Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Lopez vs Alvarez
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
mgrover
Seriously what are golden boy thinking, if this is true I call this worse then the cherry picking done by Mannys team
BigFightFan
It's an intriguing match up eventhough Canelo has all the advantages. I'm sure they are going to use the Ortiz fight to make Lopez look like he is the toughest test of canelo's career.

We can talk down about this fight, but I'm sure everyone will be tuned in
Cshel86
This motherfucker better NOT be PPV.
BigFightFan
QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Jul 9 2012, 10:27 PM) *
This motherfucker better NOT be PPV.

Most likely they will try to sale it on ppv, but it would be wild if they go with CBS.
mitukczuk
Having one good fight, should not allow you risk your career. In my eyes, Lopez is not ready. Despite the fact Canelo is not a complete and world class fighter either.

It might be a nice fight though and I am hoping for an upset!
leonthegee
I cant believe GBP would do this to Lopez. I cant believe Canelo approved this shit. Im completely blown away by this shit.
leonthegee
Whos next? They gonna bring Ricky Hatton out of retirement.
mgrover
and the thought of mayorga being involved? I mean what the fuck, the man is obviously over the hill. has he actually fought anyone in the top ten yet?
BigFightFan
Lopez is in a win win situation even if he loses to Canelo. So why not take the fight? He will get a nice payday especially being under Haymon and if he loses he gets another pay day with the rematch against Victor " heartless" Ortiz.

The weight is the only concern I have, Lopez didn't make 147 for the Ortiz fight so I don't think he will come close to making 154.
mgrover
QUOTE (BigFightFan @ Jul 10 2012, 03:15 PM) *
Lopez is in a win win situation even if he loses to Canelo. So why not take the fight? He will get a nice payday especially being under Haymon and if he loses he gets another pay day with the rematch against Victor " heartless" Ortiz.

The weight is the only concern I have, Lopez didn't make 147 for the Ortiz fight so I don't think he will come close to making 154.

because it's about time Canelo was given a real test and not spoon fed opponents.
BoxingStill#1
Can we imagine what happens if Lopez pulls an upset?..lmao...

Ortiz, Canelo.. hahahahahah
Cshel86
The funny is (as I mentioned in another Canelo thread), they build him up to be this big superstar and attach this whole "sweepstakes" mess to his name. I cant blame GBP for building him up, its business.

The only part that I have with it is, whenever a formidable opponent is mentioned for Canelo, we suddenly hear, "He's still young, he's still growing, we have to bring him up slowly". WTF? C'mon man, which one is it?

I actually didn't mind the idea of a Mayorga fight for him, who doesn't like to see Mayorga fight? One thing's for sure, he ALWAYS puts on a show in the ring...win, lose, or draw. I actually didn't mind the idea of a Mayorga/Martinez matchup (to help further build Sergio's name).

One thing's for sure, between Canelo and Chavez, they're both fighting all of these guys out here...leaving nothing for Sergio laugh.gif Whether these guys are over the hill or not, both Chavez and Canelo are building their brand, on the strength of that alone.
flazi
this fight is wrong on so many levels. you take a guy who just moved up from 140 to what 144 and now move him up another weight class. canelo is way too big. this is bs
checkleft
When is Canelo gonna fight a legit 154 pounder. Should have stayed at 147 if he wanted to fight welterweights, he doesn't deserve a title.
Franchize
In all fairness, Canelo DID have 2 respectable opponents and things got ruined for reasons beyond his control. Therefore, I think the Top Prank spoon feeding comparison is a but unfair. However, this fight is a reach to say the least. This is almost like putting Canelo in with Rosinky lol Lopez had a good outing but damn. Talk about no foreplay lol Str8 tryna fuck us with a PPV already? They'd better not. I, for damn sure, aint buying this.
daprofessor
i won't rule out an upset win for josesito. stranger things have happened. he's a faster fighter who throws way more punches. if he can force a good pace onto canelo and avoid the incoming bombs i expect opie to throw...he may have a chance.

anyone remember jose cotto rocking canelo cunningham?
BoxingStill#1
QUOTE (daprofessor @ Jul 10 2012, 04:55 PM) *
i won't rule out an upset win for josesito. stranger things have happened. he's a faster fighter who throws way more punches. if he can force a good pace onto canelo and avoid the incoming bombs i expect opie to throw...he may have a chance.

anyone remember jose cotto rocking canelo cunningham?

What Canelo needs to deal with is someone with good movement and a healthy jab... most opponents Ive seen is zombies in there standing and taking an ass beating....... I guess we can attribute this to his body work and punching power, so I'll throw someone with a good chin in there also..

Idk folks, I personally believe Lopez deserves this fight. You beat the man who was hyped prematurely to fight Canelo. No its not the most notable name, and it sure as hell isnt the, historical night Oscar has been tweeting about, but its going to be a good fight to say the least. Its not PPV worthy IMO.. but it is definitely stream worthy.. lol
pacco_diablo
I like the idea of this fight. Lopez has some hype running behind him right now. Why not make it happen? He beat the man slotted to fight Alvarez. That's fair to me. Hell, we should have had a Sturm vs. Hopkins.

What's funny though is that during Lopez's last post fight interview they asked him about a possible matchup with Alverez, he didnt seem like he was ready for all that from his response. He sounded like he thought he needed more time. Now he's fighting him 3 months later, haha. LOVE IT!
Slumpage
I just don't get the logic in this bout. Just can't get past the weight issue mayn. All I know is, Lopez best hope Haymon got enough muscle to get him every single advantage possible, he gon need it! I'm talking rehydration weight limit clauses, ring the size of a tennis court, all that shit...

Otherwise he gonna get the swift
mrchitown
I just don't like the fact that lopez was at 140 and now he'll be fighting a 154lbs. I like him and he's definitely going to come to fight but this is that bullshit. Not even the best public relations expert could spend this tale from the pile of bullshit which it is. GB lost to TR on this one. The better fight is down the street and that's the one I'll be watching
checkleft
QUOTE (mrchitown @ Jul 11 2012, 12:53 AM) *
I just don't like the fact that lopez was at 140 and now he'll be fighting a 154lbs. I like him and he's definitely going to come to fight but this is that bullshit. Not even the best public relations expert could spend this tale from the pile of bullshit which it is. GB lost to TR on this one. The better fight is down the street and that's the one I'll be watching

As much as I hate to admit it I agree with you, TR has the better match up. But this is barring a cancellation of Martinez chavez (very possible) or some fucked up stipulations or lack of regulation. Because let's face it, why would gbp give Canelo any more advantages? He's already bigger stronger probably faster and is the favorite. While on the other hand I think chavez needs every advantage and lack of regulation he can get.
The Original MrFactor
I jokingly said that this would happen a few weeks back. (sarcasm starts again) If Lopez wins, he'll go back down to 140 for the chance to face Chavez Jr for the 160lb title(sarcasm off)
mrchitown
QUOTE (checkleft @ Jul 11 2012, 12:03 AM) *
As much as I hate to admit it I agree with you, TR has the better match up. But this is barring a cancellation of Martinez chavez (very possible) or some fucked up stipulations or lack of regulation. Because let's face it, why would gbp give Canelo any more advantages? He's already bigger stronger probably faster and is the favorite. While on the other hand I think chavez needs every advantage and lack of regulation he can get.

I wouldn't be surprised at a cancellation of this match either. Anything is possible in the sport of boxing this year. JCC jr definitely needs some advantages besides his massive weight gain on fight night...I just really believe that there were natural jr middleweights that Canelo could've fought and this is what they choose to sell the public. It's really not a good look in terms of public perception for GBP
Franchize
QUOTE (mrchitown @ Jul 11 2012, 09:17 PM) *
I wouldn't be surprised at a cancellation of this match either. Anything is possible in the sport of boxing this year. JCC jr definitely needs some advantages besides his massive weight gain on fight night...I just really believe that there were natural jr middleweights that Canelo could've fought and this is what they choose to sell the public. It's really not a good look in terms of public perception for GBP

I was thinking the same thing. I think this was a save face attempt to kinda recoup from two unforseen big time fights being canned. I can see the powers at b saying "I know we still want to make a good card, but not like this". This fight looks cute on paper but its all wrong. Its a very Top Prank-esque reach.
Cheesey1
Agreed that Lopez not being a true 154lber (or arguably even a true 147 guy) definitely takes a lot of the credibility out of this one. On the other hand it appears that Lopez' frame can handle the additional weight (I have to double check his height). I will say that from a weight discrepancy perspective, for me, it's better to see a boxer who seems to be physically able to handle the extra weight go up in weight, as opposed to coming down and being weight drained.

From Lopez' perspective, I agree also, it's a win-win for him, even if he loses (as long as it isn't a first round K.O).
Cshel86
If Lopez can make 150, then I'll be fine with that. I thought this was a huge mismatch, but he only came in at 144 for the Ortiz fight, so 150 shouldn't hurt him. Either way, he's going to be the smaller man.
daprofessor
i think lopez should come in at the weight he feels great at. if that happens to be under 147...then so be it. just put rolls of quarters in ur pocket and call it a day.

also...food for thought....

how many times has golden boy match making got it wrong?

list:

(feel free to add the times u can recall)
mrchitown
QUOTE (Franchize @ Jul 12 2012, 08:43 PM) *
I was thinking the same thing. I think this was a save face attempt to kinda recoup from two unforseen big time fights being canned. I can see the powers at b saying "I know we still want to make a good card, but not like this". This fight looks cute on paper but its all wrong. Its a very Top Prank-esque reach.

Your definitely right, they are reaching and it could come back to bite them in the ass
Cshel86
QUOTE (mrchitown @ Jul 13 2012, 09:26 PM) *
Your definitely right, they are reaching and it could come back to bite them in the ass

Wouldn't be the first time...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.