Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: HBO Testing A New Device: Punch Force
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
Jack 1000
According to early reports, It's this micro electronic strip that looks like a piece of bubble gum. It goes in a boxer's glove and can be used to measure the speed and amount of punches landed. Scroll down just a bit at this link, and you can read about it. Pros and Cons? What do you think?

http://sosoboxing.com/boxing-news/hbos-pun...-boxing-judges/

Jack
daprofessor
i am bothered by the fact that hbo owns this. they have financial interests in certain fighters winning....can we trust that these chips won't be manipulated to suit them? they already manipulate with lampley/lederman/compubox. who's to say they won't do the same with this?

i think it's great and long overdue. i was actually working on something very similar. they aren't the only ones with this idea. there are a couple other companies that have working proto-types. i know that if this was available for pac/bradley...less ppl would be screaming robbery.
pacco_diablo
Cool idea but I flaw that I see... how do you stop it from tabulating a hit to an opponent's gloves or the sides of the arms? Still it's a pretty cool idea and on the right path to a digital approach to scoring.
daprofessor
QUOTE (pacco_diablo @ Jul 3 2012, 02:47 PM) *
Cool idea but I flaw that I see... how do you stop it from tabulating a hit to an opponent's gloves or the sides of the arms? Still it's a pretty cool idea and on the right path to a digital approach to scoring.

it's not the end all be all....just a tool to assist. they won't be getting rid of judges anytime soon.
flazi
yeah what about punches that are blocked? i don't like the idea. seems political coming from hbo.
mgrover
what if they break, i mean there going to take quite a bit of force arent they
Franchize
Doesnt detect whether the punch is blocked or the location of the punch. No thanks.
BigFightFan
I'm guessing this will replace compu box, but will not be totally accurate. Judges will continue to decide the outcome of the fights so what's the use
daprofessor
QUOTE (BigFightFan @ Jul 3 2012, 07:26 PM) *
I'm guessing this will replace compu box, but will not be totally accurate. Judges will continue to decide the outcome of the fights so what's the use

two chimpanzees with lap tops would be more accurate than compubox. i welcome this...but as an aid...not a replacement for judges.
checkleft
Don't like the idea.. it will still feel the impact of blocked/illegal or punches that aren't counted as scoring shots like to the back or on the elbows or shoulders. And like someone said earlier if hbo owns this how is there any way to know whether they can manipulate or alter stats
Jack 1000
QUOTE (daprofessor @ Jul 3 2012, 06:27 PM) *
two chimpanzees with lap tops would be more accurate than compubox. i welcome this...but as an aid...not a replacement for judges.

I don't want the judges replaced either. I want them more accountable for the decisions they render. A bad human judge could still be replaced by inaccurate computer software. We already know Punch Stats flaws. The system could be used as an upgrade to Compu-Box and compared with the scores of traditional judges showing when they are accurate, may not be as accurate, and may be way off. The judges who are way off would be required to appear before the commission to explain their scoring before they worked the next fight.

But if you have an accurate statistical profile, that is a much better bi-variate comparison of what the machine sees verses the judges. Right now we don't have accuracy in commentary. On one side we have human judges and on the other side we have Jim Lamply the pom-pom shaker for the house fighter ignoring what the opponent does and praising things the "star" does. "Oh!!! Look at Those THIGHS ON MANNY!" The HBO team, especially Lamply creates such an unfair bias to their heroes, that with HBO marketing this thing I second the motion, how can this device be fair?

Jack
daprofessor
i think ppl will be surprised when this thing that supposedly measures power ends up showing that some aren't as powerful as they initially thought. they will also be shocked to find out that the shots that knock ppl out aren't always the hardest shots....they're more than likely the most properly placed shots. it will serve to educate a lot of ppl who don't have a clue...especially jim lampley.
pacco_diablo
IMO, compubox would be more accurate if they added two more operators making the total number of operators four. Each operator should be responsible for collecting data in one area. For example, the two operators that are currently in use are responsible for collecting data in all four areas; jabs (hit and miss) and power shots (hit or miss). Having one operator for each area would make it more accurate. They should also have a camera angle that is shot from an angle above, looking directly down onto the ring, like the old Atari boxing game. This eliminates blocked views. Maybe it's over kill but it would help make compubox more accurate.
duwdu
QUOTE (pacco_diablo @ Jul 5 2012, 04:17 PM) *
IMO, compubox would be more accurate if they added two more operators making the total number of operators four. Each operator should be responsible for collecting data in one area. For example, the two operators that are currently in use are responsible for collecting data in all four areas; jabs (hit and miss) and power shots (hit or miss). Having one operator for each area would make it more accurate. They should also have a camera angle that is shot from an angle above, looking directly down onto the ring, like the old Atari boxing game. This eliminates blocked views. Maybe it's over kill but it would help make compubox more accurate.

Even though it will not do justice to issues such as low blows and a fighter's face/body language, I like the idea in bold very, very much, but solely for the purposes of counting punches by who/whatever, and not for continuous viewing.

P34c3
daprofessor
sobriety and vision tests.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.