Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Roach: If Pacquiao Looks Bad, I'll Tell Him to Retire
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
Cshel86
http://www.boxingscene.com/roach-if-pacqui...m-retire--53601
*credits to BoxingScene

Though I disagree with some things that Roach says, more often than not, I tend to lean more towards his honesty in certain situations. It seems as if Team Pacquiao is already playing damage control in the event that Manny looks bad in this fight, or possibly loses.

With that in mind, Im also inclined to believe that this is simply promotion on Roach's part to gain interest in the fight. What do you guys think? Bluffing? Pre-meditated excuses?
Hotsauce
good promotion
MaxPayne
I think the key question here is, what constitutes "looking bad" in this fight ?

We live in an era where jumping around the ring like you're a 7 year old girl playing hopscotch is seen as "incredible footwork", and throwing dozens of punches with a sub 10% connect rate is seen as "effective aggression".

I believe that even if Bradley is able to neutralize Pacquiao, Pacman's aggression and Bob Arum's "gifts" to the judges will win him a decision....

...then again, would it perhaps be better for Arum to have Bradley beat Pacman, then begin a new trilogy ?

Bradley beating Pacquiao would catapult him into becoming a "mini-Floyd" in terms of marketability...I could see the next 2 fights easily doing in excess of 1.5 MM buys each time.

Just rambling though at this point.

BoxingStill#1
I am seriously starting to seriously doubt Pacman... only because he is doubting himself and so is everyone around him...
BoxingStill#1
Seriously ...

Lol
BoxingStill#1
QUOTE (MaxPayne @ Jun 4 2012, 01:25 PM) *
I think the key question here is, what constitutes "looking bad" in this fight ?

We live in an era where jumping around the ring like you're a 7 year old girl playing hopscotch is seen as "incredible footwork", and throwing dozens of punches with a sub 10% connect rate is seen as "effective aggression".

I believe that even if Bradley is able to neutralize Pacquiao, Pacman's aggression and Bob Arum's "gifts" to the judges will win him a decision....

...then again, would it perhaps be better for Arum to have Bradley beat Pacman, then begin a new trilogy ?

Bradley beating Pacquiao would catapult him into becoming a "mini-Floyd" in terms of marketability...I could see the next 2 fights easily doing in excess of 1.5 MM buys each time.

Good point..

I can assure you, Pac isnt going to look 'good' against Bradley.... he is gonna be one of the fighters who even if you beat him on the cards it wont be a easy road to get there. I see scrap written all over this and honestly I I feel Pac is going to lose that type fight..

Pac has his hands full for sure, and the only way I can see him winning is to break Bradley's will EARLY....lightning fast hard combinations and moving in and out will cause Bradley heat seeking and looking for Pac and running into hard left hands in the process...

Breaking Bradley's will be the key to winning this fight. The second he waits on Tim and decides to stand and mix it up he is going to be walked and wore down with body work and constant work...

SPEED SPEED SPEED is what is going to beat Bradley....even then he is gonna LOOK BAD...
Jhill47
If Manny looks bad their going to say he got leg cramps walking to the ring.
daprofessor
it's like i said....pac/may is never going to happen. u can thank bradley for that. pac's only chance is to catch tim early. if tim is boxing in the first five...look for him to turn the aggression on by 6 and be backing pac up in the second half. a stoppage is very likely. i like pac...he's a good guy....but arum is cashing him out here. all the signs are there. if roach seriously thought pac was going to stop bradley he wouldn't even entertain this kind of question or talk. the writing is on the wall.
neophyte7
QUOTE (daprofessor @ Jun 4 2012, 04:37 PM) *
it's like i said....pac/may is never going to happen. u can thank bradley for that. pac's only chance is to catch tim early. if tim is boxing in the first five...look for him to turn the aggression on by 6 and be backing pac up in the second half. a stoppage is very likely. i like pac...he's a good guy....but arum is cashing him out here. all the signs are there. if roach seriously thought pac was going to stop bradley he wouldn't even entertain this kind of question or talk. the writing is on the wall.

STOPPAGE VERY LIKELY??? bradley has a poor KO percentage and he is going up in weight??? Stoppage very unlikely!!!
daprofessor
QUOTE (neophyte7 @ Jun 4 2012, 03:55 PM) *
STOPPAGE VERY LIKELY??? bradley has a poor KO percentage and he is going up in weight??? Stoppage very unlikely!!!

it has nothing to do with poor ko percentage or weight. (bradley fought at 152 in the amateurs) it has everything to do with nullifying what pac does....turning the tables on him....and forcing him to fight in a way that he is very unaccustomed/uncomfortable to fighting. pac is not a defensive fighter. he does not fight well going backwards. look back at the few times pac has been backed into the ropes and look at the damage he sustained. bradley is a guy who knows how to take things away and force a fighter to the ropes. like i said before....when bradley starts to back pac up....i will not be surprised if he stops him.
BoxingStill#1
Not to mention he cringes at body work.. sume Tim's bread and butter..

I honestly cant call this one though guys.. Im lucky to be a fight fan come Saturday..

BoxingStill#1
QUOTE (daprofessor @ Jun 4 2012, 04:37 PM) *

IF you are right about Arum cashing in on Pac (which Im not confirming or denying I agree lol).. then would be obvious he's creating a new cash cow...

More than likely then (should bradley win) Arum wouldnt have any problem giving Pac to Floyed...

But why would he want him?..the demand would naturally be for Bradley to fight Floyed... but there is no way in hell Arum would remotely let that happen.. especially when there's fights like Marquez Bradley that could be made in house..
bnoles4life
QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Jun 4 2012, 11:14 AM) *
[ Im also inclined to believe that this is simply promotion on Roach's part to gain interest in the fight.

He's definitely been reading the Cliff Notes to "Promotion for Dummies: The Arum chronicles"
Cshel86
QUOTE (bnoles4life @ Jun 4 2012, 09:01 PM) *
He's definitely been reading the Cliff Notes to "Promotion for Dummies: The Arum chronicles"

Ha! promotion is promotion though, no matter how dumb we think it is. Freddie made me open a thread and discuss his retarded statements, so he got me. laugh.gif
mrchitown
Roach likes to play those mind games so who knows? He's what I call a 50/50 guy, you never really know with him. Roach is honest at times and very blunt and in others, it's like you can just tell he doesn't even believe wtf he just said. For my money I'd say he's trying to boost the profile of the fight. Regardless of what happens Saturday night as far as PPV numbers, I think we'll see a good night of boxing
Cshel86
Manny's looked bad in his last two fights, so Im wondering why Freddie would say such a thing. On the other hand, when they say that Manny is having his "best camp ever", he tends to look sub par (Mosley and Marquez fight). It's weird, but Im just ready for Saturday.
daprofessor
QUOTE (BoxingStill#1 @ Jun 4 2012, 07:56 PM) *
IF you are right about Arum cashing in on Pac (which Im not confirming or denying I agree lol).. then would be obvious he's creating a new cash cow...

More than likely then (should bradley win) Arum wouldnt have any problem giving Pac to Floyed...

But why would he want him?..the demand would naturally be for Bradley to fight Floyed... but there is no way in hell Arum would remotely let that happen.. especially when there's fights like Marquez Bradley that could be made in house..

welcome to my world. laugh.gif i wish my brain didn't work like this. sad.gif

Franchize
QUOTE (MaxPayne @ Jun 4 2012, 01:25 PM) *

LMAOOOOOOOO laugh.gif Funniest post of the day. Everytime I hear Lampley talk about Manny's footwork (and you know he will) I'm going to think of this post!
BoxingStill#1
QUOTE (daprofessor @ Jun 5 2012, 01:48 PM) *
welcome to my world. laugh.gif i wish my brain didn't work like this. sad.gif

Lmao.. I often play prosecution, defense, judge, and jury in my own head .. lol
daprofessor
QUOTE (BoxingStill#1 @ Jun 5 2012, 05:33 PM) *
Lmao.. I often play prosecution, defense, judge, and jury in my own head .. lol

laugh.gif
mgrover
and now Ariza is back in Mannys corner...
Cshel86
Drama, drama, drama...

Old man Freddie is mad because his "father figure" role is in jeopardy. no2.gif
BoxingStill#1
QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Jun 5 2012, 09:33 PM) *
Drama, drama, drama...

Old man Freddie is mad because his "father figure" role is in jeopardy. no2.gif

Lmao...

Yo... do you think its completely coincidence that Khan (a Roach fighter) fired Alex? Hhmmmmmm
Cshel86
QUOTE (BoxingStill#1 @ Jun 6 2012, 06:09 AM) *
Yo... do you think its completely coincidence that Khan (a Roach fighter) fired Alex? Hhmmmmmm

Yep! Despite the responses that they give the media when asked about it, we all know what's going on. Freddie has his little panties in a bunch, what's new? Sometimes he's like that for good reasons, other times, it's annoying as hell. This is one of those times...

Khan should've dropped Freddie and picked a new trainer, but we all know he's a backwards-ass anyway, so I didn't expect anything different. Besides, he's dropped Alex before, how hard could it have been this time around?

Okay, here's another "besides"...besides, Khan HAD to drop somebody after that last fight that he lost. He did it the first time he was knocked into next week. Most fighters do this shit when they lose a fight, when it's really their fault. Though Lamont tested positive, I dont think those PEDs had ANYTHING to do with his performance that night.

He fights like that ALL THE TIME. He had moments when he looked tired in the fight. He took Khan's punches all night, who cant? Khan just looked sub par, period. If Manny happens to come up short this weekend, then we ALL know that Ariza will get his walking papers. Im looking for Manny to be rejuvenated this weekend though...
Franchize
QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Jun 6 2012, 10:12 AM) *
Khan should've dropped Freddie and picked a new trainer, but we all know he's a backwards-ass anyway, so I didn't expect anything different. Besides, he's dropped Alex before, how hard could it have been this time around?

I've said it once and I'll say it again. The perfect trainer for Khan would be Mayweather...Jeff Mayweather! He's a subdued personality. He teaches quality defense but doesn't try to completely you transform right away like say Floyd Sr. James Harvy wouldn't be bad either.
bnoles4life
QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Jun 6 2012, 09:12 AM) *
Im looking for Manny to be rejuvenated this weekend though...

I tend to lean that way, too. However, the fact that Manny's kids will be ringside for the FIRST time in his career gives me pause. This much like most fighters fighting in front of the hometown crowd: it often makes fighters fight outta character. This will be interesting. Oh yeah, guess where I'm watching it???? LOL!!!
Hotsauce
QUOTE (bnoles4life @ Jun 6 2012, 05:22 PM) *
I tend to lean that way, too. However, the fact that Manny's kids will be ringside for the FIRST time in his career gives me pause. This much like most fighters fighting in front of the hometown crowd: it often makes fighters fight outta character. This will be interesting. Oh yeah, guess where I'm watching it???? LOL!!!

where did you hear that?
bnoles4life
QUOTE (Hotsauce @ Jun 6 2012, 06:28 PM) *
where did you hear that?

there-----> http://www.fighthype.com/news/article12579.html
Cshel86
QUOTE (bnoles4life @ Jun 6 2012, 06:22 PM) *

I agree. The added pressure can either help or hurt them when fighting in front of their hometown crowd/family/kids.

Oh yeah, Im sure you'll be at Sea Hag Central or The Hag Shack or whatever you want to call it. laugh.gif
bnoles4life
QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Jun 6 2012, 08:33 PM) *
I agree. The added pressure can either help or hurt them when fighting in front of their hometown crowd/family/kids.

Oh yeah, Im sure you'll be at Sea Hag Central or The Hag Shack or whatever you want to call it. laugh.gif

BINGO!!!!!
Hotsauce
QUOTE (bnoles4life @ Jun 6 2012, 06:46 PM) *

thanks
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.