Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: canelo vs williams
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
daprofessor
what do u guys think? i love this fight. i believe this is the fight to put williams back on the map.
BigFightFan
QUOTE (daprofessor @ May 16 2012, 03:31 PM) *
what do u guys think? i love this fight. i believe this is the fight to put williams back on the map.

Paul Williams would be a good test for Canelo, but pwill could possibly be put back on his ass not on the map.
bnoles4life
I think Canelo better be on his "Ps" & "Qs".
neophyte7
This fight may put his skinny ass back to sleep like Sergio did... Paul Williams is 6"3 and fights 5"3... he is nothing special.. never was.. I remember some people saying he would beat Tommy Hearns some years ago LMAO.. Tommy would have did him like Duran...
leonthegee
Im sick of GBP babying freakin Canelo. 50 cent can do the remix video and Canelo can play Oscars baby mama. "Have a baby by be baby. Be a millionare."
Cheesey1
I'll definitely put this one on my calendar. As has been said many times, 154 is a great division and they could've made a lot of good match ups for Canelo and this is one of them. Not the best, but a legitimate test, that I think that Alvarez should pass (possibly by K.O), but he might end up getting Punished instead.

I was fine with Kirkland too, but this might be a bit more interesting.
daprofessor
QUOTE (BigFightFan @ May 16 2012, 03:36 PM) *
Paul Williams would be a good test for Canelo, but pwill could possibly be put back on his ass not on the map.

williams has been in more than his fair share of wars...but the guy is never in a boring fight imo. i think he's had a decent amount of time to get himself back together and nothing about canelo's style spells disaster to me. canelo can punch but he's not southpaw and he won't give paul much movement. he's going to stand there with him. i can't recall seeing williams struggle against orthodox fighters. i think canelo is just what the doctor ordered.
bnoles4life
QUOTE (daprofessor @ May 16 2012, 05:51 PM) *
williams has been in more than his fair share of wars...but the guy is never in a boring fight imo. i think he's had a decent amount of time to get himself back together and nothing about canelo's style spells disaster to me. canelo can punch but he's not southpaw and he won't give paul much movement. he's going to stand there with him. i can't recall seeing williams struggle against orthodox fighters. i think canelo is just what the doctor ordered.

+1
Cshel86
As shakey as Paul's chin has been lately, who knows how this one will go. In the Ishida fight, he got shook up early on...so Im not sure how he hangs in this one.
Franchize
I used to really like Paul Williams but unfortunately, he's peak as a decent fighter who could have been great. He's a classic example of a guy who got a trainer early on and became blindly loyal to him. George Peterson is NOT ready to train fighters on this level. Anytime your fighter repeatedly gets hit with the same punch fight after fight, round after round and you stubbornly say things as if you don't care... I have no faith in you.

The beauty with guys like Andre Ward, Bernard Hopkins, Floyd Mayweather etc is that everyone thinks they have a blueprint out to beat them. Problem is, they figure out their mistakes before you do. Then, they also know exactly what you THINK your going to try to do before you even step in the ring. In the Hatton-Mayweather 24/7, Floyd was already saying what Hatton was going to try to do in training camp.

With Paul Williams, everyone knows he's a sucker for a over hand left. Yet instead of adjusting, its like he invites it. Lara came in the fight basically saying "I'm going to try and do exactly what Martinez did to KO you." From the very 1st bell, he did exactly that. He literally could have fought with one hand.

Some people say that some kids learn the stove is hot before they touch it. Some kids have to get burned to realize "I better not touch that anymore." It's like Paul wants to keep his hand in the fire time and time again. Paul! The fire doesn't lose! You hand will never get used to it! It will ALWAYS burn you and it will ALWAYS hurt!
wolterb
This would be an interesting fight. Williams is tenacious but can't match Alvarez' power; Alvarez is patient but leaves ample time for Williams high punchoutput to make a dent on scorecards.

I don't see Williams coming out of this with a win though...unless there is some monkey business with judges. Which leads me to this, hows about Alvarez - Lara? I'd be tempted to say Lara could take Alvarez offa cloud9
daprofessor
QUOTE (Franchize @ May 17 2012, 09:33 AM) *
I used to really like Paul Williams but unfortunately, he's peak as a decent fighter who could have been great. He's a classic example of a guy who got a trainer early on and became blindly loyal to him. George Peterson is NOT ready to train fighters on this level. Anytime your fighter repeatedly gets hit with the same punch fight after fight, round after round and you stubbornly say things as if you don't care... I have no faith in you.

The beauty with guys like Andre Ward, Bernard Hopkins, Floyd Mayweather etc is that everyone thinks they have a blueprint out to beat them. Problem is, they figure out their mistakes before you do. Then, they also know exactly what you THINK your going to try to do before you even step in the ring. In the Hatton-Mayweather 24/7, Floyd was already saying what Hatton was going to try to do in training camp.

With Paul Williams, everyone knows he's a sucker for a over hand left. Yet instead of adjusting, its like he invites it. Lara came in the fight basically saying "I'm going to try and do exactly what Martinez did to KO you." From the very 1st bell, he did exactly that. He literally could have fought with one hand.

Some people say that some kids learn the stove is hot before they touch it. Some kids have to get burned to realize "I better not touch that anymore." It's like Paul wants to keep his hand in the fire time and time again. Paul! The fire doesn't lose! You hand will never get used to it! It will ALWAYS burn you and it will ALWAYS hurt!

i use this analogy all the time! have we talked before? huh.gif

the sad thing...martinez fought the same fight quintana did in their first fight. paul kept walking into traps set by quintana...over...and over. in the rematch paul sat on that back foot and walked him down instead of falling over his front foot repeatedly. he got the knock out early. problem solved. then in the martinez fight...he goes right back to the pressure thing against a bigger, stronger, faster version of quintana. he gets dropped solid but gets right back up and in the 5th round or so...sits back and uses his range and turned that fight around. then towards the end...he turns it back up and makes it closer but going back to how he started. we all know what happened in that 2nd martinez fight. it was very disappointing to see paul not adjust. then the lara fight....damn. same shit. but lets look at this....quintana, martinez, lara are all southpaws. that over hand left is not a punch an orthodox fighter would throw. it won't work against him.
Franchize
Sad part is, the right trainer could make Paul into a beast. I've never seen a guy that big that can punch at that rate for 12 rounds. His stamina is pretty impressive.
The Original MrFactor
QUOTE (Franchize @ May 17 2012, 09:33 AM) *

Freaking Great post!! That sums it up right there. Its still a close fight. IF WILLIAMS could learn to fight tall, he'd win this easily, but he wont and thus will get into a firefight that even if he gets the best of it, he wont win a decision against this kid.
The Original MrFactor
QUOTE (Franchize @ May 17 2012, 04:55 PM) *
Sad part is, the right trainer could make Paul into a beast. I've never seen a guy that big that can punch at that rate for 12 rounds. His stamina is pretty impressive.

Emmanuel Steward wanted this guy in the worst way. You could just tell from his commentary on HBO. Manny would have molded this guy into a stud. I think manny wanted Pavlik too who suffers from some of the same issues as Williams, fierce loyalty to his childhood trainer. I think Pavlik finally left his guy though. Williams can still salvage his career after the age of 30. look at Wladimir Klitschko. Tall guy who used to get hit by much smaller men. Manny changed his game after the age of 30 and made this guy into the Champuion he is today.
Franchize
QUOTE (The Original MrFactor @ May 18 2012, 12:44 AM) *
Emmanuel Steward wanted this guy in the worst way. You could just tell from his commentary on HBO. Manny would have molded this guy into a stud. I think manny wanted Pavlik too who suffers from some of the same issues as Williams, fierce loyalty to his childhood trainer. I think Pavlik finally left his guy though. Williams can still salvage his career after the age of 30. look at Wladimir Klitschko. Tall guy who used to get hit by much smaller men. Manny changed his game after the age of 30 and made this guy into the Champuion he is today.

I agree.I never thought Pavlik was all that good though. His biggest wins are against guys who were as fundamentally flawed as he was. Pavlik has a wicked 1-2 but thats it.

Manny wants a lot of guys. For a guy who's a sure HOFer, Manny's track record with recent fighters isn't so great. PPL love to talk about Floyd calling him an Uncle Tom but forget the way Manny treated Mayweather after Floyd wouldn't switch to him.

I actually think a Mayweather would be perfect for Williams but not Roger. Let's face it, to fight for Roger and Floyd Sr, you have to have already had some type of fundamentals and boxing instincts. I think JEFF Mayweather cold teach Paul some quality things. Despite the outcome, I think Jeff taught Lattimore a lot. I think Lattimore gained a lot. He just jumped into quality way too soon. Quintana is too good to be still trying to find yourself with.
pesticid
I think Canelo is strong as a bull and he's got crazy confidence. He wants to fight everyone, Kirkland, Williams, Floyd, Cotto and he's only 21.

I love Canelo's short compact combos.
Thickback
It's a toss up, but I favor Williams because of his punch output and Canelo's head being an easily found target. Canelo is powerful, and throws some great combonations, but he isn't a good counterpuncher. So if Williams stays busy, he could pull it off. But the betting odds will favor Canelo easily. If Williams some how develops good head movement, he could make this an easy fight. (not easy but easier....). If Canelo looks up defense in a dictionary, then he can def become what they are building him to be.
pesticid
QUOTE (Thickback @ May 20 2012, 02:09 PM) *
It's a toss up, but I favor Williams because of his punch output and Canelo's head being an easily found target. Canelo is powerful, and throws some great combonations, but he isn't a good counterpuncher. So if Williams stays busy, he could pull it off. But the betting odds will favor Canelo easily. If Williams some how develops good head movement, he could make this an easy fight. (not easy but easier....). If Canelo looks up defense in a dictionary, then he can def become what they are building him to be.

Canelo's got defense, he covers up really well and his arms and hands are strong there. He used to move his head more at 147, lately he feels so strong though, he'll just stay there with his hands up and deflect or block almost everything without wasting much energy, slipping bobbing and weaving.
daprofessor
QUOTE (pesticid @ May 20 2012, 09:54 PM) *
Canelo's got defense, he covers up really well and his arms and hands are strong there. He used to move his head more at 147, lately he feels so strong though, he'll just stay there with his hands up and deflect or block almost everything without wasting much energy, slipping bobbing and weaving.

i agree.
sduck
Paul Williams would win rounds as the aggressor and his punch output, but Canelo would be rocking that ass the entire night. I definitely see Canelo winning this, with some tight rounds.
Sunni6Killer
Alvarez is going to put a beating on Williams.
Cshel86
It's obvious that Williams isn't willing to change anything, so the Williams that we've seen over the past 3 years will be present of Sept. 15. The only way he'll be able to effectively throw volumes of anything, is if he works behind his jab...which he doesn't utilize as good as he used.

He would keep guys at bay with it, and exchange occasionally (or at least with some type of sense), now he's the complete opposite. Sad thing is, he sees nothing wrong with it.
Franchize
Any chance this means we can get a K9 vs Kirkland match...winner gets Canelo? I mean seriously, I LOVE boxing and I'll watch fights that casual fans wouldn't but c'mon... Cory Spinks? dry.gif
daprofessor
QUOTE (Cshel86 @ May 23 2012, 01:52 PM) *
It's obvious that Williams isn't willing to change anything, so the Williams that we've seen over the past 3 years will be present of Sept. 15. The only way he'll be able to effectively throw volumes of anything, is if he works behind his jab...which he doesn't utilize as good as he used.

He would keep guys at bay with it, and exchange occasionally (or at least with some type of sense), now he's the complete opposite. Sad thing is, he sees nothing wrong with it.

the shot that has plagued williams is an overhand left. i have never seen canelo throw an overhand left. also...canelo is a counterpuncher who is about the same height as shane mosley. that's approximately 5'6-5'7 depending on who u believe. williams is still 6'2 with a wingspan longer than the klitschkos. canelo seemed to be out of breath in the fight with mosley. mosley wasn't setting a blistering pace. he's 40 yrs old. williams can still set a blistering pace. i wouldn't be shocked if williams stops canelo. all williams has to do is be himself in this fight and he should be alright. styles make fights. gomez...the matchmaker for gbp, called this one wrong. the guy is oscars childhood friend. he should have stuck to being his friend, he is not a real matchmaker.
daprofessor
QUOTE (Franchize @ May 23 2012, 02:12 PM) *
Any chance this means we can get a K9 vs Kirkland match...winner gets Canelo? I mean seriously, I LOVE boxing and I'll watch fights that casual fans wouldn't but c'mon... Cory Spinks? dry.gif

how about winners face each other? there's a great chance canelo loses this one.
Franchize
QUOTE (daprofessor @ May 23 2012, 02:17 PM) *
how about winners face each other? there's a great chance canelo loses this one.

I think Canelo is going to beat Paul. Either way, I don't wanna see Paul fight either of them. That's too many piss poor fundamentals for one night of boxing lmao
daprofessor
QUOTE (Franchize @ May 23 2012, 04:15 PM) *
I think Canelo is going to beat Paul. Either way, I don't wanna see Paul fight either of them. That's too many piss poor fundamentals for one night of boxing lmao

i think paul beats canelo, bundrage and kirkland. a solid, well conditioned kirkland presents the toughest challenge of the 3 though.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.