Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What Things Would You Do To Clean Up Boxing??
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
BrutUalBK
I feel like there are some true boxing fans on this forum and from what I've read many of you have great ideas but I hope that you can share your ideas here in this thread as to what you'd do differently from what is being done now in this sport. I have some ideas that some may consider radical so here it goes:

First, and foremost I'd set aside a boxing union consisting of the fighters themselves and they would vote on all major decisions made with their sport.

Second, Insurance will be a must for every fighter in this sport, it would be paid by those who are members of the boxing union by dues required annually as part of being a member and having the same access to that insurance for themselves and their families. Amount to be determined.

Third, get rid of or restructure the Alphabet Organizations
Fourth, fire/get rid of all Boxing Promoters, the Boxing Union would promote the fighters and the fee for the promotions would come out of the union dues and fighters will pay a standard of 3% of their purses as part of the promotions.

Fourth, get rid of all these excess belts and limit champions to one per weight class

Fifth, Testing-will be done year round for all types of substances and results will be made public so that no one can hide anything

Sixth, Judges will be screened/interviewed (take integrity and personality tests) and heavily scrutinized-plus they will undergo vision screening every year and have no relationships to boxers or judges and be subject to drug testing

Seventh, Referees will be screened/interviewed (take integrity and personality tests) and heavily scrutinized-plus they will undergo vision screening every year and have no relationships to boxers or judges and be subject to drug testing

Last but not least, Instant Replay will be part of the judging on close rounds with some new type of way to count punches (something like HBO is considering).

Well, these are all of my radical ideas. What are your's??
mrpleaseplease
QUOTE (BrutUalBK @ Jul 6 2012, 09:18 AM) *
I feel like there are some true boxing fans on this forum and from what I've read many of you have great ideas but I hope that you can share your ideas here in this thread as to what you'd do differently from what is being done now in this sport. I have some ideas that some may consider radical so here it goes:

First, and foremost I'd set aside a boxing union consisting of the fighters themselves and they would vote on all major decisions made with their sport.

Second, Insurance will be a must for every fighter in this sport, it would be paid by those who are members of the boxing union by dues required annually as part of being a member and having the same access to that insurance for themselves and their families. Amount to be determined.

Third, get rid of or restructure the Alphabet Organizations
Fourth, fire/get rid of all Boxing Promoters, the Boxing Union would promote the fighters and the fee for the promotions would come out of the union dues and fighters will pay a standard of 3% of their purses as part of the promotions.

Fourth, get rid of all these excess belts and limit champions to one per weight class

Fifth, Testing-will be done year round for all types of substances and results will be made public so that no one can hide anything

Sixth, Judges will be screened/interviewed (take integrity and personality tests) and heavily scrutinized-plus they will undergo vision screening every year and have no relationships to boxers or judges and be subject to drug testing

Seventh, Referees will be screened/interviewed (take integrity and personality tests) and heavily scrutinized-plus they will undergo vision screening every year and have no relationships to boxers or judges and be subject to drug testing

Last but not least, Instant Replay will be part of the judging on close rounds with some new type of way to count punches (something like HBO is considering).

Well, these are all of my radical ideas. What are your's??

mgrover
fairly simple tbh a unified governing body to rule of all boxing, rankings, belt, drug testing, the training of judges and what not. a governing body to take care of it all.
pacco_diablo
I must first preface my opinion on a radical change with my thoughts on boxing as a whole. This sport is obviously an easily corruptible sport, made so by the amount of greed that has completely taken over. IMO, this is because the fighters themselves have too much control. You’d be hard pressed to find very many other “professional” sports where ultimately the choice of competition is made by the athlete, or whoever they chose to hire. There indeed needs to be a true commissioner or union type authority to govern the governing bodies. There are way too many cooks in the kitchen and they are all trying to eat the apple pie before it hits the dining room table. Not only is it half eaten but some of the cooks decided to add vinegar, meat tenderizer, and tomatoes to the mix. By the time we get our apple pie to the table (which is half eaten) we are left with a product that tastes like shit, and we just shelled out $65 for it!

A mandatory should be one true mandatory that the champion must fight. Fighters refusing to fight the mandatory should be shunned, stripped and treated as a coward. The governing body needs to decide who will fight in title fights.

A huge question can be raised about how much the fighters make. There should be a formula created for this as well in these mandatory title fights. The NFL imposed a rookie salary cap. Professional boxing should do something similar. Gone would be the days of Money May strong-arming potential opponents because he feels he’s the bigger draw. Yea, that may be the case but it’s also saying that you’re bigger than the sport itself. If Pretty Boy Floyd isn’t happy with the 10 million that he’s slated to make while fighting an opponent selected for him then good luck on the golf course. If youre that big Floyd then create your own title, setup your own fight and “scrimmage” away.

We need to somehow take the choice away from the fighters. Once this happens then the promoters are only left to promote the fight, which we’d all love to see. We’ve been robbed of so many good fights throughout history because it the decision was left up to the fighters.

I also want to see more tournaments like the super 6! Maybe not as long, but some bracket type deal. Make it appealing by the winner receiving a huge cash prize.
BrutUalBK
QUOTE (pacco_diablo @ Jul 6 2012, 02:19 PM) *
I must first preface my opinion on a radical change with my thoughts on boxing as a whole. This sport is obviously an easily corruptible sport, made so by the amount of greed that has completely taken over. IMO, this is because the fighters themselves have too much control. You’d be hard pressed to find very many other “professional” sports where ultimately the choice of competition is made by the athlete, or whoever they chose to hire. There indeed needs to be a true commissioner or union type authority to govern the governing bodies. There are way too many cooks in the kitchen and they are all trying to eat the apple pie before it hits the dining room table. Not only is it half eaten but some of the cooks decided to add vinegar, meat tenderizer, and tomatoes to the mix. By the time we get our apple pie to the table (which is half eaten) we are left with a product that tastes like shit, and we just shelled out $65 for it!

A mandatory should be one true mandatory that the champion must fight. Fighters refusing to fight the mandatory should be shunned, stripped and treated as a coward. The governing body needs to decide who will fight in title fights.

A huge question can be raised about how much the fighters make. There should be a formula created for this as well in these mandatory title fights. The NFL imposed a rookie salary cap. Professional boxing should do something similar. Gone would be the days of Money May strong-arming potential opponents because he feels he’s the bigger draw. Yea, that may be the case but it’s also saying that you’re bigger than the sport itself. If Pretty Boy Floyd isn’t happy with the 10 million that he’s slated to make while fighting an opponent selected for him then good luck on the golf course. If youre that big Floyd then create your own title, setup your own fight and “scrimmage” away.

We need to somehow take the choice away from the fighters. Once this happens then the promoters are only left to promote the fight, which we’d all love to see. We’ve been robbed of so many good fights throughout history because it the decision was left up to the fighters.

I also want to see more tournaments like the super 6! Maybe not as long, but some bracket type deal. Make it appealing by the winner receiving a huge cash prize.

While i do agree with many of your points, the finger pointing should go out the window when it comes to directing your anger on one individual.

Floyd isn't the reason why the fight with Pac never happened, Pac said he'd take less and it was Arum who decided against it, still and all none of this price gouging started with Floyd, many fighters since this sports inception have always commanded the lion's share of the pot, especially when they are actually the draw.

I, unlike you however, do not agree that fighters have too much control. The control over this sport is by the Alpha organizations and the Promoters, those two command the most greed often making more than the fighters that they represent.

Like I said; we do agree on many of your points but it seems clear that your point is mainly aimed at Mayweather of which he is such a small and insignificant part of this messy stew that was brewed long before he was even born.
checkleft
Give Bob arum a lifelong ban.
daprofessor
problem: tavoris cloud got a gift decision over campillo

solution: showtime should not televise his bout unless it's a rematch with campillo

same theory applies to rios/abril, froch/dirrell and several others.

problem: jim lampley needs to shut the fuck up

solution: hbo should fire him

see how easy that is!? smile.gif
pacco_diablo
QUOTE (BrutUalBK @ Jul 6 2012, 04:31 PM) *
While i do agree with many of your points, the finger pointing should go out the window when it comes to directing your anger on one individual.

Floyd isn't the reason why the fight with Pac never happened, Pac said he'd take less and it was Arum who decided against it, still and all none of this price gouging started with Floyd, many fighters since this sports inception have always commanded the lion's share of the pot, especially when they are actually the draw.

I, unlike you however, do not agree that fighters have too much control. The control over this sport is by the Alpha organizations and the Promoters, those two command the most greed often making more than the fighters that they represent.

Like I said; we do agree on many of your points but it seems clear that your point is mainly aimed at Mayweather of which he is such a small and insignificant part of this messy stew that was brewed long before he was even born.

I see what youre saying and youre right, I do hold a lot of anger towards Mayweather for not making/allowing this fight to happen. However, I will say this... My favorite fighter of all time also pulled a lot of stunts that Mayweather has pulled, that being Roy Jones Jr. We were robbed of the B-hop rematch and a fight with Darius Michach&^%$ski because they wouldnt agree to Roy's terms. I also believe that though Promoters can have a heavy influence, it's still going to boil down to what the fighter wants to do. I'd have a hard time believing that Money May isnt ultimately doing what he wants to do.

I just feel like we are constantly being robbed of fights that should happen. Bowe should have faught Lewis. One of the few (recent fighters) who truly faught for legacy was Sugar Shane. He always tried to get into the ring with the best competition.
mgrover
QUOTE (checkleft @ Jul 6 2012, 09:36 PM) *
Give Bob arum a lifelong ban.

i said it before and i'll say it again, a stake through the heart and hes finished.
Jack 1000
Several Things,

Make it a CRIMINAL OFFENSE to rig a fight or take a bribe from anybody regarding a fights' outcome. We see judges issuing decisions that are so overtly in favor on the star promoted fighter. A hearing would determine if there would be evidence to go to trail and the person suspected of wrongdoing would have to explain his reasoning to the appellate committee. If the appellate committee was not satisfied with the person suspected of manipulating the outcome of the flight's answers to the questions, they can issue an indictment for trail. Maybe just having this kind of a process might stop some of the favoritism, or make the parties involved think twice before doing it again.

If you are convicted you face fines and suspensions the first time. A second offense would result in a harsher penalty. Maybe jail time needs to get involved here. I don't know all the legal parameters, but remember Jean Williams who had Holyfield ahead in the first Lewis fight when no one else did? She went through all the hearings and everything and the review board found no wrong-doing with her. Later, she sued a British tabloid for libel and won, because they claimed that she was bribed to favor Holyfield in the fight. The only thing the review showed was she was incompetent that night, for whatever reason. The IBF and New Jersey Commission still use her as a judge, although rarely because of her terrible card that night. She has been fair in other fights she has worked.

But there is an issue where judges will submit terrible scorecards that are so out of line where no one other than the judge in question saw what he/she scored, and these commissions defend them to the death. We see the same 70, 80 year-old guys over and over. Another part of the problem could be judges protected by seniority, aging, and deteriorating eyesight.

Most importantly, changing the scoring system to a computer scoring system, or a wider acceptance of the WBC's 4th and 8th round Open Scoring system I don't believe would improve the accountability of judging. Yes, fighters at quarterly intervals would know where they stand, but how does that make judging better? Computer scoring is subjected to software failure and its own inaccuracies. We have already seen this with Punch Stats, and HBO's house-fighter hero worshiping biased commentary. I think sometimes the commentary cheer-leading is just as bad as the judging, maybe worse! Could you imagine Jim Lamply as a judge to an HBO contracted/promoted fighter!?

I would like some national federation to implement it's own rules for boxing like the Association of Boxing Commissions does for fights in the United States and Great Britain's matches under the British Boxing Board of Control. Don't involve political hacks, but rather a system of checks and balances with models for boxing that have worked. Maybe we need the ABC to start ranking and doing it's own title fights regardless of the promoter or sanctioning body associated with it. The alphabet groups can be represented if they want, but the Association of Boxing Commissions would decide the rules for boxing in the jurisdictions, which they reside. And it's one belt one champion per weight class. They did it with Unified Rules, so how about unified champions?

Have the ABC limit promotional power by reducing contractual obligations that are long-term. Make the deals that produce the best, most competitive matches on paper regardless of promoter or sanctioning body. Work with contracts on a fight-by-fight basis. TV networks like HBO should have no more long-term contract relationship deals.

Encourage top 10 elimination tournaments with a realistic set of ratings shown on prime time FREE TV or at best, basic cable. Use PPV as a last resort for boxing instead of every fight out there that is important. If it's not closed-circuit material it MUST be on a level of service no higher than a Premium cable channel. The structure for televised boxing should be something like the following:

60% of TV boxing on free broadcast TV
25% HBO and Showtime
15% PPV.

Jack
Hotsauce
QUOTE (pacco_diablo @ Jul 6 2012, 05:26 PM) *
I see what youre saying and youre right, I do hold a lot of anger towards Mayweather for not making/allowing this fight to happen. However, I will say this... My favorite fighter of all time also pulled a lot of stunts that Mayweather has pulled, that being Roy Jones Jr. We were robbed of the B-hop rematch and a fight with Darius Michach&^%$ski because they wouldnt agree to Roy's terms. I also believe that though Promoters can have a heavy influence, it's still going to boil down to what the fighter wants to do. I'd have a hard time believing that Money May isnt ultimately doing what he wants to do.

I just feel like we are constantly being robbed of fights that should happen. Bowe should have faught Lewis. One of the few (recent fighters) who truly faught for legacy was Sugar Shane. He always tried to get into the ring with the best competition.

i don't blame roy for the rematch. roy already had a win over him.
checkleft
QUOTE (Hotsauce @ Jul 6 2012, 10:45 PM) *
i don't blame roy for the rematch. roy already had a win over him.

And that fight was garbage anyway so I doubt anyone took the loss serious. Plus he got paid
Cshel86
QUOTE (mgrover @ Jul 6 2012, 07:36 PM) *
i said it before and i'll say it again, a stake through the heart and hes finished.

Ha! Gotta love the harsh dialogue of MG!

Anyway, as Teddy Atlas mentioned, there needs to be a separation of the people who make money in the sport, and the people administrating the sport.
Franchize
It all starts with a Universal governing body/ umbrella commission- Enough is enough. Some accoutability and order needs to take place.

Under said organization, here's some of the things I would introduce:

1. If a fighter's license is revoked in one state, it should be revoked in every state.

2. A fighter caught using any type of foreign substance in their gloves, tampering with their gloves illegally or purposely using a substance to blind an opponent should be automatically banned for life.

3. Fighters caught using PEDs should be banned for a year automatically ONLY AFTER the situation is investigated by a panel of doctors hired by said commission, the fighter's doctor AND an independent doctor.

4. As Jack said, any judge deemed tampering or manipulating decisions unjustly should be subject to criminal charges and fines.

5. Judges will have a stricter licensing procedure annually, will have to apply every year and will be thoroughly evaluated for performance

6. Much like college stars and agents/scouts/professional teams, any judge found to have extensive contact with a promoter will be subject to hefty fines as well as the promoter.

7. All boxing organizations should be governed under the same body, at least in the US.

8. Said organizations (IBO,WBO,WBC etc) should have a publicized ranking system, a definitive mandatories and a definitive champion/belt. No more of this diamond belt and co world champion BS.

9. Ring size, glove size, in ring weight all should be set in stone and based on weight class. (Ex. Welterweight gets an automatic ring size of X and glove size of Y)

10. Each professional fighter must be part of a union.

11. Promoters must have a revenue sharing system. Additionally, each fighter's purse earnings and where the revenue is divided must be in black and white.

12. No promoter may make more than 200% of the sum of the fighter's earnings off of a fight.

These are just some quick ideas and I know it's almost foolish to think they'd ever happen but hey...a man can dream right?
daprofessor
how would i clean up boxing???

with this....

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.