Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Which match up is better Donaire Vs Broner or Rios Vs Alvarado?
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
BoxingEinstein

I would like to know your picks and what you think of these fights?
daprofessor
donaire is waaaay too small for broner.

who is alvarado? huh.gif
BoxingEinstein
QUOTE (daprofessor @ May 23 2012, 05:16 PM) *
donaire is waaaay too small for broner.

who is alvarado? huh.gif

Donaire's power and speed is what will keep him in the fight and also his length.

Mike Alvarado? Look him up, he's a solid fighter in the 140 class and is very capable of fighting a hard punching pressure fighter in Rios. It would be my instant FOTY candidate if it happens.
leonthegee
QUOTE (BoxingEinstein @ May 23 2012, 02:19 PM) *
Donaire's power and speed is what will keep him in the fight and also his length.

Mike Alvarado? Look him up, he's a solid fighter in the 140 class and is very capable of fighting a hard punching pressure fighter in Rios. It would be my instant FOTY candidate if it happens.

Donaire would get the breaks beat off of him. Broners too big, too skilled, and too long. I used to think Donaire was a technical fighter but I havent been all that impressed with the Filapino Flash lately.
daprofessor
QUOTE (BoxingEinstein @ May 23 2012, 05:19 PM) *

donaire will get slept by broner. donaire is fast against most of the guys he's been fighting....but broner is on another level.

alvarado...i remember him now. at 140....rios has no advantages. this guy has beaten better fighters than rios.
mrchitown
For my money, I'd rather watch Broner vs Donaire. Even though Nonito would be taking a nap in the fight, it certainly is more appealing then the other fight mentioned. Plus, with all the problems and bullshit Rios has been going thru, I really don't care to see him fight again until he gets his shit together. And even then I think Alvarado still gives him the business in the ring
Cshel86
Im ready to see Mile High Mike against Rios right about now. Those dudes are gonna scrap 'til the end, and its gonna worth the money. Broner and Donaire are overrated to me...
Cheesey1
Donaire's frame seems like it could handle the weight to go up to face Broner, but I think that it would be a pretty clear beat down by Broner. Donaire might surprise me though, but I seriously doubt it.

Alvarado/Rios, yeah I'd watch it. I can't remember watching Alvarado, but if he passed Boxing 101, then I'll pick him over Rios. ..
checkleft
QUOTE (daprofessor @ May 23 2012, 06:19 PM) *
donaire will get slept by broner. donaire is fast against most of the guys he's been fighting....but broner is on another level.

alvarado...i remember him now. at 140....rios has no advantages. this guy has beaten better fighters than rios.

Right on the button. Broner is way too big that match up isn't even plausible, by the time nonito went up broner would be at 140.

But both top rank hype jobs get blitzed in these match ups
Franchize
I can't get excited for Rios until he starts taking himself more seriously. In my opinion, he's the Chris Arreola of the lower weight classes. I can't even say you're an exciting prospect until you give everything to boxing. When you consistently struggle with weight problems, I have a problem with that. Either make the weight or move up. The only question marks a fighter should have should be strategy. Conditioning and weight should be "givens" for world class fighters!

I agree Broner is probably too heavy for Donaire but who knows how much weight Donaire's frame can add? I'd like to see the fight mainly because I want to see the clash between Broner's in the pocket style and Nonito's phenomenal footwork.
Jovi
Broner vs nonito would be a good fight, dont see it going good for nonito, he doesnt have the defense Broner has. if we dont get mayweather/pac..we will get this jr version of it haha

I dont get how no one has knocked out rios yet, Hell give me a paycheck and ill go in the ring and beat Rios's ass!

Or just give him to broner! biggrin.gif
wolterb
rios v alvarado.

donaire can't compete with broner...i'm not considering skill, just size.
Cshel86
Im wondering how folks are already giving Broner, "Mayweather-type" credit for defense. Is it because he does a decent rendition of Floyd's style? That HAS to be the answer, because honestly, Broner hasn't fought anybody that has tested his defense. All that he's been fighting are dwarfs...
mrchitown
I like Rios and Alvarado. I've seen a few of Alvarado's fights and he brings it every single fight and Rios is definitely entertaining in and out of the ring. But his weight issues shows a lack of maturity on his part and he's look lackluster in his last few fights, whether that's a result of the weight I don't know. What I do know is Abril showed some weak links in Rios' armor. I think any one who has some decent footwork and boxes will dominate Rios. Broner on the other hand is one of the next stars in boxing. Him and Donaire.

That's why I'd rather see a Donaire vs Broner fight. These two guys have impeccable skills and it would be a solid fight while it lasts. The only thing I don't like about Broner is the "Mayweather" soundbites and bravado, but if he carves out his own lane he'll be just fine. I see Broner as a top p4p guy in the future. I can't say that for Bam Bam, he'll be a top 15-20 guy but I question his commitment. I think Broner beats the brakes off all three of these fighters if they ever fought down the line
mrwigi
QUOTE (Cshel86 @ May 24 2012, 12:09 PM) *
Im wondering how folks are already giving Broner, "Mayweather-type" credit for defense. Is it because he does a decent rendition of Floyd's style? That HAS to be the answer, because honestly, Broner hasn't fought anybody that has tested his defense. All that he's been fighting are dwarfs...

+1
Cshel86
Im also wondering how people give Donaire so much credit and a P4P ranking, when his skills look sub par against somebody with solid technique and has the balls to remain disciplined.

Some folks hang onto that Montiel knockout, just as bad as some folks hold onto the Martinez/Williams knockout. Seriously, Donaire cant stay out of the way of a jab to save his life. He was so in a rush to knockout Vazquez (which he didn't), that HIS face showed to be on the receiving end of a beatdown.

Between these two matches...Broner/Donaire is nothing short of a fantasy match, while Rios/Alvarado could happen tomorrow. Well to think about it, I do have a bit of faith in the Donaire/Broner fight afterall, besides, Nonito DID try to jump ship from Top Rank last year, until Bob kept his ass honest and sat him down for a while.
daprofessor
what i don't understand more than anything is why anyone is giving donaire consideration against broner who outweighs him by 10lbs when he looked like total shit against wv2. he just moved up to 122. it appears he doesn't have power there. his boxing skills are not really all that. he, like pacquiao, shines against hard nose, come straight at u limited fighters. i've never seen him fight anyone with any parts of slickness or speed. broner is way bigger....way faster. i think he puts donaire to sleep. that fight will NEVER happen. it's not worth discussing.
daprofessor
QUOTE (Cshel86 @ May 24 2012, 02:47 PM) *
Im also wondering how people give Donaire so much credit and a P4P ranking, when his skills look sub par against somebody with solid technique and has the balls to remain disciplined.

Some folks hang onto that Montiel knockout, just as bad as some folks hold onto the Martinez/Williams knockout. Seriously, Donaire cant stay out of the way of a jab to save his life. He was so in a rush to knockout Vazquez (which he didn't), that HIS face showed to be on the receiving end of a beatdown.

Between these two matches...Broner/Donaire is nothing short of a fantasy match,
while Rios/Alvarado could happen tomorrow. Well to think about it, I do have a bit of faith in the Donaire/Broner fight afterall, besides, Nonito DID try to jump ship from Top Rank last year, until Bob kept his ass honest and sat him down for a while.

exactly! solid post.
Cshel86
QUOTE (daprofessor @ May 24 2012, 03:11 PM) *
it's not worth discussing.

It'll definitely be worth the watch, I must say. Donaire's athleticism will help him throughout the fight, but Broner will be waaay bigger than him on fight night. From the looks of it, Nonito would have to move up 8 lbs, JUSt to reach the weight limit, or he may come in a couple of lbs lighter. I see coming into that fight flabby. His upcoming opponent for July 7th, is 5'10...let's see how this works for him.
daprofessor
QUOTE (Cshel86 @ May 24 2012, 04:49 PM) *
It'll definitely be worth the watch, I must say. Donaire's athleticism will help him throughout the fight, but Broner will be waaay bigger than him on fight night. From the looks of it, Nonito would have to move up 8 lbs, JUSt to reach the weight limit, or he may come in a couple of lbs lighter. I see coming into that fight flabby. His upcoming opponent for July 7th, is 5'10...let's see how this works for him.

did u see donaire's last couple of fights? huh.gif
mgrover
am sorry how is mike a solid boxer, he got outboxed for 8 out ten rounds, and because prescott was too much of an idiot to take a knee he got the TKO.
BoxingEinstein
QUOTE (mgrover @ May 24 2012, 05:27 PM) *
am sorry how is mike a solid boxer, he got outboxed for 8 out ten rounds, and because prescott was too much of an idiot to take a knee he got the TKO.

There has been alot of fighters who get outboxed an "entire fight and lose" atleast Alvarado was motivated enough and persistent enough to push himself for the TKO. It takes lots of mental fortitude to get outboxed most of the fight and stay focused and positive. It takes a certain skill.
mgrover
Maybe am being too harsh in my judgement of him since he still isn't anywhere near elite, maybe I expect boxers to once in a while be able to actually slip a jab and throw the short right, maybe I expect too much
bnoles4life
I like Nonito, even before he was super-inflated as this "world beater". That being said, Broner would beat that kid 'til he smelled like onions!!!! Like someone has mentioned earlier, Broner waaaaay to big for Nonito.

Alvarado vs. Rios...it will be fun while it lasts!!!
Cshel86
QUOTE (daprofessor @ May 24 2012, 05:23 PM) *
did u see donaire's last couple of fights? huh.gif

Yep. Im just sure he'll be moving more if this fight happens, because obviously he'll be the dwarf in this fight.

QUOTE (BoxingEinstein @ May 24 2012, 08:53 PM) *
atleast Alvarado was motivated enough and persistent enough to push himself for the TKO.

Didn't Prescott gas out in that fight? laugh.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.