Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Shane Mosley vs Roberto Duran at 135lbs
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
leonthegee
I picked Duran by decision. I think Durans defensive ability would give him the edge. Any thoughts?
daprofessor
at 135 shane was undefeated. duran beat every man he ever faced at 135 but lost to estaban dejesus who was a slick boxer that had duran down with a left hook. shanes best shot was the left hook. this bout would be one for the ages. shanes speed and power against durans heavy hands and extremely underrated skills. shane had to move up 2 weight classes before i ever saw him hurt. i think shanes lack of a real jab and his defensive holes would be the difference in this match. duran by close decision in a war that would be filled with back and forth action that would make this a fight of the century type of battle.
mgrover
What I always wondered if Shane was on performance enhancing drugs at 135lb?
sduck
It'd be a war indeed. I think Duran would pull off the decision victory.
hitman
awesome fight. shane has never been a boxer. they woulda went toe-to-toe. i can't see any lightweight outfighting duran. mosley is tough enough to go the distance though.
hitman
sorry double post
Cshel86
I'd give this to Mosley. Im only saying this because Shane was quick enough to pull the trigger back then. Duran would surely make him hesitant to engage, but when all else fails, he would be able to pull the trigger when necessary.

Shane's speed back then would've probably been too much for Duran, but Duran's power was too much for anybody. Again, Im making this prediction based on the fact that Shane was able to pull the trigger, and fast.

I could somewhat compare Duran (his power, movement, and devastation factor) to Manny (if there's any remote comparison), and an old Mosley was able to somewhat neutralize that.

leonthegee
This fight would be on the same level of a De La Hoya/Mayweather, Mayweather/Pacquiao, Hearns/Leonard, and Hearns/Hagler. That kind of anticipaction and hype.
bnoles4life
QUOTE (Cshel86 @ May 29 2012, 07:39 PM) *
I'd give this to Mosley. Im only saying this because Shane was quick enough to pull the trigger back then. Duran would surely make him hesitant to engage, but when all else fails, he would be able to pull the trigger when necessary.

Shane's speed back then would've probably been too much for Duran, but Duran's power was too much for anybody. Again, Im making this prediction based on the fact that Shane was able to pull the trigger, and fast.

I could somewhat compare Duran (his power, movement, and devastation factor) to Manny (if there's any remote comparison), and an old Mosley was able to somewhat neutralize that.

I agree. I think people forget the difference b/t Shane the LW and Shane at WW & (especially) Super WW. Shane's hand speed at LW was amazing and not to mention his reflexes were much better at the lighter weight. While weight had nothing to do w/ Shane's ring IQ (let's face it, he's always been a "C" student in this regard), but I don't think he needed that w/ Duran. Duran had heavy hands, but Shane didn't pack pillows either.

I like Shane in this fight, but wouldn't be surprised if Duran pulled it out.
daprofessor
mosley was fast as shit at lightweight....and he was a devastating puncher no doubt. his first 20 something fights were against sacrificial lambs. when he stepped up in comp...he started going the distance. he's never had good defense. he's never had a good jab. he's always been able to take a helluva punch. above 135...his power was non-existant. i think duran takes this one by decision. mosley will have his moments though.
bnoles4life
QUOTE (daprofessor @ May 30 2012, 12:59 PM) *
mosley was fast as shit at lightweight....and he was a devastating puncher no doubt. his first 20 something fights were against sacrificial lambs. when he stepped up in comp...he started going the distance. he's never had good defense. he's never had a good jab. he's always been able to take a helluva punch. above 135...his power was non-existant. i think duran takes this one by decision. mosley will have his moments though.

I can dig that, Prof. I wouldn't be surprised either way.
hitman
you saying mosley had no power above 135? i disagree with that completely. shane was flattening guys at 147 prior to running into vernon forrest. he hurt winky and ko'd vargas at 54. demolished margarito and hurt floyd bad. mosley can crack to this day.
Cshel86
QUOTE (hitman @ May 30 2012, 07:32 PM) *
mosley can crack to this day.

Can we agree on a cut-off date for "this day"?
daprofessor
QUOTE (hitman @ May 30 2012, 07:32 PM) *
you saying mosley had no power above 135? i disagree with that completely. shane was flattening guys at 147 prior to running into vernon forrest. he hurt winky and ko'd vargas at 54. demolished margarito and hurt floyd bad. mosley can crack to this day.

is that u shane jr? huh.gif

laugh.gif j/k.

but not close to what he had at 135. also, not close to the power duran brought up with him to 160. i wasn't impressed with his stoppage of vargas (who had been extremely softed up by trinidad and oscar) or by his stoppage over mayorga (who had also been softed by tito/dlh) and his stoppage over margarito (i called that btw...he was softened up by cotto in their first match) that power boxing shit didn't work. shane loaded up on most of his punches above 135 and that took fractions of a second off the delivery so they weren't as effective as they were at 135. duran on the other hand was just a heavy handed fighter.
daprofessor
QUOTE (Cshel86 @ May 30 2012, 08:22 PM) *
Can we agree on a cut-off date for "this day"?

laugh.gif
BoxingEinstein

Mosley wins this. Speed would be the key against a heavy handed fighter like Duran who got KO'd by punchers who hit bout as hard as Mosley. In his prime Mosley had speed, hand speed, and KO power. I just wished he didn't jump up 2 weights. To this day I think there was lots of interesting match ups at 140.
bnoles4life
QUOTE (hitman @ May 30 2012, 06:32 PM) *

Uuuuh, didn't Winky give him a couple of free shots, then continued to walk him down?
hitman
QUOTE (bnoles4life @ May 31 2012, 06:34 PM) *
Uuuuh, didn't Winky give him a couple of free shots, then continued to walk him down?

yeah he took one right to the jaw and got hurt and held on. he didn't give him no more free shots after that.
hitman
QUOTE (daprofessor @ May 31 2012, 01:55 PM) *
is that u shane jr? huh.gif

laugh.gif j/k.

but not close to what he had at 135. also, not close to the power duran brought up with him to 160. i wasn't impressed with his stoppage of vargas (who had been extremely softed up by trinidad and oscar) or by his stoppage over mayorga (who had also been softed by tito/dlh) and his stoppage over margarito (i called that btw...he was softened up by cotto in their first match) that power boxing shit didn't work. shane loaded up on most of his punches above 135 and that took fractions of a second off the delivery so they weren't as effective as they were at 135. duran on the other hand was just a heavy handed fighter.

none of that impressed you but knocking down barkley and stopping a 12-0 davey moore on his feet did? cause other than that duran didn't do much. he wasn't knocking guys out at 147 and up.
hitman
QUOTE (BoxingEinstein @ May 31 2012, 06:16 PM) *
Mosley wins this. Speed would be the key against a heavy handed fighter like Duran who got KO'd by punchers who hit bout as hard as Mosley. In his prime Mosley had speed, hand speed, and KO power. I just wished he didn't jump up 2 weights. To this day I think there was lots of interesting match ups at 140.

duran was ko'd ONCE and that was by thomas hearns. mosley don't hit like that.
BugattiBrig
I pick Mosley to win. his speed was scary as a lightweight
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.