Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Soooo...Roy Jones...
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
mitukczuk
Jones has a scheduled fight (waiting for approval) against 39/1 Dawid Kostecki from Poland. This guy according to boxrec fought only once outside of Europe and only a few times (4 fights) outside of Poland. I have never heard of the guy - naturally.

I think this might be the end of Jones's career if he loses, although his ego will probably tell him otherwise.

Anyways, did anyone even notice this ? I feel so bad for Roy. Once a P4P, now...nobody.
haqtiq
Ah, I feel you somewhat. I won't sit here as a fan of Roy Jones's work and call him a nobody. He's a HOF, and multiple division champion. That said, of course he's not at the peak of his game anymore, for all we know Roy may have money problems, or he just loves the game to much to let it go even though he knows better.

Again, I was once, and still am a fan of the man we know as Roy "Captain Hook" Jones Jr, but yes there does come a time to hang em up.
mitukczuk
By saying nobody I am not trying to take anything away from him. It's just the general feeling about him that I have. His accomplishments are being tainted by the bad campaign hes got nowadays.
neophyte7
Jones career has been over since Tarver cracked his Jaw after asking him before the world, if he had any excuses... LOL been done...
bnoles4life
QUOTE (neophyte7 @ Jun 4 2012, 03:59 PM) *
Jones career has been over since Tarver cracked his Jaw after asking him before the world, if he had any excuses... LOL been done...

Cracked his jaw with THE punch neither saw (Roy, obviously b/c he got knocked dayum near into my living room and Tarver b/c he had his eyes closed when he threw it....kinda like Sergio not looking when he sent P Will into the upcoming week).
Cshel86
Too bad boxers cant get fired. If they did, they can always go and fight in Mexico! laugh.gif
MaxPayne
It's a terrible thing really...must need money badly for him to go to fucking Poland to fight some dude we've never heard of.
mrchitown
Win or lose, he should retire anyway. I think if he keeps fighting he's going to end up a tomato can. Who knows why he still fights but hopefully he follows the lead of Wright and Mosley and hangs'em up
mitukczuk
He is really strange, this Roy Jones. When people ask him, why he keeps fighting, he always says it's all about God and that nobody else can tell him, when to stop.
That's terrible if you think about it.

There are however many more possibilities. Roy likes his fans a lot, so he may be fighting because of them - I am not sure though, how many of them is left and how many from this 'rest' will actually come to Poland apart from Coach Merk. I don't think the money is the reason here as he must be getting like 5k for these fights + he has not been throwing away the money for cars and mansions.

I hope that seeing Wright and Mosley retire gets him thinking, but I really think his ego won't allow him to do that...sad story, truly a saaaad story.
xxxxxx
Jones has said that his final goal is to win a cruiserweight World Ttitle and that would be his final feat. He could do that in 2-3 fights and Finally call it a career and become more involved as a Boxing announcer which he is very good at in my opinion.
BoxingStill#1
QUOTE (mitukczuk @ Jun 4 2012, 03:50 PM) *
Jones has a scheduled fight (waiting for approval) against 39/1 Dawid Kostecki from Poland. This guy according to boxrec fought only once outside of Europe and only a few times (4 fights) outside of Poland. I have never heard of the guy - naturally.

I think this might be the end of Jones's career if he loses, although his ego will probably tell him otherwise.

Anyways, did anyone even notice this ? I feel so bad for Roy. Once a P4P, now...nobody.

I was gonna bypass this thread because I knew it was probly an announced fight for Roy. At this stage I dont ever want to see him put his health in jepordy....but I weather I read it or not it was gonna happen..lol..

Im kinda taken that you called him a nobody?..... when is the last time you went to youtube and checked out a prime Roy? ...

After you take that trip come on back and see if you wanna edit your post..

Other than that,... I agree wit ya
mitukczuk
QUOTE (BoxingStill#1 @ Jun 5 2012, 05:16 AM) *
I was gonna bypass this thread because I knew it was probly an announced fight for Roy. At this stage I dont ever want to see him put his health in jepordy....but I weather I read it or not it was gonna happen..lol..

Im kinda taken that you called him a nobody?..... when is the last time you went to youtube and checked out a prime Roy? ...

After you take that trip come on back and see if you wanna edit your post..

Other than that,... I agree wit ya

Have you read my other posts here, my man ? I didn't mean it as nobody NOBODY. His accomplishments and legacy is just tainted by his recent career lows. Make no mistake, I saw him win that HW title and I was really taken aback. Loved his prime, while it lasted and I watched tens of his fights and highlights. So.. no reason for me to change my post.

I meant it as in...nobody cares anymore, nobody follows his career, nobody knows his opponents...that kind of way, you know what I mean ?
Cshel86
QUOTE (MaxPayne @ Jun 5 2012, 12:00 AM) *
must need money badly for him to go to fucking Poland to fight some dude we've never heard of.

QUOTE (mitukczuk @ Jun 5 2012, 04:06 AM) *
I don't think the money is the reason here as he must be getting like 5k for these fights + he has not been throwing away the money for cars and mansions.

Both of these posts tie into my response about money. More than likely, he does need the money. Im not sure if you guys have seen him on MTV Cribs, but he has a nice house, and more than likely, he has more than one property. Now, his spot wasn't super luxurious, but it was a nice mansion, so to speak.

Im sure he has cars, and family members that he still takes care of (outside of his wife and children), and I heard it in his voice and statements when he called the Broner/Perez fight. People think that just because guys have houses and cars that are paid off, that that's the end of the story.

Sadly, this isn't the case. This is how it goes...

1. Mansions - luxury tax and high property taxes
2. High end cars - maintenance, maintenance, maintenance...insurance, insurance, insurance
3. Wife - nuff said
4. Baby mama - better stay on her good side, or she'll be asking for $65k a month in child support (ask Floyd)
5. Children - costs money, but it's costs money at your discretion...when they're in your possession laugh.gif
6. Children - better hope that you're in situation #5, if not, then bend over....here comes CHILD SUPPORT
7. Greedy/needy family members who suddenly become financially incapable of taking care of themselves when you make big money - nuff said
8. Investments - Hmmm...that DOES cost money as well
9. Taxes - n explanation needed...especially when you're in the tax bracket that these guys are in.
10. Utilities - go ahead and buy that multi million dollar mansion buddy...get ready for those high as gas, power, and water bills. These 3 bills for me are about $250 (without a wife and kids), and worse case scenario, it gets to about $400. I have a 3 bedroom house, now imagine if I had a 10 bedroom house with acres on top of acres. Hmmm...

Anybody still wondering why Roy is still fighting? Im sure can make more money off of these middle school gym fights, than commentating, though commentating is a steady check. The word to sum up this post....MAINTENANCE!
BoxingStill#1
QUOTE (mitukczuk @ Jun 5 2012, 08:01 AM) *
Have you read my other posts here, my man ? I didn't mean it as nobody NOBODY. His accomplishments and legacy is just tainted by his recent career lows. Make no mistake, I saw him win that HW title and I was really taken aback. Loved his prime, while it lasted and I watched tens of his fights and highlights. So.. no reason for me to change my post.

I meant it as in...nobody cares anymore, nobody follows his career, nobody knows his opponents...that kind of way, you know what I mean ?

Gotcha.. as in not relevant anymore?.. i can see that now..

In his prime, its absolutely hard to imagine anyone who could beat him.. much like Tyson..

Him still fighting is sad though.. but its one of those things.. what a guy to do?... he is a fighter..and fighters fight
BoxingStill#1
QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Jun 5 2012, 09:51 AM) *
Both of these posts tie into my response about money. More than likely, he does need the money. Im not sure if you guys have seen him on MTV Cribs, but he has a nice house, and more than likely, he has more than one property. Now, his spot wasn't super luxurious, but it was a nice mansion, so to speak.

Im sure he has cars, and family members that he still takes care of (outside of his wife and children), and I heard it in his voice and statements when he called the Broner/Perez fight. People think that just because guys have houses and cars that are paid off, that that's the end of the story.

2. High end cars - maintenance, maintenance, maintenance...insurance, insurance, insurance
3. Wife - nuff said
4. Baby mama - better stay on her good side, or she'll be asking for $65k a month in child support (ask Floyd)
5. Children - costs money, but it's costs money at your discretion...when they're in your possession laugh.gif
6. Children - better hope that you're in situation #5, if not, then bend over....here comes CHILD SUPPORT
7. Greedy/needy family members who suddenly become financially incapable of taking care of themselves when you make big money - nuff said
9. Taxes - n explanation needed...especially when you're in the tax bracket that these guys are in.
10. Utilities - go ahead and buy that multi million dollar mansion buddy...get ready for those high as gas, power, and water bills. These 3 bills for me are about $250 (without a wife and kids), and worse case scenario, it gets to about $400. I have a 3 bedroom house, now imagine if I had a 10 bedroom house with acres on top of acres. Hmmm...

Anybody still wondering why Roy is still fighting? Im sure can make more money off of these middle school gym fights, than commentating, though commentating is a steady check. The word to sum up this post....MAINTENANCE!

#6.... story of my life...lls

Welp.. u just named 10 solid reasons why he still fights.. maybe HBO commentary mula aint that great?
Franchize
I don't blame Roy. I blame his friends and family. I'm sorry. I don't care how down on your luck you are. I'm not letting you risk your life if I care about you. I don't care if we both have to hustle to help you out. I'm not going to risk losing you just so you can pay your bills. Damn shame man. How many times do we have to see our legends go out the wrong way in order to make it right.
mitukczuk
QUOTE (BoxingStill#1 @ Jun 5 2012, 03:17 PM) *
Gotcha.. as in not relevant anymore?.. i can see that now..

In his prime, its absolutely hard to imagine anyone who could beat him.. much like Tyson..

Him still fighting is sad though.. but its one of those things.. what a guy to do?... he is a fighter..and fighters fight

Exactly..not relevant.

One thing I miss in Roy's prime resumé is him, fighting against a big pressure fighter. Not saying he would lose I just don't see anyone who did really test him on the ropes. I think Roy had a really good inside game and could fight off of the ropes...however...I miss something like Money May vs. Jesus Chavez kind of deal.

Anyways, I agree with Franchize. Family should step in...but again...Roy has a pretty big ego, which even he sadly can't tame under his control.
bnoles4life
QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Jun 5 2012, 08:51 AM) *

3. Wife - nuff said

While it likely isn't accurate to the penny, but this website suggests it's something OTHER than cash:

http://www.celebritynetworth.com/richest-a...s-jr-net-worth/

On the flipside, the following supports your theory:

http://www.badlefthook.com/2011/4/8/209800...austin-stiverne
mitukczuk
QUOTE (bnoles4life @ Jun 5 2012, 05:59 PM) *
While it likely isn't accurate to the penny, but this website suggests it's something OTHER than cash:

http://www.celebritynetworth.com/richest-a...s-jr-net-worth/

On the flipside, the following supports your theory:

http://www.badlefthook.com/2011/4/8/209800...austin-stiverne

They should get their facts straight on celebritynetworth.com first though. - 'at one point held seven light middleweight titles at the same time.'
It can be only a typo but it tells me something about the credibility biggrin.gif
Cshel86
QUOTE (BoxingStill#1 @ Jun 5 2012, 04:21 PM) *
#6.... story of my life...lls

Welp.. u just named 10 solid reasons why he still fights.. maybe HBO commentary mula aint that great?

I hate it for guys and that child support mess, trust me, I've seen it get bad. I dont believe HBO commentary pays that muc, because most of those guys have full time jobs somewhere else.

I know Lederman has his hands in medicine, but shit, those guys there probably had ringside seats to David vs Goliath, so its possible that they've retired at least twice in whatever field.

*Noles, thanks for that update. It says he's worth $45M? That's it? Im not sure about his fight purses throughout the years...was he one of those $10M fighters like OLDH, FMJ, and MP? I know he and Calsplappy had a 50/50 split since they were buddies...what was the purse for that fight?
Slumpage
From when dude is taking pretty much any fight offer going, I think it's safe to say he might be having a cash flow problem. Remember the deal he signed for the B-Hop fight? He actually ended up making nothing... I think. rolleyes_anim.gif
Thickback
Roy should have retired after he fought Ruiz for the HW title. Coming back down in weight after that was his demise. He used to say himself that he wanted to retire with his head clear. Now he is just ruining a once brilliant career. Still my favorite fighter ever..Pensacola bitches!!!!
Cshel86
He should've hung 'em up after the Calzaghe fight, honestly. Earlier that year, he had an impressive win over a bloated Trinidad that came out of retirement, and came the Calzaghe fight, where he once again reminded us that he could no longer pull the trigger.

PS: It sucks to be famous and have money (whichever comes first), because your every little flaw is put out there. I had no idea that he was fighting the IRS as well. Hell, I owe the IRS about $1k, but guess what, Im not rich and famous, so nobody knows about my little money issues. laugh.gif

Trust me, I dont rush to pay the IRS back at all, and I usually owe money at the end of the year. It tooks them 10 fuckin' months to give me a Homeowner's Tax Credit, so guess how long it's going to take me to pay them back? It all depends on how the planets line up...
Cheesey1
QUOTE (mitukczuk @ Jun 4 2012, 03:50 PM) *

I had no idea that he was supposed to be fighting Yeah, he should definitely retire.
As far as financial issues, I don't know.
Excuse me if this was already said. He's still with HBO, making what has to be at least $300k to $500k a year for that (if you aren't Roy, then your manager sucks). That's probably a drop in the bucket though if his expenses are still up there.
If I'm not mistaken Square Ring Promotions is his company I don't know if they have anyone promising on their roster, but at least he's getting most/all of the money when he fights.
Nonetheless, the fact that he's still boxing definitely suggests that he needs the paper.

Cshel86
QUOTE (Cheesey1 @ Jun 6 2012, 04:02 PM) *
He's still with HBO, making what has to be at least $300k to $500k a year for that (if you aren't Roy, then your manager sucks).

I think you're giving the HBO commentators a nice salary there. laugh.gif You may be right though, Lampley's been there for about 25 years, and Im sure Larry's been there longer.
bnoles4life
QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Jun 5 2012, 08:12 PM) *
I hate it for guys and that child support mess, trust me, I've seen it get bad. I dont believe HBO commentary pays that muc, because most of those guys have full time jobs somewhere else.

I know Lederman has his hands in medicine, but shit, those guys there probably had ringside seats to David vs Goliath, so its possible that they've retired at least twice in whatever field.

*Noles, thanks for that update. It says he's worth $45M? That's it? Im not sure about his fight purses throughout the years...was he one of those $10M fighters like OLDH, FMJ, and MP? I know he and Calsplappy had a 50/50 split since they were buddies...what was the purse for that fight?

I think $10M for both fighters.

Cshel86
QUOTE (bnoles4life @ Jun 6 2012, 09:44 PM) *
I think $10M for both fighters.

Oh okay, I just knew it was a split down the middle.
Cheesey1
QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Jun 6 2012, 09:15 PM) *
I think you're giving the HBO commentators a nice salary there. laugh.gif You may be right though, Lampley's been there for about 25 years, and Im sure Larry's been there longer.

Probably. I was thinking that he gets around $25 to $50k per gig. That could be high, but I can see a good agent negotiating that for him. Shit, reality tv clowns get that and then some, per episode.
mgrover
as much as I liked Roy and what he did, he deserves whatever is coming to him good or bad, while boxers learn to control there emotions in the ring, it seems he hasn't outside the ring. Pride and Ego are dangerous things, and they lead to dangerous places, if you can't control them, well your a bit screwed.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.