First I want to say I was very impressed with Lopez after the Ortiz fight. After seeing Canelo fight numeous times this is why I think Lopez can compete with Canelo.
1) Canelo might have the size advantage but hes not your typical Mexican fighter.
- Not a lead with his face pressure fighter, relys more on quality precision punching rather than quanity of punches. Canelo often takes the first half of rounds off. I believe Lopez could be able to outwork Canelo at times during the fight. With the 10-9 scoring system Lopez can steal 2 to 3 rounds that way. All he would have left is to win 3 to 4 more rounds. Not impossible
2) Lopez is a tall fighter, even for a 154lbs. Hes like 5' 10' with a 70" reach, thats only 1" shorter than Canelos (reach).
- And dude has the skill to fight taller. I like the way he was putting his punches together against Ortiz. Early in the fight it was the right hand. Later in the fight it was he uppercut.
3 Lopez has already been working on his power in anticipation of moving up to the heavier divisions.
- Lopez' punches were crisp from the 1st round (that is something I look for in fights). No pitting pat, slap boxing, Shane Mosley against Canelo punching. He was getting leverage/full extension on his punches, which was something I didnt see from Lopez early in his carreer. His punches were landing clean.
As Roger Mayweather would say, "size doesnt win fights." Everybodies all hung up on hes a JWW and not looking at the two fighters. Canelo fighting a JWW is not the same as Kirkland fighting a JWW. Canelos not the rough you up, lean on you against the ropes type fighter; where the size plays a major factor against your oppenent. I think this fights gonna take place in the middle of the ring. And skill wise I think Lopez is on the same level as Canelo.