Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Could a Mayweather Jr. Vs. Chavez Jr. Bout be as big, if not, bigger than a bout with Pacquiao???
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
Gambit808
Entertaining the recent comment made by Floyd Sr. Claiming that not only would Floyd jr. "whoop" Chavez jr. But he would "knock him out", makes me wonder... Hmm... If Floyd can spar with guys as big as heavyweights & Pacquiao can move up 2-3 weight classes high for competition, how far fetch is it to believe that these 2 (mayweather - chavez jr) can get in the ring at 160lbs. & resurrect what was once a scrap between Chavez Sr. & Roger Mayweather. So many ways you can spin this. In the perfect world lets say another year or 2, both fighters remain undefeated, for Floyd's final fight he wants to get a crack at fighting for the middleweight title adding to his collection and legacy to avenge his uncles 2 defeats against Chavez sr.. Chavez jr. (with a fight with Andre Ward on the horizon) wants to solidify his place atop the P4P list by dethroning Mayweather etc.

Though this post may need time before becoming a legit conversation, if things fall into place the way it should, how big of a scale would it compare to the on going dream fight that is Mayweather vs Pacquiao in terms of Hype?
BigFightFan
Has JCCJR headlined a ppv? Although I think they will do good numbers it just want live up to the hype of PAC vs May
Gambit808
QUOTE (BigFightFan @ Jul 4 2012, 08:23 AM) *
Has JCCJR headlined a ppv? Although I think they will do good numbers it just want live up to the hype of PAC vs May

He's gettin his feet wet with ppv headlines now that he and Martinez will scrap and that seems like it will be a cant miss fight of the year. Fast forward a year or 2 later (if all is well) he'll be sitting atot the mythical P4P list. Shiiiiiiit if he beats Martinez in great fashion in sept. we probably won't have to wait that long for his name to be put there. I see it as big with help from a Mexican Holliday
Cshel86
If Floyd moves up to 160 and knocks a 180+ Chavez Jr. out, then he should be checked for PEDs...being the fact that he can barely crack 154. Will it do bigger numbers than "the megafight"? We gotta see where how good Chavez does in his next few fights.

If you think about it, Floyd and Oscar did over 2M buys, and Oscar had averaged over 1M+ buys before that fight and Floyd didn't even crack 400k or 500k...so anything can happen. Promotion is the key...though I dont see this one ever happening.
Plah
Not close and not going to happen.
Thickback
Floyd Sr is delusional....his tender fisted son is not KOing Chavez Sr's Cruiser Weight son!!!! Anywho, I dont give Floyd another 2 years in the ring first of all, and I dont see Chavez being undefeated without the most scrumptious matchmaking ever outside of Manny's last 3 years. As far as the event, it would be big for sure. But it wont eclipse Manny/Floyd by a long shot. There is no demand for this fight and with Floyd barely being able to make 150, I dont see him coming close to 160 without rocks in his pocket. Could he beat Chavez?? As long as he has his legs, yes. But this would be 180 lbs vs 150 lbs....
Hotsauce
QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Jul 4 2012, 10:39 AM) *
If Floyd moves up to 160 and knocks a 180+ Chavez Jr. out, then he should be checked for PEDs...being the fact that he can barely crack 154. Will it do bigger numbers than "the megafight"? We gotta see where how good Chavez does in his next few fights.

If you think about it, Floyd and Oscar did over 2M buys, and Oscar had averaged over 1M+ buys before that fight and Floyd didn't even crack 400k or 500k...so anything can happen. Promotion is the key...though I dont see this one ever happening.

mayweather/oscar was the first fight to do 24/7
checkleft
Is this really a thread? Lol

May isn't even a true Jr middleweight and chavez SHOULD be fighting at least at super middle + the fact that TR promotes chavez

Cmon now
mrwigi
NO
BrutUalBK
At this point and time the only way I can legitimately make a case for this fight being somewhat big is because of Floyd's popularity, many people know JLC Jr but have no true affections for him like they did for his father at this point and time but all of this could change for Jr should he take on and beat SM handily (by KO/TKO or a one-sided UD) and then elects to take Floyd.

Right now Jr just doesn't have the pedigree nor the flair that people talk about to make him a huge enough draw to put him on par with a guy like Pac.
Cshel86
QUOTE (Hotsauce @ Jul 4 2012, 11:05 PM) *
mayweather/oscar was the first fight to do 24/7

It wont be the last either...
Kratza
QUOTE (Gambit808 @ Jul 4 2012, 10:05 AM) *
Entertaining the recent comment made by Floyd Sr. Claiming that not only would Floyd jr. "whoop" Chavez jr. But he would "knock him out", makes me wonder... Hmm... If Floyd can spar with guys as big as heavyweights & Pacquiao can move up 2-3 weight classes high for competition, how far fetch is it to believe that these 2 (mayweather - chavez jr) can get in the ring at 160lbs. & resurrect what was once a scrap between both men's fathers. So many ways you can spin this. In the perfect world lets say another year or 2, both fighters remain undefeated, for Floyd's final fight he wants to get a crack at fighting for the middleweight title adding to his collection and legacy to avenge his fathers defeat against Chavez sr.. Chavez jr. (with a fight with Andre Ward on the horizon) wants to solidify his place atop the P4P list by dethroning Mayweather etc.

Though this post may need time before becoming a legit conversation, if things fall into place the way it should, how big of a scale would it compare to the on going dream fight that is Mayweather vs Pacquiao in terms of Hype?

First of all, Floyd Mayweather Sr never fought Julio Cesar Chavez Sr. Instead it was Mayweather Jr's Uncle and trainer Roger Mayweather.

Secondly, this fight wouldnt even touch Mayweather vs Pacquiao unless we see some spectacular things from Julio Jr in these next year or so, it would be a hard fight for Mayweather due to the weight and size difference in Chavez, but it would also be a hard fight for Chavez because of Mayweathers skill level. Good fight in my eyes but nothing close to Mayweather vs Pacquiao.
BrutUalBK
QUOTE (Kratza @ Jul 5 2012, 03:04 PM) *
First of all, Floyd Mayweather Sr never fought Julio Cesar Chavez Sr. Instead it was Mayweather Jr's Uncle and trainer Roger Mayweather.

Secondly, this fight wouldnt even touch Mayweather vs Pacquiao unless we see some spectacular things from Julio Jr in these next year or so, it would be a hard fight for Mayweather due to the weight and size difference in Chavez, but it would also be a hard fight for Chavez because of Mayweathers skill level. Good fight in my eyes but nothing close to Mayweather vs Pacquiao.

JLC Jr is just too slow for Floyd, this would look like a Teacher giving lessons to a much slower Student, Chavez has to do something spectacular to get the fight with Mayweather-beating Martinez would put him right on target.

Floyd by UD should it ever happen.
daprofessor
QUOTE (Gambit808 @ Jul 4 2012, 04:05 AM) *
Entertaining the recent comment made by Floyd Sr. Claiming that not only would Floyd jr. "whoop" Chavez jr. But he would "knock him out", makes me wonder... Hmm... If Floyd can spar with guys as big as heavyweights & Pacquiao can move up 2-3 weight classes high for competition, how far fetch is it to believe that these 2 (mayweather - chavez jr) can get in the ring at 160lbs. & resurrect what was once a scrap between both men's fathers. So many ways you can spin this. In the perfect world lets say another year or 2, both fighters remain undefeated, for Floyd's final fight he wants to get a crack at fighting for the middleweight title adding to his collection and legacy to avenge his fathers defeat against Chavez sr.. Chavez jr. (with a fight with Andre Ward on the horizon) wants to solidify his place atop the P4P list by dethroning Mayweather etc.

u beat me to it. i was going to make this thread!

i think if chavez beats martinez than mayweather vs chavez jr becomes a strong possibility and may even surpass floyd/pac. all of mexico will definitely tune in and this fight is one win away from being possible.

it's more possible because chavez will demand it....arum will feel like he has the advantage with the bigger fighter....and floyd knows it's a very winnable fight. pac never wanted it.

the historical significance....roger fought chavez sr....only adds to the appeal. with everyone's love for nostalgia....i think this fight is very likely to happen. it's the reason floyd sr mentioned it. if it does happen...best believe i will tune in to see it.
Gambit808
QUOTE (daprofessor @ Aug 2 2012, 07:17 PM) *
u beat me to it. i was going to make this thread!

i think if chavez beats martinez than mayweather vs chavez jr becomes a strong possibility and may even surpass floyd/pac. all of mexico will definitely tune in and this fight is one win away from being possible.

it's more possible because chavez will demand it....arum will feel like he has the advantage with the bigger fighter....and floyd knows it's a very winnable fight. pac never wanted it.

the historical significance....roger fought chavez sr....only adds to the appeal. with everyone's love for nostalgia....i think this fight is very likely to happen. it's the reason floyd sr mentioned it. if it does happen...best believe i will tune in to see it.

Hey bro, this is one of those convos that are before it's time to shine. People will think we're both crazy for mentioning it now, but time tells all and believe me n u, IF CHAVEZ Jr. BEATS MARTINEZ THIS FIGHT WILL BE IN DISCUSSION'S TO BEING MADE... It just makes sense as well as dollars to boxing
Cshel86
I could see this happening if Mayweather had been fighting at 154 for a while, then he could just weight in at a Chavez fight at 154. Unfortunately, Chavez is waaaay too big and will need bypass surgery to make 154, hence how bad he looks trying to make 160.

If this fight is ever in the talks, then fine. Surely it wont happen, but it would be more publicity for Julio. Ih yeah, did I mention that Chavez is going to beat Sergio?
Gambit808
QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Aug 2 2012, 08:12 PM) *
I could see this happening if Mayweather had been fighting at 154 for a while, then he could just weight in at a Chavez fight at 154. Unfortunately, Chavez is waaaay too big and will need bypass surgery to make 154, hence how bad he looks trying to make 160.

If this fight is ever in the talks, then fine. Surely it wont happen, but it would be more publicity for Julio. Ih yeah, did I mention that Chavez is going to beat Sergio?

Lol, Dammit Cshel for makin a solid case on why the fight probably won't happen. Fuck it, I'm still on the other side of the fence thinking it will come to bro.

1 thing we both can agree on this topic though is that Chavez beats Martinez... I'm just gonna go a step further and throw it out there that it be by k.o. because I jus don't see this fight going the distance, but we'll see what happens.
daprofessor
QUOTE (Gambit808 @ Aug 2 2012, 07:07 PM) *
Hey bro, this is one of those convos that are before it's time to shine. People will think we're both crazy for mentioning it now, but time tells all and believe me n u, IF CHAVEZ Jr. BEATS MARTINEZ THIS FIGHT WILL BE IN DISCUSSION'S TO BEING MADE... It just makes sense as well as dollars to boxing

ppl thought my mayweather/cotto 2 at msg talk was nonsense...but i think it's highly likely. laugh.gif

if i had to rank them in terms of highly to least likely....

cotto
guerrero
chavez jr

that's just me and my speculation.
daprofessor
QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Aug 2 2012, 07:12 PM) *

i think if there's anyone to beat at 160 for floyd...it's chavez. he has that green belt so that makes it a bit easier for him as well. let's see how this all unfolds.

i agree...chavez is going to beat sergio.
daprofessor
i'll add....when mayweather/chavez happens...it's going to break all ppv records. bookmark this so when it happens i can tell u guys about my psychic abilities. laugh.gif
Gambit808
QUOTE (Kratza @ Jul 5 2012, 04:04 PM) *

FIRST OF ALL, thanx for the correction

Secondly, being that boxing has a very strong Mexican fan base along with Mayweather and Chavez's name behind it, how can't it?
aTYpicalTYrant
I'm sure we all have no doubts that Floyd is the better fighter when compared to Chavez Jr. And yes I agree that this potential dream fight will be a major convo (though unrealistic) if Chavez manages to beat Sergio. But weight classes exist for a reason! Floyd looks to be much more comfortable at 147 lbs. Yes he is all about his "Money" but he is also all about his 42-0 record. this fight would probably need a catch weight and a rehydration clause just to ensure that Chavez ONLY comes in 30 pounds heavier than Floyd. We're all welcome to dream but I can't imagine Floyd fighting this kid at all.

If it did happen I could imagine (keyword) the PPV #'s being extraordinarily high. It's more than enough History between the families for 24/7 to eat this up!
Cshel86
I wont lie, at the moment, I'm becoming more and more of a Chavez fan. Do I deserve to be stoned to death? Possibly. Sine his recent fight, and the fact that I have tickets to his fight against Martinez, I think Im getting sucked in. Am I alone on this one???
daprofessor
QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Aug 3 2012, 08:52 PM) *
I wont lie, at the moment, I'm becoming more and more of a Chavez fan. Do I deserve to be stoned to death? Possibly. Sine his recent fight, and the fact that I have tickets to his fight against Martinez, I think Im getting sucked in. Am I alone on this one???

i've been a fan since they bashed him for barely winning the fight against the bald white dude. (can't remember his name) he fought that dude and had the flu or something...but he still eeked out a win imo. the crowd was throwing bottles at him and his pops. very disrespectful. i thought they were holding him to a very high standard. he didn't have an amateur career. take a closer look at his pops career and u'll see that jr is basically on the same plan. pops didn't fight a recognizable name until his 45th fight or something like that. jr is a fighter. it's in his blood. he's developed over the years and i think he's winning more ppl over with his style. last year about this time everyone was shitting on him for getting favorable treatment and getting a shot at the title that was stripped from martinez. it's not the kids fault. i give him credit for performing under major pressure and trying to live up to his pops legacy. i'm also picking him to beat martinez.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.