Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: How much more
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
mgrover
With the bullshit of the other night I started making a list of the bullshit thats happened over the last two years in boxing

Hopkins Dawson I & II (the tackle by Dawson, and the score cards in the second fight, I mean wtf should of been a much wider margin)
Mayweather vs Ortiz (bit obvious)
Cloud vs Campillo (Robbery)
Abril vs Rios (Robbery)
MP vs Bradley (Robbery) btw I couldn't give a flying fuck if you don't agree am really not here to argue about this one
MP vs Marquez (Not robbery, but it seems something on a smaller scale, hmm Theft?)
That mug vs Marquez in his tune up for MP(Dive)
The failed drug tests by Berto and Peterson
Molina vs Kirkland(bullshit DQ)
Mares vs Abgeko I

How much more? I mean really how much fucking more before something will change?I don't have the answer personally, but something needs to change. I feel like I've missed something out if anybody wants to add it in

Plah
Lara/Williams.
sduck
Idk, but seeing Manny Pacquiao lose is making a lot of people give up on the sport and jumping on UFC... so they say.
daprofessor
QUOTE (sduck @ Jun 11 2012, 03:11 AM) *
Idk, but seeing Manny Pacquiao lose is making a lot of people give up on the sport and jumping on UFC... so they say.

it's why ufc is taking over man. i thought u knew. laugh.gif
bnoles4life
Why are we so outraged, after all, Floyd channeled his inner-Nostradomus and tried to let us know what was up?

**pay close attention at the 1:02 mark**

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hFoXYt8sVdc...player_embedded
mrwigi
QUOTE (mgrover @ Jun 10 2012, 07:56 PM) *
With the bullshit of the other night I started making a list of the bullshit thats happened over the last two years in boxing

Hopkins Dawson I & II (the tackle by Dawson, and the score cards in the second fight, I mean wtf should of been a much wider margin)
Mayweather vs Ortiz (bit obvious)
Cloud vs Campillo (Robbery)
Abril vs Rios (Robbery)
MP vs Bradley (Robbery) btw I couldn't give a flying fuck if you don't agree am really not here to argue about this one
MP vs Marquez (Not robbery, but it seems something on a smaller scale, hmm Theft?)
That mug vs Marquez in his tune up for MP(Dive)
The failed drug tests by Berto and Peterson
Molina vs Kirkland(bullshit DQ)
Mares vs Abgeko I

How much more? I mean really how much fucking more before something will change?I don't have the answer personally, but something needs to change. I feel like I've missed something out if anybody wants to add it in

U seem really angry.. U should bring it down a notch..

Cshel86
It sucks big time, but to be honest, confusion usually keeps the ball rolling. Sad, but true. The shit that happened this weekend is currently serving its purpose...people are pissed off and discussing it, keeping the attention on the sport.

Whether boxing is "losing" to MMA or not, people now have two sports to compare to each other. Again, the attention factor is in full swing. Good publicity or bad publicity is still publicity, so again Arum is still undefeated. laugh.gif
mgrover
QUOTE (sduck @ Jun 11 2012, 08:11 AM) *

i bet those fools will be the first to go preorder a PPV if Manny Mayweather was ever made
mgrover
QUOTE (mrwigi @ Jun 11 2012, 02:04 PM) *
U seem really angry.. U should bring it down a notch..

meh am not angry, i just think something should be done about the bullshit that was sunday morning for me
Franchize
mgrover you have every right to be angry. I'm passionate about basketball and boxing. As someone who rarely parties and is a homebody now, I'm even more passionate about watching sports. To see corruption unfairly overshadow the effort that these athletes put in day in and day out, is absolutely disheartening. I grew up a HUGE basketball fan. Spent every minute of my childhood playing it. I was realistic however in knowing that despite my hard work, knowledge of the sport and talent, it would be nearly impossible to overcome my height in a sport that is geared toward gigantic athletes. Therefore, my appreciation for pros has grown continuously over the years. To see guys put all their hard work in and have bogus decisions happen to rid them of the rewards; To see teams in basketball work their asses off to execute only to have to battle the refs and flopping; it's utterly egregious and disgusting IMO.
bnoles4life
QUOTE (mgrover @ Jun 11 2012, 09:50 AM) *
i bet those fools will be the first to go preorder a PPV if Manny Mayweather was ever made

True Story, MG.
checkleft
You forgot chavez skipping drug tests the whole hand wrap thing and people not even bothering to make weight anymore..
daprofessor
what i'm more pissed about than anything is the total bias displayed by hbo and the media in general. they all need to go back and watch this fight again. aggression means shit when ur missing all ur punches. tim put on a great display of defense for a guy who really isn't considered a defensive fighter. the slo mo replays showed pac missing several punches. to pacs credit....he showed some great defense as well. bradleys shots were missing as well. this fight was as close as it gets and could have gone either way.

these are manny stewards words:

"it was still a good competitive fight. it wasn't a one-sided fight. it was about as close as u could get without one guy being knocked down a few times."

lampley/compubox/lederman/group-think made this fight controversial.

i seriously question anyone who had that fight scored 10-2 or anything like that. i would gladly go round by round, punch by punch to help u understand my beloved sport much better. what happened this weekend only confirms what i've always known....people don't know shit about boxing.
Franchize
QUOTE (daprofessor @ Jun 11 2012, 03:48 PM) *
what i'm more pissed about than anything is the total bias displayed by hbo and the media in general. they all need to go back and watch this fight again. aggression means shit when ur missing all ur punches. tim put on a great display of defense for a guy who really isn't considered a defensive fighter. the slo mo replays showed pac missing several punches. to pacs credit....he showed some great defense as well. bradleys shots were missing as well. this fight was as close as it gets and could have gone either way.

these are manny stewards words:

"it was still a good competitive fight. it wasn't a one-sided fight. it was about as close as u could get without one guy being knocked down a few times."

lampley/compubox/lederman/group-think made this fight controversial.

i seriously question anyone who had that fight scored 10-2 or anything like that. i would gladly go round by round, punch by punch to help u understand my beloved sport much better. what happened this weekend only confirms what i've always known....people don't know shit about boxing.

I had it 9-3 for Manny. I've watched the fight 3 times. Each time I had Bradley winning the 2nd,10th and 12th. To say people don't know shit about boxing when very well respected people who would probably love for Manny to lose (ex Teddy Atlas, Paulie Malinaggi, Lou DiBella etc)sade he won is unfair. I think you're kinda beating your chest because you predicted Bradley would win and this is your way of saying "I told you so." Maybe you thought Bradley won. So be it. But you can't sit there and act like you can't understand why you're in the minority. Both guys looked terrible! Their defense wasn't great. Both fighters were just ridiculously inaccurate!
daprofessor
QUOTE (Franchize @ Jun 11 2012, 04:10 PM) *
I had it 9-3 for Manny. I've watched the fight 3 times. Each time I had Bradley winning the 2nd,10th and 12th. To say people don't know shit about boxing when very well respected people who would probably love for Manny to lose (ex Teddy Atlas, Paulie Malinaggi, Lou DiBella etc)sade he won is unfair. I think you're kinda beating your chest because you predicted Bradley would win and this is your way of saying "I told you so." Maybe you thought Bradley won. So be it. But you can't sit there and act like you can't understand why you're in the minority. Both guys looked terrible! Their defense wasn't great. Both fighters were just ridiculously inaccurate!

i watched the fight 3 times. i scored it a draw. without scoring it i actually thought pac won decisively 9-3....but that was while i was under the influence of alcohol and rabid pac fans. i could see pac winning 7-5 at best. i would have accepted that. the fight was as close as it could get. there was no robbery. again...i'd gladly do a round by round or even a punch by punch with anyone.
Thickback
QUOTE (Franchize @ Jun 11 2012, 01:05 PM) *
mgrover you have every right to be angry. I'm passionate about basketball and boxing. As someone who rarely parties and is a homebody now, I'm even more passionate about watching sports. To see corruption unfairly overshadow the effort that these athletes put in day in and day out, is absolutely disheartening. I grew up a HUGE basketball fan. Spent every minute of my childhood playing it. I was realistic however in knowing that despite my hard work, knowledge of the sport and talent, it would be nearly impossible to overcome my height in a sport that is geared toward gigantic athletes. Therefore, my appreciation for pros has grown continuously over the years. To see guys put all their hard work in and have bogus decisions happen to rid them of the rewards; To see teams in basketball work their asses off to execute only to have to battle the refs and flopping; it's utterly egregious and disgusting IMO.

+1000 with the NBA officiating is horrible!!!!!! Boxing is honestly not going any where and is definitely getting a lot of attention because of this but as long as TR exists we will have this type of non sense reoccuring.
daprofessor
QUOTE (Thickback @ Jun 11 2012, 04:59 PM) *
+1000 with the NBA officiating is horrible!!!!!! Boxing is honestly not going any where and is definitely getting a lot of attention because of this but as long as TR exists we will have this type of non sense reoccuring.

i can't believe i'm saying this....but TR had nothing to do with williams/lara or campillo/cloud.

checkleft
QUOTE (daprofessor @ Jun 11 2012, 05:37 PM) *
i can't believe i'm saying this....but TR had nothing to do with williams/lara or campillo/cloud.

Your absolutely right campillo getting robbed was vintage don king. As for Williams it could be crackheaded judges or it could be the common denominator in the equation and be his promoter too
daprofessor
QUOTE (checkleft @ Jun 11 2012, 07:38 PM) *
Your absolutely right campillo getting robbed was vintage don king. As for Williams it could be crackheaded judges or it could be the common denominator in the equation and be his promoter too

i actually see a pattern here....

campillo/cloud...campillo boxed and countered beautifully. cloud was aggressive and threw more.

williams/lara....lara boxed and countered couldn't miss with the overhand left. williams kept coming and never stopped throwing.

pac/bradley....bradley was sticking and moving and pivoting....manny kept coming and could be viewed as the aggressor.

in most instances....the aggressor is favored. it doesn't always mean it's effective aggression. i think ppl are shocked when the aggressor doesn't win. very few give credit to or understand slick boxing. i hear it all the time..."so and so was running the whole time...blah,blah,blah..." sometimes i even view it that way...as in the case of leonard/duran2 or when camacho or whitaker fought...but i was a kid back then who didn't have total understanding of what it is they were doing and how it is possible to control action with lateral movement and solid defense. i now have a thorough appreciation because i know first hand how difficult it is to fight in that manner.

two things to consider...

just because u throw the harder punches...doesn't mean u win. especially if ur gettin outworked or outslicked.

just because ur aggressive doesn't mean it's effective.
mgrover
all the bullshit the WBC gets away with
Cshel86
QUOTE (mgrover @ Jun 11 2012, 10:50 AM) *

Yep! Fence-hopping motherfuckers! You should've seen my Facebook news feed, smh. All of this "Boxing is dead" was wild as hell! Those folks who spewed that bullshit, didn't realize that they haven't been following the sport. Their best excuse at that point would be, "Boxing hasn't been the same since Mike Tyson". Oh please...blow me! Lol

QUOTE (Franchize @ Jun 11 2012, 04:10 PM) *
I had it 9-3 for Manny. I've watched the fight 3 times. Each time I had Bradley winning the 2nd,10th and 12th.

I usually agree with you about 9.5 times out of 10, but you may want to check the 9th round (which I gave him) and the 8th round (which some people gave him for a distinct reason). I actually gave him the 1st as well. This is just me, but check it out.

Clever! ok.gif

QUOTE (mgrover @ Jun 11 2012, 10:56 PM) *
all the bullshit the WBC gets away with

Suliman (sp) is full of shit. I remember listening to the radio interview when he basically said that if Chavez gets stripped of the title, that he would still be the interim champ. That was enough to make me throw up and sh!t at the same time.
Franchize

My point wasn't about the scoring. Look, normally when the susperstar wins unjustly, I'm pissed...but I get it. They don't want their prize possession to lose to a guy who they can't market. But this is a whole new ballgame. When your trying to set up 2-3 fights so your guys don't have to fight guys under other promotion labels, that ruins the sport. Look at Marquez. He's basically been put on the shelf for a Pacquiao fight. He's become the gimp in Pulp Fiction; somewhere stuffed in a back room until it's time for Bob Arum to fuck him over again. I said before Bradley even signed with Top Rank that he would be Manny's next opponent. Anything short of if Manny KO'd Bradley in the opening rounds, there was going to be a rematch. As long as it was competitive, there was always going to be a rematch. Bob Arum, for all his outrage, what shouting rematch the whole time. It was the 1st time I ever saw rematches being talked abotu so much in the pre-fight pressers. Bob Arum does a great job of thinking 2-3 fights ahead. Unfortunately for us, none of those fights ever include Mayweather.
Cshel86
QUOTE (Franchize @ Jun 12 2012, 09:13 AM) *
Bob Arum does a great job of thinking 2-3 fights ahead. Unfortunately for us, none of those fights ever include Mayweather.

Exactly, that's how Arum's been doing Manny's fight schedule for the past few years. He had Marquez lined up for Manny the day before the Mosley fight. Bob knows for a fact that he can make more money off of Manny in 2-3 fights without risking anything, rather than gambling it all away in 1 Mayweather fight.
Franchize
QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Jun 12 2012, 10:07 AM) *
Exactly, that's how Arum's been doing Manny's fight schedule for the past few years. He had Marquez lined up for Manny the day before the Mosley fight. Bob knows for a fact that he can make more money off of Manny in 2-3 fights without risking anything, rather than gambling it all away in 1 Mayweather fight.

Plus, even if Manny wins the Mayweather fight, Arum is only getting Manny's purse... which will undoubtedly be less than half of the PPV.
Cshel86
QUOTE (Franchize @ Jun 12 2012, 11:40 AM) *
Plus, even if Manny wins the Mayweather fight, Arum is only getting Manny's purse... which will undoubtedly be less than half of the PPV.

Now Im wondering if Manny is kicking himself in the ass for not taking that $40M. Im not even sure he had the power to accept that deal, but it surely would've done him some favors right about now. It's becoming more clear that his purse has seen it's cap (around $26M), sad, but true.
daprofessor
QUOTE (Franchize @ Jun 12 2012, 09:13 AM) *
My point wasn't about the scoring. Look, normally when the susperstar wins unjustly, I'm pissed...but I get it. They don't want their prize possession to lose to a guy who they can't market. But this is a whole new ballgame. When your trying to set up 2-3 fights so your guys don't have to fight guys under other promotion labels, that ruins the sport. Look at Marquez. He's basically been put on the shelf for a Pacquiao fight. He's become the gimp in Pulp Fiction; somewhere stuffed in a back room until it's time for Bob Arum to fuck him over again. I said before Bradley even signed with Top Rank that he would be Manny's next opponent. Anything short of if Manny KO'd Bradley in the opening rounds, there was going to be a rematch. As long as it was competitive, there was always going to be a rematch. Bob Arum, for all his outrage, what shouting rematch the whole time. It was the 1st time I ever saw rematches being talked abotu so much in the pre-fight pressers. Bob Arum does a great job of thinking 2-3 fights ahead. Unfortunately for us, none of those fights ever include Mayweather.

i guess i lost all desire/hope/whatever u wanna call it, of seeing the pac/mayweather fight after marquez schooled pacquiao the last time they fought. to be honest...i never thought pac had a chance against floyd. marquez only cemented what i already knew. now...watching bradley make this dude miss a shit load of punches and control the fight for the first 3 and last 3-4 rounds with very simple boxing...i think most should realize at this point that pac has absolutely no business stepping foot in the same ring with floyd mayweather jr. the only ppl who want to see that are the ones who knew pac was all hype and just want to silence the pac die hards.

the guy that brought up the rematch was bradley....and that was because he knew he was going to win. i found it amusing....and i have to say it's even more amusing to hear the pac die hards screaming conspiracy.

for the record....pac/marquez 3 was a robbery. i could not give pac more than 2 or 3 rounds. pac/bradley could have gone either way. that's not a robbery in my book.
daprofessor
QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Jun 12 2012, 10:07 AM) *

i think we all agree on that.
daprofessor
QUOTE (Franchize @ Jun 12 2012, 11:40 AM) *
Plus, even IF Manny wins the Mayweather fight, Arum is only getting Manny's purse... which will undoubtedly be less than half of the PPV.

i don't think we have the option to make the font big enough to express how big that "if" should be. laugh.gif

again....i have no desire to see pac destroyed by floyd. it became pointless after the marquez fight. even more pointless after a guy with two bad ankles just beat him.

i've always felt pac would suffer the same kind of beating gatti (rip) took from floyd if he ever got in the ring with him.
daprofessor
QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Jun 12 2012, 12:08 PM) *
Now Im wondering if Manny is kicking himself in the ass for not taking that $40M. Im not even sure he had the power to accept that deal, but it surely would've done him some favors right about now. It's becoming more clear that his purse has seen it's cap (around $26M), sad, but true.

sad part is....i seriously doubt he has ever really seen the whole purse.
Cshel86
QUOTE (daprofessor @ Jun 12 2012, 01:48 PM) *
sad part is....i seriously doubt he has ever really seen the whole purse.

We share the same doubts man. I hate to see fighter's get jerked, but hey, he DID sign the contract, so I cant say much. I have find the recent article in which Bob stated that he has 3 more years on Pacquaio's contract.

I cant see Manny buying out of his contract, I just cant. He would more than likely have to pay what he is potentially going to earn for his future fights, or at least a large percentage of it (somebody help me out with the buyout process please).

Bob already lost the likes of Oscar and Floyd to a buyout, so I'm not so sure he will make it that easy for Manny to weasel his way out.
daprofessor
QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Jun 13 2012, 11:45 AM) *
We share the same doubts man. I hate to see fighter's get jerked, but hey, he DID sign the contract, so I cant say much. I have find the recent article in which Bob stated that he has 3 more years on Pacquaio's contract.

I cant see Manny buying out of his contract, I just cant. He would more than likely have to pay what he is potentially going to earn for his future fights, or at least a large percentage of it (somebody help me out with the buyout process please).

Bob already lost the likes of Oscar and Floyd to a buyout, so I'm not so sure he will make it that easy for Manny to weasel his way out.

i haven't seen the contract...but i'm willing to bet there is terms in there about buying it out or terminating it. bob isn't stupid. he's got his claws into this dude and pac didn't make it any easier for himself by signing with gbp while he was still with bob. do the math...dude has two promoters....two managers....and advisor.....two trainers....roach/buboy....and two strength and conditioning coaches....plus his entourage. when it's all said and done...where will they be?
Franchize
QUOTE (daprofessor @ Jun 12 2012, 01:43 PM) *
i guess i lost all desire/hope/whatever u wanna call it, of seeing the pac/mayweather fight after marquez schooled pacquiao the last time they fought. to be honest...i never thought pac had a chance against floyd. marquez only cemented what i already knew. now...watching bradley make this dude miss a shit load of punches and control the fight for the first 3 and last 3-4 rounds with very simple boxing...i think most should realize at this point that pac has absolutely no business stepping foot in the same ring with floyd mayweather jr. the only ppl who want to see that are the ones who knew pac was all hype and just want to silence the pac die hards.

the guy that brought up the rematch was bradley....and that was because he knew he was going to win. i found it amusing....and i have to say it's even more amusing to hear the pac die hards screaming conspiracy.

for the record....pac/marquez 3 was a robbery. i could not give pac more than 2 or 3 rounds. pac/bradley could have gone either way. that's not a robbery in my book.

Actually, Bob Arum was shouting rematch to ESPN, Yahoo sports and a few other sites before the press conference even happened. My friend had a site that said Arum was heard discussing a rematch in the ring with Bradley before the decision was even made. If I can find the site I'll post it.He discussed a rematch when Manny was at the podium saying "if you want a rematch Manny then you can have it." Arum set this up from the start. The only reason he's acting "outraged" now is because of the public outcry. He was also quoted as saying the Vegas bookies and club owners told him that nobody cared to see a rematch regardless.
daprofessor
QUOTE (Franchize @ Jun 13 2012, 02:14 PM) *
Actually, Bob Arum was shouting rematch to ESPN, Yahoo sports and a few other sites before the press conference even happened. My friend had a site that said Arum was heard discussing a rematch in the ring with Bradley before the decision was even made. If I can find the site I'll post it.He discussed a rematch when Manny was at the podium saying "if you want a rematch Manny then you can have it." Arum set this up from the start. The only reason he's acting "outraged" now is because of the public outcry. He was also quoted as saying the Vegas bookies and club owners told him that nobody cared to see a rematch regardless.

bradley mentioned rematch at the final presser before the fight last wednesday.

arum discussing rematch after the fight is not surprising. pac looked like shit.
Franchize
QUOTE (daprofessor @ Jun 13 2012, 01:17 PM) *
i haven't seen the contract...but i'm willing to bet there is terms in there about buying it out or terminating it. bob isn't stupid. he's got his claws into this dude and pac didn't make it any easier for himself by signing with gbp while he was still with bob. do the math...dude has two promoters....two managers....and advisor.....two trainers....roach/buboy....and two strength and conditioning coaches....plus his entourage. when it's all said and done...where will they be?

Pacquiao isn't going anywhere. Furthermore, I think Bob will try to muscle him into signing an extension if he wants another major fight. My boy, who's Filipino and friends with Manny, expressed his desire to see Manny retire. He said that he shares the sentiment of most Filipino Americans. e just wants Manny to hang em up and help their homeland. He also said that Filipinos are becoming more aware of the leeches surrounding Manny and it's starting to become embarassing to him. He thinks it's part of the reason why Manny started devoting himself to religion more. Really sad if you ask me.

Also, is it just me, or was HBO, Top Rank and others really disrespectful about Manny's newfound dedication to his faith? I mean I can see people thinking there is some ulterior motive. However, who are they to judge a man trying to better himself. He's only going to be a boxer for a few more years. Those are going to be his kids for the rest of his life. It would behoove him to start strengthening his relationship with God and his wife...especially if he's going into politics. Sometimes, I think fans,analyst, critics etc take it a little to far and stretch the limits of our audacity. God didn't make Manny miss all those wild punches.
daprofessor
QUOTE (Franchize @ Jun 13 2012, 02:22 PM) *
Pacquiao isn't going anywhere. Furthermore, I think Bob will try to muscle him into signing an extension if he wants another major fight. My boy, who's Filipino and friends with Manny, expressed his desire to see Manny retire. He said that he shares the sentiment of most Filipino Americans. e just wants Manny to hang em up and help their homeland. He also said that Filipinos are becoming more aware of the leeches surrounding Manny and it's starting to become embarassing to him. He thinks it's part of the reason why Manny started devoting himself to religion more. Really sad if you ask me.

Also, is it just me, or was HBO, Top Rank and others really disrespectful about Manny's newfound dedication to his faith? I mean I can see people thinking there is some ulterior motive. However, who are they to judge a man trying to better himself. He's only going to be a boxer for a few more years. Those are going to be his kids for the rest of his life. It would behoove him to start strengthening his relationship with God and his wife...especially if he's going into politics. Sometimes, I think fans,analyst, critics etc take it a little to far and stretch the limits of our audacity. God didn't make Manny miss all those wild punches.

i got that feeling as well. not sure i can point to anything directly...but the questions and focus definitely seemed disrespectful.

i think it's time for pac to hang em up too. everyone has caught on to his style. i can't see it changing much. the other big fights out there for him will be tough. he's got nothing left to prove. he should pull a marvin hagler and walk away.

sduck
He should hang em up while the media still sees him as this "God."
checkleft
Dude arum probably had this sketched for a while now. Pac will win the next fight and they will have a trilogy and then the winner will fight marquez when he's too old to even be a threat. Arum isn't stupid
mgrover
QUOTE (checkleft @ Jun 14 2012, 07:20 AM) *
Dude arum probably had this sketched for a while now. Pac will win the next fight and they will have a trilogy and then the winner will fight marquez when he's too old to even be a threat. Arum isn't stupid

gotta wonder though if marquez will ever be too old to be a threat to pac.
Hotsauce
QUOTE (Franchize @ Jun 12 2012, 08:13 AM) *

arum is playing chess
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.