Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: HBO's Agenda
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
Cshel86
Okay guys, this has been looming in my head for months, and I have to put this out there. It's obvious as hell that HBO is going to be the network to air the "Megafight", not that we should care much about whether it happens or not.

With that said, HBO has seemed to thrive on this, and KNOWING that the richest fight in boxing history will be aired on their station, has created this huge wave of bias, to say the least. I know that they push their house fighters, fine, that's what the network is supposed to do, but when it gets this out of control, it exceeds disgusting.

Lampley - After last night's main event, he truly chaps my ass to no end. He doesn't know shit about the action taking place in the ring, and his bias towards fighters has gotten horrendous. Listening to him becomes more of a nightmare with each fight that he calls.

Merchant - If he doesn't see a guy's organ aren't hanging out of his body, then he's obviously in a pissy mood. In no way does he further belong on the network.

Steward - What an embarrassment! For a guy that has been training as long as he has, he's now resulted to providing minimum boxing knowledge, and piggy-backing off of Lampley, who doesn't know his ass from his elbows. All he is capable of now, is reflecting on the Tommy Hearns days, which means shit, if he cant provide significant info on what's going on right in front of him.

Kellerman - He's grown on me and is likely to speak on what's actually happening in the ring, rather going along with the current agenda.

With all of this said, it seems like HBO has become arrogant as hell, since they know that the big fight will be on their network. It goes from Pac, Roach's sub par training, Khan, Donaire, Martinez, Chavez Jr., and a few others...when it comes to their bias and agenda pushing.

Rather than using this megafight exposure to help raise the ratings, they'd much rather "sell" these so-called "name" fighters and vomit a bunch of useless, bias, horseshit that usually sways viewers' perspective on what they're really watching with their very eyes.

Who else sees this resulting from HBO knowing that the megafight will be on their network?
mgrover
it was obvious nut huggery for the win, its always happened and for some reason the quality of there commentating has gone to shit in recent years. i sometimes wonder if its HBO pushing that agenda or them speaking freely, its probably the former, and men at there age cant really be trying to find other jobs at the moment can they now
pimpfighterROQ
Why is it at big ppv fights its always the big three (Lampley, Steward, Merchant or swapped with Kellerman). They should have one ex-fighter to commentate at all times along with Lampley and Kellerman or with Steward. What happened to Roy Jones Jr commentating? how bout George Foreman? or Sugar Ray Leonard? seriously. They need former fighters to commentate to balance out the bias shit they spit out. Also we can get opinions on how a fight is going thru a former' fighter's mind.

HBO needs to step up seriously. Showtime at least have Tarver at all times to commentate.
Plah
QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Jun 10 2012, 07:55 PM) *
Who else sees this resulting from HBO knowing that the megafight will be on their network?

EVERYONE of us.
Plah
They should get Teddy and pair him up with Kellerman and Roy. Don't know why its so difficult.
daprofessor
Okay guys, this has been looming in my head for months, and I have to put this out there. It's obvious as hell that HBO is going to be the network to air the "Megafight", not that we should care much about whether it happens or not.

With that said, HBO has seemed to thrive on this, and KNOWING that the richest fight in boxing history will be aired on their station, has created this huge wave of bias, to say the least. I know that they push their house fighters, fine, that's what the network is supposed to do, but when it gets this out of control, it exceeds disgusting.

Lampley - After last night's main event, he truly chaps my ass to no end. He doesn't know shit about the action taking place in the ring, and his bias towards fighters has gotten horrendous. Listening to him becomes more of a nightmare with each fight that he calls.

Merchant - If he doesn't see a guy's organ aren't hanging out of his body, then he's obviously in a pissy mood. In no way does he further belong on the network.

Steward - What an embarrassment! For a guy that has been training as long as he has, he's now resulted to providing minimum boxing knowledge, and piggy-backing off of Lampley, who doesn't know his ass from his elbows. All he is capable of now, is reflecting on the Tommy Hearns days, which means shit, if he cant provide significant info on what's going on right in front of him.

Kellerman - He's grown on me and is likely to speak on what's actually happening in the ring, rather going along with the current agenda.

With all of this said, it seems like HBO has become arrogant as hell, since they know that the big fight will be on their network. It goes from Pac, Roach's sub par training, Khan, Donaire, Martinez, Chavez Jr., and a few others...when it comes to their bias and agenda pushing.

Rather than using this megafight exposure to help raise the ratings, they'd much rather "sell" these so-called "name" fighters and vomit a bunch of useless, bias, horseshit that usually sways viewers' perspective on what they're really watching with their very eyes.

it's good to know i'm not alone in how i view this. it's amazing to me that pac was able to fight so well for 12 rounds while lampley performed felatio on him. laugh.gif

seriously...hbo/lamps/lederman/compubox is to boxing what fox news is to politics. spin zone.

it's sad to see/hear all these sheeple repeat the bullshit everywhere. they have no clue and are incapable of thinking for themselves.
sduck
Man that Pacquiao-Bradley fight was definitely the most nuthugging I've ever seen from HBO. I think everybody got a bit of their jizz on them that night. I usually ignore bias, but that was clear as day to me. I don't know if HBO has an Agenda or their quality just simply went downhill.

I used to like Lampley, but idk what happened to him. He used to call the fight like it was, but now he clearly does worship some fighters.
I don't know how Steward is a trainer, because this guy lots of the time has nothing smart or worthy to say.
Merchant... Oh Merchant.
Kellerman, I see a toss up with Kellerman, sometimes he nuthugs, sometimes he doesn't, that night he DID.

Out of Foreman, Lewis, and Roy Jones... I'd probably say Jones is the best at calling things and least biased of the three, Foreman being the most biased, and Lewis just not putting much useful info on the match.
daprofessor
QUOTE (sduck @ Jun 11 2012, 03:05 AM) *
Man that Pacquiao-Bradley fight was definitely the most nuthugging I've ever seen from HBO. I think everybody got a bit of their jizz on them that night. I usually ignore bias, but that was clear as day to me. I don't know if HBO has an Agenda or their quality just simply went downhill.

I used to like Lampley, but idk what happened to him. He used to call the fight like it was, but now he clearly does worship some fighters.
I don't know how Steward is a trainer, because this guy lots of the time has nothing smart or worthy to say.
Merchant... Oh Merchant.
Kellerman, I see a toss up with Kellerman, sometimes he nuthugs, sometimes he doesn't, that night he DID.

Out of Foreman, Lewis, and Roy Jones... I'd probably say Jones is the best at calling things and least biased of the three, Foreman being the most biased, and Lewis just not putting much useful info on the match.

lampley pre-dlh was bearable. lampley these days is too homotional. he's the biggest cheerleader on hbo. give that guy some pom-poms. laugh.gif
Cshel86
QUOTE (Plah @ Jun 11 2012, 12:39 AM) *
They should get Teddy and pair him up with Kellerman and Roy. Don't know why its so difficult.

Let's play this Teddy Atlas thing out real quick, shall we? First off, I like Atlas, nothing wrong with him. He breaks down the action and explains boxing to anyone who has no idea what's going on. Sad thing is, he has no peoblem lifting Bob's skirt at any given moment and he speaks freely on why he thinks Manny is on PEDs.

THAT would be a HUUUUGE problem for HBO, because again, they have an agenda in place. Atlas is a VERY convincing figure, and has no shame in his dialogue. There's a distinct reason why he will NEVER rise above ESPN FNFs, unless a network is willing to take a risk.

HBO KNOWS that they have the "megafight" in the bag, so there's no need to have Teddy in place "telling the truth" and ruining their shine. He will make Steward look like shit, because of course he's a trainer and is "supposed" to be the boxing brain of HBO (which is bullshit). To HBO, Teddy is that little brother who blackmails the hell outta you, and has no problem telling in you.

QUOTE (daprofessor @ Jun 11 2012, 02:25 AM) *
it's good to know i'm not alone in how i view this. it's amazing to me that pac was able to fight so well for 12 rounds while lampley performed felatio on him. laugh.gif

seriously...hbo/lamps/lederman/compubox is to boxing what fox news is to politics. spin zone.

laugh.gif

Im a bit tired of the "spin" myself, and they are what's ruining the sport, not these predetermined decisions in order to keep the ball rolling, whether an agenda is in place. It's almost like they are afraid to speak on what's really happening, as if Arum has the power to have them fired. Maybe he has them by the balls as well. I know Steward's fighter (Andy Lee) is fighting one of Bob's top guys (Chavez) this weekend, so Im sure he didn't want to ruin things (i.e. a paycheck for him and his fighter).

QUOTE (daprofessor @ Jun 11 2012, 02:25 AM) *
it's sad to see/hear all these sheeple repeat the bullshit everywhere. they have no clue and are incapable of thinking for themselves.

"Sheeple"??? Sheep + People? Perhaps? Lol
pesticid
Call me crazy but I watched the last 6 rounds on a Russian stream and I gave Bradley 4 of the 6 rounds. I gave Pacman the 7th and the 11th. It was a close fight. I didn't see Bradley running like most people feel, he had two messed up ankles and he could barely pivot when throwing his shots. Pac landed some hard flush shots but they were here and there only. He didn't control the fight or anything. If anything Bradley was the one getting off first and getting off last. I speak little Russian and the Russian commentators weren't really surprised by the decision I felt that they were watching the same fight I was watching. Meanwhile everyone in the US from fans to athletes, media, ect. is screaming robbery.
Franchize

It's post like this that drew me to join this site! Excellent post! You really hit the nail on the head about every single "character" (and I purposely used that word to describe them as that's what they've become). I've been spewing the same 2 words for the last 2 years to all of my friends: Irresponsible Journalism! You see it with Mike Breen in basketball. You see it with Trent Dilfer in football. You see it with Lampley in boxing. These so called analysts are talking nonsense to prove a point they've made and hammer home an agenda. It's as detrimental to the sport as any referee, any scorecard and any drug test. Today's sports, especially with social media, is fueled by the casual fan...not the diehard fans.So if you are watching a sport and trying to get into it, and you are wet behind the ears in what to look for, you are being coerced, like it or not, by the commentators you hear and the crowd reactions. So when analysts say BS like Manny has some of the best footwork the sport has ever seen OR a journalist writes Floyd Mayweather is clearly ducking OR when suspect shit like Manny having a tattoo parlor attached to his gym gets overlooked OR when Larry Merchant says Kelly Pavlik is going to be one of the best middleweights ever....it incorrectly molds the minds of casual viewers. It makes people question reality even if it's right in front of their faces.

Dan Rafael, as dedicated to the sport as he is, conveniently omits things from his articles about Manny because he knows he has to sit with Freddy on EPIX ( and he completely sucks up to him every time).

There's no legit reason why fighthype, as phenomenal a job they do with the exclusive interviews and unfiltered quotes, isn't more mainstream.

There's no legit reason why a wise boxing mind like Teddy Atlas has been confined to ESPN.

It's all politics. Create an imagery and suppress anyone trying to wipe the bullshit from our eyes.
daprofessor
QUOTE (Franchize @ Jun 11 2012, 01:47 PM) *
It's post like this that drew me to join this site! Excellent post! You really hit the nail on the head about every single "character" (and I purposely used that word to describe them as that's what they've become). I've been spewing the same 2 words for the last 2 years to all of my friends: Irresponsible Journalism! You see it with Mike Breen in basketball. You see it with Trent Dilfer in football. You see it with Lampley in boxing. These so called analysts are talking nonsense to prove a point they've made and hammer home an agenda. It's as detrimental to the sport as any referee, any scorecard and any drug test. Today's sports, especially with social media, is fueled by the casual fan...not the diehard fans.So if you are watching a sport and trying to get into it, and you are wet behind the ears in what to look for, you are being coerced, like it or not, by the commentators you hear and the crowd reactions. So when analysts say BS like Manny has some of the best footwork the sport has ever seen OR a journalist writes Floyd Mayweather is clearly ducking OR when suspect shit like Manny having a tattoo parlor attached to his gym gets overlooked OR when Larry Merchant says Kelly Pavlik is going to be one of the best middleweights ever....it incorrectly molds the minds of casual viewers. It makes people question reality even if it's right in front of their faces.

Dan Rafael, as dedicated to the sport as he is, conveniently omits things from his articles about Manny because he knows he has to sit with Freddy on EPIX ( and he completely sucks up to him every time).

There's no legit reason why fighthype, as phenomenal a job they do with the exclusive interviews and unfiltered quotes, isn't more mainstream.

There's no legit reason why a wise boxing mind like Teddy Atlas has been confined to ESPN.

It's all politics. Create an imagery and suppress anyone trying to wipe the bullshit from our eyes.

well said. it's why i'm here too....well that and i was banned from the other site i used to post at for speaking truth. laugh.gif
pacco_diablo
QUOTE (daprofessor @ Jun 11 2012, 03:22 AM) *
lampley pre-dlh was bearable. lampley these days is too homotional. he's the biggest cheerleader on hbo. give that guy some pom-poms. laugh.gif

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAA... homotional. HAHAHAHAHAHHA. I'm totally stealing that. He has cried a few times on air though. When one of the guys who had worked for HBO boxing for many years died, Lampley couldnt keep it together. That was actually pretty sad though.
daprofessor
QUOTE (pacco_diablo @ Jun 11 2012, 05:05 PM) *
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAA... homotional. HAHAHAHAHAHHA. I'm totally stealing that. He has cried a few times on air though. When one of the guys who had worked for HBO boxing for many years died, Lampley couldnt keep it together. That was actually pretty sad though.

he looked like he wanted to cry this past saturday. dude needs to lay off the weed.
Jack 1000
Ten to fifteen years ago. Lamply was brilliant, with awe-inspiring commentary that was a pleasure to listen to and give him credit for when a fight is great! There is no way that the Showtime crew could have called Ward-Gatti I with the kind of passion and excitement that is Lamply and the HBO crew. And Boxing After Dark produced in its early to middle years some of the best action fights on the network.

The problem is that Lamply took that once brilliant commentary and insight, which I believe was at the helm when Lou Dibella was at the network, but than you had guys like Ross Greenberg and Kery Davis, who saw boxing as a business. I think, (don't have proof of this though.) that Greenberg or Davis told the HBO crew to build up the rising stars so we can turn them into household names. Give the "Stars" C grade competition to get them to a PPV payday with the kind of fights that USED to be on HBO Boxing After Dark, and before that Saturday and Sunday live commercial TV.

After Lou Dibella left, and HBO management said, "Let's build up a star with the star's choice of competition, rather than classic two-sided fights." I think that's the time when Greenberg and Davis taught Lamps to be a pom-pom shaker for the star fighter. I believe that punch stats now favor the star fighter. People say the 24/7 shows, which I don't watch because they are pop-pom shows, are there to build up a star, make him a manufactured icon. And it hasn't changed since Lou left.

Merchant's sick of it and wants out. Manny Steward is just there to ride off of Jim's coat-tails. I am amazed and thrilled with Max Kellerman at HBO! He has been such a good voice of reason, seams to even show less-bias to his love of slick boxers over sluggers, and has shown great objectivity. He's no-long used as an intimidating parrot to Teddy Atlas' rants, and Max now shows class and professionalism. He may be the best guy at HBO right now.

Jack
Cshel86
QUOTE (Franchize @ Jun 11 2012, 01:47 PM) *

It's been said several times, and definitely should be exercised due to the "fanboy f*ckery" over the last 3 years..."Fans see and believe what they want". The sport has totally been smeared because this dumb commentary over the years. It's obvious as hell that Manny is a media-manufactured champion, but people are too damn dumb to realize it.

The fact that people will follow this guy religiously, is a sad reality to face. One of his video guys were on 24/7 saying that he was one of Manny's "disciples". What kind of shit is that?

You may want to check one of my recent posts in this thread about Teddy Atlas and why he's confined to ESPN FNF, Im sure it will coincide with your views as well. HBO has gone to shit over the past few years, and everybody has ordained themselves "promoters", since "nothing" seems to be working in regards to getting this "megafight" made.

The efforts are pitiful, to say the least. It's like me trying my hand as a sports agent, when I know damn well I dont know what to say on the phone, what to offer, what to decline, what the player really needs, what's a good career move for the player, etc.

Oh yeah..shoutout to Jack for opening this topic a couple of weeks ago. laugh.gif I hope that Im given some type of credit for digging a bit deeper by throwing the "megafight arrogance" in there. Lol

QUOTE (daprofessor @ Jun 11 2012, 05:42 PM) *
dude needs to lay off the weed.

Nothing wrong with weed sir cool.gif
Jack 1000
THAT would be a HUUUUGE problem for HBO, because again, they have an agenda in place. Atlas is a VERY convincing figure, and has no shame in his dialog. There's a distinct reason why he will NEVER rise above ESPN FNFs, unless a network is willing to take a risk.

I disagree with Teddy on many things and don't think he's as good as he thinks he is. But that not the main issue. The issue is Atlas' arrogance and and if he were to preach negativity on HBO's house-fighter, that would be akin to "pissing on Lamply's pom-poms." Once that happened, Teddy would be canned like a tuna.

I was even surprised and give credit to Max who showed objectivity by saying that there actually were some people (although very few) at Ringside who had Bradley winning over Pacquiao. That comment probably did not go over too well with the HBO team's agenda to see the star fighter as iconic.

Jack

PS Who heads HBO's Boxing Department now anyway? Is Fat Dan {Raphael) there?
daprofessor
QUOTE (Jack 1000 @ Jun 11 2012, 11:10 PM) *
Ten to fifteen years ago. Lamply was brilliant, with awe-inspiring commentary that was a pleasure to listen to and give him credit for when a fight is great! There is no way that the Showtime crew could have called Ward-Gatti I with the kind of passion and excitement that is Lamply and the HBO crew. And Boxing After Dark produced in its early to middle years some of the best action fights on the network.

The problem is that Lamply took that once brilliant commentary and insight, which I believe was at the helm when Lou Dibella was at the network, but than you had guys like Ross Greenberg and Kery Davis, who saw boxing as a business. I think, (don't have proof of this though.) that Greenberg or Davis told the HBO crew to build up the rising stars so we can turn them into household names. Give the "Stars" C grade competition to get them to a PPV payday with the kind of fights that USED to be on HBO Boxing After Dark, and before that Saturday and Sunday live commercial TV.

After Lou Dibella left, and HBO management said, "Let's build up a star with the star's choice of competition, rather than classic two-sided fights." I think that's the time when Greenberg and Davis taught Lamps to be a pom-pom shaker for the star fighter. I believe that punch stats now favor the star fighter. People say the 24/7 shows, which I don't watch because they are pop-pom shows, are there to build up a star, make him a manufactured icon. And it hasn't changed since Lou left.

Merchant's sick of it and wants out. Manny Steward is just there to ride off of Jim's coat-tails. I am amazed and thrilled with Max Kellerman at HBO! He has been such a good voice of reason, seams to even show less-bias to his love of slick boxers over sluggers, and has shown great objectivity. He's no-long used as an intimidating parrot to Teddy Atlas' rants, and Max now shows class and professionalism. He may be the best guy at HBO right now.

Jack

if what u say is true...it's a role lampley relishes. merchant really isn't far off. i don't buy that he's fed up. he and lamps seem to be on the same page....shit.

one thing i'll say for greenberg and davis....they called it right when they refused pac/mosley. no one ever seemed to give them credit for that one. instead he was fired because some pens for hire shit on him repeatedly for showing "favor" to al haymon and his stable. the only reason it was considered favor by those pens was because arum told them so. funny how tom hauser was writing for top rank and now he's working for hbo as an "advisor." seems to me these positions are just given to anyone. fat dan is another guy who doesn't know shit about boxing...but somehow has managed to weasel his way into some pretty nice positions. there are guys on this board and others that i consider more knowledgeable than fat dan.
daprofessor
QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Jun 11 2012, 11:13 PM) *
It's been said several times, and definitely should be exercised due to the "fanboy f*ckery" over the last 3 years..."Fans see and believe what they want". The sport has totally been smeared because this dumb commentary over the years. It's obvious as hell that Manny is a media-manufactured champion, but people are too damn dumb to realize it.

The fact that people will follow this guy religiously, is a sad reality to face. One of his video guys were on 24/7 saying that he was one of Manny's "disciples". What kind of shit is that?

You may want to check one of my recent posts in this thread about Teddy Atlas and why he's confined to ESPN FNF, Im sure it will coincide with your views as well. HBO has gone to shit over the past few years, and everybody has ordained themselves "promoters", since "nothing" seems to be working in regards to getting this "megafight" made.

The efforts are pitiful, to say the least. It's like me trying my hand as a sports agent, when I know damn well I dont know what to say on the phone, what to offer, what to decline, what the player really needs, what's a good career move for the player, etc.

Oh yeah..shoutout to Jack for opening this topic a couple of weeks ago. laugh.gif I hope that Im given some type of credit for digging a bit deeper by throwing the "megafight arrogance" in there. Lol

Nothing wrong with weed sir cool.gif

nothing wrong with it when u enjoy in the comfort of ur home...or chillin somewhere. but if ur behind the wheel....or in lampley's case....behind the mic...driving a telecast...there is no room for that.

Franchize
QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Jun 11 2012, 11:13 PM) *

Oh trust me, I know about Atlas and his mystery email that nobody wated to talk about. Nobody even took him to task about that. Why? Because they didn't want to. If Atlas was on to something, it would have changed the landscape of boxing way more than any controversial decision.
Cshel86
QUOTE (daprofessor @ Jun 12 2012, 02:06 PM) *
nothing wrong with it when u enjoy in the comfort of ur home...or chillin somewhere. but if ur behind the wheel....or in lampley's case....behind the mic...driving a telecast...there is no room for that.

laugh.gif

QUOTE (Franchize @ Jun 12 2012, 02:40 PM) *
Oh trust me, I know about Atlas and his mystery email that nobody wated to talk about. Nobody even took him to task about that. Why? Because they didn't want to. If Atlas was on to something, it would have changed the landscape of boxing way more than any controversial decision.

Yep, funny how they swept that shit under the rug. Teddy usually spits the truth and is very convincing, so one there's no way in hell he was going to speak on something like that, had there been any speculation that it was a rumor. The media did the right thing with this situation...they kept their mouths closed and ignored it.
daprofessor
QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Jun 13 2012, 11:54 AM) *
laugh.gif

Yep, funny how they swept that shit under the rug. Teddy usually spits the truth and is very convincing, so one there's no way in hell he was going to speak on something like that, had there been any speculation that it was a rumor. The media did the right thing with this situation...they kept their mouths closed and ignored it.

u know it's no surprise at all about the outrage concerning pacs loss. he is clearly the publics favorite son. they want to see this guy succeed and they ignore every wrong thing about him. i cringe at the thought of how the media would have treated floyd had the tables been turned and he was the guy refusing testing. i hate to be the one to say it, but i can't view it as anything else but racism. the general public can't stand to see floyd on top. they can't stand to see him succeed. they honestly believe pac is the man to beat him. that's why they shitted on bradley's victory. who the hell is bradley? they never heard of him! pac is the greatest...then all of a sudden this guy who comes out of nowhere beats him!? i am convinced the general public is ignorant. they don't know how to score fights and they don't know shit about boxing....and....the general public is racist. there, i said it.
Franchize
QUOTE (daprofessor @ Jun 13 2012, 01:10 PM) *
u know it's no surprise at all about the outrage concerning pacs loss. he is clearly the publics favorite son. they want to see this guy succeed and they ignore every wrong thing about him. i cringe at the thought of how the media would have treated floyd had the tables been turned and he was the guy refusing testing. i hate to be the one to say it, but i can't view it as anything else but racism. the general public can't stand to see floyd on top. they can't stand to see him succeed. they honestly believe pac is the man to beat him. that's why they shitted on bradley's victory. who the hell is bradley? they never heard of him! pac is the greatest...then all of a sudden this guy who comes out of nowhere beats him!? i am convinced the general public is ignorant. they don't know how to score fights and they don't know shit about boxing....and....the general public is racist. there, i said it.

I agree with part of your post. I definitely don't think there would have been as huge a public outcry if Floyd lost in this manner. When Ortiz disgraced boxing when he fought Floyd, all everyoe talked about was Floyd "sucker punching" him. ESPN is still scrolling quotes from judges regarding this fight. Yet, I didn't see one scroll about Victor saying he intentionally tried to break Floyd's nose. As a black man, I hate when my people overplay the race card as an excuse. However, it's ignorant to pretend there isn't a standard that America expects black athletes to live by. Bottom line is, when you're a successful black athlete, America expects you to take your money, spend it humbly, STFU and say thank you master for all you've done!

As Floyd said, they always want him to win and then get on the mic and say "Thank you so much for all that you've given me. He was a tough oppenent. The best opponent I've ever faced." Why? If we train for months, you pop shit during the press conferences and before that, and then I beat you like you're an amateur...no...I shouldn't HAVE to be humble about it. I should degrade you for wasting my time and feeding off of my name lol

I was just surprised at first they let this happen to the Golden Child.
daprofessor
hbo might as well start editing the fights and adding in their own sound effects like they did on the contender. oh wait....they do that with the selective replays, jim lampley, lederman and compubox. nevermind.
Jack 1000
QUOTE (daprofessor @ Jun 13 2012, 03:11 PM) *
hbo might as well start editing the fights and adding in their own sound effects like they did on the contender. oh wait....they do that with the selective replays, jim lampley, lederman and compubox. nevermind.

Lamply has his own sound effects like "BANG BANG BANG" when Pacquiao throws punches! Hahahaha

Jack
daprofessor
QUOTE (Jack 1000 @ Jun 13 2012, 04:31 PM) *
Lamply has his own sound effects like "BANG BANG BANG" when Pacquiao throws punches! Hahahaha

Jack

laugh.gif

bang, bang, bang!!!! take that!!!
mgrover
QUOTE (Franchize @ Jun 13 2012, 07:54 PM) *
I agree with part of your post. I definitely don't think there would have been as huge a public outcry if Floyd lost in this manner. When Ortiz disgraced boxing when he fought Floyd, all everyoe talked about was Floyd "sucker punching" him. ESPN is still scrolling quotes from judges regarding this fight. Yet, I didn't see one scroll about Victor saying he intentionally tried to break Floyd's nose. As a black man, I hate when my people overplay the race card as an excuse. However, it's ignorant to pretend there isn't a standard that America expects black athletes to live by. Bottom line is, when you're a successful black athlete, America expects you to take your money, spend it humbly, STFU and say thank you master for all you've done!

As Floyd said, they always want him to win and then get on the mic and say "Thank you so much for all that you've given me. He was a tough oppenent. The best opponent I've ever faced." Why? If we train for months, you pop shit during the press conferences and before that, and then I beat you like you're an amateur...no...I shouldn't HAVE to be humble about it. I should degrade you for wasting my time and feeding off of my name lol

I was just surprised at first they let this happen to the Golden Child.

I don't know about that, seems like Floyd dug himself that hole with his "Money" persona. If you play the villain that shit just comes with the territory.
Cshel86
QUOTE (mgrover @ Jun 13 2012, 08:04 PM) *
I don't know about that, seems like Floyd dug himself that hole with his "Money" persona. If you play the villain that shit just comes with the territory.

I agree with this. You've been saying it for a while, and in all actuality, it's the truth.
sduck
But Tyson and Ali had a bad boy persona and the media and fans loved them. Maybe Floyd just hit the nice guy era.
mgrover
QUOTE (sduck @ Jun 14 2012, 02:37 AM) *
But Tyson and Ali had a bad boy persona and the media and fans loved them. Maybe Floyd just hit the nice guy era.

Heavyweights are different I think, there expected to be like that, like Chisora and Haye, look at them, in a punch up in a press conference and still getting a fight that many will watch no matter how much there shunned. Because there the big bad men. While when people see Floyd they see this guy that's shooting his mouth off, doing all this shit that will provoke people.

Ali had masses of support from the black community, also with his charm, I mean his witty lines and the way he preserved in tough fights like the Foreman fight, and the Frazier trilogy made him an inspiration, with the way he spoke out against the government.

Tyson was feared too much for people, normal people to say anything to him, I mean the media had a field day with his life, with the rape case and his first marriage. While Floyd, well if you saw him in the street and didn't know who he was I doubt he would intimidate you, hell I doubt he intimidates you now just looking at him, while Tyson just had that menace about him, his cloak of invincibility so to speak in the 1980s anyway.

a simple way to say it is that Tyson and Ali were bad boys, "Money" though wasn't a bad boy, he was just a prick.
daprofessor
QUOTE (sduck @ Jun 13 2012, 09:37 PM) *

ali played the role well and had an intelligence about him that i've not seen in any fighter since.

tyson was a genuine bad boy.

floyd is playing the role....but he's zero parts bad and in most areas when it comes to public relations...zero parts intelligent. mainly he's annoying and has done a great job of getting ppl to root against him. either way....they all have to pay.
sduck
You both saying some true shit. Floyd comes off more as a prick, and doesn't have that same intimidation or humor that Tyson and Ali had. Most people just find him annoying and would love to see him get knocked out. It would be funny if it happened, but I very doubt it will.
Franchize
QUOTE (mgrover @ Jun 13 2012, 08:04 PM) *

Floyd wasn't liked well before he started calling himself Money. That certainly didn't help though. Floyd left the biggest slave master...oops I mean promoter in the sport. He also turned down Manny Steward as a trainer. Those are two absolute no no's in HBO land lol
Cshel86
Yep, he was viewed as spoiled brat waaaay back in the day, but HBO still loves this guy, regardless. He actually played into the bad guy role, adopted it, and it's in full swing. I cant even say it's a character anymore, because the backlash is real, and it got worse when the "God of the Philippines" was brought up a few years back.

Speaking of God, anybody remember that part from the recent 24/7 when Manny's videographer (whatever he labels himself), stated that he was one of Manny's "disciples"? What tha hell kind of shit is that?
daprofessor
QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Jun 18 2012, 09:19 AM) *
Yep, he was viewed as spoiled brat waaaay back in the day, but HBO still loves this guy, regardless. He actually played into the bad guy role, adopted it, and it's in full swing. I cant even say it's a character anymore, because the backlash is real, and it got worse when the "God of the Philippines" was brought up a few years back.

Speaking of God, anybody remember that part from the recent 24/7 when Manny's videographer (whatever he labels himself), stated that he was one of Manny's "disciples"? What tha hell kind of shit is that?

seriously...dude thinks he's jesus. laugh.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.