Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Andre Berto tests positive. Failed both samples
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
Pages: 1, 2
HaydelHammer
Former welterweight titleholder Andre Berto has tested positive for a banned substance, putting his scheduled June 23 rematch with fellow former titlist Victor Ortiz in jeopardy.

Berto tested positive for the steroid norandrosterone, a source with direct knowledge of the test results told ESPN.com on Friday.

Promoter Lou DiBella told ESPN.com he was unsure of what Berto tested positive for but confirmed the result.

"I know he tested positive. I learned it in the last half-hour," DiBella said. "I have nothing else to say. I don't know all of the details, so I have nothing else to say."

Ortiz and Berto had agreed to use the Las Vegas-based Voluntary Anti-Doping Association for random blood and urine testing in the lead up to their fight at the Staples Center in Los Angeles. Showtime had made the bout the centerpiece of its boxing schedule for the first half of the year.

Showtime is proceeding as though the fight will be canceled. A network source told ESPN.com that Showtime is already discussing with Golden Boy Promotions about possible replacement opponents to face Ortiz.

Berto submitted to a random urine test May 2, according to the source. The "A" test came back positive last week. The "B" sample also came back positive Friday, triggering VADA to alert the California State Athletic Commission, DiBella and Golden Boy's Richard Schaefer, Ortiz's promoter.

In April 2011, Ortiz outslugged Berto to win a welterweight title in one of the year's most exciting fights. The rematch was supposed to take place Feb. 11 in Las Vegas, but Berto suffered a biceps injury, forcing the postponement to June 23.

This is the second high-profile positive drug test in the past two weeks. Junior welterweight titlist Lamont Peterson tested positive for synthetic testosterone following a March 19 random test in the lead up to his rematch with Amir Khan. They were scheduled to meet Saturday night in Las Vegas, but the fight was canceled last week.

ESPN - BOXING

Failed both samples...commission wasn't informed of any doctor issued meds (same as peterson) I'm sure. Floyd looking more and more like a winner in his efforts to force testing across the board.

..and berto tried to say Ortiz was dirty (which I'm sure he did cycle) so he goes and tries to run a cycle..timed it wrong and got caught. Morons.
BoxingStill#1
This is honestly a crying shame
thefloatingmonkey
Boxing has really been sucking this year.
mitukczuk
Oh man...not Berto, take Ortiz...not Berto...

Floyd's got a point.
Franchize
I always kinda thought both guys could be roiding. They both fit the mold.
Damn shame. I wanted to see this fight more than the Pacquiao vs Bradley fight.
Huge back n traps on these guys. Cant say Im surprised.
So is Pacquiao vs Bradley the only upcoming major boxing match NOT using OSDT?
Cshel86
Droppin' like flies, I tell ya...
bnoles4life
Here's the dreaded question: Who's next?
flazi
could be something he took that he thought was safe. Lots of supplements are tainted with metabolites of deca.
HaydelHammer
QUOTE (flazi @ May 18 2012, 06:25 PM) *
could be something he took that he thought was safe. Lots of supplements are tainted with metabolites of deca.

there are two samples A and B taken....you fail A..you are informed (now is your time to turn over your supplements list, MEDS...etc)....fail B and still have no list of things you have taken....not a good look. These guys are given a chance to spill the beans.

Roy tested positive, admitted he took over the counter (Ripped Fuel at the time..I took the same shit) and passed other test afterwards. It's really that simple. Just admit what you took if it's over the counter.

These guys know they are already skating on a thin line. Why risk anything inside your body outside of protein shakes and vitamins is beyond me.
BigFightFan
Another good fight down the drain. Berto wanted out of this fight so he pulled a Lamont
Cshel86
QUOTE (bnoles4life @ May 18 2012, 06:18 PM) *
Here's the dreaded question: Who's next?

Nope...the next "dreaded" question that Im sure people REALLY want to ask is..."Which black fighter is next?" Sad, but patterns dont lie. My qoute for the sport is..."If you cant compete with the elite, then pack your shit and hit the streets."
Cheesey1
QUOTE (mitukczuk @ May 18 2012, 05:54 PM) *
Oh man...not Berto, take Ortiz...not Berto...

Floyd's got a point.

Ha!
Cheesey1
What a bummer, but I guess that's why these tests need to happen. Let's see what Berto has to say, but some guys think that they can beat the random tests, but they can't.
Cshel86
Im hoping that whatever he was taking, was prescribed and injury-related. At least everyone knew he was injured, unlike everyone knowing about Lamont's "piss in the wind" testosterone issue. In this case, he may get a pass, who knows...

Over the past two weeks, there's been 1 fight and a possible that is looking to be cancelled...not a good loo for boxing. At this point, on would ask several questions:

1. What are they going to do if fighters keep coming up hot?
2. Will they continue to be strict about holding fighters accountable, or will they start excusing some substances that are somewhat helpful to a fighter, but makes them test positive every time?
3. How long are they going to keep missing out on money, in the event that this fight is cancelled?

*Disclaimer: I posed question #2 because we ARE talking about boxing here...the sport of the biggest set of blind eyes. We've seen worse in the past, so if they make a way for fighters to test and excuse some positive results, then let's not be surprised.

Ultimately, they'll nullify the purpose of strict testing and go back to what always made them money...the blind eye. If shit likes this costs the money (if fights continue to get cancelled), then I see them eventually blowing off these tests and doing the usual bullshit tests. Again, we're talking about boxing...
Jack 1000
It just blows my mind with all the anti-doping rules being talked about and how steroids can hurt boxing's already pained reputation, one has to ask. "Are these boxers so fucking stupid that they think they aren't going to get caught?" Sounds like it. Also sounds like this shit's been going on for years! But to make an omelet, you have to crack some eggs. Keep the pre-fight anti-doping requirements mandatory! This is needed to stop cheating in the sport, and make sure that fighters and winning with honesty and integrity.

Jack

Hotsauce
2012 is not a good year for boxing
Hotsauce
QUOTE (Cshel86 @ May 18 2012, 06:17 PM) *
Im hoping that whatever he was taking, was prescribed and injury-related. At least everyone knew he was injured, unlike everyone knowing about Lamont's "piss in the wind" testosterone issue. In this case, he may get a pass, who knows...

Over the past two weeks, there's been 1 fight and a possible that is looking to be cancelled...not a good loo for boxing. At this point, on would ask several questions:

1. What are they going to do if fighters keep coming up hot?
2. Will they continue to be strict about holding fighters accountable, or will they start excusing some substances that are somewhat helpful to a fighter, but makes them test positive every time?
3. How long are they going to keep missing out on money, in the event that this fight is cancelled?

*Disclaimer: I posed question #2 because we ARE talking about boxing here...the sport of the biggest set of blind eyes. We've seen worse in the past, so if they make a way for fighters to test and excuse some positive results, then let's not be surprised.

Ultimately, they'll nullify the purpose of strict testing and go back to what always made them money...the blind eye. If shit likes this costs the money (if fights continue to get cancelled), then I see them eventually blowing off these tests and doing the usual bullshit tests. Again, we're talking about boxing...

gbp losing a lot of money lately
Cheesey1
I like what I just saw on FH from Alexander.....Alexander vs. Ortiz, make it happen!!
OneOne
QUOTE (HaydelHammer @ May 18 2012, 06:52 PM) *
there are two samples A and B taken....you fail A..you are informed (now is your time to turn over your supplements list, MEDS...etc)....fail B and still have no list of things you have taken....not a good look. These guys are given a chance to spill the beans.

That's NOT how it works. You don't get a chance to explain after the A sample tests positive.
Jhill47
Damn man I was looking forward to this fight.
flazi
if you are dirty then both a and b are going to come back dirty. i know i was taking bad ass mass before a show and tested positive. i was pissed.
Cshel86
QUOTE (Jack 1000 @ May 18 2012, 07:58 PM) *
"Are these boxers so fucking stupid that they think they aren't going to get caught?" Sounds like it.

This is how I look at it Jack...we've all played the "pull-out" game with a chick (rather than being safe and "wrapping it up") at least once before. We all know the risks that comes with that method (diseases, kids, etc), but yet, we have tried it in the past, and some guys are still taking that chance.

I relate that to these fighters trying their luck with PEDs. Some of them take low-budget steroids and get caught...some dont. Some try the good shit and attempt to mask it...they usually pass the tests...some of them come up short. Fact of the matter is...at one point, we ALL get caught.

QUOTE (Hotsauce @ May 18 2012, 08:09 PM) *
gbp losing a lot of money lately

BOXING is losing money at this point. Let's not forget that DiBella is feeling this as well as GBP and Showtime. Sucks...

QUOTE (Cheesey1 @ May 18 2012, 08:32 PM) *
I like what I just saw on FH from Alexander.....Alexander vs. Ortiz, make it happen!!

Make it happen. Go ahead and open a thread (ANYBODY) because it looks like Berto is about to give up the ghost, meet the maker, catch the vapors, whatever you want to call it at this point. TOTALLY unfair how we (as well as Ortiz) have had to wait because of this imcompetent, second-guessing, D-level fighter.

We haven't seen him fight or Ortiz fight since Aug and Sept, and to be truthful, I ONLY miss Ortiz' fights, not Berto's . Go ahead and give Devon what he was waiting for in the first place, so we can all see a fight. Its a shame that Ortiz will have been out of the ring for almost a year because of this scumbag.

You cant tell by his reaction after their first fight, that he was broken after Victor nearly put an end to his insignificant existence. Alexander/Ortiz! Bring it!

QUOTE (OneOne @ May 18 2012, 08:35 PM) *
That's NOT how it works. You don't get a chance to explain after the A sample tests positive.

They let Lamont go through the whole spill, why not? If they dont get a chance to explain after the 'A' sample comes up hot, then why does the VADA go through the trouble of checking the 'B' sample? Think...
Hotsauce
QUOTE (Cshel86 @ May 18 2012, 08:29 PM) *
BOXING is losing money at this point. Let's not forget that DiBella is feeling this as well as GBP and Showtime. Sucks...

yea u right
mrchitown
QUOTE (Hotsauce @ May 18 2012, 07:05 PM) *
2012 is not a good year for boxing

You hit the nail on the head! It's just unfortunate what's been happening to the sport so far this year, and it's only May. I'm going to withhold my full judgement of the situation until all the facts come out but Berto is definitely in a bad spot, especially due to his ties to Conte and the fact that his team after the Ortiz fight accused him of being on PED's. If it gers cancelled then once again the fans, fighters, promoters, and networks lose again and lose BIG. There is no winner in situations like this.
Franchize
I have less sympathy for Berto than I do for Peterson. I actually kibda buy Lamonts story especially since its even backed by Ariza. Berto was dumb for hiring Conte to begin with. Look, the guy can be the best nutritionist/strength coach or watever. Sure people deserve second chances. But Im not gonna be the one who gives him the second chance. Not when I acknowledge myself that the sport may be dirty. And damn sure not when Im already one of the most muscular fighters in boxing.

Look, I had a close female friend of mine contract an std in college. Shes an awesome girl. One of the nicest ppl youll ever meet. Got screwed over by some asshole. She got treated for it and she no longer has it. Should she never be allowed to have a bf again? No, it wasnt even her fault. Be it as it may, Im not going to be the first guy going raw in her. Sorry. You gotta prove to be clean for some years. You have to build back your track record before egregious shit like that gets expunged. If Im your first rodeo since you got burned, I have nobody to blame but myself. Youve gotta come up with some familiar names that left satisfied and untainted before I put my livelihood on the line.

The other thing that rubs me the wrong way is the fact that he didnt immediately make a public statement. The longer you wait n dont categorically deny your a cheat, the longer the public is allowed to assume and wonder.

End of the day, none of us know the nuances of either situation but one thing is for certain. Both guys were irresponsible.
HaydelHammer
QUOTE (OneOne @ May 18 2012, 08:35 PM) *

How does it work? enlighten me please.

During the Peterson deal HE told everyone after the A fail everything was all good(IE...I"m clean took nothing), so they were confident about the B test. The commission said AFTER the B failure that Peterson "all of a sudden" remembered of test he got from a doctor. Commission made it clear about how it was funny how the results of Test A didn't jog his memory but B results did. Translation....A failed, what are you taking or have taken? Will B fail..yep, but at least we KNOW and have something to go on.

Roy did this, failed tests vs richard hall...he provided supp list and nobody even know about it until later. IE....things can be kept under wraps, told to other camp, purses adjusted...etc and you will never even know about it.

When you don't say anything zero tolerance should be applied.
Cheesey1
Keep the random tests coming. I completely disagree that this is bad for boxing. Berto can't make it, then let Alexander or any of the many compelling WWs have that shot.

Boxing needs to be clean, no ifs, ands, or buts! If the boxer has a medical reason, or some other plausible explanation then lets hear it, but if not then some sort of ban has to be enforced. A year, with the ability to appeal after 6, or 9 months is fair. These guys are young and if they were ever any good, then they'll bounce back.
bnoles4life
QUOTE (Cshel86 @ May 18 2012, 06:05 PM) *
Nope...the next "dreaded" question that Im sure people REALLY want to ask is..."Which black fighter is next?" Sad, but patterns dont lie. My qoute for the sport is..."If you cant compete with the elite, then pack your shit and hit the streets."

Well, to be fair, the only non-black fighter that I know of that popped "pos" was Joey Gilbert, from "The Contender" fame. lol
Cheesey1
QUOTE (bnoles4life @ May 19 2012, 01:46 PM) *
Well, to be fair, the only non-black fighter that I know of that popped "pos" was Joey Gilbert, from "The Contender" fame. lol

Don't forget Fernando 'roid rage' Vargas. As self-defeating as it sounds, I'm sort of glad that there've been high profile faled tests, because now the argument for random testing is so much more compelling. Of course I wish that these guys didn't fail their tests so that I could've watched two must see matches, but the results of this will make the sport better. If boxing loses a few fringe fans, or the "boxing is dead" types, I'm perfectly fine with that.
mgrover
oh for fucks sake.
Cshel86
QUOTE (bnoles4life @ May 19 2012, 01:46 PM) *

May as well throw in Julio Caesar Jones (Chavez) Jr (no Mexican is that damn tall, Sr. may wanna hit up Maury) for those diuretics (sp). Oh yeah, Salido had a bad run with PEDs.

QUOTE (Cheesey1 @ May 19 2012, 02:33 PM) *
I'm sort of glad that there've been high profile faled tests, because now the argument for random testing is so much more compelling. Of course I wish that these guys didn't fail their tests so that I could've watched two must see matches, but the results of this will make the sport better.

Me too. Imagine lesser known fighters failing tests...being the fact that they dont bring that much attention (money) to the sport, it's easy for them to sweep it under the rug.
Cheesey1
QUOTE (Cshel86 @ May 19 2012, 10:07 PM) *
May as well throw in Julio Caesar Jones (Chavez) Jr (no Mexican is that damn tall, Sr. may wanna hit up Maury) for those diuretics (sp). Oh yeah, Salido had a bad run with PEDs.

Me too. Imagine lesser known fighters failing tests...being the fact that they dont bring that much attention (money) to the sport, it's easy for them to sweep it under the rug.

The WW division is so deep with legit opponents for Ortiz that I'm almost saying "Berto who?" Actually, I'm not almost saying it. I'd like to see Alexander vs. Ortiz, big time.

GBP had better not fuck it up. if they put to that one together, I don't see how people won't get over the Berto issue A.S.A.P. If people don't, then I think that MMA's on T.V somewhere...
checkleft
I agree gbp has so many options right now. You could make ortiz kahn, maidana kahn, Prescott kahn, even Alexander kahn. You could go ortiz maidana, ortiz Alexander. You could make maidana zab, maidana Garcia.. they are just filled with options now with the two cancellations
bnoles4life
QUOTE (Cheesey1 @ May 19 2012, 01:33 PM) *
Don't forget Fernando 'roid rage' Vargas. As self-defeating as it sounds, I'm sort of glad that there've been high profile faled tests, because now the argument for random testing is so much more compelling. Of course I wish that these guys didn't fail their tests so that I could've watched two must see matches, but the results of this will make the sport better. If boxing loses a few fringe fans, or the "boxing is dead" types, I'm perfectly fine with that.

Cheesey...you're right and I should've clarified: by non-black, I meant "white" fighter.

Oh yeah.....IT AIN'T EASY BEIN' CHEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEESEY!!!
Cheesey1
QUOTE (bnoles4life @ May 20 2012, 10:49 AM) *
Cheesey...you're right and I should've clarified: by non-black, I meant "white" fighter.

Oh yeah.....IT AIN'T EASY BEIN' CHEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEESEY!!!

Or as Peter Parker says, with great cheeseness comes great responsibility!
Cheesey1
QUOTE (checkleft @ May 20 2012, 02:52 AM) *
I agree gbp has so many options right now. You could make ortiz kahn, maidana kahn, Prescott kahn, even Alexander kahn. You could go ortiz maidana, ortiz Alexander. You could make maidana zab, maidana Garcia.. they are just filled with options now with the two cancellations

Yup. I hope that this Josesito Lopez talk is just loose talk.
Jovi
My question is, are these tests the same tests that pacquiao hasnt taken yet?
bnoles4life
QUOTE (Cheesey1 @ May 20 2012, 10:18 AM) *
Or as Peter Parker says, with great cheeseness comes great responsibility!

thumbsup_anim.gif
Cshel86
QUOTE (bnoles4life @ May 20 2012, 10:49 AM) *
by non-black, I meant "white" fighter.

Guess I missed the clue on this one...silly me.

I know one thing...NOBODY's gonna miss Berto, and he furthered validated that the ass whoopin' Ortiz put on him last April, really took a toll on him. His most exciting performance was a fight that he lost, which is very telling.

To be honest, I already had Alexander/Ortiz in the back of my mind after Devon beat Maidana. Had this fight happened in February (as it was initially scheduled), then we still would've been seeing an Alexander/Ortiz fight anyhow.

Getting caught with KNOWN steroids in your body after a guy hands you a loss, is also very telling. He should thank Haymon for the easy paydays, and blame him in the same breath for all of those soft touches (aside from Collazo).
Cheesey1
QUOTE (Cshel86 @ May 20 2012, 04:50 PM) *
Guess I missed the clue on this one...silly me.

I know one thing...NOBODY's gonna miss Berto, and he furthered validated that the ass whoopin' Ortiz put on him last April, really took a toll on him. His most exciting performance was a fight that he lost, which is very telling.

To be honest, I already had Alexander/Ortiz in the back of my mind after Devon beat Maidana. Had this fight happened in February (as it was initially scheduled), then we still would've been seeing an Alexander/Ortiz fight anyhow.

Getting caught with KNOWN steroids in your body after a guy hands you a loss, is also very telling. He should thank Haymon for the easy paydays, and blame him in the same breath for all of those soft touches (aside from Collazo).

Ouch, that's a bit harsh.

Even though I hope that they find another oppponent for Ortiz asap, I'll still watch Berto after he's properly punished (if he did take PEDs of course. I'm more willing to buy Lamont's story because of the medical rationale).
Cshel86
QUOTE (Cheesey1 @ May 20 2012, 05:13 PM) *
Ouch, that's a bit harsh.

Even though I hope that they find another oppponent for Ortiz asap, I'll still watch Berto after he's properly punished (if he did take PEDs of course. I'm more willing to buy Lamont's story because of the medical rationale).

I'll still watch him fight as well, but again, I wont miss him if he doesn't fight again in the near future. Victor pretty much knocked him down a peg after he beat him, and validated the opinion of others about Berto.

Somebody else in this thread mentioned how "muscular" Berto is, so hearing about him getting busted with steroids, came as no surprise to some. Of course his physique could be contributed to workouts and so forth, but damn dude, you just saw Lamont get caught up.

Berto has held up a pivotal fight in the WW division as well as a triple-header, so that further angers me and not care less about his next fight or whatever he does after this shit settles. Funny how he accused Victor of being on something last year (after the fight), then backtracked. Look whose caught up now. Damn, wasn't the Soto/Matthysse fight supposed to be on this undercard? Fuck...

If this Lopez guys is Victor's next fight, then so be it. Hopefully it's a tune-up for something better. Better to have a replacement, than no fight at all.
Franchize
Has Berto made a public statement yet? Dick
Cshel86
QUOTE (Franchize @ May 20 2012, 06:01 PM) *
Has Berto made a public statement yet? Dick

He recently put some gibberish out there...a bunch of half-assed, lazy, rhetoric.
daprofessor
haven't kept up with all of this. i always thought it was a bad idea to hook up with victor conte. i'm sure he'll distance himself from all of this.

mad props to floyd...he's the one that brought all of this to the forefront.

mad props to vada for being the first to catch 2 fighters using. i was looking forward to both fights....but if this is what we have to sacrifice to clean up the sport...so be it.
Franchize
If guys are getting busted by both samples thru VADA, these standard test they were taking before must have been some str8 up BS. Like pissing on a Scantron.
Cshel86
QUOTE (daprofessor @ May 20 2012, 08:58 PM) *
haven't kept up with all of this. i always thought it was a bad idea to hook up with victor conte. i'm sure he'll distance himself from all of this.

mad props to floyd...he's the one that brought all of this to the forefront.

mad props to vada for being the first to catch 2 fighters using. i was looking forward to both fights....but if this is what we have to sacrifice to clean up the sport...so be it.

I agree! It's like back in the day when your mom or dad would whoop your ass, then tell you afterwards that "they did it because they love you". laugh.gif I hate to see these fights get cancelled, but its for the good of the sport.

QUOTE (Franchize @ May 20 2012, 09:29 PM) *
Like pissing on a Scantron.

LMFAO! Who in fuck remembers Scantron tests besides you??? Hell, if you put chapstick on those mofos, then they would come back inconclusive.
Cheesey1
Strangely enough I don't think that Victor Conte was involved. Obviously I could be completely and absolutely wrong. Wouldn't be the first time.
checkleft
QUOTE (Cheesey1 @ May 20 2012, 10:19 AM) *
Yup. I hope that this Josesito Lopez talk is just loose talk.

Me too.

Although the Prescott challenging is very interesting, slugfest anyone???
whiteboy
its becoming obvious that more boxers use ped's than we or I originally thought, its a shame but i guess its been like this for so long now and nothing has actually changed and i feel more boxers are going to fail these vada tests more regularly in the near future, get ready for a load more cancellations
whiteboy
Khan vs Ortiz Anyone???
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.