Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Canelo vs Ortiz finalized and set for Sept 15th.
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
leonthegee
The best part is it's on Showtime PPV. No Jim Lampley, no Harold Lederman, no Manny Steward, and no Larry Merchant (pause). Appollogies I just came in my pants. Gus Johnson, Antonio Tarver, and Al Bernstein. I can live with that.
leonthegee
Is Goldenboy beefing with HBO? It seems like they are steering their fighters away from HBO.
BigFightFan
Watch Lopez beat Ortiz and ruin the September showdown.
leonthegee
QUOTE (BigFightFan @ Jun 12 2012, 11:28 AM) *

Showtime would shoot Lopez before they let anything happen to get in the way of this fight. In fact Lopez should be tearing his ACL anyday now. But im sure Ortiz wants some kind of tune up fight.
daprofessor
arum/hauser/and the hired pens all shit on hbo for dealing with gbp and haymon. apparently...they were getting special treatment and didn't know what it took to build real attractions so that's why they fired the old guard at hbo.
daprofessor
QUOTE (leonthegee @ Jun 12 2012, 03:31 PM) *
Showtime would shoot Lopez before they let anything happen to get in the way of this fight. In fact Lopez should be tearing his ACL anyday now. But im sure Ortiz wants some kind of tune up fight.

traditionally, showtime is the home of the upset. their match ups are usually pretty even.
BoxingEinstein

This fight is gonna be a barn burner. Also with the added incentive 100k for a KO this surely will be a fans money worth. Both fighters come to fight and seeing The GingerBreadMan deal with a young fighter in his prime, fast hands, power, and willing (sometimes) to go out on his shield. I think Canelo should have enough to stop Ortiz in the late rounds and Ortiz should stick to boxing because Canelo would murder him in a slugfest. Great fight.
bnoles4life
QUOTE (leonthegee @ Jun 12 2012, 01:47 PM) *
Is Goldenboy beefing with HBO? It seems like they are steering their fighters away from HBO.

I think I read somewhere a while back, Showtime hired a guy w/ very close ties (or at a minimum, a great relationship) w/ GBP. In fact, I think it was here on FH where they predicted more and more things would be going on w/ Showtime and GBP fighters.
BigFightFan
QUOTE (leonthegee @ Jun 12 2012, 03:31 PM) *

I doubt they will cancel the bout, I'm sure golden boy and Ortiz think lopez is an easy win
haqtiq
This fight is gonna be good. I think Ortiz can hurt Alvarez, and I think Alvarez can hurt Ortiz. They are sorta both there to be hit, so to me thats what makes this fight that much more intriguing.
KOpower
I know it won't happen, but Bob Arum said that he wants to do a JCC Jr vs Sergio Martinez fight on the same day. That would be interesting. I don't know if I would like that or not....having 2 major fights like that on the same night. It would make for a truly memorable night of boxing if they do the timing right. It would cost around $120....but having 1 loaded night of amazing boxing would be very interesting.
mrchitown
QUOTE (bnoles4life @ Jun 12 2012, 03:31 PM) *
I think I read somewhere a while back, Showtime hired a guy w/ very close ties (or at a minimum, a great relationship) w/ GBP. In fact, I think it was here on FH where they predicted more and more things would be going on w/ Showtime and GBP fighters.

You are correct, his name is Stephen Espinoza. He is an attorney and he used to represent De La Hoya. They have a very good relationship, he's been interviewed on the ring mag website alot this year. i'm not surprised to see GBP over there.

As far as this fight goes, on paper it looks like it could be a good one. I'll definitely be anticipating this mathcup. I would've liked to had seen Ortiz fight some more at WW, but these are 2 young, strong, solid fighters who are entering their prime. It should be a good one
Franchize
In the words of Bart Scott...."can't wait!".
Jimmy
Canelo by decision.Potentially fight of the year cool.gif
BoxingStill#1
Im a happy camper...

Though I see Ortiz blowin his load early with Lopez..lol
Cshel86
QUOTE (bnoles4life @ Jun 12 2012, 04:31 PM) *

It's weird. If I remember correctly, a guy that worked for Showtime for a looong time, just came to HBO last year, and I believe he took Greenburg's place. I really need to go back and read that.

QUOTE (KOpower @ Jun 12 2012, 08:01 PM) *
I know it won't happen, but Bob Arum said that he wants to do a JCC Jr vs Sergio Martinez fight on the same day. That would be interesting. I don't know if I would like that or not....having 2 major fights like that on the same night. It would make for a truly memorable night of boxing if they do the timing right. It would cost around $120....but having 1 loaded night of amazing boxing would be very interesting.

If he does have Julio's fight on the same night, it will more than likely be free...unless you read that it was supposed to be a PPV. I think buyers are getting used to PPVs taking place in Sept. and May, so Im not so sure it would effect the Alvarez/Ortiz buys, but who knows.

I hope Martinez/Chavez happens to be a PPV on a different weekend though. Its about time these other guys get to headline PPVs and get some shine, rather than us having to watch the big 3 (FMJ, MP, Cotto) headline PPVs.
checkleft
QUOTE (BigFightFan @ Jun 12 2012, 03:28 PM) *

Way to put the pressure on ortiz gbp, remember the last time they did that?
I hope they aren't looking past lopez

And is it me or is ortiz even bigger than before? He looks like he might have put on 15-20 pounds of muscle and he was already big to start with. If ortiz can carry his speed and power to 154 this could be FOTY
sduck
I think this is going to be a good fight actually, if Ortiz does make it past Lopez.

I'm actually surprised they signed this fight, I'd think they'd sacrifice someone like Trout.
Cheesey1
I was hoping that they were going to pick someone already in the 154lb division. Noneheless, I can understand the rationale. Decent matchup, no major complaints here.
bnoles4life
QUOTE (Cheesey1 @ Jun 14 2012, 11:53 AM) *
I was hoping that they were going to pick someone already in the 154lb division. Noneheless, I can understand the rationale. Decent matchup, no major complaints here.

Man, this is "Mexican on Mexican" action....the $$$$$ will flow rather respectfully for this one. In related news, Oscar is likely to perform a cabaret number at the post-fight presser, as evidence by the fishnets worn underneath his suit.
checkleft
QUOTE (bnoles4life @ Jun 14 2012, 04:42 PM) *
Man, this is "Mexican on Mexican" action....the $$$$$ will flow rather respectfully for this one. In related news, Oscar is likely to perform a cabaret number at the post-fight presser, as evidence by the fishnets worn underneath his suit.

Actually this is better, its chicano vs Mexican. That's how Oscar got famous
bnoles4life
QUOTE (checkleft @ Jun 14 2012, 05:45 PM) *
Actually this is better, its chicano vs Mexican. That's how Oscar got famous

I stand/sit corrected, Check. Good-lookin' out.
Cheesey1
QUOTE (bnoles4life @ Jun 14 2012, 05:42 PM) *

True. The money that this means is the "rationale" that I was talking about (short term and possible long term money).

Re. the post-fight presser...sounds like Oscar's back on that devil's powder...(Oscar, just a joke. Stay clean).
Cshel86
Lopez is tough as nails...dont be surprised if he takes a big shit on Golden Boy's plans, since they bitchslapped by announcing Victor's next opponent. If he happens to pull a rabbit out of his ass and beats Ortiz, the Sept. 15th PPV will still happen, but Victor will take another hit in the mental department...something that he still has a frail grip on.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.