Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Randell Bailey vs Devon Alexander
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
leonthegee
Inked for Sept 8th and it's on Showtime beotches. Im telling you theres a beef between HBO and Golden Boy that nobodies telling us. Oh well Gus Johnson sons Jim Lampley anyway.
checkleft
Gbp is making some match ups. It should be interesting to see if Alexander has actually developed at all and if he can take a punch from a full blown 147 ko artist.
daprofessor
QUOTE (leonthegee @ Jun 25 2012, 02:48 PM) *
Inked for Sept 8th and it's on Showtime beotches. Im telling you theres a beef between HBO and Golden Boy that nobodies telling us. Oh well Gus Johnson sons Jim Lampley anyway.

the beef is old news and it all stems from arum/haymon. arum was jealous that haymon had an inside track to get dates. it's why plenty of articles were printed shitting on haymon for not "developing" fighters the way arum and company has been for years. it's why u'll hear a lot of the shit writers criticize haymon fighters for not selling tickets as if that was the only way to generate revenue. funny how they criticized the old guard at hbo...but they got it right when they turned down pac/mosley. they were also shitting on gbp for having so many dates...but let's be straight up about it....who wants to see any of arums "stars" fighting no hopers in show case bouts? say what u want about haymon...but at the time they were shitting on him...his fighters were involved in some foty candidates....berto/ortiz, williams/martinez 1 and a ko of the year with williams/martinez 2. when was the last time arum produced a match up that would be considered the kind of fight that creates new fans? whatever the case...it's obvious, even with showtimes old boss going to hbo....and thomas hauser becoming an advisor....and i don't know that it's true...but someone told me dan rafael was being considered for a matchmaker position....it's clear that showtime has the right formula....and hbo is listening to all the wrong ppl. showtime is kicking ass this year. hbo is starting to suck more than normal.
daprofessor
oh yeah....alexander is going to have to stay on that bike if he wants to pull out the win. bailey can crack. if alexanders sits for too long..bang!!! lights out.
leonthegee
QUOTE (daprofessor @ Jun 25 2012, 11:40 AM) *
the beef is old news and it all stems from arum/haymon. arum was jealous that haymon had an inside track to get dates. it's why plenty of articles were printed shitting on haymon for not "developing" fighters the way arum and company has been for years. it's why u'll hear a lot of the shit writers criticize haymon fighters for not selling tickets as if that was the only way to generate revenue. funny how they criticized the old guard at hbo...but they got it right when they turned down pac/mosley. they were also shitting on gbp for having so many dates...but let's be straight up about it....who wants to see any of arums "stars" fighting no hopers in show case bouts? say what u want about haymon...but at the time they were shitting on him...his fighters were involved in some foty candidates....berto/ortiz, williams/martinez 1 and a ko of the year with williams/martinez 2. when was the last time arum produced a match up that would be considered the kind of fight that creates new fans? whatever the case...it's obvious, even with showtimes old boss going to hbo....and thomas hauser becoming an advisor....and i don't know that it's true...but someone told me dan rafael was being considered for a matchmaker position....it's clear that showtime has the right formula....and hbo is listening to all the wrong ppl. showtime is kicking ass this year. hbo is starting to suck more than normal.

100% agreed Showtime is kicking HBOs ass this year. I wish Floyd would go fight for Showtime. Gus Johnson calling Floyd Mayweather would be too good to be true.
leonthegee
QUOTE (daprofessor @ Jun 25 2012, 11:42 AM) *
oh yeah....alexander is going to have to stay on that bike if he wants to pull out the win. bailey can crack. if alexanders sits for too long..bang!!! lights out.

Bailey can punch but Devons too polished for him. Im calling it now Paulie vs Devon IBF/WBA welterweight title unification. March 2013.
daprofessor
QUOTE (leonthegee @ Jun 25 2012, 03:49 PM) *
Bailey can punch but Devons too polished for him. Im calling it now Paulie vs Devon IBF/WBA welterweight title unification. March 2013.

i didn't see the whole fight....but against maidana....alexander was holding big time and didn't finish too strong in a 10rd fight. stretch that to 12....and with bailey's single shot power....anything is possible.
daprofessor
QUOTE (leonthegee @ Jun 25 2012, 03:47 PM) *
100% agreed Showtime is kicking HBOs ass this year. I wish Floyd would go fight for Showtime. Gus Johnson calling Floyd Mayweather would be too good to be true.

gus johnson > jim lampley

al bernstein > max/larry

tarver > steward

i really hope showtime keeps tarver. he's great behind the mic. jim, larry and manny behind the mic = grumpy old men.
leonthegee
QUOTE (daprofessor @ Jun 25 2012, 01:10 PM) *
i didn't see the whole fight....but against maidana....alexander was holding big time and didn't finish too strong in a 10rd fight. stretch that to 12....and with bailey's single shot power....anything is possible.

Thats what im talking about. Clinching is a smart defensive tactic. And Alexander is a solid welter while Mike Jones looked like he slept in a sauna suit.
Cshel86
Im not sure how to call this one. Mike Jones had a style to beat Bailey easily, but instead, he chose to fight like bitch...which resulted in a knockout. Usually, when you're fighting to NOT get knocked, that usually ends up being the ending result. He usually circles and boxes, while landing not-so-respectable combinations due to lack or power.

In Devon's case, he has the style to beat Bailey as well. As I've seen in his last few fights, whether he was nutritionally in order or not, he works good behind his jab and has gotten better with turning his opponents after he connects.

Thing is, he's always in a rush to connect, which means he's gonna come and get you...those Bailey shots could have his name on them. All in all, I see this being a rather clear UD in favor of Devon, with rough patches for him in the fight, in which he himself creates...as he always does. I doubt if he'll fight like a bitch...something that Jones shouldn't make a practice.
daprofessor
bailey is the champ. i'm guessing 8oz gloves will be mandatory in this one. does that change anyone's opinions?
Franchize
QUOTE (daprofessor @ Jun 25 2012, 08:17 PM) *
bailey is the champ. i'm guessing 8oz gloves will be mandatory in this one. does that change anyone's opinions?

Uhh yea! I think Alexander CAN outbox him. I think the one variable that I dont think has been mentioned, will b extremely crucial to this fights outcome...the ref. If a guy like Bayless does the fight, and he starts breaking them, Devin might go night night. I also will be curious to see the ring size. If its a small ring, Devin might get laid on his pillow pet real early. I have Devin by decision but thats def subject to change.

While I cant complain about this fight, I did want to see him n Paulie open up the Barclay arena.
leonthegee
QUOTE (Franchize @ Jun 25 2012, 04:48 PM) *
Uhh yea! I think Alexander CAN outbox him. I think the one variable that I dont think has been mentioned, will b extremely crucial to this fights outcome...the ref. If a guy like Bayless does the fight, and he starts breaking them, Devin might go night night. I also will be curious to see the ring size. If its a small ring, Devin might get laid on his pillow pet real early. I have Devin by decision but thats def subject to change.

While I cant complain about this fight, I did want to see him n Paulie open up the Barclay arena.

I wanna see Lopez v Paulie fight the winner of this fight for the IBF/WBA title unification bout.
Cshel86
I tend to forget that Devon has a chin and is ALWAYS a game fighter. Im sure he's not interested in how hard Bailey hits, so he will go about avoiding it by turning Bailey for the whole fight, rather than bitching out like Jones did.

Not that I think about, Devon will be busier and more effective than Jones was, so we will see how Bailey fairs in the later rounds. Jones' problem was that he was allowed Jones to power up for the whole fight, so that one punch was extra dramatic at the end. laugh.gif
pimpfighterROQ
geez fighters jump on a somewhat easy fighter with a title belt.

I'm still not quite sold on Devon even with his performance against Maidana. Bailey is a true welter with a punch that can put you to sleep. If Devon can box and stick to the gameplan even after getting hit by Bailey then it's an easy night for him.

leonthegee
QUOTE (pimpfighterROQ @ Jun 25 2012, 06:34 PM) *
geez fighters jump on a somewhat easy fighter with a title belt.

I'm still not quite sold on Devon even with his performance against Maidana. Bailey is a true welter with a punch that can put you to sleep. If Devon can box and stick to the gameplan even after getting hit by Bailey then it's an easy night for him.

But like most big punchers they rely on that power, and let themselves be out worked in fights. I can easily see that happening.
checkleft
QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Jun 25 2012, 09:04 PM) *
I tend to forget that Devon has a chin and is ALWAYS a game fighter. Im sure he's not interested in how hard Bailey hits, so he will go about avoiding it by turning Bailey for the whole fight, rather than bitching out like Jones did.

Not that I think about, Devon will be busier and more effective than Jones was, so we will see how Bailey fairs in the later rounds. Jones' problem was that he was allowed Jones to power up for the whole fight, so that one punch was extra dramatic at the end. laugh.gif

He has a average chin, kotelnik had him out on his feet in the 12th and matthysse put his ass on the canvas and nearly made him crumpled with a few straights to the abs in that home cooking they gave him but devon has always been very adament about coming back at fighters and giving back just as much as he's getting.
daprofessor
QUOTE (Franchize @ Jun 25 2012, 07:48 PM) *

excellent point! i'll hold off on my prediction until we know who's reffin.
The Original MrFactor
Randall Bailey is waaaay past it. Alexander called him out because its a fairly easy fight for him. Bailey's power is overated at 147. Alexander should have called out Khan. Alexander by KO inside 5. Heck, I wouldnt mind seeing Alexander fight Josesito lopez atthis point. Lopez is undersized, but he comes to fight and throws lots of punches. A smaller, faster Margarito.
Franchize
I can't say I disagree with any of you oddly enough. Everything mentioned can literally happen in this fight. There are two guarantees. Alexander is a way better boxer and Bailey is the harder puncher. I guess how you feel about Devon's chances may also correlate with what you saw in the Maidana fight. Was Devon so dominant because Maidana's power didn't translate with the move up in weight or was Devon just outboxing him that much? Also, how much of a legit effect did Devon's constant clinching have on Maidana? I can't definitively answer any of those questions to be honest. I'm still up in the air as to what my eyes saw in that fight. It was a rather odd fight. Devon clearly outclassed him but I'm not sure if I was impressed or apathetic.

Ultimately, this is a quality matchup, but liek most, I would have liked to see Devon fight someone else. This is not a powder puff tomato can but this does reek of "hey I want to add a quick belt to my resume'" rather than "hey I want to take on a huge challenge."

There's a solid crop of B-B+ fighters who are all around the same age and talent level and I think they should be fighting each other if they don't get a big pay day A+ fighter like Cotto, Marquez, Mayweather or Pacquiao.
That crop IMO includes:
Khan
Bradley
Alexander
Ortiz
Berto
Malinaggi
Zab (If he's the Zab that KO'd Paris)
Maybe Guerrero (bitch ass lol)
Lopez (I see enough to say he would make a good matchup with them)
Peterson
Cshel86
QUOTE (checkleft @ Jun 26 2012, 12:10 AM) *
He has a average chin, kotelnik had him out on his feet in the 12th and matthysse put his ass on the canvas and nearly made him crumpled with a few straights to the abs in that home cooking they gave him but devon has always been very adament about coming back at fighters and giving back just as much as he's getting.

I have to go back and check out the Kotelnik fight again, its been a couple of years since I saw it. All I remember is Devon grunting, throwing combinations while gassed out, and that ugly cut over his eyes. Kotelnik gave him a great fight, but I have to go back and watch it again.

The only fight I remember him being hesistant in, is the Bradley fight, thats why it appeared as if there wasn't much action in the fight. Any other time that Devon tries to give it back, he creates messes for himself (almost getting dropped by Kotelnik, Matthysse).
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.