Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Sergio Martinez vs. Lucas Mattysse vs. Marcos Maidana... Who impresses you more? [poll question]
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
Gambit808
Unofficially to me, this guy Mattysse is still undefeated, could have had his signature wins over either Zab Judah or Devon Alexander but to those who witness it knows what happend there. In my eyes he's the hardest puncher at 140 and a fight against Marcos Maidana would solidify that if his record does not already.
sduck
In this order Matthysse, Martinez, Maidana.... But why these three specifically? Is Maidana also from Argentina?
Gambit808
QUOTE (sduck @ Jun 26 2012, 02:17 PM) *
In this order Matthysse, Martinez, Maidana.... But why these three specifically? Is Maidana also from Argentina?

Yup, I guess I can dub it "battle of the argentines" or something. They don't really have as strong of a fan base in the U.S. like how Mexicans, puerto ricans or even phillipino's do, but they can be as entertaining if not more entertaining to watch. Just wanna know which out of the 3 has a bigger fan base to be honest
Plah
Sergio, Lucas. Marcos.
leonthegee
Luc-has fought the better comp and has been involved in some tough desicions.
Serg-been on a nice run
Maidana-a nice win over Ortiz, a washed up Morales, and not much else.
daprofessor
sergio martinez by a country mile...

he's blazed a pretty good trail with wins over williams, pavlik, dzinziruk, cintron (twice), and the brits who's names i can't recall.

if he beats chavez jr...with all the odds stacked against him...i'll be very impressed.
Cshel86
QUOTE (leonthegee @ Jun 26 2012, 05:50 PM) *
Luc-has fought the better comp and has been involved in some tough desicions.

Leon, I would have to disagree with this statement. If you think about it, Maidana has been fed to more than a few good fighters. Ortiz, Kotlenik, Alexander, Corley (gatekeeper), Khan, and Morales. I believe the Khan fight was FOTY for 2010, dont quote me on that though. The Morales fight was a big fight. The Ortiz fight was an upset.

As for Matthysse, he's fought the likes of Corley (gatekeeper), Judah, Alexander, and he just had a fight with Soto. Now, had he fought Morales last Sept. while Erik was still a hot ticket (right after the Maidana fight), then this discussion could possibly be a bit different.

Im a Maidana fan til the end! I pick him over Matthysse and Martinez because he's better at mounting an offense, rather than Matthysse who starts slow and hopes to counter, and Sergio who waits to counter but jabs and tries to land one punch at a time until his opponent slows down a bit.
Cheesey1
QUOTE (daprofessor @ Jun 26 2012, 07:48 PM) *
sergio martinez by a country mile...

he's blazed a pretty good trail with wins over williams, pavlik, dzinziruk, cintron (twice), and the brits who's names i can't recall.

if he beats chavez jr...with all the odds stacked against him...i'll be very impressed.

Agreed. I like Matthyse and Maidana, but Sergio's definitely the best of the Argentines and, for me, one of the best currently boxing.
Plah
QUOTE (Cheesey1 @ Jun 28 2012, 12:05 PM) *
Agreed. I like Matthyse and Maidana, but Sergio's definitely the best of the Argentines and, for me, one of the best currently boxing.

+1
Cshel86
My question is, between Maidana and Martinez, who gets more credit for being a monster? Does Maidana get it for his upset over Ortiz, or does Martinez get it for laying out P. Willy? Who got more respect when they came to the U.S., Martinez or Maidana?
Gambit808
QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Jun 28 2012, 09:31 PM) *
My question is, between Maidana and Martinez, who gets more credit for being a monster? Does Maidana get it for his upset over Ortiz, or does Martinez get it for laying out P. Willy? Who got more respect when they came to the U.S., Martinez or Maidana?

I'd say the upset from my Maidana on Ortiz, simply because Maidana got off the canvas more than once to come back and STOP ortiz. It didn't need a rematch. Meanwhile with Martinez, he got off the canvas (in the 1st fight) and fought to a draw, thus bringing forth a rematch with him being more prepared to handle his buisness... and that he did.
BoxingEinstein

Matthssye is the future of Argentinian boxing. Maidana has been in too many wars and I soon see him being KO'd by someone and Martinez is in his twilight years.
Cshel86
QUOTE (Gambit808 @ Jun 29 2012, 04:44 PM) *
I'd say the upset from my Maidana on Ortiz, simply because Maidana got off the canvas more than once to come back and STOP ortiz. It didn't need a rematch. Meanwhile with Martinez, he got off the canvas (in the 1st fight) and fought to a draw, thus bringing forth a rematch with him being more prepared to handle his buisness... and that he did.

Good stuff. Sergio actually lost the first fight by a majority decision (a suspect decision at that), but I get your point. I was waiting for an answer to the other question...Who got more respect when they came to the U.S.?

Sergio was hitting Paul with that same punch in the first fight, he just asserted himself more in the rematch. If you remember, Paul was hit with that same punch in the first fight and dropped...he was waaaay more hurt than Sergio when he went down from that "so-called" knockdown.
Gambit808
QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Jun 29 2012, 08:15 PM) *
Good stuff. Sergio actually lost the first fight by a majority decision (a suspect decision at that), but I get your point. I was waiting for an answer to the other question...Who got more respect when they came to the U.S.?

Sergio was hitting Paul with that same punch in the first fight, he just asserted himself more in the rematch. If you remember, Paul was hit with that same punch in the first fight and dropped...he was waaaay more hurt than Sergio when he went down from that "so-called" knockdown.

If your speaking in terms of who got respect quicker, I'd still say Maidana because if i remember correctly that Ortiz fight was his first in the states while Sergio had to do it the grind out way facing 4 or 5 opponents here before getting to Kermit Cintron and fighting to a draw. But If your going by the respect given after both of their first statement wins then I go for Martinez with the media p4p list to co sign me bro.
Cshel86
QUOTE (Gambit808 @ Jun 29 2012, 09:48 PM) *
If your speaking in terms of who got respect quicker, I'd still say Maidana because if i remember correctly that Ortiz fight was his first in the states while Sergio had to do it the grind out way facing 4 or 5 opponents here before getting to Kermit Cintron and fighting to a draw. But If your going by the respect given after both of their first statement wins then I go for Martinez with the media p4p list to co sign me bro.

You were right, thats what I was looking for. Maidana made an early statement by stopping the house fighter at the time, which was Ortiz. Sergio was on the receiving end of a few fuck-jobs while fighting in the States. He had to beat Pavlik and have an eye-popping KO over Williams.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.