Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Paul Williams Hurt in Motorcycle Accident...
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
Franchize
My heart n prayers go out to Paul man. He was very stubborn as a fighter n I think he let a lot of potential go out the window by sticking with his trainer n not upgrading. That said, he always brought action n hard work in every fight and he was honestly one of the more likeable guys in the sport in my opinion. Boxing, and potential matchups, have been taking hits left and right. More importantly, I really feel bad for him. Gotta admit, this one kinda hurts me. Paul just seemed like a great guy who loved to work. Get well soon Punisher!
flazi
damn paul. Get well soon and i hope you can walk again soon bro. tragic accident. damn. i think about giving up my bike every time i hear of someone else going down.
Cshel86
Wow...this has been a rough year for boxing and we're only halfway through it.

On a more sensitive note, I hope P. Willy has a successful recovery...to the point where he can compete again on a high level. Im not saying this because I want to see him fight again (selfish reasons), but because Im sure he wanted a few more fights before he hung 'em up.

These fuckin' motorcycles are taking people out of the game, I tell ya. Im sure Paul will be okay, usually, the worst case scenario after an accident/incident is reported, so hopefully we'll hear better news by midweek.
MaxPayne
Supremely unfortunate. I just wish people would stay away from motorcycles, real talk. My homey died a few years ago in a terrible accident. Get well soon Paul, and move on to the next phase in life.
Cheesey1
If Paul Williams or anyone from his team reads this, God bless and a speedy recovery. It's possible to overcome paralysing injuries. You're a warrior, so if anyone can, you can!
BigFightFan
I wish P-Will the best... Get well punisher
daprofessor
praying for him to have a speedy recovery.
mrchitown
I really pray that he makes it through this.
Boxingforme
Wow,,,, my God in heaven.... I've always been a fan yours Paul. This really touches me deeply. I just hope and pray for your speedy and complete recovery Brotha. As many has already has said,,, I too am sooo sick of those damn motor bikes, that I don't know what to do. We also can't forget how we lost Corales from motor cycle several years ago. Again Man,,, we are praying for you.
mitukczuk
I wouldn't consider him as likeable, but he sure is an exciting fighter and hard worker. I wish him nothing but the best and as professor said, speedy recovery. I was looking forward to his fight with Canelo. Stay strong, champ !
karmine20
this is such a bad day in boxing. Wish you the best P. williams. i really wanted to see you give it to alvarez. Get well. its just you and family from now on.
sduck
2012 is one messed up year
bnoles4life
Absolutely speechless. The build up to his last fight, the commentary mentioned that he invested his money "wisely", let's hope that more understatement, rather than exaggerated.
Cshel86
Im still a devastated by this incident. I mean damn, Williams didn't mean any harm to anybody, but unfortunately, riders are in twice the danger than drivers. Both of my parents ride bikes, but of course my dad rides as much as he can.

Unless you're riding a bike with high handlebars and a cup holder ( laugh.gif ), these sport bikes are MEANT to be accelerated at high speeds...and honestly, it's a bit tempting to try it. My mom doesn't like for my dad to go out and ride like a maniac, but to my knowledge (according his stories), he's twice the maniac behind the 'bars, but doesn't tell her how fast he rides.

I was discussing this story with him this morning, and I got upset and had to stop listening. He's been in an accident before, and was lucky enough to walk away with a hurt shoulder, and a totalled bike. Did I mention that the welfare of his bike was more important to him at the time of the accident? no2.gif

Hell, he and his rider crew even had an inexperienced rider (one of his employees), ride with them along "The Tail of the Dragon http://jeeps.thefuntimesguide.com/2008/03/..._the_dragon.php , which is a CRAZY road going up a mountain, that only experienced rider's should take. Long story short, the guy got in an accident, similar to the build-up of Paul's accident, and hurt his arm pretty bad (needed surgery). Oh yeah, did I mention that the welfare of his bike (which was damaged bad) was his only concern at the time of the incident?

Anyway, I got mad because he always tries to sell this image as if he's so cautious on his bike...yeah right. His response to the Williams situation was, "See, the only thing that keeps me riding, is wondering whether or not it was the car's fault, or if it was a rider's error." Of course I got a little pissed about it, because he was only trying to make excuses to continue riding in the manner that he does, smh. Even at older ages, some people still have that, "It cant/wont happen to me" state of mind...good luck.

Im just saying that motorcycles are like guns, it's not the bike that kills them (or others involved), it's the person that's riding the bike. Sometimes people in cars dont pay enough attention to riders as well, but now that I personally know some riders and how they ride, I feel that some of them just milk that excuse to take blame off of them.

With this said, Im NOT saying that ANY of this is Paul's fault., because I haven't read further into the incident. I was just elaborating on some current experiences as well as discussions in relation to this incident.
Franchize
What people don't realize is, theres really no such thing as a minor accident with a motorcycle. It's almost like walking outside with your organs on the outside of your body. You can be the most careful person in the world and still....

This is just a tragedy man. I really feel bad for this guy. Both him and Chico were very similar. Guys who didn't completely live up to their potential but fought with so much heart and determination.
flazi
cshel, don't fault your father. he knows what he is doing. he might come off as not caring but i garauntee you that when he is on that bike, safety and coming home to his wife is his main thought. I know cause that all i think about. safety. yes i do drive crazy at times and do dumb shit like wheelies around cars but i always assess the risk before. I have been to both keith code's programs, the superbike and the racing one, and took the beginner and advanced safety courses. I have been riding since my early 20's (36 now) and seen plenty of great guys get injured or die. the main reason though is rush, going too fast through a corner and not understanding how the brakes work. From what i read about Paul's accident, he either got impatient behind a slow driver in a corner and went wide into the other lane or he was going to fast thru a corner and saw the slow driver then went wide into the other lane. we don't know how fast he was going but i think had he been going slower or knew how to brake better he could have avoided trouble but only he knows.
the tail of the dragon? it is my dream to ride that tail within the next 2 years. i am looking into the shipping cost to send my bike there and back for a weekend ride. if your father can ride that a lot without incident then he is a legend.
Cshel86
QUOTE (flazi @ May 29 2012, 02:55 PM) *
cshel, don't fault your father. he knows what he is doing. he might come off as not caring but i garauntee you that when he is on that bike, safety and coming home to his wife is his main thought. I know cause that all i think about. safety. yes i do drive crazy at times and do dumb shit like wheelies around cars but i always assess the risk before. I have been to both keith code's programs, the superbike and the racing one, and took the beginner and advanced safety courses. I have been riding since my early 20's (36 now) and seen plenty of great guys get injured or die. the main reason though is rush, going too fast through a corner and not understanding how the brakes work. From what i read about Paul's accident, he either got impatient behind a slow driver in a corner and went wide into the other lane or he was going to fast thru a corner and saw the slow driver then went wide into the other lane. we don't know how fast he was going but i think had he been going slower or knew how to brake better he could have avoided trouble but only he knows.
the tail of the dragon? it is my dream to ride that tail within the next 2 years. i am looking into the shipping cost to send my bike there and back for a weekend ride. if your father can ride that a lot without incident then he is a legend.

Yeah I hear ya man. Pops is a different breed of people from what I've seen over the years. Im sure he's mastered the "blueprint to cheat death", along with some of his other theories. laugh.gif He's weird though, just riding in a car with him for years, he's vocal about his belief that "the other cars on the road are thinking the same thing", which is a lie, because everybody isn't all that cautious behind the wheel.

Hopefully he thinks differently when he rides. He hasn't been in an accident in years, so I think he's cool. I hear ya, when guys rush or overcorrect (with anything in life), it usually makes for a bad ending. I believe he's been on the Tale of the Dragon twice, but he may have been more than that. He's only been riding for 4 years I believe.

I surely hope Paul wasn't riding too fast, but from what I read, that appears to be the case. I'll just be praying for his speedy recovery in the meantime...
Chameleon
QUOTE (Cshel86 @ May 29 2012, 04:49 PM) *
Yeah I hear ya man. Pops is a different breed of people from what I've seen over the years. Im sure he's mastered the "blueprint to cheat death", along with some of his other theories. laugh.gif He's weird though, just riding in a car with him for years, he's vocal about his belief that "the other cars on the road are thinking the same thing", which is a lie, because everybody isn't all that cautious behind the wheel.

Hopefully he thinks differently when he rides. He hasn't been in an accident in years, so I think he's cool. I hear ya, when guys rush or overcorrect (with anything in life), it usually makes for a bad ending. I believe he's been on the Tale of the Dragon twice, but he may have been more than that. He's only been riding for 4 years I believe.

I surely hope Paul wasn't riding too fast, but from what I read, that appears to be the case. I'll just be praying for his speedy recovery in the meantime...

I read on wiki, he severed hi spinal cord- ouch.... He's retired from boxing now.... When God wants your attention, he gets it. Reports says he swerved from a car, and flew 60 feet in the air and severed his spinal cord when he landed on his back, he was traveling about 75mph according to reports... not the same as people who temp God by trying to cheat death... But wow, sometimes some ppl only reflect on their lives when a major crisis hits them. I pray Paul heals up....

Shocking accident indeed.
xxxxxx
This is very dissapointing news for the Boxing world & of course Paul Williams. Not only a very entertaining Boxer, but also a very respectful & determined human being. I feel real bad for him even though I don't know him personally. I was really looking forword to his upcoming PPV fight in September. I believe he had a chance on activity alone. The good news hear is that he IS still ALIVE. Obviously the reports say he will never walk again so his fighting career is over, but maybe he can still stay in Boxing after his recovery in some other way. I'm sure the Boxing powers will help in any way possible. We wish you the best Paul and are rooting for you. Kepp up the good attitude and know that the Boxing world is with you.
daprofessor
the fact that paul intends to ride and fight again speaks volumes about the dude. i feel the same way. i've been riding on and off for years. i've had 2 friends die riding. both were excellent riders who liked to push the limits. i have had 2 accidents myself. both times i pushed shit farther than i should have. i stopped riding for over 10yrs after my second accident. i recently started riding again a couple of years ago. i took a safety rider course to re-familiarize myself with riding. it was great. a big part of avoiding accidents is assessing the situation and knowing u and ur bikes capabilities. a good friend of mine who races and sold me my bike gave me the best advice anyone ever gave me. he said, "ride like u are invisible, because chances are...they do not see u." that is exactly what i do. u cannot afford to lose focus for a second on a bike. it's no different than getting in a ring. the second u let ur mind drift....bang! ur getting punched in the face. i know plenty of ppl who tell me horror stories about what they've witnessed....or someone that they know who died tragically....etc..etc. it's not that i do not hear the stories. i do. but i choose not to focus on them. like someone else said...i choose to focus on safety and arriving safely. i compare it to a driver in a race car....when he's coming around that corner blazing....and just fractions of an inch away from a wall that could kill him....he doesn't focus on the wall....he focuses on the finish line because that is where he wants to be. same holds true for riding. i've had more than my fair share of close calls....and they have all come from ppl who were not paying attention or were texting and driving. traffic here in l.a. is probably the worst in the country. it's no joke. but that isn't enough for me to stop what i enjoy so much. riding=living to me. there are very few things i enjoy more than riding. sex is tops....fighting is a close second....and riding is right behind that. i imagine that flying or skydiving has to feel even better than riding. i've jumped from bridges before. i'll let u know how the skydiving goes.
Cshel86
While most people dont agree with Floyd's logic, simply because they dont like him...I must admit that most of the things that he's said over the years is beginning to surface, while the rest of it being cemented before our eyes. Vivek Wallace made a great point on the show last night...

One thing Floyd always mentions is his health and making the money that he truly feels he deserves. People say that he made the health comment because he doesn't want to get hurt in the ring against Manny...we all know who those idiots are that believes that.

The most dangerous fight is what happens outside of the ring, which is life itself. That ranges from getting in a car and commuting on a daily basis, getting on a plane, motorcycle, etc. Not knowing what will happen to you next, indeed is the biggest fight of everybody's life.

With that said, Im sure Paul didn't think that the accident would happen, but it did. When I read "paralyzed", I immediately thought, "Damn I hope he's in good financial standings". I knew for a fact that he more than likely going to be out of commission with the lifestyle that made him wealthy.

We all read about boxers and their personal lives, some have bumps and bruises, but are able to financially handle it, while that doesn't apply to the rest. Now that I think about it, this would've Paul's first time headlining a PPV card, am I right? Who knows where he could've gone from that point on dntknw.gif

From what I was hearing, he has made some sound investments over the course of his career, and he appears to be in good spirits, so I cant knock it. With all of this in mind, not all fighters have big financial opportunities in the sport, so its best to milk it while it lasts.
daprofessor
QUOTE (Cshel86 @ May 31 2012, 09:03 AM) *
While most people dont agree with Floyd's logic, simply because they dont like him...I must admit that most of the things that he's said over the years is beginning to surface, while the rest of it being cemented before our eyes. Vivek Wallace made a great point on the show last night...

One thing Floyd always mentions is his health and making the money that he truly feels he deserves. People say that he made the health comment because he doesn't want to get hurt in the ring against Manny...we all know who those idiots are that believes that.

The most dangerous fight is what happens outside of the ring, which is life itself. That ranges from getting in a car and commuting on a daily basis, getting on a plane, motorcycle, etc. Not knowing what will happen to you next, indeed is the biggest fight of everybody's life.

With that said, Im sure Paul didn't think that the accident would happen, but it did. When I read "paralyzed", I immediately thought, "Damn I hope he's in good financial standings". I knew for a fact that he more than likely going to be out of commission with the lifestyle that made him wealthy.

We all read about boxers and their personal lives, some have bumps and bruises, but are able to financially handle it, while that doesn't apply to the rest. Now that I think about it, this would've Paul's first time headlining a PPV card, am I right? Who knows where he could've gone from that point on dntknw.gif

From what I was hearing, he has made some sound investments over the course of his career, and he appears to be in good spirits, so I cant knock it. With all of this in mind, not all fighters have big financial opportunities in the sport, so its best to milk it while it lasts.

totally agree with everything said here. in addition to that, it just proves that the approach al haymon has taken to ensure his fighters get paid their rightful share is the best thing for the boxers. paul is set and has made very sound investements. he has a solid team around him headed by al and george peterson. paul himself has said that he could walk away from the sport and be set for life. i just hate to see it happen this way. on a different note...i love his never say die attitude. i watched a video where they played audio from an interview he did with an atlanta news agency. he sounded very positive. in the end he said..."hey, if i can't walk again i'll just get on my boat and go fishing! hakuna matata!" i know he's going to be alright.
mgrover
theyve been testing a cure fir paralysis on mice recently and its been working well, maybe one day it will work on humans
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.