Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Weird signs in fights...
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
Cshel86
Alright guys, I dont want to seem weird, but surely I cant be the only one that notices this. Anybody notice things in a fighter before the first bell, that "doesn't seem right"? With that in mind, does that weird observation tend to make you think that the fight results will be take a wild turn?

As fight fans, we can make ALL of the predictions in the world, but seeing the fighters all the way up to the first bell can possibly make someone change their prediction. It doesn't always have to be the physical appearance, but it can also be the "otherwise overlooked" things that can happen before the first bell rings.

For example, I've read posts from guys noting how long Froch's hair was during the Bute fight, which gave folks an idea that he would probably come up short. I guess we can put that theory to rest after the results though. laugh.gif Seriously though, I noticed his hair as well.

Most would make a point that watching Floyd walk out first for the Cotto fight (though Miguel was the champion and thats traditional), gave them a last-minute thought that something would go wrong.

Your observation can range anywhere from the entrances, appearance, backstage stuff, etc. Thoughts?
daprofessor
funny u should mention this...i just had this conversation with my pops today. laugh.gif

he has a theory about hair styles....malignaggi with the braids in the hatton fight.....margarito with his braids....he calls those right all the time. laugh.gif

also he has a theory about puerto rican flag trunks. this one dates all the way back to gomez/sanchez. anytime they wear the puerto rican flag trunks....they lose. sad.gif
pimpfighterROQ
I noticed in the Pac vs Marquez III during Pac's entrance that he wasn't his usual easy going smile walking towards the ring. It's like he's pissed off at something or someone. which got him more frustrated by fighting a big Marquez that night LOL.

Also during the Chad Dawson vs Hopkins fight. When they faced off before the bell, Hopkins seemed unsure and somewhat nervous of Dawson. We all know how that went...

Lastly Pac vs Hatton. Hatton came out first even though he was the champion that night. He didn't have his usual Blue Moon entrance. What's even more interesting that after the knockout some HBO guy was telling Pacquiao to kneel down or something. Probably to pray LOL.
mitukczuk
Good topic, C' .

When I saw Margarito coming to the ring against Mosley (I had turned down the volume so I didn't hear Merchant saying all that illegal wraps stuff ) , I was almost 100% sure judging from his face he would lose that one. His eyes were telling the story.

Also, Prince Naz vs. Barrera. Although he was flamboyant as always, he didn't do his signature flip across the ropes and we all know the result.
Zaryu
Well, I have to say I didn't feel Bute reacted to the Nottingham crowd too well. Also, right after the first round I thought that if Bute didn't hurt Carl Froch with something he was doomed. But the thing that got to me first was his face expression and body language before actually beggining the fight. He actually seemed affected by the crowd.
Franchize
There were rumors of a big argument in the Pacquiao family before that Marquez 3 fight and you could see it on his face.

Magarito looked worried and guilty before he fought Shane. He was in constant dialogue while they were in the ring.

I thought Magarito coming out with the cornrows looked cool for some reason. He looked like a bad ass but ultimately, that bad ass got whooped.

The most distrurbing was when Arturo Gatti got startled by the pyrotechnics before his fight with Floyd Mayweather. I knew it was going to be all down hill from there lmaooooo laugh.gif (I literally love everything about that fight lol)
flazi
touch of sleep vs messi. TOS didn't look mentally there in the intros like he was out of his element or affected by something. he got ktfo within seconds of the first round.
Cheesey1
Yeah, agreed, sometimes there's a correlation.
Cshel86
Victor should've left the Michael Jackson music alone before the Maidana...

Blue trunks dont usually make for a great Manny performance....
sduck
I don't see it much in boxing, but I know in MMA, usually the person that's most tense and fired up before the fight loses it. Its what I noticed when I watch Strikeforce anyway, too much PPV in UFC.
Cshel86
Sduck, I agree man.

Man that look on Berto's face while making his way to the ring, had that "Man, I got forced into this fight" look on his face.

Manny took too long in the locker room for the recent Marquez fight...dude was waaay off schedule. Seemed like everything didn't click in place...
Slumpage
Yeah, this is something me an all my boys look for...

Last weekend, we ALL clocked the contrast in Bute and Froch pre-fight. That alone convinvced one pal to lay down 10 on a Froch KO at 6-1 on some betting website... Bute just looked a bit shook to be honest, whereas Froch couldn't have been more comfortable than if he was sat in a hot tub with that missus of his...

Naseem Hamed before the Barrerra fight was acting real strange too. Like he had no bravado, as opposed to his usual over flash self. When he didn't jump the top rope, I knew it was a wrap....

Ortiz before the Berto fight and Sugar Shane before Marg had the actual "eye of the tiger" look going on. That prompted everyone in the room to subsequently pick them to win. Also vs Shane, it was clear that Marg's head was not in the right place, we missed the handwrap scandal on the night due to folk chatting through the build up... When we found out, it made the contrast in their pre fight appearances and subsequent perfromances make a whole lot more sense. Shane was the most pissed i've ever seen him, in fact i don't think he was that pissed when his ex wife took his shit..

Oh and the Puerto Rico shorts thing is soo true... Whenever we see the flag on the shorts we always think the dude's gon lose, lol!
Cshel86
QUOTE (Slumpage @ May 30 2012, 10:35 AM) *
Naseem Hamed before the Barrerra fight was acting real strange too. Like he had no bravado, as opposed to his usual over flash self. When he didn't jump the top rope, I knew it was a wrap....

Yeah I felt the same way. That documentary for the Hamed/Barrera told the story as well. Dude took almost a half an hour to come out of the dressing room. That diva shit that he pulled with the gloves, pissed me off.
RayBigs
Glad you brought this up because I have never seen Cotto stare down any opponent like he did against Mayweather...both Cotto and Diaz his trainer were stoned faced in the center of the ring, looking at Floyd as if they were trying to intimidate him...
Cshel86
QUOTE (RayBigs @ Jun 1 2012, 10:11 PM) *
Glad you brought this up because I have never seen Cotto stare down any opponent like he did against Mayweather...both Cotto and Diaz his trainer were stoned faced in the center of the ring, looking at Floyd as if they were trying to intimidate him...

Good point! You could also go as far as Cotto getting pissed off at the staredown at the weigh-in...something we rarely see.
mgrover
How about MP bringing his kids to his fight for the first time
Franchize
Anytime a fighter tries to trade trash talking with Floyd, it's usually a wrap. How guys behave in Face/Off is how confident I feel when they fight Floyd. Victor was all over the place in that Face Off. It was like he was just happy to be there. As soon as Floyd laughed and said "I'm finna destroy this kid" I knew Victor was gonna go night night. When Shane Mosley got into that back and forth with Floyd about money in press conferences, I knew Floyd had got to him too. He got to Oscar as well.
Cshel86
QUOTE (mgrover @ Jun 6 2012, 06:10 AM) *

Wow, didn't notice that. Which fight was that?

QUOTE (Franchize @ Jun 6 2012, 09:01 AM) *
When Shane Mosley got into that back and forth with Floyd about money in press conferences, I knew Floyd had got to him too.

Ha! I remember those alimony comments by Floyd...too funny. That definitely was Shane's last rodeo, after that fight, he pretty much whored throughout the rest of his career. He, he whored for that fight, had a terrible outing against Mora, and sold his share of GBP to join TR and chase a Pacquiao fight.
daprofessor
QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Jun 1 2012, 09:19 PM) *
Good point! You could also go as far as Cotto getting pissed off at the staredown at the weigh-in...something we rarely see.

he was stone faced at the staredown too. i thought mayweather was the one who switched his demeanor in that one. first he was all smiles...then he realized cotto wasn't there to be his friend and the smile left. then mayweather went to his talking and cotto didn't budge. not as good as the staredowns back in the day...but it was a step in the right direction.
mgrover
QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Jun 6 2012, 02:13 PM) *
Wow, didn't notice that. Which fight was that?

Ha! I remember those alimony comments by Floyd...too funny. That definitely was Shane's last rodeo, after that fight, he pretty much whored throughout the rest of his career. He, he whored for that fight, had a terrible outing against Mora, and sold his share of GBP to join TR and chase a Pacquiao fight.

this one with Bradley, they'll be ringside for the first time ever
daprofessor
QUOTE (mgrover @ Jun 6 2012, 05:10 AM) *

u beat me to it!!!! laugh.gif
mgrover
QUOTE (daprofessor @ Jun 6 2012, 09:14 PM) *
u beat me to it!!!! laugh.gif

the problem is i have no idea how to take this, does he have them there to rival Bradley in a way? Cause hes constantly talking about his kids. Or does he have them there because he'd like to prove to them that he is the best. Or are they there as an excuse for later? "Oh he was distracted by his kids". I mean if anyone I cared about came to watch me fight, I'd always go that extra bit to put on a show for them, maybe this is that?
daprofessor
QUOTE (mgrover @ Jun 6 2012, 03:41 PM) *
the problem is i have no idea how to take this, does he have them there to rival Bradley in a way? Cause hes constantly talking about his kids. Or does he have them there because he'd like to prove to them that he is the best. Or are they there as an excuse for later? "Oh he was distracted by his kids". I mean if anyone I cared about came to watch me fight, I'd always go that extra bit to put on a show for them, maybe this is that?

it works differently for everyone. i know when i was fighting....having family there was a distraction to me. i preferred to be alone. who knows how this works for pac? i guess we'll find out saturday.
Cshel86
QUOTE (mgrover @ Jun 6 2012, 04:00 PM) *
this one with Bradley, they'll be ringside for the first time ever

Cool!
Cshel86
Uhhh...did Manny JUST weigh-in ON the weight limit? Haven't seen that in a LOOONG time...if ever.
mgrover
QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Jun 8 2012, 11:21 PM) *
Uhhh...did Manny JUST weigh-in ON the weight limit? Haven't seen that in a LOOONG time...if ever.

three things i can think why:

1. getting lazy in training camp
2. maybe packing up on more fire power?
3. when Marquez weighed more than pacman, ariza said it was to hydrate the fighter for a longer fight if needed, maybe they expect this to go to the cards?
Cshel86
QUOTE (mgrover @ Jun 8 2012, 07:34 PM) *
three things i can think why:

1. getting lazy in training camp
2. maybe packing up on more fire power?
3. when Marquez weighed more than pacman, ariza said it was to hydrate the fighter for a longer fight if needed, maybe they expect this to go to the cards?

Thanks for the insight MG! I was just throwing that out there, because it was a bit odd to me. I've never seen Manny hit the official or contracted weight limit. You may be right about the 3 things listed, but who knows.

What was funny, is that I saw Manny admiring Tim's physique! Class act laugh.gif Bradley just looks like an action figure at weigh-ins and on fight night, which is a good thing to rehydrate and damn near have the body that you had at the weigh-in 30 hours prior to the fight.
wolterb
as mike jones walked towards the ring last night, he kept shaking his head back and forth like he was upset by something.

i thought he might be reacting to bailey's rinky-dink hatchet getup. maybe he knew he was gonna get knocked the fuck out
Cshel86
QUOTE (wolterb @ Jun 10 2012, 08:11 PM) *
as mike jones walked towards the ring last night, he kept shaking his head back and forth like he was upset by something.

i thought he might be reacting to bailey's rinky-dink hatchet getup. maybe he knew he was gonna get knocked the fuck out

Had Mike Jones FINALLY had a clean haircut on fight night, I would've associated it with his loss...but he didn't leave any room for speculation. Oh well...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.