Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Mike Joooones! Who??? Mike Joooones!!!
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
Cshel86
Man, I must admit my disinterest in this guy, but last night solidified his insignificant existence thus far. How in the hell do you get flat-lined by a 37-year old? I mean damn, I was underestimating Bailey's pop at this stage of his career, but no way in hell Jones was supposed to get stopped in the 11th.

Arum's pimp hand was strong last night, but so was Bailey's right hand laugh.gif He dropped Jones right at the end of the 10th, and finished him with that right uppercut at the end of the 11th. I admit, Jones wasn't fighting his usual "circle and box" fight last night, he was fighting out of fear of getting caught with a right, and a right it was.

Where does he go from here?
thefloatingmonkey
Completely agree. Mike fought like a scared fighter last night. He was more focused on getting knocked out than fighting his fight.
Cshel86
QUOTE (thefloatingmonkey @ Jun 10 2012, 01:08 PM) *
Completely agree. Mike fought like a scared fighter last night. He was more focused on getting knocked out than fighting his fight.

Even if he had won on the cards (which was going to happen anyway), he did nothing but hurt his pockets. No way in the world people wanted to see him fight again, or headline a card, with that performance (prior to the knockout).
Cheesey1
I missed that match.

For me, the story of the night was the incomparable Guillermo Rigondeaux, but that's probably lost on the "boxing is dead/dying" set.

Rigondeaux can become a star. I've always said this, but it was nice to hear Ricky Hatton (now a promoter) affirm this. He said that Rigondeaux should be the bout before the main event when the arena is almost full, not one of the opening events when the arena's almost empty.
bnoles4life
QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Jun 10 2012, 11:59 AM) *
Man, I must admit my disinterest in this guy, but last night solidified his insignificant existence thus far. How in the hell do you get flat-lined by a 37-year old? I mean damn, I was underestimating Bailey's pop at this stage of his career, but no way in hell Jones was supposed to get stopped in the 11th.

Arum's pimp hand was strong last night, but so was Bailey's right hand laugh.gif He dropped Jones right at the end of the 10th, and finished him with that right uppercut at the end of the 11th. I admit, Jones wasn't fighting his usual "circle and box" fight last night, he was fighting out of fear of getting caught with a right, and a right it was.

Where does he go from here?

You know, when I found out about this fight, considering what I knew about Bailey and what I've seen in Jones, my initial thought was, "If Jones is asleep at the wheel, Bailey WILL (not could) get him outta there." 37 years of age or not, it's often said, the last thing to go in an aging fighter is power. Bailey and his team KNEW they could get Jones and it was evident by how Bailey stalked w/o doing a whole lot, yet kept that right hand cocked. As the fight moved on (and ironically, when it was evident that Bailey was tiring), Jones b/c more and more active and less "scared". THAT is when Bailey started trying to counter him and started connecting.

As far as Jones is concerned, unless he does something spectacular (and soon), his time is limited on TR Island. I mean, we all know how Arum feels about "black fighters", much less ones w/ little drawing power, coming of a loss.
sduck
Poor Mike Jones. At least he didn't go out as funny as Deandre Latimore.
BigFightFan
That was mike jones 2nd loss, he got beat by some guy on the PAC/marg undercard
Cshel86
QUOTE (sduck @ Jun 10 2012, 04:52 PM) *
Poor Mike Jones. At least he didn't go out as funny as Deandre Latimore.

Shiiiit...

Like I said last night, Jones fell in phases before he even hit the canvas. Dude folded up like a decepticon.

QUOTE (BigFightFan @ Jun 10 2012, 07:03 PM) *
That was mike jones 2nd loss, he got beat by some guy on the PAC/marg undercard

He actually beat Soto-Karrass on the Pac/Marg undercard, he just shot is wad in the 2nd round and looked kinda shitty throughout the fight.
iKeNjiro
Here you guys go lol
Best highlight reel of 2012

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e_Jwq_NqHqo...be_gdata_player
checkleft
QUOTE (Cheesey1 @ Jun 10 2012, 12:26 PM) *
I missed that match.

For me, the story of the night was the incomparable Guillermo Rigondeaux, but that's probably lost on the "boxing is dead/dying" set.

Rigondeaux can become a star. I've always said this, but it was nice to hear Ricky Hatton (now a promoter) affirm this. He said that Rigondeaux should be the bout before the main event when the arena is almost full, not one of the opening events when the arena's almost empty.

+1

Rigo stole the night for me. He was so fast with pinpoint accuracy and he was throwing with some pop, he looked incredible.
BigFightFan
QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Jun 10 2012, 07:21 PM) *
Shiiiit...

Like I said last night, Jones fell in phases before he even hit the canvas. Dude folded up like a decepticon.

He actually beat Soto-Karrass on the Pac/Marg undercard, he just shot is wad in the 2nd round and looked kinda shitty throughout the fight.

He was given a gift decision in that fight
daprofessor
i knew mike jones was in for a test when they switched to 8oz gloves. props to bailey for pulling it out with perfectly timed shots. mike jones never really impressed me.

the story of the night was definitely guillermo rigondeaux!!! dude is phenominal!!! can't wait to see him matched against the other top dogs.

also...i can't wait to see arce and the p.r. kid in a rematch! that kid (whose name i can't recall at the moment) is a beast!
sduck
QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Jun 10 2012, 07:21 PM) *
Shiiiit...

lmao

QUOTE (daprofessor @ Jun 11 2012, 02:34 AM) *
the story of the night was definitely guillermo rigondeaux!!! dude is phenominal!!! can't wait to see him matched against the other top dogs.

I agree about Rigondeaux. I was very impressed by him. Great southpaw. I would love to see how he deals with pressure fighters.
Franchize
I was switching back and forth to the game but I have to say that 1st knock down was the most random shit I've ever seen lol
Cshel86
QUOTE (Franchize @ Jun 11 2012, 12:46 PM) *
I was switching back and forth to the game but I have to say that 1st knock down was the most random shit I've ever seen lol

The way he feet started flapping on the way down was the most entertaining part. laugh.gif
Thickback
One of the best uppercuts I've ever seen! Jones faced exploded!!!! LMAO.

Jones actually fought scared the whole fight and never defended well. He just covered up without moving much. Props to Bailey. Mosley vs Bailey would've been good a few years ago.
Cshel86
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.