep. Anytime he's talking, I always pray for the fast forward button.

I think that Lampley should be on the show, but he should have a co-host that can take the heat and ask the hard questions during these satellite interviews...wouldn't want it to come back on Jim during HBO fights.

I was very impressed and enlightened by Scheafer. I was surprised they devoted equal time to both parties.

Not even trying to be funny, Bob Arum sounded horrible. Is he ok health wise? He was short of breath and he kept doing this disgusting thing with his tongue.

Overall, I'm a big fan of Bill Maher and Real Sprts has grown on me so I think I'll keep watching this and see where it goes. That Gatti List thing was corny though lol
Cshel86
QUOTE (Franchize @ May 16 2012, 08:39 AM) *
I was very impressed and enlightened by Scheafer. I was surprised they devoted equal time to both parties.

Not even trying to be funny, Bob Arum sounded horrible. Is he ok health wise? He was short of breath and he kept doing this disgusting thing with his tongue.

Overall, I'm a big fan of Bill Maher and Real Sprts has grown on me so I think I'll keep watching this and see where it goes. That Gatti List thing was corny though lol

Yeah Schaefer was pretty good, and I especially liked his segment. Of course, he didn't have 20 mins of mumbo jumbo to cough up like he does at the pressers, so I was pleased.

I was a bit concerned about Bob myself...he sounded like he was ready to take his last breath. He does throw people under the bus, but hell, whose gonna stop him? Lol

As Im sure most of us can agree on, the format of the show is a smooth blend of the Bill Maher show (which Im also a fan of) and Real Sports...oh yeah, was Kellerman great or what? He's definitely grown on me over the years.

That Gatti/Ward round that they showed had me rollin'! If guys think that Steward lost his shit in the first Berto/Ortiz fight, then they really need to watch the Gatti/Ward trilogy. "AND HERE COMES GATTI BACK!!!" That shit was FUNNY!
Franchize
QUOTE (Cshel86 @ May 16 2012, 09:41 AM) *
That Gatti/Ward round that they showed had me rollin'! If guys think that Steward lost his shit in the first Berto/Ortiz fight, then they really need to watch the Gatti/Ward trilogy. "AND HERE COMES GATTI BACK!!!" That shit was FUNNY!

I remember them saying "Hello referee, anytime you wanna stop it feel free". Then saying," he's really letting them fight in there"....Uhhh yea because it's becoming one of the greatest fights EVER! That fight gave ME a headache lmao They weren't even remotely trying to move their heads.
kej718
Like the show format but think Kellerman should be the host since HBO isn't letting him do much on the broadcast. Hope they start to interview past greats to give there take on current fights and fighters. Wouldn't it be cool if they had a round table discussion with The Fabulous 4 (Hearns, Hagler, Leonard and Duran)
Franchize
Wouldn't mind seeing Dan Rafael and Max Kellerman do a show. That thing on EPIX Rafael does isn't half bad information wise. Roach is actually pretty good. Obviously, his Parkinsons gets the best of him sometimes mid sentence but he offers some good info. I also wish Teddy Atlas had a larger platform to speak on the sport. While he's a bit aggressive, he knows a ton about the sport. More importantly, he's incredibly passionate about the Sweet Science and readily speaks out about things that stand to taint it.
Cshel86
QUOTE (Franchize @ May 16 2012, 01:34 PM) *
I also wish Teddy Atlas had a larger platform to speak on the sport.

Atlas hosts FNF for a steady paycheck, and with good reason. To the corrupt sport of boxing, Atlas is that little brother of yours, that knows every sneaky little thing that goes on with you, so you have to give him just enough to keep quiet...yet he never does.
daprofessor
lampley is a piece of shit. haven't watched the show....don't really plan on watching it either.
Franchize
QUOTE (Cshel86 @ May 16 2012, 02:36 PM) *
Atlas hosts FNF for a steady paycheck, and with good reason. To the corrupt sport of boxing, Atlas is that little brother of yours, that knows every sneaky little thing that goes on with you, so you have to give him just enough to keep quiet...yet he never does.

I love how that email just got swept under the rug, Nobody cared to ask about it ever again. It was like Mr C and the tranny on Hot 97 in NYC. So we're just not going to talk about it? We're gonna forget it ever was mentioned? Oh ok.... not_i.gif
OneOne
QUOTE (Franchize @ May 15 2012, 04:43 PM) *
I couldn't resist. It's boxing so as much a Lampley annoys me now, I had to watch. It was actually pretty interesting. It seemed like a mix between Bill Maher and Real Sports with Bryant Gumbel (both HBO shows ironically). I felt like Arum threw Manny under the bus over his new devotion to religion.
Overall, decent show. I'l watch again.

I had high hopes for the show, but it looked like a low-budget, half-hearted attempt. 30 minutes of air time and the most interesting topics they came up with we're Pac-Mayweather, Khan being ticked off at Peterson's positive test, Bradley head butts, and a list of fighters Lampley likes? Tell us something we don't already know. Ugh.
daprofessor
QUOTE (OneOne @ May 17 2012, 09:54 AM) *
I had high hopes for the show, but it looked like a low-budget, half-hearted attempt. 30 minutes of air time and the most interesting topics they came up with we're Pac-Mayweather, Khan being ticked off at Peterson's positive test, Bradley head butts, and a list of fighters Lampley likes? Tell us something we don't already know. Ugh.

did he film it with his iphone on a couch in his front room with a curtain behind him? i'm sure if the show had a scent it would smell like some of that cali stank. straight from one of the medicinal places of course. laugh.gif

as the show goes on he starts getting more and more squinty eyed and shit. giggling and laughing at everything that is said...has his girl make guacamole for the in studio(apartment) guests. he flips on her because she forgot to season it...he beats her ass while the cameras are rolling but he's smart enough to do it out of shot....laugh.gif

man! i should be a director/producer for that shit!!! laugh.gif
Cshel86
What in the hell is up with that Nazi comment by Bob, and why in the hell did Lampley just downplay it as a "colorful comment" by Bob? Damn dude, I dont believe they'll cancel your show if you disagree with Bob.
Hotsauce
QUOTE (Cshel86 @ May 21 2012, 11:25 AM) *
What in the hell is up with that Nazi comment by Bob, and why in the hell did Lampley just downplay it as a "colorful comment" by Bob? Damn dude, I dont believe they'll cancel your show if you disagree with Bob.

smh bob is probably paying these dudes
BoxingFan86
QUOTE (Cshel86 @ May 16 2012, 09:41 AM) *
Yeah Schaefer was pretty good, and I especially liked his segment. Of course, he didn't have 20 mins of mumbo jumbo to cough up like he does at the pressers, so I was pleased.

I was a bit concerned about Bob myself...he sounded like he was ready to take his last breath. He does throw people under the bus, but hell, whose gonna stop him? Lol

As Im sure most of us can agree on, the format of the show is a smooth blend of the Bill Maher show (which Im also a fan of) and Real Sports...oh yeah, was Kellerman great or what? He's definitely grown on me over the years.

I promise to God I thought about that "Funny Commentator Moments" thread when I saw that clip. Steward had me in tears.
Cshel86
QUOTE (Hotsauce @ May 21 2012, 12:44 PM) *
smh bob is probably paying these dudes

Yep...seems like Bob has a lot of these guys by the nuts nowadays. He's probably some fuckin' mob boss that we wont know about until he's dead. As we all know, real mafia members are people that we least expect (teachers, lawyers, law enforcement officers, FightHype writers cool.gif , etc)...not these clueless homo-thugs that twist their fingers and kill for nothing.

QUOTE (BoxingFan86 @ May 21 2012, 02:04 PM) *
I promise to God I thought about that "Funny Commentator Moments" thread when I saw that clip. Steward had me in tears.

Steward lost his shit throughout that trilogy. "AND HERE COMES GATTI BACK!!!"
BoxingFan86
QUOTE (Cshel86 @ May 21 2012, 05:57 PM) *
Yep...seems like Bob has a lot of these guys by the nuts nowadays. He's probably some fuckin' mob boss that we wont know about until he's dead. As we all know, real mafia members are people that we least expect (teachers, lawyers, law enforcement officers, FightHype writers cool.gif , etc)...not these clueless homo-thugs that twist their fingers and kill for nothing.

Steward lost his shit throughout that trilogy. "AND HERE COMES GATTI BACK!!!"

I was re-watchin' that episode (On Demand) last night and I kept rewindin' that part. Steward said that shit with so much passion and conviction.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.